Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Can I get varicose veins from walking too much or not enough? Because I see long periods of standing can be a contributing factor yet taking a brisk walk can prevent them. I'm on a trip for the weekend that involves a lot of walking on hard concrete and want to be mindful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010
I have a baby! Thanks to the lady at the nurses line insisting I absolutely could not go to the hospital for a long rear end time, by the time I got there I was already dilated 8-9. I had planned on an epidural, but the anesthesiologist arrived 5 minutes after my water broke and pushing had begun in earnest. So instead of drugs I got to scream like a dying banshee and like...half black out at one point?

Upside, I really only pushed for half an hour?

So now I have a baby. Before today I have held a baby exactly once. I have barely slept just because doing everything while trying to not piss off my stitches just takes so. Long.

Also is he wrecked because he banged his head against my chest when I was burping him? It wasn't that hard, but of course it happened right after I read the pamphlet about babies' brains getting permanent damage from "even collisions with soft objects" and ahhrgh.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
Babies are built to last. If one could permanently damage oneself by headbutting one's mother while trying to get to a breast we would all have horrible brain damage. Don't shake or drop your baby and it will most likely be fine. Congratulations! Way to rock that labour.

54 40 or gently caress posted:

Can I get varicose veins from walking too much or not enough? Because I see long periods of standing can be a contributing factor yet taking a brisk walk can prevent them. I'm on a trip for the weekend that involves a lot of walking on hard concrete and want to be mindful.

Varicose veins are caused by a combination of inherent weakness in the blood vessels exacerbated by hormones (so, nothing you can do anything about) and blood staying in your legs too long and putting pressure on those blood vessels. Standing for a long time makes it hard for blood to get out of your legs, especially in pregnancy, so can make varicose veins worse. Walking does the opposite because the contractions of the muscles push blood back toward your heart.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Congratulations!

I can't wait to get on the other side, I'm 38 weeks now and full of a big old baby. Getting my mobility back and being able to eat food without a follow up bout of indigestion are just as exciting to me right now as getting a baby out of the deal.

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010

Rondette posted:

Congratulations!

I can't wait to get on the other side, I'm 38 weeks now and full of a big old baby. Getting my mobility back and being able to eat food without a follow up bout of indigestion are just as exciting to me right now as getting a baby out of the deal.

My new digestive reality is definitely a bonus. I had to be on anti nausea meds the whole pregnancy to function, but once he was out that was instantly gone.

Now if the "rest" on top of my care plan weren't a hilarious joke. I spent an hour pacing around the hospital room because unheld baby=crying baby and that was the only way I could hold him without falling asleep. He's getting taken to the nursery for a bunch of tests now, so I get a couple hours.

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

I'm at 19 weeks now and I've determined the Quickening has occured! I feel random squirmings and such. :3

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
Aaagh you guys, the nausea/vomiting continues to get worse. Someone please give me some kind of magic remedy that will make me un-miserable. I'm taking six Diclectin a day plus Gravol for breakthrough nausea, plus Zantac. I'm doing everything I'm supposed to do: lots of fluids, snacks every hour, going to bed early. This morning I couldn't even keep down water. :( It usually gets better in the late afternoon or evening but pretty much from when I wake up to 4 p.m. I'm miserably puking or miserably trying not to puke. Someone tell me this will go away.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Dogfish posted:

Aaagh you guys, the nausea/vomiting continues to get worse. Someone please give me some kind of magic remedy that will make me un-miserable. I'm taking six Diclectin a day plus Gravol for breakthrough nausea, plus Zantac. I'm doing everything I'm supposed to do: lots of fluids, snacks every hour, going to bed early. This morning I couldn't even keep down water. :( It usually gets better in the late afternoon or evening but pretty much from when I wake up to 4 p.m. I'm miserably puking or miserably trying not to puke. Someone tell me this will go away.

It will get better, in all probability. At least ease off some! How many weeks are you now? Have you had IV fluids yet? The vitamin bag usually props me up for a couple of days, and being less dehydrated can help. I had two saline + one vitamin bag yesterday and am feeling quite a bit better -- I'm 9 weeks in with my second, so I have the benefit this go round of all the hard lessons from my first.

