Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Phimosissy posted:

I prefer the toothless dick sucking apples personally

This is where the poo poo is at.

Edit. Stay away from the GMO version, which has teeth.

Redrum and Coke has a new favorite as of 18:35 on Oct 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

:byoscience: There are only four naturally occurring citrus fruits, and the only one of them commonly eaten in the west is the mandarin orange. Everything else is .... unnatural.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Healthy skepticism of science is perfectly reasonable, my mother lived next-door to someone who ended up with a flipper baby, which left her in the "I only try anything new after it's been around for a couple years" camp.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
talking about papayas, there are so good. why do people hype up the mango when papayas are so much better

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker

Tired Moritz posted:

talking about papayas, there are so good. why do people hype up the mango when papayas are so much better

Wait til you try guava.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Tired Moritz posted:

Which papayas?
Chilean papayas are delicious.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Tired Moritz posted:

Some papayas taste the way gross unwashed feet smell. Unfortunately, those were the kind I was exposed to most often, and I cannot move past it, and heal.

For pro-tier uncommon fruits though I go nuts over kumquats whenever they're available.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

hell yea, did you guys know that many fruits are Good And Cool? they're so Tasty.. almost like humans have been eating and cultivating them since the dawn of time..

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

bongwizzard posted:

Healthy skepticism of science is perfectly reasonable, my mother lived next-door to someone who ended up with a flipper baby, which left her in the "I only try anything new after it's been around for a couple years" camp.

Healthy skepticism has nothing to do with screaming every time you imagine there's science near you.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Phimosissy posted:

I prefer the toothless dick sucking apples personally

Granny Smith called and wants her trademark back.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Choco1980 posted:

I find myself wondering, Trump's supporters are so ravenous, putting his name on everything, what will happen if he doesn't win next month? I mean to like, all the stuff, not the idea that all these right wing racist mouth-frothers are going to uprise, which is a legitimate thing to be afraid of.

sent as a gift to africa just like the shirts for the superbowl losers

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

CommonShore posted:

:byoscience: There are only four naturally occurring citrus fruits, and the only one of them commonly eaten in the west is the mandarin orange. Everything else is .... unnatural.

No poo poo, I have a couple pomelo trees growing at my house(pomelo is one of the four 'natural' citrus). These goddamn things are the size of small footballs, have a skin that's a full 1-1/4" thick with a very small edible portion inside. And it's not very edible either, tasting like a very strong grapefruit/lemon hybrid. If nobody had hybridized citrus fruit, nobody but sailors would have ever eaten it, hooray for GMO's.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

hyperhazard posted:

This chanel is incredibly pro-click, especially later videos where companies start sending him unusual things to crush. He even gets a transportable press to take on the road.

My favorite guy is AvE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?arduinoversusevil, very entertaining and Canadian dude who does a lot of hardware videos.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Re: GMOs

I was recently at a party once and there was a girl talking about how she doesn't trust GMOs, she only eats organic, she prefers to grow her own veges, etc etc. What do I see her doing after the party? Standing outside the convenience store chain smoking. There's some pretty big cognitive dissonance going on there.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yes, people lie.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Mu Zeta posted:

Yes, people lie.
Who says they weren't organic cigarettes? With a wrapping sourced from sustainable organic tree farms and organic, relatively unprocessed tobacco?

That makes them like a thousand times healthier, right?

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

LogicalFallacy posted:

Who says they weren't organic cigarettes? With a wrapping sourced from sustainable organic tree farms and organic, relatively unprocessed tobacco?

That makes them like a thousand times healthier, right?

They're organic because we say so!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Maybe she grows her own tobacco. Why are you jumping to conclusions?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I live in former tobacco country and always wanted to grow a little just for the hell of it, but have never gotten off my rear end and done so. I think it would make cute Christmas gifts.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

bongwizzard posted:

I live in former tobacco country and always wanted to grow a little just for the hell of it, but have never gotten off my rear end and done so. I think it would make cute Christmas gifts.

