Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015
Anyone else have 37.5 hour weeks? Works out to about 120 hours less work than someone working 40 a week over the course of a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

PBS posted:

Anyone else have 37.5 hour weeks? Works out to about 120 hours less work than someone working 40 a week over the course of a year.

When I worked local government I had "35hour" weeks. Hour unpaid lunch. Salary was based on 35 hour work week and we had to be there the full 8 hours for coverage with lunch being "when it's slow" telling someone you need lunch was frowned upon. Not taking a lunch got you a written warning, and taking it at 4PM to go home early was seen as leaving early and a written warning. But taking it at 3:45 and coming back for 15 minutes was okay. I get that I need to take a lunch and I want to, but they had 4 people covering 2 dozen physical sites with over 1,000 users and basically no automation with a management perceptive of automation takes jobs away. Soul crushing quarterly go to every computer and update loving java because pdqdeploy or a gpo would mean I wouldn't have a job!

My coworkers put in 60-80 hours a week a bunch and gave me poo poo even though once one was caught and given a written warning for working unapproved overtime. I once got a warning for trying to call at 4:50 to ask about working overtime because a core switch died and needed to be replaced and it took 2 hours I tried calling my boss's cell every 20 minutes and left a few messages. The official policy was if its critical and she was unreachable it's a judgement call. You drat well know that was a non winning hand other than work it and shut up.

I hate politics.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
They hired another SVP so we (engineering staff) got kicked out of the fun war room and now have to exist in cubicles :( on the plus side I will be able to hear customers on the phone when my coworker is super loudly talking into his own call. I think he's hard of hearing so him yelling is a correction to that

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

PBS posted:

Standard over here in the UK.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

pixaal posted:

When I worked local government I had "35hour" weeks. Hour unpaid lunch. Salary was based on 35 hour work week and we had to be there the full 8 hours for coverage with lunch being "when it's slow" telling someone you need lunch was frowned upon. Not taking a lunch got you a written warning, and taking it at 4PM to go home early was seen as leaving early and a written warning. But taking it at 3:45 and coming back for 15 minutes was okay. I get that I need to take a lunch and I want to, but they had 4 people covering 2 dozen physical sites with over 1,000 users and basically no automation with a management perceptive of automation takes jobs away. Soul crushing quarterly go to every computer and update loving java because pdqdeploy or a gpo would mean I wouldn't have a job!

My coworkers put in 60-80 hours a week a bunch and gave me poo poo even though once one was caught and given a written warning for working unapproved overtime. I once got a warning for trying to call at 4:50 to ask about working overtime because a core switch died and needed to be replaced and it took 2 hours I tried calling my boss's cell every 20 minutes and left a few messages. The official policy was if its critical and she was unreachable it's a judgement call. You drat well know that was a non winning hand other than work it and shut up.

I hate politics.

Was this a school district? Because outside of the "35 hour week" it sounds lot like the BS that went on when I worked at a K-12 a long time ago.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

An interview came in. Security architect reporting directly to the CISO of a multi-national, publicly traded financial firm with over $700bn in assets. Most of the stuff I get from recruiters sucks, but this one seemed interesting and challenging (also it was an internal HR person who contacted me, which was nice for a change).

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Arsten posted:

I meant more towards flosofl's actions. Surely the rage can't build up inside forever and we'll all hear about the Mirriam-Webster corporation catching fire on the evening news. :v:

I may or may not have a room plastered with maps and candid pictures of dictionary editors with screeds titled "IRREGARDLESS OF YOUR REASONS THE ASK MUST BE ANSWERED" and "THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE CRIES OUT IN PAIN" scrawled on the walls.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
dumb question: is it possible to use a 2008r2 KMS to provide activation for 2016 server? I spent more time than I should have trying to figure this out today.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

flosofl posted:

I may or may not have a room plastered with maps and candid pictures of dictionary editors with screeds titled "IRREGARDLESS OF YOUR REASONS THE ASK MUST BE ANSWERED" and "THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE CRIES OUT IN PAIN" scrawled on the walls.

I whole-heartedly endorse this plan. Make sure you scrawl your notes in blood (it doesn't have to be your blood) so that you can get off as crazy when the courts find you. :v:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Arsten posted:

Was this a school district? Because outside of the "35 hour week" it sounds lot like the BS that went on when I worked at a K-12 a long time ago.

City and school single department. So police, fire, teachers, city hall, all of it.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

SEKCobra posted:

How would punishing the employee prevent poo poo companies from making employees eat fines if they spill the beans?!?!

