Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
My XBox One S controller doesn't vibrate any more since the patch :( EDIT: Working again after a reboot. Restarting the game didn't help, but a reboot fixed it.

Wheelspin report: 105 spins, 9 new cars (6 of which I already owned) + 1 HE car, almost 2M credits although 400k of that was from getting cash for the cars.

Is the FFB any better? I'd hate to get my wheel out and attach it an all that just to be disappointed.

CapnBry fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

No, the FFB still feels like garbage on PC. Tested with thrustmaster tx and clubsport 3 pedals with a basherboard cpx adapter.

Forza apex with the same setup feels alright.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
How in the gently caress are Sylvia K's '94s going for 1-2mil in featured auctions? All of them have the same lovely mass logo stamp paint job too. I have one so it can't be that rare.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

a mysterious cloak posted:

I'm going to commit murder if I don't spin a car soon, jesus loving christ

And how are you guys buying wheelspins?

There's a skill you can buy for 10 pts I believe in the second skill tree that lets you pay 50k credits for a wheelspin whenever you want. Say goodbye to all that money you have!

Edit:

♪I believe I can flyyyy♪

explosivo fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 15, 2016

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Holy poo poo you can use the upgrade screen and the paintroom without 5fps now!

Also taking pictures through fences is fun.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

So I picked up FH3 when there was a Target pricing error on it. It looks gorgeous and is fun to play, but I am thinking about digging a little bit deeper.

Is there, like, a guide for dummies on how to drive? I don't know how cars actually work and can't drive manual in real life, and I get the sense there's a lot of intricacies if I decide to turn off a lot of the arcade-y options

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Shumagorath posted:

How in the gently caress are Sylvia K's '94s going for 1-2mil in featured auctions? All of them have the same lovely mass logo stamp paint job too. I have one so it can't be that rare.

I haven't even gotten mine yet.

redhalo
May 19, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

It was a one day event thus far to get one and highy requested...so I would say that does make it quite rare?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
It was the Forzathon prize for doing something really simple though. Most of those auctions had no bids.

My Focus HE isn't moving at 500k despite having a 5-star / legendary tuner setup. Is it better to start around 200-300k and let people go nuts bidding? I sniped it for cheap but I've seen drift kill bonus cars go for above 1mil.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

geeves posted:

Nope. No messages anywhere. No Button anywhere to reclaim. I shouldn't have to do that. Bid failed, money should be back in the bank. I shouldn't need a button that says "do you want your money back?"

Your money should be reclaimable by going to the auction house and selecting My Bids. Select the auction you lost and it will say "Reclaim money".

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Game is running much better

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006
Game is running no better than before really, and still crashes all the time.

Upgrade menus work much better though

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Game seemed to be running better, upgrade menu was still lagging, but not as much as before. Then I had to quit because the game started stuttering like crazy after I left the garage :cool:

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

geeves posted:

So? That was Forza 4. From five years ago. Which I (and many others) never played. That doesn't excuse lovely UX then or now.

So Buttons.

Anyway, it's how the goofy poo poo works. Now you know, and knowing is half the battle. Forza being what it is, we are fortunate the AH even exists at all, and isn't tied in to some weird microtransaction bullshit.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
New patch is legit. Stable 1080P@60fps on Ultra finally achieved.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Cubey posted:

Your money should be reclaimable by going to the auction house and selecting My Bids. Select the auction you lost and it will say "Reclaim money".

It's not there.

Atmus posted:

So Buttons.

Anyway, it's how the goofy poo poo works. Now you know, and knowing is half the battle. Forza being what it is, we are fortunate the AH even exists at all, and isn't tied in to some weird microtransaction bullshit.

True. Usually I am pretty good about just letting things slide - especially games like this that are trying to reach a massive audience quickly. Just everything about this game has just been "wrong" for me.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Atmus posted:

Forza being what it is, we are fortunate the AH even exists at all, and isn't tied in to some weird microtransaction bullshit.

While I get what you're saying, this is a really poo poo attitude that way too many gamers have these days and has led to an insane amount of anti-consumer practices. I'm glad the AH is back, sure, but it never should have been gone. Car clubs as well, and to say nothing of the loving abhorrent pile of poo poo they replaced the old storefront with. Saying 'oh we should be thankful that at least blah blah blah' about a product you are paying money for is toxic to pro-consumer ideas, and even in games I really loving love like this one, we should not be encouraging this kind of thinking. Press companies on dumb poo poo that they should not do or should have done differently, we're giving them our money for gently caress's sake, and in some cases we're giving them a whole lot for special editions and poo poo. There's no situation in which we should get on our knees and grovel at their feet for being kind enough to re-implement poo poo from 5 years ago.

geeves posted:

It's not there.

That's weird. I had heard of auctions sometimes getting stuck back in Forza 4 and people not getting their money back, or the cars they won, for a couple days. If it isn't fixed soon, maybe shoot them an email, they actually do answer them usually.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
finalized my nissan/toyota collections with buying out their luxury lines as well:

to infiniti and beyond!

