Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

sigh

bombed the living gently caress out of my heat transfer exam yesteday, along with seemingly everyone else in the class (at least 50 people have posted in the fb group that they couldnt have gotten above a 25% on it)

havent tried liquor in a while, that still an accepted method of ignoring your life problems?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Enourmo posted:

sigh

bombed the living gently caress out of my heat transfer exam yesteday, along with seemingly everyone else in the class (at least 50 people have posted in the fb group that they couldnt have gotten above a 25% on it)

havent tried liquor in a while, that still an accepted method of ignoring your life problems?

I'm enjoying a fine scotch to drown the demons tonight, so yes?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Adiabatic posted:

I dunno, I feel for the two women. Garages can be noisy and he probably has a lot of guests over to help him. That can get raucous quickly.

His property is also zoned agricultural and in the middle of nowhere, correct?

Devyl posted:

Watched a guy run by me at work last night around midnight; hand clutched against his head while his blood ran down his arm. He left a crimson trail from the line all the way to the emergency medical room. Turns out he was in LOTO (lock-out tag-out) while working on a FANUC robot that was malfunctioning. As he was leaving, another maintenance tech that was on a catwalk above him accidentally dropped a hammer. If he would've been wearing a hardhat like he was supposed to, he wouldn't have had anything worse than a small headache. Now he's probably going to lose his job and have a hefty medical bill for the ambulance ride and his hospital visit.

Worst that happened to me in an industrial setting was someone turning on a motherfucking conveyor that I had LOTO'd.

Why? They "didn't see me, and figured I forgot about the LOTO". I wound up falling on my rear end from the conveyor starting unexpectedly, then saying "gently caress it" and rode the conveyor all the way to her station so I could scream at her personally. She's drat lucky I was in a good mood that day and that I was only cleaning the belts, though she was also union, so she was pretty well protected anyway. Also, I would have failed the mandatory drug test if I claimed injuries anyway (and there was a very strong "don't report injuries, otherwise we lose our quarterly steak dinner" vibe there), so my only real option was to bitch her out for a few minutes. No PPE required for cleaning conveyors there, and cleaning them was required at the beginning of every shift anyway. (UPS hub, was loading 18 wheelers) Also their "LOTO" was flipping a lever over the start button. No real tag for cleaning tasks, but they called it LOTO.

(also... yeah, sucks that the guy got hit by a hammer, but isn't that very much a workman's comp claim? even though his hard hat fell off when he bent over to tie his shoes?)

Devyl posted:

He'll probably lose it because of a failed drug test. The guy is an occasional cannabis user so if his test comes back positive, his job is gone. Our company has a mandatory drug test policy for anyone involved in a work-place accident.

That's pretty much every company in the US these days. The only one I've ever worked for that was the exception was Whole Foods, where my trainer told me "yeah, someone drove a forklift off the dock, broke several bones, and didn't get hit with a drug test... so smoke all you want".

A couple of years ago I got hurt at Pizza Hut - there was a (very large) crack in the sidewalk in front of the store. I tripped and did a faceplant in the parking lot, and hosed up my knee pretty good. My boss literally shouted at me about how hosed I was going to be when I failed the drug test and how he'd be laughing about it when he got to fire me.

I passed the test fine, despite occasional cannabis use - very occasional use doesn't show up reliably. I was a once a week smoker at the time though.

funny Star Wars parody posted:

me and my dog just took turns puking so that was fun cleaning up

What are you talking about? Dogs always clean up puke.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

So I just sat through the entire new Ghostbusters movie

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

slidebite posted:

I'll load the gun for you.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

slidebite posted:

How was it, honestly? Or is it one of those "watch it and make your own judgment" kind of movies?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
I dunno, I really enjoyed the new ghostbusters movie. It was good to have equal representation of gender to let both sides tell their respective stories.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Adiabatic posted:

I dunno, I really enjoyed the new ghostbusters movie. It was good to have equal representation of gender to let both sides tell their respective stories.

On the other hand, Melissa McCarthy.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Honestly? I was expecting it to be quite bad and I wasn't disappointed. It was worse than I expected it to be.

To be fair I watched the extended Blu-ray version so maybe that strung it out longer than need be, but it really was pretty bad.

There were a couple glimmers of comedy, but they were very few and far between. The quirkiness of the Kate McKinnon character was probably the only pleasant surprise for me in the show.