Austria: 25 days, unlimited sick days, bank holiday, several special occasions like taking care of sick kids/parents, moving, marriage....

I mean I think my point was that it would be nice if this were a more ideal world where the progress in labor rights that went on at a huge cost in blood throughout the 1800s and early 1900s had been continued instead of starting to be destroyed in the 1970s until it's reached the point where there are so many lovely companies that will blatantly commit violations of even the laws that are on the books and where our society is still so work-oriented as opposed to the Europeans' idea of work to live instead of live to work.

Also I meant the employee should be punished for coming in of their own volition when sick, but that if the company at all tried to force them to do so then the company should be fined even more harshly. So, yeah, a utopia that won't ever exist in America.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Also I meant the employee should be punished for coming in of their own volition when sick, but that if the company at all tried to force them to do so then the company should be fined even more harshly. So, yeah, a utopia that won't ever exist in America.

But no company forces an employee to come in when sick, they just punish you indirectly for not coming in.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

SEKCobra posted:

But no company forces an employee to come in when sick, they just punish you indirectly for not coming in.
Looking forward to this well thought out semantic discussion on the difference between force and coercion

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Vulture Culture posted:

Looking forward to this well thought out semantic discussion on the difference between force and coercion

Well there isn't much difference, but it would be retarded to give fines to employees when they can easily be coerced into going in "of their own volition".

orange sky
May 7, 2007

My company just got bought by a Fortune Global 500 group. We'll see how it goes.

E: No redundant positions though, so I'm definitely not getting fired or anything.

orange sky fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 15, 2016

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
They're cutting dead weight at work. Finally. After YEARS of these people coasting, being lazy, and generally contributing nothing to countless projects.

I'm never happy to see someone lose their job, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't glad to see the incompetence go.

They're getting good severance anyway.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
In my new position I get 5 hours of PTO every payday, with 2 paydays per month, so 120 hours per year, or 3 weeks. They roll over to a max of 120 hours, plus I get all the Federal holidays off. It's also written into our contract that if the base is closed or the county declares a weather emergency and travel onto the base is not possible we still get paid and don't have to use PTO. I'm hoping for a loving brutal winter this year. Last couple years I was on a base-essential personnel list, and was required to report to work no matter what. When I finally got out of that designation it turns out that the getting paid even if the base is closed provision was not in the contract. Got hosed over on that. Had to use 40 hours of PTO that winter, which caused my plans for a 2-week vacation in the summer to crash and burn. Taught me to never go below 40 hours of saved PTO, and to never take more than a week of vacation.

But when I cashed out the 56 hours of PTO when I left at the beginning of August it was a pretty sweet payday.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

orange sky posted:

My company just got bought by a Fortune Global 500 group. We'll see how it goes.

E: No redundant positions though, so I'm definitely not getting fired or anything.

Been there done that twice now. You'll be fine.

In my experience people either get with the new program, or get cranky and stuck in their ways wishing things didn't change, and those people eventually get a different job (one way or another).

It's actually been great for my career. Technically I've had the same job (with promotions of course) for the last 10 years, but through acquisitions I've gotten to work for larger companies and had my skills, job title, and responsibility grow over time. Go in prove your worth and opportunities arise. I went from local site support for a few hundred users, to Sr. System Admin supporting global infrastructure for a 2.5 Billion in revenue dollar company across 20 sites, and now I'm one of a few people on our Enterprise Windows team supporting a 8+ Billion in revenue company with 60+ sites across the world.

There are pros and cons to working for a larger org, but just go in open minded, open to change, and be part of Team <newcompany> and you'll survive and probably flourish.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

They're cutting dead weight at work. Finally. After YEARS of these people coasting, being lazy, and generally contributing nothing to countless projects.

I'm never happy to see someone lose their job, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't glad to see the incompetence go.

They're getting good severance anyway.
This reminds me - last Friday we fired the guy I've been begging to fire for 18 months. Corporate discipline is slooooow. So nice to have that problem out of my life, though.

There were two people at my job that caused me headaches. Fired that guy, and haven't had to speak to the other in months as his role has shifted. No wonder I've been in such a great mood lately.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 15, 2016

demonicon
Mar 29, 2011
Germany: 30 days vacation, unlimited sick time, 12 bank holidays. I also do 1-2 days of homeoffice per week.

demonicon
Mar 29, 2011

Super Soaker Party! posted:

In Europe, or at least in Germany you aren't allowed to come to work when you are sick for insurance reasons. You would have to go to a doctor and have him certify that you are good to work again ahead of time if you really wanted to go back to work so much.