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Cubey posted:

That's weird. I had heard of auctions sometimes getting stuck back in Forza 4 and people not getting their money back, or the cars they won, for a couple days. If it isn't fixed soon, maybe shoot them an email, they actually do answer them usually.

I'll see if it shows up tomorrow. Hopefully my Silvia is also waiting for me as well.

I really want to like this game, I loved FH2. But it just seems like one thing after another doesn't work as expected. The biggest annoyance is none of my cars import. Only one has successfully. The rest say parts don't match, yet I built identical cars and tunes.

What I do like is that it seems you can race any PI you want and the AI will be +/- 25-50 PI around you so you can build a car and go and not worry about it. That's a good improvement over FH2.

I wish we could build our own races like GTA since we have the open map. Maybe FH4.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
FH2 did exactly the same thing with AI PI.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So I picked up FH3 when there was a Target pricing error on it. It looks gorgeous and is fun to play, but I am thinking about digging a little bit deeper.

Is there, like, a guide for dummies on how to drive? I don't know how cars actually work and can't drive manual in real life, and I get the sense there's a lot of intricacies if I decide to turn off a lot of the arcade-y options

I don't have a license, but learning how to drive relatively (!!!) realistic video game cars with assists turned off is all about physics for me. Momentum, energy, weight transfer and all that jazz is intuitive if you just imagine how an object with applied force would act in a given situation. That kind of thinking is what made me good at rally games, especially.

Then it's the whole driving thing. Trying to explain it when I don't actually know how to drive a car (and you do, apparently) is kind of hopeless, but a gentle touch is very important. Acceleration and braking in supercars is way harder than your mom's Honda, and learning to go slow when you need to go slow is super important. Turn off the in-game racing line, and learn about the the actual racing line. Get a feel for how slow you need to go to avoid spinning out, go gentle on the brakes, and throttle up when you're out.

And going manual is not only fun, it also makes you a better video game driver. Way back I tried asking for advice on shifting in the Dirt Rally thread, but I didn't get very far, because it's actually pretty simple. Shift up at the redline, shift down when you need to go slow. Eventually you'll get a feel for what gear you need to be in when you enter a turn. Enter, downshift, turn, accelerate at the most effective gear. Gears and drifting is another beast, but you'll get a feel for that too.

Then again, this is FH3, and it is arcadey. Trying to Assetto Corsa FH3 is kind of overkill, and trying to FH3 Assetto Corsa will just loving kill me, but learning how to drive video game cars is still very fun.

Edit: Also, drive cars stock to really get a feel for how different cars act. Upgrades are fun, but if you get too upgrade heavy, everything turns into either a boring supercar, or an unmanageable V12 fuckparty.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Cubey posted:

While I get what you're saying, this is a really poo poo attitude that way too many gamers have these days and has led to an insane amount of anti-consumer practices. I'm glad the AH is back, sure, but it never should have been gone. Car clubs as well, and to say nothing of the loving abhorrent pile of poo poo they replaced the old storefront with. Saying 'oh we should be thankful that at least blah blah blah' about a product you are paying money for is toxic to pro-consumer ideas, and even in games I really loving love like this one, we should not be encouraging this kind of thinking. Press companies on dumb poo poo that they should not do or should have done differently, we're giving them our money for gently caress's sake, and in some cases we're giving them a whole lot for special editions and poo poo. There's no situation in which we should get on our knees and grovel at their feet for being kind enough to re-implement poo poo from 5 years ago.

Which is why I said "We're fortunate" rather than "We should be thankful".

Still waiting for Forza to try and copy GTA's shark money or whatever it's called again, and I'm surprised they didn't do it and tie the auction house to it somehow.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Game is good, thread is bad.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I was happily able to collect my credits from the bid that I lost. So I sat and got into a bidding war on the Jaguar F-Type HE that I wanted and won it at just over 852k, and I'm happy with that. It's less that what I collected back (money I thought I had lost.)
Now I've won a '17 Focus HE for 500k with no competition. Yeah I probably could have gotten one cheaper, I didn't really shop around.

I think I will try to get a '65 Mini HE and the GT-R Black HE, but I don't plan on going too crazy with the bids. I'm feeling plucky.

Hell yeah, won the Nissan for 580k. I think this will hold me over for now. Hopefully I spin some cool cars playing this weekend and I'll livery them up and flip them to make some credits back. This could be fun.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 16, 2016

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
anti-consumer

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Made the Centrifugal supercharged miata i wish i owned in the game. its pretty good in B class.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdaMPZtLd_c

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Oct 16, 2016

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Black Griffon posted:

I don't have a license, but learning how to drive relatively (!!!) realistic video game cars with assists turned off is all about physics for me. Momentum, energy, weight transfer and all that jazz is intuitive if you just imagine how an object with applied force would act in a given situation. That kind of thinking is what made me good at rally games, especially.

