Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Darko posted:

Tien introduced himself as Tien Shin Han, they just apparently use his "first name" in the show a lot.

thats dumb his full naME IS TENSHINHAN AND HE IS THE sTRONGEST HUMAN ALIVE!!!

kuririn doesn't even have a nose :colbert:

We need more Tenshinhan in our lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

his lack of nose makes him powerful, or did you not see the first tournament

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

a cartoon duck posted:

The German dub tended to just call several characters by their full name all the time, so Goku was always called Son Goku and Tien was always called Tien Shinhan. Or is it actually just Tienshinhan as a single name and the English dub just shortened it? gently caress if I know. the Turtle Hermit was also called Muten Roshi but I think that's just what Turtle Hermit is in Japanese?

Attack names were also usually kept in Japanese so I still think of the Spirit Bomb as the Genki Dama.

Latin American dub also just called it Genki Dama and Tien Shin Han.

Roshi's called Master Roshi most of the time here, and we got Kami-sama, Kaio-sama instead of King Kai and Supreme Kaio-sama for the Kaioshin.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Tenshinhan. The Latin American dub never added that weird i, and it never added a weird i to Freezer.

What's with your dub and adding Is to characters that don't need it?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
PT-BR dub calls Roshi Master Kame.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Deep cut

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

HitTheTargets posted:

The canonically best attack is Hawaiian, so do that instead.

Also, I'm surprised there was never a villain named Pineapple with a minion named Poi. That's Dragonball AF.

:confused:

Spidder
Jan 9, 2005
Also lol @ the US dub changing every single foreign word or concept into a toddler-friendly western equivalent, yet leaving 'Kami' as 'Kami' due to being terrified of knee jerk american christians going lawsuit-crazy over an alien slug-man being God :laffo:

Spidder fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 15, 2016

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
im glad of it because destructo disk and special beam cannon are things that don't sound like complete nonsense to me

Spidder
Jan 9, 2005

CharlestonJew posted:

im glad of it because destructo disk and special beam cannon are things that don't sound like complete nonsense to me

What would be so bad about 'Slice Disk' or 'Demon Drill' or something that actual carries the meaning of what it is, instead of just random unrelated word names?

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Spirit Bomb is a better name than Healthy Ball.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Spidder posted:

What would be so bad about 'Slice Disk' or 'Demon Drill' or something that actual carries the meaning of what it is, instead of just random unrelated word names?

well for starters slice disk sounds terrible

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I don't think any of the attacks were translated in the Latin American/PT-BR dub (I think they also mostly shared scripts, because that happened a bunch back in the day), which actually made poo poo a bit confusing. Taiyoken AND Kaioken?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Why did the english name decider decide the Genki Dama (spirit bomb) and Sokidan (spirit ball) needed to sound so similar.

Spidder
Jan 9, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

well for starters slice disk sounds terrible

'Destructo Disk' sounds x1000 worse unless you grew up with it. 'Destructo' isn't even a word. :goku: :911:

e: also it's MEANT to sound stupid, the original japanese is a pun on flower arrangement

Spidder fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 15, 2016

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

projecthalaxy posted:

Why did the english name decider decide the Genki Dama (spirit bomb) and Sokidan (spirit ball) needed to sound so similar.

when was the last time the spirit ball was used

last i heard of it it was one of yamcha's moves in xenoverse

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Gruckles posted:

Spirit Bomb is a better name than Healthy Ball.

Absolutely wrong.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
According to the DBZ Wiki, this is the best Genkidama name: Al-Mawt Al-Muḥattam (الموت المحتّم, "The Inevitable Death"; Arabic Dub)

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

CharlestonJew posted:

when was the last time the spirit ball was used

last i heard of it it was one of yamcha's moves in xenoverse

It's one of those moves that's too complicated for the idiot Saiyans to use but let a human being put God on his rear end.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

destructo disk is good stupid, slice disc is google translate stupid imo

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Dias posted:

According to the DBZ Wiki, this is the best Genkidama name: Al-Mawt Al-Muḥattam (الموت المحتّم, "The Inevitable Death"; Arabic Dub)
Suffice to say it was really cringey considering how often it failed to do that.

I think the dumbest version is the French one, called the UNIVERSAL FORCE.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Nothing is worse than the spain dub saying ONDA GLACIAR (Glacial Wave) for the Kamehameha

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Which is the one where Krillin is given the name "Infinite Hands"?

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Probably the one where Piccolo's called Uncle Moton
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUvJP2X2JMI

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Manatee Cannon posted:

destructo disk is good stupid, slice disc is google translate stupid imo

Each time i hear or read that name, I think "yeah, this sounds like a name Krillllllllllurinin came up with."

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Prowler posted:

Each time i hear or read that name, I think "yeah, this sounds like a name Krillllllllllurinin came up with."

i'd have called it "close shave" then

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Dias posted:

i'd have called it "close shave" then

Damnit, I want to empty quote this.

Also want to take this time to remind everyone that Krillin with hair is...weird.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

Wheat Loaf posted:

Which is the one where Krillin is given the name "Infinite Hands"?

All I can say is that "Bongo" is from the Harmony Gold dub.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I genuine love how many different ridiculous Dragonball dubs there are.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

How did that work anyway? Did Toei or whoever just sell the DBZ license over and over? Were none of the translations (until Funimation, I suppose) officially licensed?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Spidder posted:

'Destructo Disk' sounds x1000 worse unless you grew up with it. 'Destructo' isn't even a word. :goku: :911:

e: also it's MEANT to sound stupid, the original japanese is a pun on flower arrangement

you're insane

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Darko posted:

Tien introduced himself as Tien Shin Han, they just apparently use his "first name" in the show a lot.

Every now and then somebody would really emphasize it, like T. N. Shinhan

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Solar Flare is a good name

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Leroy Dennui posted:

All I can say is that "Bongo" is from the Harmony Gold dub.

According to that website "Infinite Hands" is from the Speedy dub of the Bojack movie (same place as Piccolo being called "Uncle Moton" posted earlier).

My favourite is Piccolo played by Arnold Schwarzenegger doing a Mako impression telling wimpy Vegeta that his mind has been damagely corrupted.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

You mean Whiskers the Wonder Cat actually happened? :allears:

I never knew I missed so much from only reading the mangas

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
Nothing will ever beat King Kai going on a rant about black human beings or Broly's Father reciting Shakespeare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl2-xuUffi4

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

Wheat Loaf posted:

According to that website "Infinite Hands" is from the Speedy dub of the Bojack movie (same place as Piccolo being called "Uncle Moton" posted earlier).

I knew him, Uncle Moton; a man of Infinite Hands.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

projecthalaxy posted:

How did that work anyway? Did Toei or whoever just sell the DBZ license over and over? Were none of the translations (until Funimation, I suppose) officially licensed?

I'm also incredibly curious.

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

projecthalaxy posted:

If I understand correctly, Toei just dumped it off on who ever had the money, and didn't really care what was done with it, as long as they got paid. They would also send either incomplete or improper translations, which is part of why the original Funi dub is so bad. Funimation also used the Spanish language scripts for their adaptation really early on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Wait, so where the hell did stuff like Vegeta saying Goku's father was "an average fighter but a brilliant scientist" originate from then? These Spanish scripts?

• Locked thread