Of course people still show up to work while visibly sick and infect everyone else in there office/public transport :doh:

demonicon fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 15, 2016

demonicon
Mar 29, 2011
If anyone is interested in European employment laws vs US this is a good post although it is specifically about Germany: https://www.wilmerhale.com/pages/publicationsandNewsDetail.aspx?NewsPubId=90463

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

demonicon posted:

If anyone is interested in European employment laws vs US this is a good post although it is specifically about Germany: https://www.wilmerhale.com/pages/publicationsandNewsDetail.aspx?NewsPubId=90463

Along those lines, I'm fully aware how smug I am in this thread about labour laws, but this is some info about Canada's/BC's for you yankee doodle boys

http://www.cwilson.com/resource/newsletters/article/416-border-crossing-differences-between-canadian-and-us-employment-law.html
http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/employment-business/employment-standards-advice/employment-standards/guide-to-the-employment-standards-act

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

TBH if I were to move anywhere outside the US permanently it would probably be Australia or New Zealand, since immigrating to those two places as a US citizen with job skills is about as easy as getting a tourist visa.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Do New Zealand. There's a goon in TFR who does some sort of work that keeps him out in the New Zealand mountains for months at a time, whenever he comes back he posts loving gorgeous pictures of the mountains. And the pies he makes out of the invasive tahr that he shoots.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
Chiming in because :smug:

20 days paid vacation, 13 paid holidays, 5 personal days, 1 sick day a month up to 180 sick days total. The vacation and personal days also roll over up to something silly like 180 days. You can sell back vacation time. Free healthcare. Pension. Take that, Denmark.

Aunt Beth fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Sep 5, 2020

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

NZ is amazing, if you can't move there I can't recommend it more for a vacation.

demonicon
Mar 29, 2011
NZ is really awesome, went their for vacation once. Would even consider moving there if I didn't have family. The biggest drawback of germany after all is that you would have to deal with all of us annoying Germans.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Immigrating into the EU from a non-Schengen country is nearly impossible unless you have some sort of sponsorship or a massive amount of wealth.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
My wife is a German citizen and speaks the language. We've talked about trying to immigrate to Koln - such a loving awesome city. Doubt a non German speaking IT guy would be in high demand though lol

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
So the budget review is in.

We're increasing headcount a massive amount. 50 new hires are budgeted for.

How many people are we getting in IT I ask? 1.

Yep. 1.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

DigitalMocking posted:

Yep. 1.

That's not so bad. Doing some work for a company with 4 IT personnel for 1200 employees lol

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

DigitalMocking posted:

Yep. 1.

That seems about right. We are around 1 IT per 100 employees, roughly.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

50 new hires doesn't seem like a lot.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

milk milk lemonade posted:

My wife is a German citizen and speaks the language. We've talked about trying to immigrate to Koln - such a loving awesome city. Doubt a non German speaking IT guy would be in high demand though lol

Well if you are going to move there I assume you would learn the language.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Well if you are going to move there I assume you would learn the language.

Yah at some point. I'm practicing now for fun, but I think it would be a struggle if I had to get serious about it. I'm very bad with foreign languages, and you can get around most of Germany with a little German and a lot of English.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

big money big clit posted:

50 new hires doesn't seem like a lot.
I'm sure it's all relative. If his business is only 200 employees now, 50 is a big expansion.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

adorai posted:

I'm sure it's all relative. If his business is only 200 employees now, 50 is a big expansion.

From an IT perspective though a single additional employee should be more than enough to handle the marginal work increase from fifty new hires. The infrastructure required to support 200 or 250 employees is pretty much identical.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Oh god how much could I get done if I just had one more junior guy to take 40 hours worth of bullshit off me and my guy's plate every week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Started my government job and holy poo poo am I going to be busy. There are three major projects that will be handed over to me, two that I need to start within the next month, 2 ongoing yearly refresh projects within the IT arena alone. I've been meeting with department supervisors to get a handle on what they have coming up and so far I've got about 7-10 projects on the radar for the next calendar year and I've only gone through half of my meetings. This poo poo is nuts, but so loving refreshing compared to sitting at a desk, staring at a screen, trying to come up with something to fill the 8 hour daily drudge.

Also I'm reading this thread on my new surface book that my predecessor bought for me and goddamn does it make me happy compared to the recycled franken-laptop I threw together at my first job and my desktop-only 4:3 screens at my second job. He even sprung for the NVidia graphics in the keyboard :3: