Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

Terrible Robot posted:

Ansen Sprints are the best old-school wheels, ya done good. Love the Maverick too, especially that color.

Thanks! I definitely agree, this style is right up there with the ever present Cragars in my opinion. These were actually a legit set of stock wheels from a '73 so it's even still period correct. The only thing I want to do besides general body touch-up stuff is swap the giant bumpers to a set of the skinny ones. I've got everything I need except the rear bumper, so hopefully I get that done sooner rather than later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrantC
Nov 1, 2011

Read the friggin rulebook before you build your "racecar", stupid ricer.
"Today" as in last weekend I yanked the engine to do a clutch, oil pickup, and other mods that have been sitting in my garage waiting for an excuse since 2013:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gB6OhmJlMdI

"Today" as in yesterday, put the winters back on!

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

niiice what kind of screws did you use for those studs

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

This was 2.5 weeks ago, but i've only just managed to get the photos of my phone.

Replaced the broken leaky 1980's sunroof on my landy with one from a landrover discovery. It cost me £20 which I felt was a bargain.

Old roof one out, new one at the ready:

Had to enlarge the hole:

Luxury sunroof. hopefully this will leak less than the old one and it is a lot nicer since it slides back rather than just tilting up.

I'm very tempted to do the same to my car, but I'd need to also buy the interior trim clip to hold the headlining up which apparently breaks on every discovery and costs around £40 to buy!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Tomarse posted:

This was 2.5 weeks ago, but i've only just managed to get the photos of my phone.

Replaced the broken leaky 1980's sunroof on my landy with one from a landrover discovery. It cost me £20 which I felt was a bargain.

Had to enlarge the hole:

Luxury sunroof. hopefully this will leak less than the old one and it is a lot nicer since it slides back rather than just tilting up.

I'm very tempted to do the same to my car, but I'd need to also buy the interior trim clip to hold the headlining up which apparently breaks on every discovery and costs around £40 to buy!

That's a damned bold job to attempt... with a jigsaw, no less! Nicely done!

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Tomarse posted:

Had to enlarge the hole:

Haha this is awesome, I might replace the lovely old Ziebart sunroof on my Celica with a Disco unit...

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
we did that a few years ago on a friend's 91 toyota pickup (had a dealer installed sunroof that shattered suddenly one day) using a dealer installed one off a jetta that was being parted out by another friend. it went in perfectly, just had to trim the corner radii slightly. learned that day to always buy a replacement sunroof that is larger and/or has smaller (not larger, a little counterintuitive) corner radii when replacing one.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Seminal Flu posted:

That's a damned bold job to attempt... with a jigsaw, no less! Nicely done!

A replacement SWB roof panel only costs £25 on ebay here which makes cutting one up a less daunting task! I ended up cutting the sides of the hole blind from the inside due to the metal ribs getting in the way of my jigsaw. The line i cut to was drawn freehand too ;) (I drew round the surround and then freehanded a line at approx 15mm inside it).
I did use a proper metal cutting blade in the jigsaw.

Terrible Robot posted:

Haha this is awesome, I might replace the lovely old Ziebart sunroof on my Celica with a Disco unit...

Unfortunately the interior section of the disco sunroof is not very pretty and I think is hidden by a shaped headlining on the disco itself. Fitting one onto anything else that you care about will take some fettling and some custom work shaping the old headliner backing to hide it. There is also a metal lip designed to stretch the lining material to and over - but the trim clip that holds it on the disco is really expensive to buy (I think it breaks the minute you touch it to remove it), and I haven't found a generic alternative yet.

On a series landy it doesn't matter as I don't have a headlining anyway. I'll take an interior shot if you are tempted. The sunroof itself is just 2 sections that bolt together easily and the size of the seal means that the hole doesn't need to be that exact. The sunroof is not quite flat but has a slight curve - but this pulled down to flat OK on my series roof.

There are some drain lines to fit too.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

And welded some tow rings to the front of the frame, and primed a section of the frame, and some other fiddly things to get the truck running again.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Took me 4 hours to stitch on a steering wheel cover and thoroughly perforate my fingers.

Amazing what it does for the tactile feel of just using the truck, pretty good $25 spent.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

clutchpuck posted:

Took me 4 hours to stitch on a steering wheel cover and thoroughly perforate my fingers.

Amazing what it does for the tactile feel of just using the truck, pretty good $25 spent.
That looks really good. I spent $225 to get a pre-wrapped wheel online and it doesn't really look $200 better then yours. Still happy with it though, like you said it really improves the driving experience.

