Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

ilkhan posted:

The 2.7EB is a factory 400HP (in 3.0L trim) motor. The 3.5EB is a factory 650HP (GT) motor. I know the GT has some differences, but its similar enough.

There are 2 generations of the 3.5l. The 2nd generation debuts with the 2017 trucks and the GT, and has port and direct injection. It's not the same engine as the old 3.5l.

Wheeee posted:

I'm just waiting for GM to say gently caress it and throw twin turbos on the small block.

GM already has two (2) turbo 3.6l V6s, a 420 hp and a 464hp with titanium rods. "Not enough varieties of engines" has historically not been a problem at GM. Between the turbo V6, V8 and supercharged V8 I think they've got all possible applications covered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
3.6L is a car engine though. A twin turbo 5.3L or hell even a 4.3L would be comically insane. The 4.3L with any performance orientation with TT's would double its horsepower. 5.3L with basic effort get to 800hp for everyone doing swaps. Getting efficiency would be interesting. If they brought back the short crank 4.8L and put it on a bigger bore 6.2L and twin turbo it you could really have some equally nuts high revving thing.

4.8L crank in a 6.0L is around 332 cubic inches and 7500rpm redline for safety is standard thought.

5.3L with 20 psi 1092hp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so20on3hlJE

Christobevii3 fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 10, 2016

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The supercharged 6.2l is already more than enough power for any possible high power application without the need to rev a pushrod 2v engine that usually tops out at 6000 to 7500. What purpose would that serve?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

It would sound awesome

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Wheeee posted:

It would sound awesome

My old man shifted the cam and headers LS1 in his last Camaro at about 6800. Can confirm it sounded loving awesome.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
You could make the twin scroll turbo not come on until after 4000rpm to goose the epa testing. Also pushes the torque curve up higher in the rpm for safety of not bending rods.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Throatwarbler posted:

There are 2 generations of the 3.5l. The 2nd generation debuts with the 2017 trucks and the GT, and has port and direct injection. It's not the same engine as the old 3.5l.
Oh that I know. The new one looks impressive and is a big part of why I'm waiting for a 2017 while I debate on replacing my Mustang with an F150.

I don't think the new/old 3.5s are that different in size. I was only addressing the weight difference between the 2.7EB and the 3.5EB/3.5EB-II.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Christobevii3 posted:

You could make the twin scroll turbo not come on until after 4000rpm to goose the epa testing. Also pushes the torque curve up higher in the rpm for safety of not bending rods.

driveability is stupid anyway

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

That sounds like a part throttle concern, so it's irrelevant. You should be launching around 4k anyway

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

-Porsche AG engineering department, circa 1974

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Pfft 3200-4000 rpm stall.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Christobevii3 posted:

Pfft 3200-4000 rpm stall.

There's a Z28 on Craigslist right now that isn't even a full bolt on car but it has a 4k stall.

The gently caress.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Video is in spanish, but you'll get the point...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCEthdH7iYw

:alltheeyepopsmilieshere:

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I'm not kidding when I say that everyone in Detroit (hint) says not to buy a Chrysler.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

fknlo posted:

Video is in spanish, but you'll get the point...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCEthdH7iYw

:alltheeyepopsmilieshere:

I don't get it? What's the point?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Throatwarbler posted:

I don't get it? What's the point?

If you want to rip fat stoppies, buy a Jeep Renegade!

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Jeeps can enter motorcycle stunt contests

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The first time I wizzed through the video and only saw the footage of the ones that don't have the problem.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
Ive said it before and ill say it again, the day FCA decides to go all-in on autonomous vehicles is the day i apply to law school so i can get in on some of that sweet lawsuit cash and retire by 50. They certainly make some cool stuff but as a company i have no idea how they remain in business.

also Max Warburton is a personal hero of mine.

http://blogs.wsj.com/corporate-intelligence/2015/04/29/fiat-chrysler-ceo-analyst-spar-over-industry-consolidation-in-earnings-call/

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 12, 2016

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Mariana Horchata posted:

i have no idea how they remain in business.

:eng101: The US and Canadian governments bailed them out.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Also Jeep.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
Definitely Jeep. At least they seem to be aware of that.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

How has no one else brought this issue up? :psyduck:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The new G60 5-series supposedly only comes with the manual on the lovely diesel version. Also looks absolutely enormous.

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/10/12/2017-bmw-5-series-revealed/

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

mobby_6kl posted:

The new G60 5-series supposedly only comes with the manual on the lovely diesel version. Also looks absolutely enormous.

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/10/12/2017-bmw-5-series-revealed/

I'm amazed it hasn't completely bloated to 7-Series proportions.

Then again, the 7-Series is pretty big, too.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
This should surprise absolutely no one but as it turns out very small capacity turbos aren't all they're cracked up to be: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-autoshow-paris-engines-exclusive-idUSKBN12E11K

Leaving emissions aside in my own experience the little TSI Golfs and turbo Cruze and similar can't get even close to their test economy figures in real world usage, whereas my larger Mazda with a larger n/a engine is pretty much spot on.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
The 7 series is 207 inches long.

