Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Haggins posted:

I will probably be alright if I waited a couple weeks.

Rumors seem to be pointing to an October 25 event. You might as well wait and see at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Cool, good to know a day. I'm going to feel like a Brazilian tourist the day I go in and buy an iMac and MBP same trip.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Haggins posted:

Cool, good to know a day. I'm going to feel like a Brazilian tourist the day I go in and buy an iMac and MBP same trip.
Churn a credit card intro offer and get your 100,000 points/miles in one day!

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Churn a credit card intro offer and get your 100,000 points/miles in one day!

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Mister Speaker posted:

The techs that inspected my 5,1's new CPUs (and everyone else I talk to about it) are baffled - they're telling me that the machine is not reading thermal information from the new chips and that basically the only solution is to put the old chips back in. Does this mean the new CPUs are just... bad? They show up fine in the system profiler and the machine ran noticeably faster and without any hiccups... But if they're not showing thermal information is this a sign of problems later down the road? I'm royally pissed off right now for having sunk so much money and time into this.

You reaaaaalllly should go over to MacRumors's forums and check out their Mac Pro board, if memory serves, they have an entire thread and FAQ devoted to which of Intel's CPUs will work properly on 5,1's, 4,1's and all the rest. Only certain configs are supported, I barely remember SLEG being one of them.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Haggins posted:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Chase Sapphire Reserve is a good place to start looking.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I think I'm just going to go ahead and build a powerful desktop PC for Premiere and After Effects plus Plex. I'll probably still get a MacBook Pro though. Apple makes the best portable poo poo on earth. They're like Nintendo.

What is the equivalent to a 5k iMac screen though?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Housh posted:

I think I'm just going to go ahead and build a powerful desktop PC for Premiere and After Effects plus Plex. I'll probably still get a MacBook Pro though. Apple makes the best portable poo poo on earth. They're like Nintendo.

What is the equivalent to a 5k iMac screen though?

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Monitor-UP2715K-27-Inch-LED-Lit/dp/B00OKSFXZU

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
If someone had told me years ago that in 2016 we'd be calling Dell anything the "best" I would have called them crazy. When did they start making quality products?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

robodex posted:

When did they start making quality products?
When Jobs passed. :rolleyes:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

robodex posted:

If someone had told me years ago that in 2016 we'd be calling Dell anything the "best" I would have called them crazy. When did they start making quality products?

Dell has been selling some good monitors for years. The cheap ones are lovely like anyone else but that have some quality ones

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Bob Morales posted:

Dell has been selling some good monitors for years. The cheap ones are lovely like anyone else but that have some quality ones

I'm still using my u2410. Sierra fixed the bug that was causing it to not wake from sleep properly.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I'm pretty sure I still have a Dell laptop from the 90s laying around that boots up perfectly. Dell built some tanks.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Dell used to rebrand a really expensive Samsung laptop when Samsung didn't sell computers in the US. I remember it was one of the thinnest laptops ever at the time.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I don't see what people see in dell monitors. I returned the last one I bought for various reasons. But then again I've never bought a dell monitor for $1600

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
Dell UltraSharps are almost universally great. However, you really should not buy the 5K monitor, because it relies on DisplayPort Multi-Stream Transport (effectively, it's being treated as two distinct displays) due to DP 1.2 bandwidth limitations, the same way early 4K monitors did, and that's really not a great solution for real world use.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Being an early adopter of fancy monitors is never a good idea

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I agree. The 4k 27" ultra would suffice and with the money saved I can throw that into a crazy GPU setup.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Ugh. Groupon has a 5K iMac for $1300... but it comes with a standard hard drive. Taking one look online, replacing it with a ssd looks like a big old can of nope to me. Can the new computers be announced already?

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Bob Morales posted:

Being an early adopter of fancy monitors is never a good idea

Eh, I wouldn't say that. The early 30" WQXGA displays were pretty much all fine. And going back even further, things like the Sony FW900 too. It's only when it requires some sort of quirky or non-mature technology for connectivity (like MST) that you really have problems (other than of the "spent way too much money" variety).

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Seemed like there were a few dark years where everyone was shipping poo poo with dead pixels but outside of that I don't think there's any particular problem with early adopting monitors.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

ethanol posted:

I don't see what people see in dell monitors. I returned the last one I bought for various reasons. But then again I've never bought a dell monitor for $1600

Which monitor was it? They sell plenty of garbage but their Ultrasharps are usually solid.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Pryor on Fire posted:

Seemed like there were a few dark years where everyone was shipping poo poo with dead pixels but outside of that I don't think there's any particular problem with early adopting monitors.

Early desktop LCD's had hideous ghosting from low response times

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

8ender posted:

Early desktop LCD's had hideous ghosting from low response times

high response times but yeah

viewing angles were pretty awful, there was terrible ghosting and lag, colour reproduction was nowhere near that of CRTs, backlight bleed was insane. early LCDs kinda sucked. reasonable people stuck with CRTs until these issues were more or less resolved.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Which monitor was it? They sell plenty of garbage but their Ultrasharps are usually solid.

