Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Xander77 posted:

Depending on what you mean by "focus on", I wrote a thing.

This looks like pretty much exactly what I mean thanks. The stuff that I could figure out myself in 20 hours of gameplay or just know straight up that some skill points are trash, what I will find easily in the world/what I should be very careful with using and what stuff is unique to the Witcher vs another game that I might be used to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh my god the morning after you get wasted and you have a full cutscene about what to do with Uma and then control comes back to you and the camera zooms out and you're not wearing any trousers

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

MikeJF posted:

Oh my god the morning after you get wasted and you have a full cutscene about what to do with Uma and then control comes back to you and the camera zooms out and you're not wearing any trousers

Geralt has a history of losing his clothes because he drinks.

The Witcher: Witch Hard, Play Harder

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yess got Witcher Ciri ending, despite being convinced up until like the last thirty seconds that having the bare-assed temerity to accompany her to a difficult sorceress conversation had sealed her doom

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Not every dad is perfect. What matters is that you try.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Hahaha this was amazing. I was wearing the bear school chest piece with the flowy robe so I didn't even notice right away.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Pamparam. Pampamparam.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEhhuyjq2Yo

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Where's the mod that lets Geralt permanently wear Yennefer's outfit. :colbert:

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Bogart posted:

Where's the mod that lets Geralt permanently wear Yennefer's outfit. :colbert:

Those pants have same bonus to sign power as entire set of mastercrafted griffin armor

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I beat the base game a few weeks ago and didn't want to get burned out by jumping straight into the expansions... but I think it's time.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
Is the vineyard in Touissant really nothing but a place to give you some perks and stuff? Seems like it should be able to generate some revenue or something. At least logically speaking.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
Oh gently caress. My wife just finished the game and I asked her what ending she got. She seemed confused so I asked her what happened to Ciri and she just said "What? She's gone I guess? I thought at the end the end there would be something about Yennefer too..." Then I realized she got the bad ending and don't know how to tell her without pissing her off :doh:.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

insider posted:

Oh gently caress. My wife just finished the game and I asked her what ending she got. She seemed confused so I asked her what happened to Ciri and she just said "What? She's gone I guess? I thought at the end the end there would be something about Yennefer too..." Then I realized she got the bad ending and don't know how to tell her without pissing her off :doh:.

Tell your wife she's a bad dad.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

insider posted:

Tell her you're never having kids with a bad dad.

e:gently caress^

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

insider posted:

Please tell her and then immediately report back. I need to see this play out. :allbuttons:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Honey... I'm not sure how say this but... how about a game of Gwent?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Talk about how loving awesome the W3 experience was and that although she got the "bad" ending, the cues for the "good" endings are very subtle and she really shouldn't feel badly about the ending. It is extremely in character and fits with the setting and tone while being absolutely brutal.

I think it's perfectly okay on repeat playthroughs to spoil yourself on where many quests branch because Witcher 3 is far more subtle and realistic in how your actions and dialogue affect outcomes than most RPGs.'

edit: for example one of the most common slightly-spoiler suggestions is to not "forcefully shove" a certain character, because it will abruptly end an important quest chain.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Oct 16, 2016

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I just feel the need to point out that I, as Geralt, was a FANTASTIC dad. :smuggo:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Every time I see 3+ highlighted dialogue options that are all equally vague, I pray Ciri doesn't die. Even when I'm looking for some peasant's lost dog/kid/spouse/whatever.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Pellisworth posted:

Talk about how loving awesome the W3 experience was and that although she got the "bad" ending, the cues for the "good" endings are very subtle and she really shouldn't feel badly about the ending. It is extremely in character and fits with the setting and tone while being absolutely brutal.