Do you have access to zofran there? I'm having decent luck with 4 diclegis + 8mg zofran. Also, IV zofran can be more effective than the oral dissolving one.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Have you tried peppermint oil?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Around here, ladies are usually admitted to a hospital when their nausea is that bad.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
I'm 10+3 so if this follows the usual course I should only have a couple weeks left, I hope. We usually don't admit anyone to hospital here unless they're dehydrated (or at severe risk for dehydration, so not keeping down water for 12 hours or not making urine for 8 hours) or unless they have hyperemesis gravidarum. I haven't had an IV but today I was moments away from texting a colleague to come do one at home for me, haha. I don't think I'm dehydrated - I'm making clear urine and have managed to keep down about a litre of water this afternoon.

We do have Zofran here and it would be the next step . I might text my OB tomorrow and see what she thinks.

I haven't tried peppermint oil but I have found that chewing mint gum helps briefly. How do you use it?

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I take some and rub it on my temples, back of my neck and just the tiniest, tiniest swipe on the sides of my nose. It has helped me somewhat with headaches, definitely for congestion and sore muscles, I'm not 100% on nausea but it's been magical for everything else so I'd give it a shot anyway

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
I definitely will. I would rub my cat's rear end on my temples right now if I thought it would let me get a solid hour without nausea.

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!
What sort of anti nausea do they give chemo patients? Would it be pregnancy safe?

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
Ondansetron (Zofran) or metaclopramide (Reglan), and they are both given to pregnant people who are experience severe nausea. Safety data is always tricky in pregnancy; Diclectin is the only anti-nausea mediation that's actually been tested in pregnancy. There was a study last year that linked Zofran to an increase in cardiac malformations, but not a large increase. (And the study was done by a doctor who has significant financial ties to Duchesnay, who make Diclectin, and who has come under scrutiny for his financial disclosures or lack thereof.)

Some of my nausea probably IS in fact chemotherapy nausea since I'm being treated with interferon right now. Which makes me scared that this won't go away after the first trimester. :(

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

Interesting, I always thought surely chemo nausea would be the worst nausea known to man and if they can fix that they can fix pregnancy nausea. This was before I learned about HE though, :( The other thought was wondering if radiation poisoning nausea had a counter medication, but I'm guessing if you're puking because your GIT is dying then nothing short of heavy sedation is going to relieve that kind of suffering. How come you're on interferon if it's ok to ask?

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
I have a blood disease, in the same family as leukemia but involving a different group of cells. Interferon is the only treatment that's safe in pregnancy.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Dogfish you sound at least as bad as me, and I have an official hyperemesis diagnosis. I was down to peeing maybe twice a day-- I didn't think it was all that bad, but my OB did. I really can't emphasize enough how much better a banana bag has made me feel. This is my second one, and it's just as miraculous this time as the last.

My nausea at the moment is down to this weird grinding feeling in my stomach that's sort of like hunger but not. We'll see how long this lasts until I need my next hit. Luckily, I live across the street from the hospital my OB is in so I can just pop in as needed.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
I am watching my hydration status very carefully and if I stopped peeing normally I would definitely go to the hospital, don't worry! I did lose quite a bit of weight early on but I'm starting to slowly gain it back since the Diclectin by grazing constantly in the evening when it gets better. I'll talk to my OB tomorrow and see if she thinks a different medication or even some fluids would be appropriate. Thanks for all the advice and sympathy, gals; I'm mostly just wanting to have a little moan about it and your listening is appreciated!

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
I feel you, Dogfish. I'm lucky enough to not be vomiting but I am so nauseous. I didn't end up drinking anything for 12 hours yesterday because there was nothing I could remotely swallow without wanting to gag. I'm pretty sure I'm not dehydrated because I got a lot down once I found something drinkable, but this definitely sucks. Diclegis makes me even more tired and I'm not really sure if it's doing anything.

