Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
The main cast animation is great, sure, but many incidental NPCs and quest givers have the usual bland fantasy rubberman look. Great also sometimes seems to be randomly moving his face about as if he'd double dropped.

Edit: mods, please rename me to Bland Fantasy Rubberman, tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I have a really horrible OCD tick on this game. I refuse to sell any slightly rare or above weapons / armour. I just stick it in my stash and never sell it or get rid of it. I'm only level 17, is armour / weapons at this stage that important, or can I just sell it all for a nice cash boost? I think it all started when I got rid of my griffin armour and then realised a few levels later I should have kept it for upgrades.

I'm also hoarding a lot of those glyphs (the quen, igni, +10 armour piercing etc) in my inventory, waiting for the day when I learn to make them into greater glyphs. Is that worth it or should I sell those too?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

sell it all you maniac, except for upgradable witcher gear

if it ain't green you shouldn't be keen

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Slashrat posted:

Regarding A'vallach...

Okay, yea, that's pretty darn squicky- screw that guy.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Loopoo posted:

I have a really horrible OCD tick on this game. I refuse to sell any slightly rare or above weapons / armour. I just stick it in my stash and never sell it or get rid of it. I'm only level 17, is armour / weapons at this stage that important, or can I just sell it all for a nice cash boost? I think it all started when I got rid of my griffin armour and then realised a few levels later I should have kept it for upgrades.

Until expansions sell everything that doesn't have green background. Expansions have several unusual swords and armor sets worth to keep around as wall decoration.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

insider posted:

Oh gently caress. My wife just finished the game and I asked her what ending she got. She seemed confused so I asked her what happened to Ciri and she just said "What? She's gone I guess? I thought at the end the end there would be something about Yennefer too..." Then I realized she got the bad ending and don't know how to tell her without pissing her off :doh:.
To be fair when you get the bad ending the epilogue cards state that nobody knows what happened to Ciri. Of course Geralt's reaction is telling but he doesn't know for sure either because she really just vanishes.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Black Lodge Palpek posted:

To be fair when you get the bad ending the epilogue cards state that nobody knows what happened to Ciri. Of course Geralt's reaction is telling but he doesn't know for sure either because she really just vanishes.
To be double fair, the Whateveress comes out and tells you "she is dead, dead, dead".

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

She says a lot of bad things to throw Geralt off balance though. Considering how even O'Dimm doesn't know where Ciri is because she's "hidden from his gaze", what can a random witch know about her fate on a different world?

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
It's kind of weird that the entire point of the choices that determine the ending is to 1) let Ciri know you, as the closest thing she has to a parent, trust her to make her trust herself, and 2) not let depression eat her up, but the final choice of what you say to her before she enters the portal/whatever doesn't have any impact.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Quest review: Shock therapy.

+ amazing laughing about it/gameplay time ratio
- couldn't provide literal shock with alt-yrden
- no donning a scary mask and jumping out from behind a tree

4/5

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

Fun Shoe
I was sort of disliking the endgame of Blood and Wine, but I just got to one very special quest and oh my god I love it :allears:

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Loopoo posted:

I'm also hoarding a lot of those glyphs (the quen, igni, +10 armour piercing etc) in my inventory, waiting for the day when I learn to make them into greater glyphs. Is that worth it or should I sell those too?

Sell the weapons, but keep the glyphs and runes. One of the expansions.. Well, expands on the Glyph system and it helps to have a stock of them. Granted they're not super uncommon, but it's better than making more/buying them.

Also, keep the duplicate monster mutagens. You'll thank yourself about partway through the other expansion.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Joda posted:

It's kind of weird that the entire point of the choices that determine the ending is to 1) let Ciri know you, as the closest thing she has to a parent, trust her to make her trust herself, and 2) not let depression eat her up, but the final choice of what you say to her before she enters the portal/whatever doesn't have any impact.

yeah, some of the choices that should have an effect don't.

Before the snowball/drink choice, you have an option to tell everyone that Ciri is an adult capable of making her own decisions, or say that she should just listen to Avallach. This doesn't matter at all, even though she's right there.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Sell glyphs and runes you're just not interested in, they're pretty good money. I went in the second expansion never selling them, then I unloaded it all and wound up with another 9k+ crowns.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
Ok update for the thread. I didn't have the balls to tell her but she figured out she got the bad ending so she was able to revert her save and choose enough of the correct options to get the positive ending. Now she is happily onto Hearts of Stone. She agrees she is a bad dad though haha.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Aren't some of the options like 20 + hours from the end? Was she just pushing through the main story and nothing else?