I've been thinking a lot about the ending, because I initially got the bad ending from a playthrough where I thought I'd been Good Dad all the way through. This might just be me being a dummy and not picking up on obvious cues, but I felt the game could've been a lot clearer that Ciri needs to learn how to be an adult; so much of her early sections involve Geralt's memories of her that by the time we met, I was so used to thinking of her as a kid/someone I'd do anything to protect that I kept making bad choices for good reasons. I had the snowball fight, because what kind of monster wouldn't, but I encouraged her to exercise restraint instead of destroying that poor elf's house (because good witchers/monster huntin' empresses have self-control), and I went with her to meet with the Lodge because they're all conniving jerks who will twist everything around their little finger, and Ciri hasn't had enough dealings with them to be properly suspicious. Objectively the bad ending makes sense, since I did pretty effectively undercut her self-confidence by doing things she needs to do for herself, but I felt the game never really told me that was happening until the ending itself.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
So I bought this on special after hearing how good it was and yeah, it's good. Do the expansions add content to the base game or are they completely seperate? Just wondering if I should buy them while on sale or grab them now so my first playthrough has everything in it.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

Fun Shoe

fuckpot posted:

So I bought this on special after hearing how good it was and yeah, it's good. Do the expansions add content to the base game or are they completely seperate? Just wondering if I should buy them while on sale or grab them now so my first playthrough has everything in it.

I don't know about Heart of Stone, but Blood and Wine adds a new area you can travel to and from freely. All its quests seem to take place in that area, although there are some bonuses that carry over to the rest of the areas (i.e. new armors, weapons and character upgrades.) Also, it does seem to change some dialogue based on whether or not you finished the main story line.

I'm currently playing through it after finishing the main story line, since it didn't really feel right for Geralt to travel way south to go on an adventure in beautiful not-France when he's busy saving his kid.

E: Also, you need to be around level 35 for both of them.

Joda fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Oct 16, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Omi no Kami posted:

I've been thinking a lot about the ending, because I initially got the bad ending from a playthrough where I thought I'd been Good Dad all the way through. This might just be me being a dummy and not picking up on obvious cues, but I felt the game could've been a lot clearer that Ciri needs to learn how to be an adult; so much of her early sections involve Geralt's memories of her that by the time we met, I was so used to thinking of her as a kid/someone I'd do anything to protect that I kept making bad choices for good reasons. I had the snowball fight, because what kind of monster wouldn't, but I encouraged her to exercise restraint instead of destroying that poor elf's house (because good witchers/monster huntin' empresses have self-control), and I went with her to meet with the Lodge because they're all conniving jerks who will twist everything around their little finger, and Ciri hasn't had enough dealings with them to be properly suspicious. Objectively the bad ending makes sense, since I did pretty effectively undercut her self-confidence by doing things she needs to do for herself, but I felt the game never really told me that was happening until the ending itself.

Even better is the fact Avallach tells you to/implies that you should undercut Ciri and teach her self-restraint. I think it works really well to make you feel a sense of regret.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Omi no Kami posted:

that poor elf

gently caress that dude. gently caress him right in his ear :colbert:

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
So i just loaded this up after like a year of not playing it to play the expansions... the game is extremely dark and vibrant glowing.. almost like its a haze across everything with super metal lens flare.

Any one know how to fix this?

Also, i7-4770k
16 gig ram
980 Ti
intel SSD..

system is everything is on ULTRA and runs smooth at 1080

TipsyMcStagger fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Oct 16, 2016

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

Fun Shoe
Can you provide a screenshot? Also, I assume you keep your drivers up to date.

E: It kind of sounds like a gamma issue. If your screenshot looks right, even though it looks wrong in game, try playing around with gamma options.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

TipsyMcStagger posted:

So i just loaded this up after like a year of not playing it to play the expansions... the game is extremely dark and vibrant glowing.. almost like its a haze across everything with super metal lens flare.

Any one know how to fix this?

Also, i7-4770k
16 gig ram
980 Ti
intel SSD..

system is everything is on ULTRA and runs smooth at 1080
Check out your Gamma and brightness levels.
Turn off Bloom/SSAO first.

How long's it been since you've installed new graphics drivers?

Does it do it right from the start, or after you alt-tab? If you aren't, run it in full screen, not windowed.

Maybe adjust your OS brightness, or your Nvidia control panel one?

