Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Can anyone spoil me (tag it for others if you want) how the hell I'm supposed to go upstairs where Hideo (the NPC that sells you poo poo) is? I can see a weapon icon in there but after a bunch of hours played I still can't access the 2nd floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
theres a certain point in the story where you gain access to the second floor but you can get the gun through a window before that point

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Thanks! I'm going to try get it now.

The game is awesome so far, I've been using mostly the normal shotgun, G36 (saving ammo upgrades own for it) and the semi auto grenade launcher for clearing packs. Got the G36 up to 34% ammo saving so sometimes the mag lasts twice as much if I'm lucky.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Zereth posted:

I may try going harder on melee if I keep going after beating the game because the sword you get at the end of the second to last mission is really, really good. I do need to find the last 8 weapons I didn't get...

They'll be in either Larry's shop or with Hideo. If you do a side mission but don't kill the unique boss, the weapon or skill they drop becomes available at the vendors when you do the next story mission.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

CJacobs posted:

They'll be in either Larry's shop or with Hideo. If you do a side mission but don't kill the unique boss, the weapon or skill they drop becomes available at the vendors when you do the next story mission.
They're not. There's some weapons offered as mission rewards I didn't pick up. One weapon I turned down like three times because I'm not very fond of that type and it never showed up in the shops.

I'm guessing i need to New Game Plus through until those come around again and they'll be mission rewards.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Zereth posted:

I seem to be unusual in that for my first ten-point star skill max, I went for the one that reloads weapons that aren't the one you're currently using. At that level by the time your next weapon runs dry your first one is refilled. It's great. Especially for things with long reloads like a minigun.

I may try going harder on melee if I keep going after beating the game because the sword you get at the end of the second to last mission is really, really good. I do need to find the last 8 weapons I didn't get...

Does something show how many weapons you're missing?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Jusupov posted:

Does something show how many weapons you're missing?
I'm going off the figure people have said and going through how many I have in each category and using a calculator. I have 62 weapons and there's reportedly 70.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Zereth posted:

I'm going off the figure people have said and going through how many I have in each category and using a calculator. I have 62 weapons and there's reportedly 70.
drat that's a lot, but how many of them are functionally identical inside their category?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Soooo I farmed a bit of money to buy the minigun. Slapped all my ammo saving upgrades on it and now I have a 184 bullet mag with 34% ammo save and I can just fire forever holy poo poo. Changed the G36 to bullet piercing and damage to small enemies and this thing tears through trash enemies like anything. Weapons are drat fun to use unlike in SW2013 where meleeing was the best way to play.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Samurai Sanders posted:

drat that's a lot, but how many of them are functionally identical inside their category?

so far everything has been fairly unique in how it handles, along with things like exotic effects and built-in mods

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Johnny Joestar posted:

so far everything has been fairly unique in how it handles, along with things like exotic effects and built-in mods
I like that the patch now lets you take those mods out of weapons if you want. The ones which just convert a large chunk of the damage to an element are underwhelming, especially when I can hit 100% elemental damage by shoving three high-grade lightning or whatever mods in that also increase damage and do other things.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
Agreeing with others to start this game on hard. I'm just average at best with first person shooters, but if the difficulty stays as it is on Know No Fear I can see myself getting bored quickly. It's shooting fish in a barrel right now. Think I'm going to scrap this run and up the difficulty before I get any further in.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I have no words adequate enough to express how loving awesome this game is. It manages to be satisfying on every level. The movement and gunplay is so good, it's gorgeous, it's funny, and the degree to which you can customize your playstyle with different weapons and upgrades is astonishing.

I think this topped Doom 4 for me. I might even say it's the most fun I've ever had with a shooter. Game is a fuckin' steal at its price.

Jan 2, 2014

:raise:

Man, it's been such a long time since I've liked a story so much I wanted more of it. Frankly, there's something downright Final Fantasy -esque about the worldbuilding and characters in Shadow Warrior that's missing from movies and games these days.

Instead of having completely unlikeable and unrelatable, preposterously young, ultra rich, lily-white actors playing literal supermen pulverizing a sterile, urban, gunmetal grey hellscape along with its invisible inhabitants (that's us folks!) on screen, we have a middle-aged asian dude with a goatee and a lovely budget sportscar trying to make it in a crazy, crazy fantasy world. I guess we've finally reached the point where an actual 90's buddy cop action film trope is more humanized than 99% of everything out there.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
You should really play the first game if you haven't. Like it's really good for what serves as the foundation for this game.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

817 posted:

we have a middle-aged asian dude with a goatee and a lovely budget sportscar

Yeah I'll admit that I find Lo Wang's descent into the beginnings of crotchetyness more entertaining than I probably should.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm genuinely surprised that there aren't unique mods that drop in the game. like, uniquely-named ones that have special, predetermined stat spreads that can radically change how a weapon functions. just make them purple or something, and have it so that only one can be equipped on a weapon at a time. bam. instantly another layer of customization.

i mostly thought of it from the weapons that already come with their own mods and how lackluster they kind of are. it'd be neat to see some of them come with their own unique things that players might actually want to keep on there

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I think that kind of gem was not included because it would lead to optimal gem loadouts, and people would farm for em.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i assume they would work the same way that weapons and skills do, in that there's a pool of them and they can be dropped from bosses, sold in the shops, or be quest rewards.