The new BMW G30 5 series is 194 inches long (1 inch longer than previous F10) and around 150 lbs lighter. No manual transmissions, but non-run flat tires and a spare are an option at least! lol If they can tighten the steering feel back up near pre-electric levels that will help a lot as well. It looks like they added the extra length to the now more sloping nose.

540 turbo 6 is 355 hp and 0-60 in 4.7.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=934934

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Oct 15, 2016

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

dissss posted:

This should surprise absolutely no one but as it turns out very small capacity turbos aren't all they're cracked up to be: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-autoshow-paris-engines-exclusive-idUSKBN12E11K

Leaving emissions aside in my own experience the little TSI Golfs and turbo Cruze and similar can't get even close to their test economy figures in real world usage, whereas my larger Mazda with a larger n/a engine is pretty much spot on.

Well, nothing left to do but jack the boost way up and boil the tires on those failed econoboxes. They need to live their best lives.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

dissss posted:

It's been known forever, but now that it's known the tests can be changed and hopefully manufacturers will go back to putting real engines in things.

I can't imagine Honda is happy about this coming up right after they finally bit the bullet on small turbos, but Toyota, Mazda, and GM must be laughing.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Wheeee posted:

It's been known forever, but now that it's known the tests can be changed and hopefully manufacturers will go back to putting real engines in things.

I can't imagine Honda is happy about this coming up right after they finally bit the bullet on small turbos, but Toyota, Mazda, and GM must be laughing.

OTOH, my Fiat Spider has a 1.4L turbo and is rated at 36 highway, 25 city - and that's almost exactly what it gets.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Deteriorata posted:

OTOH, my Fiat Spider has a 1.4L turbo and is rated at 36 highway, 25 city - and that's almost exactly what it gets.

Yeah but it's a worse handling uglier Miata soooooo

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Deteriorata posted:

I'd bet an MX-5 would do slightly better given the same usage despite its worse official figures.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Did you guys know they made a BMW X4? I must have seen it a lot, but always thought it was an X6 until I saw the badge today.
http://www.bmwblog.com/2015/03/05/bmw-x4-vs-bmw-x6-whats-the-right-choice-for-you/
It's been around since 2014?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
"What's the right choice"? X6 if you're an rear end in a top hat, X4 if you're a poor rear end in a top hat?

dissss posted:

Goooood, V8s for everyone!

dissss posted:

I'd bet an MX-5 would do slightly better given the same usage despite its worse official figures.

That's the word on the street, at least, but it's hard to find any reliable confirmation.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

dissss posted:

They have different transmissions, the MX5 is almost certainly geared more aggresively, and the whole Skyactive thing is a package of both engine and transmission, both auto and manual. Mazda wasn't going to sell that to FIAT so the FIAT still uses the NC's transmission which is presumably less efficient.

Wheeee posted:

Toyota and Mazda are fine but GM is all in on small engines, all their cars like the Malibu and Cruze have like 1.5l turbos as the top engine now. It never made any sense to me anyway because all the Ford and GM turbo engines never actually got any better fuel economy than Toyota or Mazda NA engines even on the EPA test.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

dissss posted:

To achieve that mileage, Mazda had to detune their engine to produce less horsepower and substantially less torque than a 40% smaller engine.

I'll admit the Fiat engine is kind of a dog less than about 2500 RPM, but once the boost comes on it kicks all kinds of rear end.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Deteriorata posted:

To achieve that mileage, Mazda had to detune their engine to produce less horsepower and substantially less torque than a 40% smaller engine.

I'll admit the Fiat engine is kind of a dog less than about 2500 RPM, but once the boost comes on it kicks all kinds of rear end.

The Miata is also cheaper, weighs less, handles better, and despite being down on power is quicker in every way.

I mean it's a neat car, but I just don't see the point of it.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

iwentdoodie posted:

The Miata is also cheaper, weighs less, handles better, and despite being down on power is quicker in every way.

They're priced almost the same. The Fiat does weigh a bit more.

The Fiat generally handles better due to less body roll. The Fiat was actually quicker around a course where they swapped tires with a Miata to make everything equal.

The Miata feels quicker because the back end breaks loose easier and it requires more input from the driver constantly.

The Fiat has a better suspension and a better engine. It's more comfortable, quieter, and refined. It's the better car in my completely unbiased and objective opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wFuuAfYdnw

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 15, 2016

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

iwentdoodie posted:

Pretty much every review out there about the Fiata and especially the Abarth model have begrudgingly said its as good or better when it comes to handling despite the extra weight. Also that its engine is much more enjoyable for day to day driving if not when being wrung out on a track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

kill me now posted:

Pretty much every review out there about the Fiata and especially the Abarth model have begrudgingly said its as good or better when it comes to handling despite the extra weight. Also that its engine is much more enjoyable for day to day driving if not when being wrung out on a track.

It is surprising how different the cars are despite coming off the same assembly line and sharing most of the same parts. They will have rather different appeals and neither is clearly "better" than the other by any objective criteria. They're just alternate takes on the concept. The Fiat connected with me in a way the Mazda never did.