Old one for reference: http://i.imgur.com/G4NjptV.jpg

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
My stang had a pre-wrapped wheel when I got it. I liked it, but I wasn't about to shell out that kind of money for the truck's.

The 150's wide wheel spokes were kind of a bear to stitch around and find the right hole on the other side to rejoin, on both I had to back up like 5 stitches when I realized I was off by one on the holes. It's not perfect, I can feel some inconsistency in my stitching on the inside of the wheel, but like my wife said I'm probably the only one who will ever notice that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

clutchpuck posted:

Where did you get it from? I'm sorely tempted to do something like this since the leather on my WJ's wheel is kinda gnarly, and the CR-V doesn't even have leather.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Amazon. Got the Superskin kit and some extra needles. https://www.amazon.com/Superior-58-...ing+wheel+cover

Saw them at O'Reiley's too.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
i booked another tow truck for my mr2 after driving it from the mechanics to home

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Where did you get it from? I'm sorely tempted to do something like this since the leather on my WJ's wheel is kinda gnarly, and the CR-V doesn't even have leather.

drat good chance you can get a better condition OEM one at the junkyard for like 25 bucks. That's what I've always done when the OEM leather was trashed on a wheel, but I was fine with how a nice one at the yard felt.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Late since it was yesterday but spent three hours trying to solve ignition issues on my Scirocco only to find that the entire ignition and part of the fuel system is grounded through a single wire to the cylinder head which had broke. :downs:

At least I finally got around to fixing the wiring for the idle air valve.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Nice. In June I spent 2000 miles going crazy trying to solve a speedometer issue on my motorcycle and it ended up being that the sensor grounds through the ignition coil, which had decided to free itself from its bracket and break the circuit.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Started mid morning hunting for where the water was getting into the cabin on the old Red Hilux. Pulled the now quite mouldy carpets out, and all the seats and sat inside while the better half hosed down the windscreen and it was running down both the A pillars from the plenum chamber level.

Pulled the wheel arch to see what was up and poo poo went sideways in a hurry.

Oh

God drat it

Its a 1992 hilux, that will do... Oh for fucks sake the OTHER rust spots leaking too

gently caress it. Good enough.

Sikaflex fixes everything

Its internal. Noone can see it. Wonder what the other sides like.

gently caress THIS poo poo I DONT LIVE IN THE GOD drat RUST BELT!

Turns out parking under a tree for 5 years causes massive rust problems in your plenum chamber... Took about 8hrs to patch both sides and a full tube of sikaflex to re-seam seal the whole mess inside and out, followed by hosing it off, working out where its getting in THIS time, cleaning it out again, drying it, more shmoo, try the hose again but now it DOESNT loving LEAK!

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Replaced some bushings and stuff.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
More like "what did some other piece of poo poo in an assumedly stolen car do to your ride today?"

This happened on Sunday and they haven't even assigned an investigator to the hit and run yet, despite there being video evidence of the car including make model and clear as hell shot of the license plate. rear end in a top hat threw it into reverse and tried to ram me out of the way because they were fleeing from a scene where two other cars were hit, two were broken into and one was stolen. Now I'm waiting for the adjuster's report of the damage, then to find someone parting out a car that I can pick parts off of. I have baller insurance with $0 deductible because of exactly this scenario, but it pisses me off that I know whoever did it is probably going to get away with it. So help me god if they actually find the people responsible I'm going to legally eviscerate them.

H2SO4 fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Oct 17, 2016

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
That's too bad; that fender is pretty done. You going to take the opportunity to make other modifications, since you don't have to worry about it being "all original" anymore, or put it back the way it was? Also, did it tweak your wheel/suspension at all, or is it entirely cosmetic?

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

Raluek posted:

That's too bad; that fender is pretty done. You going to take the opportunity to make other modifications, since you don't have to worry about it being "all original" anymore, or put it back the way it was? Also, did it tweak your wheel/suspension at all, or is it entirely cosmetic?

So, I have thought about it. It was pretty cool to have something that was exactly the same as if it had just rolled off the production line, but I don't want to be one of "those" guys. I'm not going to do anything crazy to it, but I am trying to see this as a blessing in disguise. It did hit the wheel to where the top is leaning inward, so we're definitely looking at suspension work on the front. I have also wanted to convert to the small bumpers which actually requires the fenders to be notched or donor fenders from a car that had small bumpers from the factory. You can actually get repro versions of the small bumper fenders brand new, so I'll probably just get those installed and do the conversion. There's actually a guy that might some good donor pieces about three and a half hours away, so I'll swing by and see what he's got. There's some other minor body work that needs to be done and what better time than this to bite the bullet and get her taken care of.