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks
Having finally finished SW2013 this morning and moving on to this gem of a game, everything feels like a breath of fresh air. SW2013 as good as it is, can be a real slog and effectively boring to play towards the latter half. Guns are pretty bad and all I wanted to do was finish the story.

Shooting guns is fun, Lo Wang is fantastic, the jokes are fine, the movement is amazing (no more drat stamina!) and the whole package plays like a much more thought out game. On my nano I'm getting great performance, but some flickering and getting stuck in geometry here and there (got teleported into a wall and had to quit).

Game owns. Giant metal dong sword owns.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
44 of 59 achievements on the first run of the game. God drat.

edit: 53 of 70 weapons, with 5 weapons from Larry. I wonder how many weapons there actually are.

InfinityComplex fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Oct 16, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
After some testing because it was bugging me, I can confirm that miss rate straight-up just means the accuracy of your gun. It doesn't do anything except make your gun have lower base accuracy the higher it is. Put a "-miss rate %" gem on a shotgun and watch the spread indicator magically shrink!

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
why is it not called spread

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Agnostalgia posted:

why is it not called spread

The term "miss rate" is from Diablo, I think? I think. In that game it makes sense to have that phrase because it literally is the chance that your attacks will miss the enemy depending on the level gap between you two.

But it doesn't really make any sense here.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i feel like the storyline of this game can vaguely make sense if you just approach it from the angle of 'lo wang is having a weird coma dream for some reason and that's why everything is off and characters act different than how they did in the first game'

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Just did the ritual after the first mission, and been given an objective for the Wangcave.
There's a weapon icon upstairs above the ninja shop, but I can't get to it. Is it for later, or am I not platforming hard enough?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There's a gun up there. You'll get it later, but if you want to cheese it and get it now it's sitting right next to a window and you can just barely grab it if you can make it up there.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
Man, this game really surprised me how good it actually turned out; I was worried about its shift from what it was in the first reboot game, but wow do the changes work well in this one and make it far superior from the first (well, second).

And then I played a bit yesterday in co-op and it was even more amazing... it really is a Borderlands-type game done right with DOOM-speed combat, fun to use weapons with interesting designs, absolutely gorgeous locations (CANNOT STOP SCREENSHOTTING) with its interesting aesthetic mix of worldly and otherworldly, so-poo poo-jokes-they're-actually-good-again and just flat out fun gameplay due to its freedom of movement and tons of customization options.

I guess the only real downside so far for me is that there is TOO MUCH LOOT TO PICK UP. After every fight we had to spend some time to find all the drops and spawned loot all over the map - there's a bit too much of that I feel. Secret hunting is back and it is awesome, however.

I do wish the story felt a bit more... focused, I liked that in the 2013 game.

km2
Jul 27, 2012

Take a close look at the game content descriptor icons.

Wang included.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Tecman posted:

I guess the only real downside so far for me is that there is TOO MUCH LOOT TO PICK UP. After every fight we had to spend some time to find all the drops and spawned loot all over the map - there's a bit too much of that I feel.

Too many gems,too much time sorting through them figuring out how to bedazzle my weapons after this latest haul. Less frequent, more-important drops would be better.

This bow does a ton of damage. Really chews through the ammo though. Reserved for serious fights.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The gem system is pretty much the only big problem with the game.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Jack Trades posted:

The gem system is pretty much the only big problem with the game.
Yeah I don't like when games have a "sell all junk" button, since that infers that they deliberately made most of the stuff you're going to pick up junk.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

They could've removed every weapon gem that wasn't a special upgrade (Turret, Akimbo, Split Shot, etc.) or an elemental upgrade and the game would've been better for it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think the weapon upgrade gems would've been much better if they had more of an effect. As is, the grey gems are straight-up not even worth using, and blues are pretty close too. Aside from the miss rate ones I barely noticed a difference when stacking weapon upgrade gems. The rest of the gem types are pretty much fine though.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

snickothemule posted:

Having finally finished SW2013 this morning and moving on to this gem of a game, everything feels like a breath of fresh air. SW2013 as good as it is, can be a real slog and effectively boring to play towards the latter half. Guns are pretty bad and all I wanted to do was finish the story.

I liked SW2013 a lot, but SW2 is way, way more ambitious game. I hope it stays as good as it is through the first few hours I've been playing.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I'm basically done opening chests at this point, gems don't really interest me at all and money pours out of baddies and secrets that I don't need them for that either.

I really wish there was an ARPG option of loot filters to determine what you auto-pick up and what you don't, as it is I just get bombarded with uninteresting trash loot all the time.
Also, bunny lord kills in coop don't give friends any loot... which is pretty drat bullshit.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Deakul posted:

I'm basically done opening chests at this point, gems don't really interest me at all and money pours out of baddies and secrets that I don't need them for that either.

You know that weapons do drop from chests every now and then, right? If not for that I would've (tried to) ignored them too.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Yeah I got a Swift & Messon pistol from a chest randomly, it looks really cool with a dual-wield gem but feels horribly inefficient. Rule of Cool trumps DPS stats, however.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Minor nitpick: I wish dual-wielding revolvers made Wang shoot them while alternating hands instead of firing both at once. Also, that the dual-wield gem worked on the sawn-off shotgun. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Jack Trades posted:

You know that weapons do drop from chests every now and then, right? If not for that I would've (tried to) ignored them too.

Don't do this to me, I've been playing it for like 12 hours and never once got a weapon from a chest.

• Locked thread