I blame the writing more than the cast though.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Oct 15, 2016

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I thought the new ghostbusters film was pretty good.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I found it difficult to watch. Like all four were different versions of Michael from The Office in different stereotypes.

I can't really watch the office, either. It's clearly a great show, and I can see the quality of the jokes, but it's literally too awkward for me because of Michael.

The new Ghostbusters is all of that terrible, awkward, lazy, poor comedy Michael does in-character, but x4.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
It was aggressively mediocre. Melissa McCarthy was (and is, just in general) terrible, the ghosts looked like they borrowed them from Disney's Haunted Mansion, 80% of the jokes fell flat, the plot's just asinine and way to crowded...

On the other hand, Kate McKinnon's in it and is just ludicrously hot. So... two thumbs up!

Seriously, though, I really wanted it to be good just because of all the gamergate neckbeards griping about girl ghostbusters before it came out. I wanted more of the deadpan humor and legitimately cool moments that happen in the original. I know I wasn't going to get Dan Aykroyd and Ernie Hudson talking about the Book of Revelation because the dead are literally walking the earth, but what I got instead was a bad stereotype of Loud Black Woman shouts "AW HELL NAW" while slapping a possessed dude. It was a flop because it just wasn't good and that sucks because it means I won't get another new Ghostbusters (reboot or otherwise) for decades, if ever.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Good to hear that the quality of Japanese mental health medicine is about where I left it. She must have a loving incredible opinion on Duterte and the whole SCS debacle.

Well I tried asking her opinion but she didn't reply. :v:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Magnus Praeda posted:

Seriously, though, I really wanted it to be good just because of all the gamergate neckbeards griping about girl ghostbusters before it came out.

What happened in reality is that the majority who saw the initial trailer legimatly thought "Holy gently caress this looks awful!" and a small bunch of retards had an Internet Slapfight that meant nothing to anyone with a slight hint of a real life.

fridge corn posted:

I thought the new ghostbusters film was pretty good.

What part? The bad CG, the terrible writing, the godawful directing and a bunch of actors apart from Wiig, Jones and Hemsworth who stank the joint up? The best that can be said about GB2016 is that it was aggresively medicore..... and frankly that is generous to say the least. Now we're clearing the fart stink of the Internet Slapfight, it's just bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUEKreyTkvA

As usual RLM knocks it out of the park

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

What part? The bad CG, the terrible writing, the godawful directing and a bunch of actors apart from Wiig, Jones and Hemsworth who stank the joint up? The best that can be said about GB2016 is that it was aggresively medicore..... and frankly that is generous to say the least. Now we're clearing the fart stink of the Internet Slapfight, it's just bad.

Are you talking about the new ghostbusters film or Deadpool? 😂😂😂😂

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

What happened in reality is that the majority who saw the initial trailer legimatly thought "Holy gently caress this looks awful!
I thought it looked like utter poo poo, nowhere near good enough to have the Ghostbusters nameplate... and then the whole horseshit surrounding it hoved into view, and I decided that there was no way in hell they were getting any money from me or having me count as a person going to see it.

I might watch it if it turns up on Netflix at some point.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

fridge corn posted:

Are you talking about the new ghostbusters film or Deadpool? 😂😂😂😂

Your posting

:D

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
I just saw The Accountant last night and enjoyed it. Full disclosure, it's the first time me and the old lady have been out to see a movie in 4 years that wasn't a kids movie so I would have enjoyed anything. The movie had some entertaining gun play and hand to hand combat but some scenes of the movie seemed like a drawn out Ford F-150 commercial. Ben Affleck was completely emotionless through the whole film and it's awkward but that is on purpose. Overall it's a good action flick, not great.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

After months of stress, my dog is on the mend! First she started getting nail bed infections, which we learned was from symmetrical lupoid onychodystrophy, which is some bullshit. We put her on four or five different meds for that including a steroid. Her nails stopped becoming infected and mostly stopped falling out ,then she started having liver problems and stopped eating for a few days. We changed her meds and her appetite came back, then she started having green liquid shits which can be indicative of further liver problems. We changed her diet and worried for a couple days until the vet could see her, then we got her blood checked and her liver is back to normal, and her poop is healthy looking again, and she gets excited for food and eats normally again! Hooray!