Then it's the whole driving thing. Trying to explain it when I don't actually know how to drive a car (and you do, apparently) is kind of hopeless, but a gentle touch is very important. Acceleration and braking in supercars is way harder than your mom's Honda, and learning to go slow when you need to go slow is super important. Turn off the in-game racing line, and learn about the the actual racing line. Get a feel for how slow you need to go to avoid spinning out, go gentle on the brakes, and throttle up when you're out.

And going manual is not only fun, it also makes you a better video game driver. Way back I tried asking for advice on shifting in the Dirt Rally thread, but I didn't get very far, because it's actually pretty simple. Shift up at the redline, shift down when you need to go slow. Eventually you'll get a feel for what gear you need to be in when you enter a turn. Enter, downshift, turn, accelerate at the most effective gear. Gears and drifting is another beast, but you'll get a feel for that too.

Then again, this is FH3, and it is arcadey. Trying to Assetto Corsa FH3 is kind of overkill, and trying to FH3 Assetto Corsa will just loving kill me, but learning how to drive video game cars is still very fun.

Edit: Also, drive cars stock to really get a feel for how different cars act. Upgrades are fun, but if you get too upgrade heavy, everything turns into either a boring supercar, or an unmanageable V12 fuckparty.

Thanks for the tips! Also, I took a look at that link, and that Driving Fast site is exactly what I'm looking for in terms of a guide with a bunch of diagrams and charts and poo poo

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Atmus posted:

Which is why I said "We're fortunate" rather than "We should be thankful".

Point taken. I just see a lot of people saying that sort of thing and it really irks me, sorry that I misinterpreted what you meant.

Atmus posted:

Still waiting for Forza to try and copy GTA's shark money or whatever it's called again, and I'm surprised they didn't do it and tie the auction house to it somehow.

I don't think there's as much of a chance of that happening. I blame a lot of the shittier ideas in Forza and other first-party titles on when Microsoft was headed by absolute buffoons, and they're gone now. I think Turn 10 cares more about the series than to do that sort of poo poo and I don't think Microsoft will pressure them into doing it at this point.

Dr. Faustus posted:

Now I've won a '17 Focus HE for 500k with no competition. Yeah I probably could have gotten one cheaper, I didn't really shop around.

That's actually less expensive than it usually goes for from what I've seen. It usually ends at around 800k for whatever reason, so you got a good deal.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Thanks for the tips! Also, I took a look at that link, and that Driving Fast site is exactly what I'm looking for in terms of a guide with a bunch of diagrams and charts and poo poo

Despite its age, this video is also a good primer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZw7ZnxWKjs

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Cubey posted:

That's actually less expensive than it usually goes for from what I've seen. It usually ends at around 800k for whatever reason, so you got a good deal.
O that's good to know. I had no experience with the AH before tonight except for losing that one car. I've got a pretty nifty set of HE cars now and I'm not expecting to mess with them too much.

Before now I never considered I might actually enjoy playing real-life Forza eBay. Weird.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

whoosh

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJSrwTq33V4&index=11&list=PLGvTvFzdMg_N86Ovr05-wgrjTam_2tH-p

Very informative videos for performance driving

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007

This needs a Trump Border Patrol scheme so you can live out the fantasies of hopping across the Outback southwestern American desert in hot pursuit of dirty illegals.

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Pinny posted:

Game is running no better than before really, and still crashes all the time.

Upgrade menus work much better though

Pretty much this. maybe a little less stuttery.

The co-op/mp is still hosed for me and my friends and just will not work for longer than about 3 minutes.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Some pics before I crash:

(Not) Keket spent some time teaching me to drift. He gave me a tune for this iconic car so I appropriated the livery for myself:

Made this last week for a championship... Opel Kadet with a bit of a palette-swap, sorta. It's a drift-happy car at only D500!

Getting ready to leave for work in my new black & white GT-R Black Horizon Edition:

GRRC Club and Ladder standings @ 08:00 Sunday 10/16:

Top Ladder XP at the moment (should reset soon for week three). I managed to get enough XP tonight to almost make the top 3rd. O well. Maybe next week?:

Looking for Campaign Co-op pals tonight, late. Happy Sunday, all!

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

By the way, what difficulty do you guys keep the AI on? I've always found it hard to figure out where the line between fun and frustrating is when it comes to racing AI, especially in a game like this with such a wide range of tunings, classes and cars.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Black Griffon posted:

By the way, what difficulty do you guys keep the AI on? I've always found it hard to figure out where the line between fun and frustrating is when it comes to racing AI, especially in a game like this with such a wide range of tunings, classes and cars.

Err on the side of using a lower difficulty. If you start blowing away the competition, the game will actually bring this to your attention and offer to raise the difficulty one notch, and will do so until your generally evenly matched with competitors.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Also since the drivatars in this game aren't affected by physics like the player car I race one or two notches down from what I had in FM6.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

How many hours of Goliath races do you run to get that kind of XP or is asking anti-consumer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Were they ever talking about bringing Forza 6 over to PC instead of just Apex? Fingers crossed that FH3 does well enough that Forza 7 gets to be Windows 10.

• Locked thread