Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
That is not a raw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

AnonSpore posted:

That is not a raw

Yes, the language is Korean, not Japanese. I don't have a source for a high quality RAW of Baki Dou, do you know of one? On the bright side, with all the action in this chapter, you don't necessarily need a translation.

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010
I believe someone mentioned it before: It would be nice to know what they are saying, but with the way the action and panels are drawn, you can get a pretty good sense of what is going on. That's something I really like about reading this series.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Jedah posted:

Yes, the language is Korean, not Japanese. I don't have a source for a high quality RAW of Baki Dou, do you know of one? On the bright side, with all the action in this chapter, you don't necessarily need a translation.

I can read Korean so that's not a problem, I was just being a tremendous pedant over the definition of "raw"

That said it's kinda hilarious that Motobe attempted to poison Musashi and failed partly because he chose a poison that Musashi recognized, instead of any number of untraceable poisons discovered or created since Musashi's time

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

AnonSpore posted:

It's just an anime dvd bundled with the limited edition of Bakidou v14

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

You never know, the release of the new Baki movie might be similar to Dragon Ball Super. First, we got the Battle of the Gods movie. Then, later on, they released a new anime series continuing the movie, and of course there was the manga to tie it all together. Why couldn't they do that with Baki Dou, which has a clean starting point? It also wouldn't be difficult to begin an anime series right around the time Son of Ogre begins, and work from there. We can all agree that Baki is not known for its complicated storyline.

At the end of the day, I agree with Pewdiepie, I really hope they decide to do the Prisoner Arc from New Grappler Baki. That chunk of the manga deserves an anime. It's the pure solid gold, the true meat of the series. It's the Filet Mignon of Baki.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Sep 28, 2016

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Kaiou tournament was also p good imho

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

AnonSpore posted:

This.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

AnonSpore posted:

:chanpop:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Itagaki is so loving good at action and paneling

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Just for fun, I made a quick edit of the Baki trailer, because Danny Baranowsky and FamilyJules7x would do an amazing job if they scored Grappler Baki. :frogc00l:

Here's a link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La0rM8Tebcw

Jedah fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Sep 28, 2016

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Pewdiepie posted:

:pray: Please be prisoner synchronicity arc.

Sometimes dreams come true, friend.

quote:

The official website for the 25th anniversary project of Keisuke Itagaki's martial arts-themed manga series Baki today confirmed the newly-produced OAD (original anime disc) will be adapted from the Prisoners Saga (Saikyou Shikeishu-hen/The Deadliest Condemned Criminals arc) in the manga's second installment Baki (1995-2005), not from the ongoing fourth installment Baki-Dou (2014-).

The saga was told in the beginning of the second installment, featuring five condemned criminals who escape from the prison and gather in Tokyo to fight against the fighters of the underground martial arts tournament including its champion Baki. The disc also contains a special video message from the author Itagaki and animated footage of the manga's popular scenes.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Fuckin' outstanding.

Arstavial
Aug 16, 2005
That's loving awesome news. Can't wait to see some more animated Baki. I put in my preorder when I picked put the previous volume. Wonder which group will put up subs for it first.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

In celebration of New Grappler Baki's Prisoner arc being adapted into an anime, I made another alternate score for the Baki trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_wLaCh9Sls

Mostly I just wanted you guys to see dat drop with Doppo.

Edit:
And one more bonus video! Progressive metal meets Baki. I'm pretty happy with this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd5HNx525M0

Jedah fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 2, 2016

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I was randomly scrolling and read the OP and this seems insanely sick. Is the original manga still impossible to find?

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

I was randomly scrolling and read the OP and this seems insanely sick. Is the original manga still impossible to find?

Its partially translated online but may I make the recommendation to start with New Grappler Baki or Baki: Son of Ogre? Both are completely translated, and the backstory is pretty easy to figure out. Baki wants to be the strongest so he can beat up his dad, who's extremely strong. Other people are strong too, perhaps even stronger than Baki?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

Pewdiepie posted:

Its partially translated online but may I make the recommendation to start with New Grappler Baki or Baki: Son of Ogre? Both are completely translated, and the backstory is pretty easy to figure out. Baki wants to be the strongest so he can beat up his dad, who's extremely strong. Other people are strong too, perhaps even stronger than Baki?