Here's me and her. Her name is Mellow but we call her Marshmellow because she is all cuddly and gentle. :3:

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I don't know what humans did to deserve the goodness of dogs, but I'm glad we did it, and I'm glad your pooch is on the upswing

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Dogs rule cats drool

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Dogs rule cats drool

Humans drool too, just sayin

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Dogs > cattes
We like dogs a lot. Not enough to get one though. We researched it a lot and decided at this point of life we couldn't give a dog the quality of life it deserved so it's something we'll need to consider later on. We have friends and neighbors with dogs so they get a lot of loves and pats from us.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Saw the new Ghostbusters film for the second time tonite and it's no worse than other Paul Feig movie. I laughed at a buncha lines but you have to try to divorce this movie from the originals. It's nearly impossible but once you're able to do that, the movie is fine.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Back the gently caress off the cattes, haters

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

scuz posted:

Saw the new Ghostbusters film for the second time tonite and it's no worse than other Paul Feig movie. I laughed at a buncha lines but you have to try to divorce this movie from the originals. It's nearly impossible but once you're able to do that, the movie is fine.

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved the new Ghostbusters.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Well, the Land Rover decided that no, it doesn't want new front brake cylinders, and decided to protest by having the pipe seize to the nuts, so they twisted and sheared. Only irritating because I don't have any brake pipe to hand, and will need to get some in order to finish the job. Ah well.

I need to decide I want to re-plumb it to put the bleed nipple on the upper, rather than lower, cylinder. Opinion seems to be split on whether it's any great advantage.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Wow that was rather rude.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Dogs rule cats drool

Wot mate

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

In the thumbnail the aqua pillow makes it look like he's wearing a hat.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

lol I noticed that too

It looks like a little Party hat

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Went go karting, they stuck us with a group of people that were the slowest mother fuckers I have ever seen.

Friend and I both got black flagged, cause there was zero way to pass without shoving them out of the way.

Guy who black flagged us caught us in the parking lot, apologized and gave us free credits for next week :v:

Now to go watch some 410s tonight.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

iwentdoodie posted:

Went go karting, they stuck us with a group of people that were the slowest mother fuckers I have ever seen.

Friend and I both got black flagged, cause there was zero way to pass without shoving them out of the way.

Guy who black flagged us caught us in the parking lot, apologized and gave us free credits for next week :v:

Now to go watch some 410s tonight.

Went karting with a bunch of interns a few years back, the first few laps were fine but then everyone else got around behind the slowest guy in the group... who then completely failed to let anyone past for the remaining 10 laps, despite him getting the "let people pass you gently caress" flag every single lap. The plot of racer positions at the end of the race was laughable, because at a certain point it locked into the exact same positions for the remainder of the race thanks to this rear end.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Getting in on dog chat:

Took one of my dogs on a nice fall (although 80% of the foliage is still green :argh:) hike with my wife today.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Otis is a big fan of kitties but we've been without a friend for a while. :(
http://i.imgur.com/C50oe7f.mp4
Here he is protesting by shredding an old Motor Trend.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Touchscreen DVR transport controls are pretty damned nice. Just set up a Harmony Ultimate One remote and I may have to get another for the bedroom. Super intuitive and easy without having to worry about learning button placement or anything.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Seminal Flu posted:

Touchscreen DVR transport controls are pretty damned nice. Just set up a Harmony Ultimate One remote and I may have to get another for the bedroom. Super intuitive and easy without having to worry about learning button placement or anything.

Yeah, completely intuitive and easy, until you hand the remote to my fiancee and she suddenly can't comprehend how a touchscreen works despite spending hours a day on her phone.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Tried to overclock my desktop just to see what difference it made. It has a decent sized heat sink on it, but protip for any other would-be tuners: verify that the loving heat sink fan actually works before turning up the mega-hurts. Overheated by the time I was logged in and went into a boot loop that wouldn't let me into the BIOS.

I hit the button to reset the mobo to factory, but that made my computer throw a boot code error. I was making GBS threads myself for a few minutes until I realized that the reset also reset the boot load order, and it was trying to load Win10 from my HDD instead of the SSD. Problem solved, but I guess I oughtta get a new fan for the heat sink. Never had issues before so I guess the passive cooling is enough for stock speeds, but yikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Overclocking is basically useless with modern CPUs and I wouldn't bother with it

• Locked thread