Here's some cancer. Merry Christmas

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

bongwizzard posted:

I've done it, and not even in tobacco country. It's easy and fun; you should try it. :) The hard part isn't the growing, it's processing it into something tasty and not throat-closingly bitter once it's grown.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Non Serviam posted:

Here's some cancer. Merry Christmas

We all die in the end, friend.

walrusman posted:

I've done it, and not even in tobacco country. It's easy and fun; you should try it. :) The hard part isn't the growing, it's processing it into something tasty and not throat-closingly bitter once it's grown.

Yeah, the curing part of it seemed a little intimidating but honestly there are so many abandoned curing barns tucked away in the woods around here I figured I could just commandeer one of them for the season.

Chewing tobacco seems like it would be the easiest to process, unless I could rig up the pasta attachment for my KitchenAid to cut thin ribbon tobacco.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I read that Slate article someone linked. I used to think Greenpeace was dumb, I didn't expect them to be evil.

quote:

Right now, across the world, a quarter of a billion preschool-age children are suffering from vitamin A deficiency. Every year, 250,000 to 500,000 of these kids go blind. Within a year, half of the blinded children will die. Much of the affliction is in Southeast Asia, where people rely on rice for their nutrition. Rice doesn’t have enough beta carotene—the compound that, when digested, produces vitamin A.

In 1999, Potrykus and his colleagues achieved their first breakthrough. By transferring genes from daffodils and bacteria, they created the world’s first beta carotene rice. The yellow grains became known as “Golden Rice.” President Clinton celebrated the achievement and urged GMO skeptics to do the same. He acknowledged that genetic engineering “tends to be treated as an issue of the interest of the agribusiness companies, and earning big profits, against food safety.” But in the case of vitamin A deficiency, the greater risk to health lay in doing nothing. “If we could get more of this Golden Rice … out to the develop[ing] world,” said Clinton, “it could save 40,000 lives a day.”

[...]Greenpeace was right about Golden Rice. At the time, the rice didn’t provide enough beta carotene to cure vitamin A deficiency. But neither did the alternatives.

[...]While critics tried to block the project, Potrykus and his colleagues worked to improve the rice. By 2003 they had developed plants with eight times as much beta carotene as the original version. In 2005 they unveiled a line that had 20 times as much beta carotene as the original. GMO critics could no longer dismiss Golden Rice as inadequate. So they reversed course. Now that the rice produced plenty of beta carotene, anti-GMO activists claimed that beta carotene and vitamin A were dangerous.

quote:

But as long as GMOs weren’t involved, Greenpeace was all for corporate and government control. It lauded the distribution of vitamin A and beta carotene capsules in “mass immunization campaigns.” It praised health officials and food-processing companies for putting vitamin A and beta carotene in sugar, margarine, and biscuits. It suggested that governments could “make fortification compulsory.”

If the rice delivers enough vitamin A, they say that’s a problem, too, because people won’t feel the need to eat other plants and will consequently develop other kinds of malnutrition. They claim that criminals will counterfeit the rice, using yellow spices or naturally yellow grains, so people will think they’re getting vitamin A when they aren’t.

Jesus Christ, gently caress Greenpeace.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
How stupid. If people would be willing to counterfeit golden rice using varieties that don't provide vitamin A they'd do the same for literally ANYTHING people added vitamin A/beta-carotene to. When the alternate solutions have the exact same downsides, bringing it up as a reason not to use it is a completely hollow argument.

then again it's greenpeace, who have overall shown themselves to be completely ignorant of basically everything

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Greenpeace went to poo poo in the Eighties when they shifted from a purely environmental activist organization (save the whales) to more of a political one(no nukes. Ever.)

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

JnnyThndrs posted:

Greenpeace went to poo poo in the Eighties when they shifted from a purely environmental activist organization (save the whales) to more of a political one(no nukes. Ever.)

Organisations like Greenpeace are a Dumb Move in Marketing because the stupid poo poo they do makes me a little more against the good parts of their message because it becomes associated with that stuff. They make me want more nukes, and also to kill whales with them. Nuke the Whales.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Edit: learn to refresh

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Slime posted:

Organisations like Greenpeace are a Dumb Move in Marketing because the stupid poo poo they do makes me a little more against the good parts of their message because it becomes associated with that stuff. They make me want more nukes, and also to kill whales with them. Nuke the Whales.

