Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Alain Post posted:

they are, and manufacturer involvement is the specific reason they're moving away from the V8 image. fine by me since traditionally the ATCC had a shitload of engine types being run

I think it's less manufacturer involvement and more oh god Holden please don't leave the championship since right now Holden are the only ones saying they'll use a V6 when the regs change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Didn't Ford pull official manufacturer support from Supercars a few years ago? Or at least threaten to?

I can't imagine an Australian racing series with no Ford or no Holden. Might as well be Indycar with no Honda or no Chevy.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Supercars sounds dumb.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I wasn't following it a few years ago but I wouldn't be surprised given almost the entire field runs Fords right now while Holden is constantly cutting back its involvement.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

WindyMan posted:

Didn't Ford pull official manufacturer support from Supercars a few years ago? Or at least threaten to?
Ford's dropped factory support for Australian Touring Cars so many times you tend to forget when they officially supported it.

Pretty well most of the V8 Ford teams are getting back door support from Ford. Word is that the rules will be changed in 2018 to allow different body shapes and engine types. Ford will still use the Falcon next year (and that has gotta hurt all the workers who lost their jobs) but will be looking at using the Mustang after that.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Also let's all laugh at Triple 8 Racing/Red Bull Racing Australia:

http://www.speedcafe.com/2016/10/14/court-ruling-confirms-davisonwebb-bathurst-win/

The V8 Supercar Appeal Board has made an interim ruling that Davison and Webb have won this year's Bathurst 1000, and that Red Bull can only challenge the severity of the penalty they copped towards the end of this year's race.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The BTCC Hondas are the Red Cars of that series. I was hoping for a Tordoff upset of sorts.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

The BTCC Hondas are the Red Cars of that series. I was hoping for a Tordoff upset of sorts.

Hilariously the boss of Yuasa Racing is saying the grid was way too big this year and he wants it capped at 24 cars going forward and also we should have BTCC specific licences for some reason. The amount of hilarious whining coming from some of the top teams over the fact that there were some crashes this season is amazing given the penalties brought in after the Snetterton shitshow were never actually needed as everyone kinda calmed the hell down after that.

Also this is my favourite part of that appeals court ruling.

quote:

Triple Eight applied to the Court to amend its appeal to instead claim that the failed pass was not a breach of the driving standards at all, despite numerous prior admissions by Triple Eight that the failed pass was a breach.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Rumor has it end of next year Audi is withdrawing from LMP1. Cost cutting measure still from the dieselgate saga. Haven't got anything firm but that's gonna be a punch in the gut for LMP1.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I think they will use it to get costs down instead.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

BMB5150 posted:

Rumor has it end of next year Audi is withdrawing from LMP1. Cost cutting measure still from the dieselgate saga. Haven't got anything firm but that's gonna be a punch in the gut for LMP1.

Audi quitting to hand over the reigns to Porsche has been the rumour for 3 years or so now.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
I know I've defended LMP1 in the past, and I do love it, but I'd like GT1 style rules to come back.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

George Zimmer posted:

I know I've defended LMP1 in the past, and I do love it, but I'd like GT1 style rules to come back.

Having GT1 come back for a few years to then re-transition into LMP1 again would be sweet.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

BMB5150 posted:

I think that company is in alot more financial trouble than they're letting on, it was really a matter of time until one of the LMP1 programs was axed.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Toyota is running at half the budget despite being based in Germany as well.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Top prototype class in boom-bust cycle shocker

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

1500quidporsche posted:

I think that company is in alot more financial trouble than they're letting on, it was really a matter of time until one of the LMP1 programs was axed.

Isn't VAG a publicly traded company? If so, it's kinda impossible to hide their financial health.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

gret posted:

Isn't VAG a publicly traded company? If so, it's kinda impossible to hide their financial health.