As long as they didn't do some crazy underlying damage like tweaking the frame (which I can't see any indication of) then I should come out ahead. I've also recently moved to a place that's got a much better work area which is nice for the parts I can do on my own. I'm also fortunate enough that the local vintage car shop that already knows my car does collision work too. Those guys are cool as poo poo and always have amazing beasts in the parking lot whenever I come through.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Box flares time.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Put the sticker on after I did my first rides yesterday. I picked a very poor day to start though - Sunday afternoon in old downtown Annapolis during the boat show. Don't think I got over 20mph at all.

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Installed Eibach Pro springs, about a 1" drop, and Garageline hub centric wheel spacers, 20mm front and 25mm rear. I like this look a lot more than the Genesis Coupe SUV look I had before. It's definitely a stiffer ride but not a deal breaker compared to the much cleaner look.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Epoxied over my smashed out passenger lock and filled the pry gaps at the bottom of the handle (on the truck, Lexus is okay). Super lovely tweeker-cum-car thieves around here, I break these handles at junkyards faster than I can unlock em with a key. Sheet metal damage is bad enough I think my next junkyard trip will include a door.

I need to blow this loving shithole.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
The slow march to get my engine in continued with wire looming, throttle body cleaning and filling the front diff with oil. I thought it would be easier with such unobstructed access but it turns out I need a flexible filter or some hose for the oil to overcome geometry.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Shrugs Not Drugs posted:

Epoxied over my smashed out passenger lock and filled the pry gaps at the bottom of the handle (on the truck, Lexus is okay). Super lovely tweeker-cum-car thieves around here, I break these handles at junkyards faster than I can unlock em with a key. Sheet metal damage is bad enough I think my next junkyard trip will include a door.

You should just buy the Town Car off me. It already has no glass in the front passenger door, all you have to do is put a bear trap in the glovebox with a single iPod headphone dangling out and you'll get your man.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Shrugs Not Drugs posted:

my truck was unlocked and they still creased the door prying the door handle off. They're so dumb and destructive they'll do $1000 damage to steal a fiver.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

At that point I wish they'd just loving pop the window, a vacuum and 25 dollars at the junkyard (or glass insurance call) solves that problem. gently caress you if you ding up my panels, finding the right color at the junkyard is annoying.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Ripping down your block leaving a full 007 smoke screen ala Seafoam never gets old. Results may be dubious, but it's worth the price of admission.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Threw new brakes on the new (to me) car. I could hear the front right squeaking a bit and the pad looked low, but figured the rears needed it too. Glad I bought them. Rears weren't as bad but they were close enough to needing them.

Decided to check the compression arm bushings which apparently fail all the time on these cars. I didn't have the squeaks and pops over bumps but

God dammit. Add that to the list. Was torn on both sides with <50k miles.

I still love these pretty bitchin' brakes.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.
From this:

To this:

Dirt cheap upgrade but worth every cent.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Cat delete? Thats usually illegal.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Cage posted:

Cat delete? Thats usually illegal.
Fantastic.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

metaxus posted:

From this:

To this:

God those hub caps on the series 1 AU Forte were loving ugly. Nice upgrade

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

metaxus posted:

From this:

To this:

I recently drove an AU for the first time and that torque is mental on gravel. It probably wasn't helped by the large amount of play in the throttle but still one hell of a one wheel spinner.

edit: Thinking of torque I thought I'd look up the dyno I got done a few weeks back because I didn't look closely at it and gently caress is that correct? No way my 16 year old RB25DET is putting out that much right?

tobu fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Oct 24, 2016

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

metaxus posted:

From this:

To this:

Does the grille off the next model up fit too? Might be a good next upgrade.

My father got a new car and left the old one neglected and unwashed since late last year so it was covered in backed on pollen and sap and god knows what else. He's on holiday so I spent the entire labour day afternoon around at his place cleaning and polishing it

Looks okayish from a distance but man the paint on this thing is crap up close and I'm pretty sure the headlights are beyond all restoration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

What market is that car from? The headlights look absolutely nothing like the ones we got (US). For that matter, the US market one is a lot more... subdued.

IIRC the US market ST got the same headlights as the regular Focus models, except with part of the housing blacked out. But I don't think we got it until 2002? either.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Oct 24, 2016