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010
It's fine to let the little guy sleep chest to chest with me if I'm awake, right? Because that's basically his favorite thing ever. The lactation consultant at the hospital basically said the more skin to skin the better, but with all of the "only let baby sleep on its back" I don't know what to think.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
If an adult is awake (and likely to stay awake) it's fine to let a baby sleep however they want: on your chest, in the incredibly expensive baby swing, whatever. Always make sure you can see baby's whole face (i.e. it isn't covered by a blanket, soft carrier strap, etc) and that you're keeping a close eye on his breathing. If he can't breathe well, you'll know and you'll adjust him. "Back to sleep" is the advice we give for when adults are asleep and not available to make an immediate adjustment if necessary. Skin-to-skin is really excellent for your baby in all kinds of ways, not just breastfeeding, so do it as much as you can. Plus it's so snuggly!!

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
We are 2 and a half months out and well into the Third Trimester. Just got done building the crib and changing table and things are definitely solidifying.

Something Positive was denied FML by one month but was given 6 to 8 weeks post birth thankfully so she isn't screwed out of things completely. I have applied on my end but I have no idea what's going to happen... I know I should get it because I've been there for over 2 and a half years but I never know if they will try to screw us over. :ohdear:

Doctor has said "Something Spiffy" looks healthy and is shaping up to be a vaginal delivery (no foreseen complications that may cause Cesarean) and seems to be healthy. She is the one good thing going on this year as the past three for us have been a nonstop shitstorm of Pain, deaths , and sadness for us. This is the one thing going right for us right now and we hope everything goes well

TRISHY
Apr 12, 2005

Hello!

Since my last post I've had 2 scans done and am now officially 10 weeks.
My dr has said I am high risk due to having PCOS and my weight. I am slightly stressed, my blood pressure is high.
I am getting these weird headaches/dizzy spells which come on at anytime. It feels like vertigo in the way I can't see straight, but it doesn't last very long. When they come on, I usually just try take deep breaths and lay on my back with my knees up and it usually passes.
I get a tingle through my hands and feet and feel clammy afterwards. I have told my doctor this but she didn't seem to think there was anything wrong.

Yesterday I drank a lot more water than usual to see if it helped, which it did because I didn't have one all day, until I got a really bad headache before bed and the dizzy spell went on longer than usual. It came on like waves behind my eyes.
It also comes on when driving, which makes me very nervous and afraid to drive.

Has anyone else had this? Or should I be getting a second opinion?

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
Do you have a blood pressure monitor? You can get the automatic wrist ones for under 30 bucks. Could be BP related?

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
I think it's almost certainly BP related, it's a little concerning but I think if your doctor is truly not worried then maybe it's okay? I know that those things tend to sort themselves out when your body gets used to your extra blood volume. I'd be very wary of those wrist BP monitors also! They are notoriously inaccurate.

When you lie down on your back, try to put not just your knees but your feet up too if you can. This is called the Trendelenburg position and it is very effective in alleviating BP drops, we use it at the clinic pretty often.

The fact that it happens every day is a little worrying, what if it happens while you're driving or something? :ohdear:

TRISHY
Apr 12, 2005

Sharks Below posted:

I think it's almost certainly BP related, it's a little concerning but I think if your doctor is truly not worried then maybe it's okay? I know that those things tend to sort themselves out when your body gets used to your extra blood volume. I'd be very wary of those wrist BP monitors also! They are notoriously inaccurate.

When you lie down on your back, try to put not just your knees but your feet up too if you can. This is called the Trendelenburg position and it is very effective in alleviating BP drops, we use it at the clinic pretty often.

The fact that it happens every day is a little worrying, what if it happens while you're driving or something? :ohdear:

I went food shopping today and it happened while shopping, then happened again as I was driving up the driveway at home.
I had two episodes while driving on the freeway on Saturday night. I ended up pulling over and having to lie down on the back seat. Unfortunately my partner was drunk so he couldn't take over.

It's just so frustrating. I hate the feeling!

pseudomonas
Mar 31, 2010
I had a friend with similar symptoms during her pregnancy that was caused by anaemia, so it might be worth asking your doctor about that.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

TRISHY posted:

I went food shopping today and it happened while shopping, then happened again as I was driving up the driveway at home.
I had two episodes while driving on the freeway on Saturday night. I ended up pulling over and having to lie down on the back seat. Unfortunately my partner was drunk so he couldn't take over.

It's just so frustrating. I hate the feeling!