I think a u2414, it was a while ago. The main problem was a large light bleed in one of the corners and the black levels being terrible

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Entropy238 posted:

Strap in folks, looks like we might be getting a completely adjustable lcd/e-ink style keyboard:

https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/572ds6/video_tip_of_apples_new_smart_macbook_and_smart/

does anyone have a link for this. the text just says [deleted]

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It was covered on macrumors the other day. They didn't seem as convinced to the legitimacy, but maybe things have changed since.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
I tried out a rMB today at the Apple Store while I was waiting on a repair. There is no way that keyboard could make it into the new pros right? Cause if it does I have to buy a windows laptop.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

rally posted:

I tried out a rMB today at the Apple Store while I was waiting on a repair. There is no way that keyboard could make it into the new pros right? Cause if it does I have to buy a windows laptop.

i think the keyboard is mostly the same as the old ones? i have a retina pro with the fancy force touch thing (which i think was announced the same time as the macbook with usb-c), and a slightly older retina pro without the force touch thingy, and the keyboards feel pretty much the same

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

dc3k posted:

i think the keyboard is mostly the same as the old ones? i have a retina pro with the fancy force touch thing (which i think was announced the same time as the macbook with usb-c), and a slightly older retina pro without the force touch thingy, and the keyboards feel pretty much the same

The rMB keyboard is different from the rMBP keyboard.

And it's loving fantastic.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

dc3k posted:

The 12" Macbook is the one with the terrible keyboard.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

The 12" Macbook is the one with the terrible keyboard.

To clear this up... I agree. They use the new scissor switches, compared to old school chiclet style. However the new magic keyboards have scissor switches that rock. Totally different experience.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
oh i thought the new macbook pro got the fancy new keyboard as well

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

dc3k posted:

oh i thought the new macbook pro got the fancy new keyboard as well

Unfortunately not yet. There's still hope.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Thought perhaps this might be a good place to ask this, even though it is rather more software than hardware.

Vintage mac time. When I started out in commercial printing, we had a compact mac (probably a SE or SE/30) that was used for typesetting and the occasional game of Dark Castle. In a fit of nostalgia I dug out one I had been given to me by a client ages ago. It turned out to be a Performa 200. For some dumb reason that was not nostalgic enough for me, so I bought a SE/30 off of ebay and am soon to remove the MB and have it recapped.

I have already began dumping money into it's semi-dead state:
http://www.bigmessowires.com/floppy-emu/
http://www.bigmessowires.com/mac-rom-inator-ii/
8x https://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/30PS16MB/

If I stop and think on it too much, it occurs to me that all in all it is a bit of overkill. So I am asking this somewhat to offset that line of thinking:
What software from back then would be the most hardware intensive, to put this through it's paces?

I had thought CAD, which would be neat as I do some modern-day 2D CAD at my job.

Crossposting in the vintage games thread.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

How about PhotoShop 1.0 for Mac, which is freely available if you Google hard enough?

http://www.cultofmac.com/315733/what-its-like-to-use-photoshop-1-0-on-a-vintage-mac-25-years-later/

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

The Magic Keyboard is amazing and the MBP keyboard feels slow and heavy by comparison and I hope the new MBP has one like the magic.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I need some advice. Not sure if I should give up on my trusty mid-2009 MBP 17" or keep fighting with it.

It's been a great machine and I feel like I have gotten my money's worth out of it. However, it's not without problems. Several years back, it started having boot issues. You push the power button, light comes on, SuperDrive whirrs - and then it turns back off. Once you repeat that cycle a few times it boots up. A friend suggested replacing the HDD and RAM, so I did, and the problem persisted although once it booted the machine was very noticeably faster. I don't do much on it other than browse the web and print on occasion, so I just leave it on and it's generally fine. The problem also manifests itself when I plug a USB drive in, sometimes it shuts off, like it did today. So I fiddled with it for about an hour, but instead of booting it eventually reached a point where it gave me a question mark folder on a gray screen.

I have noticed that if the machine is hot, like left in a hot car on a summers day hot, it works fine. Research indicates that this is a bad logic board and can temporarily remedied by baking the board in the oven to reflow the solder. I did this today, reassembled it and it works great, power stays on. However, the folder problem persists. I tried another hard drive in it and it recognized the drive so I know the controller and cable are good, but I can't dedicate that drive to the machine.

So is it worth spending another $120 on a SSD for it? Or should I quit beating the dead horse? I don't have $2500 to spend on a new one, but I have 15 years worth of stuff on a time machine drive and I don't want to go back to a PC.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

rdb posted:

So is it worth spending another $120 on a SSD for it? Or should I quit beating the dead horse? I don't have $2500 to spend on a new one, but I have 15 years worth of stuff on a time machine drive and I don't want to go back to a PC.

If you can't afford a new one, then go ahead and get an SSD for it. But realize that you are living on borrowed time. It might last until tomorrow, it might truck for another year if you give it all of the TLC. It's gasping for life and it needs to be replaced.

As an alternative option, it might be useful to get the $700 Mac Mini if you never actually go portable with it (Depending on your use, obviously you can't kick it on the bed with a mini). Also before you make a decision to buy a new one, check with financing options, such as Apple's financing option on their website and places like Frys/MicroCenter/Best Buy that sell Macs. I don't pretend to know your financial situation, but you might be able to pick one up and pay $50 to $100 a month on a revolving credit line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Binary Badger posted:

How about PhotoShop 1.0 for Mac, which is freely available if you Google hard enough?

http://www.cultofmac.com/315733/what-its-like-to-use-photoshop-1-0-on-a-vintage-mac-25-years-later/

The se30 is black/white. Not even greyscale for photo work.