They've got alot of diesel tech that's worthless and the main platform underpinning the majority of their volume sellers is generally acknowledged to be way too expensive for the category it's selling in. That kind of stuff doesn't really show up on financial statements, and they need to be putting alot of cash into R&D right now. The rumors about the golf hybrid being some convoluted belt driven starter/generator with an electric supercharger driven off a regular car battery doesn't really inspire confidence.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

CBJSprague24 posted:

nah TeamDynamics and especially Shedden are cool imo. the real villain is Plato

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Alain Post posted:

nah TeamDynamics and especially Shedden are cool imo. the real villain is Plato

Except Turkington was kicking Plato's rear end all over the place this year.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah, which was cool

e) Turks is one of the best drivers in the series and he's also one of the cleanest IMO. Shedden isn't bad either, they're probably my two favorite BTCC guys.

though honestly Turkington's been my favorite BTCC guy ever since I started watching in 2006 and he had the coolest looking car in the entire series

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 14, 2016

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also speaking of unlikable teams, I'm conflicted in Supercars this year, because I hate 888/Red Bull but I've always really loved SVG :ohdear:

If he wins the title I'll be happy honestly

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

Alain Post posted:

though honestly Turkington's been my favorite BTCC guy ever since I started watching in 2006 and he had the coolest looking car in the entire series

Friendly heads up but you posted an image of an MG instead of a cool car

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Just because it's a lousy road car doesn't mean it can't be a cool race car. Like, the Audi 90 is a miserable pile of poo poo in pretty much every way (imagine a E30 3-series but really unreliable, heavier,not assembled properly and with plow on understeer) but the IMSA GTO version kicks rear end.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Human Grand Prix posted:

Just because it's a lousy road car doesn't mean it can't be a cool race car. Like, the Audi 90 is a miserable pile of poo poo in pretty much every way (imagine a E30 3-series but really unreliable, heavier,not assembled properly and with plow on understeer) but the IMSA GTO version kicks rear end.

IIRC, them racing this made everybody else have to pile on a poo poo ton of ballast, the E90/E92s being like 400lbs.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
SuperStars owned for like the two years it was a thing

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Alain Post posted:

also speaking of unlikable teams, I'm conflicted in Supercars this year, because I hate 888/Red Bull but I've always really loved SVG :ohdear:

If he wins the title I'll be happy honestly

I've got a rule about the V8 SC, as long as it isn't Whincup, it's all good.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
The WEC race at Fuji is very good in case y'all were curious.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

I just tuned in with 3 hours to go. What happened to the #7 Audi, exactly?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

WindyMan posted:

I just tuned in with 3 hours to go. What happened to the #7 Audi, exactly?

The hybrid front axle/motor went kabang about an hour into the race. Not sure if they're back on the track minus hybrid or not.

I wanted to go this year but just couldn't make it. Looks absolutely stunning out there today.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
Ogier won another world rally championship. I don't think anyone even expected anything else or cares about the whole championship this year.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Ban all Sebs.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Triple A posted:

Ogier won another world rally championship. I don't think anyone even expected anything else or cares about the whole championship this year.

I never once saw anyone talk about WRC this year outside results and the occasional "LOOK HOW COOL NEXT YEARS CARS ARE!!" article.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
WRC is bad.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I really just wish it would die already. Its not going to get better without a major rewrite of the rules.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

1500quidporsche posted:

I really just wish it would die already. Its not going to get better without a major rewrite of the rules.

Let's hope the next year's new rule-set actually gets us a winner who isn't a French prick driving for team who outspend everyone else by a decent margin.,

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Alain Post posted:

WRC is bad.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Alain Post posted:

WRC is bad.

This.

ERC good.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

In his effort to highlight how weak and unskilled the rest of humanity is, Zanardi came back to racing from his training for the Rio Paralympics (where he won 2 golds and a silver)... and proceeded to win an Italian GT Championship race.

http://www.racer.com/international-racing/item/135541-zanardi-wins-on-return-to-motorsport

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Alain Post posted:

WRC is bad.

Meanwhile, in Rallycross

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzXJwiWsvNE

My right eyeball nearly jumped out of my skull watching this for the first time.

• Locked thread