Otherwise, Just turn off all the otpions and try adding them one by one.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Jerusalem posted:

gently caress that dude. gently caress him right in his ear :colbert:

Yea, so who the hell was that? Did he do something mean in witcher 1/2 that I forgot about? Everyone in the game seemed to hate him, but all I ever saw him do was be a fairly cool bro to Ciri. (gently caress his girlfriend though, she was a dick to us.)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I've raved about Geralt's facial animation before but loving hell the scene where he finds Ciri and thinks she's dead

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Haha, I just realized you can meet the soldier with dysentery whose buds were going to beat up the Pellar for giving them a bad remedy. There's an outhouse beside the main castle at Crow's Perch with two soldiers outside complaining that their friend won't stop hogging it.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

MikeJF posted:

I've raved about Geralt's facial animation before but loving hell the scene where he finds Ciri and thinks she's dead

Yeah, I'm torn between that and Shani's bemused scoff/smirk as my favourite animation moments.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Hexenritter posted:

Yeah, I'm torn between that and Shani's bemused scoff/smirk as my favourite animation moments.

You know how Ciri dies if Geralt is a Bad Dad? I'd been spoiled on that, but didn't know it was tied to the ending-ending; when I first got that scene I thought it meant I'd hosed up already.

It's not the most technically impressive, but my favorite animation moment from the entire game is probably the scene we discussed earlier where GYC vandalize Avallac'h's home. There's just so much pure joy on display from all three of them, especially with how gleefully Ciri moves as she swings that sword around.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Omi no Kami posted:

You know how Ciri dies if Geralt is a Bad Dad? I'd been spoiled on that, but didn't know it was tied to the ending-ending; when I first got that scene I thought it meant I'd hosed up already.

It's not the most technically impressive, but my favorite animation moment from the entire game is probably the scene we discussed earlier where GYC vandalize Avallac'h's home. There's just so much pure joy on display from all three of them, especially with how gleefully Ciri moves as she swings that sword around.

ha,, yeah I could see how that spoiler could have led to that conclusion.

The overall animation throughout the entire game has been head and shoulders above anything else I've ever played. There are just so many little quirks of movement, so many small, seemingly superfluous bits that come together to really make the characters come alive. Can't wait for Cyberpunk :dance:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
My favorit bit of animation is during Cabaret when you help Dandelion convince his choreographer's husband that there would be money involved. Just that slow realization that dawns across the peasant's face.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Drifter posted:

Check out your Gamma and brightness levels.
Turn off Bloom/SSAO first.

How long's it been since you've installed new graphics drivers?

Does it do it right from the start, or after you alt-tab? If you aren't, run it in full screen, not windowed.

Maybe adjust your OS brightness, or your Nvidia control panel one?

Otherwise, Just turn off all the otpions and try adding them one by one.

Turns out it was a driver issue from the geforce august drivers, once I installed the lastest ones it fixed the problem.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

fuckpot posted:

They're separate and end-game content. You can safely wait until you finish the main game to buy the expansions, there are a few dialogue references in Hearts of Stone if you haven't beat the base game but it's nothing major and you won't miss any significant content.

They're basically just additional chapters in the adventures of Geralt.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm so happy you've decided to fling levels at me, game, but could you give me a loving chance to forge some armour at some point?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Omi no Kami posted:

That scene also includes my favourite facial animation (aside from Shani's scoffsmirk). They somehow successfully animated "trying really really hard not to smile" on Yennefer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Omi no Kami posted:

Yea, so who the hell was that? Did he do something mean in witcher 1/2 that I forgot about? Everyone in the game seemed to hate him, but all I ever saw him do was be a fairly cool bro to Ciri. (gently caress his girlfriend though, she was a dick to us.)

Regarding A'vallach, he and Eredin both served under the previous king of the Aen Elle before Eredin murdered him and took the crown for himself (this all took place before the game trilogy). Back then he was just as intent on using Ciri's Elder blood for benefit of the Aen Elle as Eredin was. As should be apparent in the game, he is still creepily obsessed with the fact that she is descended from the famous elven sorceress Lara Dorren, whom he had a gigantic crush on. It's pretty natural that Geralt & co mainly want him to stay far away from Ciri as a result.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 16, 2016