Exactly.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Slime posted:

How stupid. If people would be willing to counterfeit golden rice using varieties that don't provide vitamin A they'd do the same for literally ANYTHING people added vitamin A/beta-carotene to. When the alternate solutions have the exact same downsides, bringing it up as a reason not to use it is a completely hollow argument.

then again it's greenpeace, who have overall shown themselves to be completely ignorant of basically everything

Hanging out with a peruvian family, I heard yelling abou Greenpeace for almost an entire year
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/dec/10/peru-legal-action-greenpeace-stunt-nazca-lines

quote:

The activists entered a “strictly prohibited” area beside the figure of a hummingbird, the culture ministry said. They laid big yellow cloth letters reading: “Time for Change! The Future is Renewable.” The message was intended for delegates from 190 countries at the UN climate talks being held in Lima. Castillo said no one, not even presidents and cabinet ministers, was allowed where the activists had gone without authorisation and anyone who received permission must wear special shoes...
“They are absolutely fragile. They are black rocks on a white background. You walk there and the footprint is going to last hundreds or thousands of years,” Castillo said. “And the line that they have destroyed is the most visible and most recognised of all.”

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Slime posted:

See also Sea Shepherd - an organisation that made me side with whale hunters. And I love whales.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tofu Terry posted:

I think this is the thread this fits in. My peanut butter doesn't have an expiration date but it does say "PARTIALLY PRODUCED WITH GENETIC ENGINEERING"

M&Ms have a small label on them stating they were made with GMO products.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Andrast posted:

I really want those people to try eating natural wild bananas

Or wild almonds.

spog posted:

And I love whales.

You should, they're pretty tasty.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Slime posted:

Nuke the Whales.

Gotta nuke something.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

The Door Frame posted:

“They are absolutely fragile. They are black rocks on a white background. You walk there and the footprint is going to last hundreds or thousands of years,” Castillo said. “And the line that they have destroyed is the most visible and most recognised of all.”

Hah, I know this guy. It takes a lot to piss him off. He was very pissed off.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
My only criticism (as a former organic farm owner) of GMOs is that companies can patent their seeds. Companies patenting seeds scares me, because eventually we could see big-pharma type pricing schemes for Monsanto-brand seeds, and food production would be even further out of the everyman's grasp. They sued a farmer for having Monsanto alfalfa growing in his field, because wind had blown the seeds onto his land from a neighbouring farm.

Related: http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/mpa.asp

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

DavidAlltheTime posted:

My only criticism (as a former organic farm owner) of GMOs is that companies can patent their seeds. Companies patenting seeds scares me, because eventually we could see big-pharma type pricing schemes for Monsanto-brand seeds, and food production would be even further out of the everyman's grasp. They sued a farmer for having Monsanto alfalfa growing in his field, because wind had blown the seeds onto his land from a neighbouring farm.

Related: http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/mpa.asp

What case was that? I found one where a farmer was growing canola seed and said some of his crop got cross pollinated, but it turns out over 95% of his crop was roundup ready which means he isolated the Monsanto seeds, that wouldn't have happened by accident.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monsanto_Canada_Inc._v._Schmeiser?wprov=sfsi1

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

DavidAlltheTime posted:

They sued a farmer for having Monsanto alfalfa growing in his field, because wind had blown the seeds onto his land from a neighbouring farm.

The farmer intentionally grew the seeds and they didn't accidentally blow onto his land. The farmer just lied about it. The canadian supreme court also voted in favor of Monsanto in the case.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What could go wrong with a drug conglomerate like Bayer buying Monsanto for $62 billion?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Re: GMOs

I was recently at a party once and there was a girl talking about how she doesn't trust GMOs, she only eats organic, she prefers to grow her own veges, etc etc. What do I see her doing after the party? Standing outside the convenience store chain smoking. There's some pretty big cognitive dissonance going on there.

Humans are pretty stupid, short-sighted, and inconsistent in their beliefs. Never forget that we're smelly, hairy apes mostly ruled by our base urges to eat and gently caress.

This isn't some "lol I'm better than you :smug:" post. I'm not an exception to those things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/kthorjensen/status/787338776884289536

I don't know why marketing executives want me to gently caress my food.