I'm not sure if you work or what your job may be but you may also consider asking to work from home if that's the case. Reduce the risk of getting hurt as much as possible.

TRISHY
Apr 12, 2005

54 40 or gently caress posted:

I'm not sure if you work or what your job may be but you may also consider asking to work from home if that's the case. Reduce the risk of getting hurt as much as possible.

Fortunately I was made redundant so am currently not working.

I have had way more episodes today than I have had in the week, so my partner is taking me to a different doctor to get a second opinion first thing tomorrow morning.
It really worries me. Hopefully they can give me an indication on what to do to prevent it. My partner works nightshift and if I need to go out during the day I can't expect him to take me places between 10am and 7pm, then he leaves for work at 9.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Is there any way you could go to the hospital like right now? Anyone that can take you? I live in Canada so random emergency visits are something that I don't really need to think twice about but if you can get in there and get checked out ASAP I would.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
Dizzy spells and vertigo during pregnancy could be almost anything, ranging from "normal pregnancy weirdness" to a serious issue. I think you're doing the right thing in seeing the doctor.

SquirrelFace
Dec 17, 2009
Well I'm positive for group b strep so that's fun.

Also having to do a 24 hour urine collection now for the high BP. At least I get a day off work since carrying around a catch tray and bright orange jug of piss that needs to be refrigerated probably wouldn't go over well in the office...

kittiesgomeow
Oct 13, 2008

This avatar cost on average $27.
How much thirst is too much? I feel like I'm constantly thirsty. I lecture at a university and in a 75 minute course I drink 750 ml of water (I have one of those camelbaks). I'm averaging about 3 of those a day--so 2.25L--as well as a cup or so tea and/or milk (I drank a gallon of milk in 2 days last week).

On the one hand, I know my blood volume has increased significantly and I need to keep up the amniotic fluid, but my mother made me scared that I'm TOO thirsty and should have my sugar tested.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
The Canadian recommendation is that pregnant women drink at least 2.3 L daily so it sounds like you're right on track. Talking makes you thirsty, too, so if you're talking for 75 minutes I wouldn't be surprised if you ended up drinking more. Your doctor or midwife will probably offer you screening for gestational diabetes around 22-24 weeks, so you could mention it at your next visit if you're concerned.

Dogfish fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Oct 18, 2016

kittiesgomeow
Oct 13, 2008

This avatar cost on average $27.
Thanks :) I felt like I wasn't crazy but my mother was a nurse for 50 years so I tend to take her medical opinions seriously (on the other hand, she does have a tendency to overreact...) Happy to hear I'm right around the recommendation!

I definitely know that lecturing makes me hella thirsty but otherwise I feel a "normal"? amount of pregnancy thirst. Today was worse than usual for some reason and I'm still trying to make up for lost fluids. My poor throat! Maybe I should use sign language for lecture tomorrow.

TRISHY
Apr 12, 2005

The other dr just said I had vertigo.
He said it should go in a few weeks. I am so over it!

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

I drank 3 to 4 litres of water a day when I was pregnant, partly because if I didn't no amount of stool softeners could match the constipatory power of pregnancy hormones + prenatal vitamins. I did a bladder diary for my pelvic floor physio recently and still average about 3L of fluids a day thanks to being parched from breastfeeding.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

kittiesgomeow posted:

Thanks :) I felt like I wasn't crazy but my mother was a nurse for 50 years so I tend to take her medical opinions seriously (on the other hand, she does have a tendency to overreact...) Happy to hear I'm right around the recommendation!

I definitely know that lecturing makes me hella thirsty but otherwise I feel a "normal"? amount of pregnancy thirst. Today was worse than usual for some reason and I'm still trying to make up for lost fluids. My poor throat! Maybe I should use sign language for lecture tomorrow.

Just mumble incoherently while you gesture vaguely at the PowerPoint and you'll be pretty much on par with 80% of the lecturers out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
A double post for all my fellow pukers: you know what has been absolutely saving my life this week? Apple juice mixed 50/50 with water. I can't explain why it works but if I drink a big glass of it my stomach immediately settles enough to eat something. It's a weird miracle. Thanks again to you all for listening to me moan about my nausea earlier; this weekend was really really bad until the apple juice gods smiled upon me.