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

Fun Shoe

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

Aren't some of the options like 20 + hours from the end? Was she just pushing through the main story and nothing else?

All of the choices are after The Battle of Kaer Morhen, so you can get through them in less than 4 hours without rushing. Also, going off on side adventures during the end-game feels pretty out of place and I got bored of side missions (+ most of them had grey level indicators by that point,) so I sort of just powered through the endgame from the point you find Ciri to the epilogue. One thing I did regret not doing, though, was murdering the gently caress out of Radovid, since I sort of figured his inquisition bullshit would turn into even more of a holocaust, but I didn't know that particular mission would become unavailable when you go to the Isle of Mist.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

If you make one 'bad' early Ciri choice you can reload a save right before you go into Avallac'h's hideout. There are 2 more choices from that point. That's how I was able to play through every ending pretty fast.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
Halloween costume update - my hands are now made of arthritis and pinpricks.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Shannow posted:

Halloween costume update - my hands are now made of arthritis and pinpricks.

this is badass

imo you should paint the Redanian birdo on the front just for fun

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

hmm. no pants

interesting...

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Some reasons to enjoy Witcher 3, the game.

Roach, the badly behaved magic horse.

Pretty sunsets.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

brakeless posted:

Some reasons to enjoy Witcher 3, the game.

Roach, the badly behaved magic horse.

Pretty sunsets.

Nothing elevates an emotional cutscene quite like a deer wondering into the shot and obscuring most of it with its rear end.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Level 32, on quest Final Preparations. should I go do Heart of Stone or keep going through main storyline? I'd feel a bit odd leaving them hanging...

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

MikeJF posted:

Level 32, on quest Final Preparations. should I go do Heart of Stone or keep going through main storyline? I'd feel a bit odd leaving them hanging...

Just finish the game then do HoS.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

Fun Shoe
In Blood and Wine, Prof. Moreau's lab had had an intruder before Geralt, but nothing seems to come of that in the story or anything. There're just the clues along the path into the lab and then nothing. Did I miss something, or did they really just have those clues there without any sort of conclusion or anything??

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Joda posted:

In Blood and Wine, Prof. Moreau's lab had had an intruder before Geralt, but nothing seems to come of that in the story or anything. There're just the clues along the path into the lab and then nothing. Did I miss something, or did they really just have those clues there without any sort of conclusion or anything??
You can find the thief's body apparently. I missed it too.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

Black Lodge Palpek posted:

If you make one 'bad' early Ciri choice you can reload a save right before you go into Avallac'h's hideout. There are 2 more choices from that point. That's how I was able to play through every ending pretty fast.

That is exactly what she did. She did basically everything else before those quests so it didn't take her long.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

MikeJF posted:

Hearts of Stone is extremely good do it immediately

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

Fun Shoe
I kinda wish the expansions would fit themselves to your level >35 once you initiate them. I did Blood and Wine at the recommended level, which means Hearts of Stone is much easier than it should be.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Joda posted:

I kinda wish the expansions would fit themselves to your level >35 once you initiate them. I did Blood and Wine at the recommended level, which means Hearts of Stone is much easier than it should be.

Isn't there literally an option for level scaling now?

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Isn't there literally an option for level scaling now?

Yep. You kinda want to keep it off most of the time unless you find encountering packs of level 40 wolves all the time fun, but it's handy for making combat in outleveled quests fun again.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The fact that they added the ability to turn level scaling on and off is the sort of QoL decision that reminds me of all the little ways Witcher 3 completely trounces Bethesda games.

Setting aside all the big, obvious ones.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Also higher level enemies in Witcher don't just turn into ridiculous bullet sponges, which is the main problem with Bethesda scaling.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

steinrokkan posted:

Also higher level enemies in Witcher don't just turn into ridiculous bullet sponges, which is the main problem with Bethesda scaling.

Unless 5 levels higher at which point that's exactly what they turn into.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yes, but in this case the bullets are pirouettes.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
Just finished Heart of Stone,

got to say people.. that expansion alone could have been a Triple A game these days. It has some of the best characters I can remember in a video game.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Just finished Heart of Stone,

got to say people.. that expansion alone could have been a Triple A game these days. It has some of the best characters I can remember in a video game.

And blood and wine is better, apparently.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It is! But personally I!d recommend playing it after the main plot and before Hearts, because then it feels a bit like Geralt's Mediterranean vacation between assignments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

sebmojo posted:

And blood and wine is better, apparently.

The region is better. The storyline is really good, but HoS's, I'd say, is better.