Like Pewds said the original is still being translated but I started with New Grappler after watching the two anime (who pretty much cover the first manga anyway)

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
I would read original Baki though Doppo v Yujiro

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Hanayama vs Speck is probably the highlight of the series for me. To see it animated would kick rear end

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

On the topic of the original Grappler Baki, Chapter 184 has been translated by Spinyback!

They also translated Chapters 126 and 127 of Baki Dou.

Also, I should mention:

onepenguin0, one of the team members of Spinyback, said that he was in desperate need of a redrawer for their team. They've hit a road block, where they want to put out many more chapters of Grappler Baki, but they're forced to do it at a slow pace because they don't have a dedicated redrawer. In general, goons are pretty skilled with photoshop, so I thought I'd ask if anyone would be willing to help.

If you happen to know anyone who might be interested in being a redrawer for this awesome manga, or if you'd like to help out, please let me know, and I'll give you his contact info. Thanks in advance.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Oct 2, 2016

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Fair warning, Itagaki does an absolute shitton of stroked text (that's text overlaid directly on top of the art, which has to be edited out) and the tones he uses and his art style are not redraw friendly at all. Just figured I should say that because it's not something you should get into without knowing what you're getting into.

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

I think a good amount is translated, but there are quite some gaps. I started with new grappler baki (The second series) since I couldn't find the first in full. They do a good job at calling back to a lot of stuff and recapping. Once Grappler Baki is translated in full I'd definitely would read it, but you can start at new grappler and be fine.

Eventually at somepoint you won't even need translated chapters. This series is great in that it gets to a point where the author lays out action in a way that's fairly easy to understand through drawings alone.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

For those interested, Chapter 129 of Baki Dou just came out (Korean scans).

The big question is, did Motobe line his clothes with tactical ketchup packets, or has the troll finally been sliced wide open?

Jedah fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Oct 10, 2016

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010
Regarding his fate I feel like he must continue the trickery. He's shown he's got too much planned to not expect getting sliced across the stomach like Retsu did.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

JDRockefeller posted:

Regarding his fate I feel like he must continue the trickery. He's shown he's got too much planned to not expect getting sliced across the stomach like Retsu did.

Going with that theory, do you think it's possible Motobe has buried his weapons throughout the arena in advance? I know Motobe's emphasis is on traditional old school warfare, but he also claims to be obsessed with the art of war, and no rules combat.

If that's the case, why wouldn't Motobe have grenades, assault rifles, or various traps buried in the sand? Are we to believe that using a bunch of smoke bombs is fair game, but a frag grenade is not, just because it isn't historically accurate? And why wouldn't he use a flashbang, since Musashi has exceptional eyesight and perception? That would be an excellent way to level the playing field.

If Motobe is the real deal, he'll use modern weapons. He already uses modern aramid body armor, so why stop there? He should use anything it takes to win. Otherwise, it's gonna be a repeat of Retsu vs. Musashi all over again.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 10, 2016

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
do the hcpaters spinyback apparently skipped matter much?

why did they skip them ffs

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Spiny back was 20 chapters behind so a different group released the most recent chapters and now we're here.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Everything skipped was musashi fighting pickle so plot wise you're not missing anything.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i read on and yeah it was clear i missed nothing, i hope motobe gets murdered though

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Jose posted:

i hope motobe gets murdered though

For some reason I wanna see Motobe use an AK-47 against Musashi before he gets murdered. Don't you wanna see Musashi dodge bullets and cut the gun in half?

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

He'll stand unblinking and be shot by 500 bullets and then complain how much it hurt and complement the gun on how great it is as a weapon before effortlessly and brutally winning.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

he really gets hit a lot

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Jedah posted:

For some reason I wanna see Motobe use an AK-47 against Musashi before he gets murdered. Don't you wanna see Musashi dodge bullets and cut the gun in half?

now i do

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Work Friend Keven posted:

He'll stand unblinking and be shot by 500 bullets and then complain how much it hurt and complement the gun on how great it is as a weapon before effortlessly and brutally winning.

This is exactly what will happen.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Grappler Baki 185 is out! 50+ pages of Baki goodness, and the beginning of the Maximum tournament.

Baki Dou 106 is out, too!

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

this manga needs more olympic arm wrestlers

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

The essence of Baki.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

author looked at all the other audience stand-ins in manga and went: "let's make him an incredibly powerful old man who loves brutal fights"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Baki Dou 130 is out! (Korean scans)

People who don't like Motobe will enjoy this chapter.