Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

AnoHito posted:

Northern Italy leaves the empire bye event fairly quickly, so there's no real reason to join the HRE for that.

I joined the HRE and conquered a couple provinces, then got the Shadow Kingdom event in 1495 and left along with the rest of Italy. So there's no problem joining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
So the warfare tips people gave me earlier have been helpful - I've gone with a system where I have a few full standing armies of something like 12 inf, 2 cav, 8 art, and then a bunch of partial armies that are just the cav and art, which I fill in with mercenary infantry when war happens.

Any economic tips for Russia? The last full game I played was Spain which meant I was essentially rolling in money once I got to the new world - I'm not really in a position to do that as Russia (at least until I colonize my way over through Siberia but I'm a ways short of that still), so I'm not sure what the alternatives are for cashflow.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Coming off Songhai, you might need to develop a province with either a good trade good or some sort of development cost reduction on it. I dumped a bunch of admin into my capital for Feudalism but it did help me stay solvent.

You're also going to need to cut army funding when you're not at war. 50% is usually okay, push it up if you're at war, going to war or if you have rebels about to pop. Once you develop your country a bit with either points or money from wars, you'll be okay. It takes time though.

Oh, and Sweden has this one random province that gives it like +5 to Goods Produced which is real good for money. Look for that.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

50%? Unless I'm actively putting down rebels or going to war in less than 3 months, my army maintenance is at 0%. If I just finished a large war and I need to reinforce I put it to 0% and click the little button once to get a trickle of reinforcements in

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I usually keep it around 25% when I'm out of war in case someone else declares war on me.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

50%? Unless I'm actively putting down rebels or going to war in less than 3 months, my army maintenance is at 0%. If I just finished a large war and I need to reinforce I put it to 0% and click the little button once to get a trickle of reinforcements in

After large wars I keep it intentionally at 0% so that all manpower will stay in the pool and contribute to the "Our manpower reserves need to recover" mission.

It rarely works out (I usually start another war before hitting 90%), but reinforcing is fast enough that it's worth giving it a try and only bringing the slider to full when you need it. Plus decimated regiments cost less upkeep.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Could've sworn that advice was good back in what little EU3 I played. Oh well.

I usually keep it up for that possibility of someone attacking me. But I probably do keep it up when I have truces with everyone important near me. Thinking is effort.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Elman posted:

Second Aztec attempt report: things are going better.

How is institution spread in North America? Can you realistically force yourself to being on time by jacking up development?

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Dorkopotamis posted:

How is institution spread in North America? Can you realistically force yourself to being on time by jacking up development?

You can force institutions in provinces via development but you can't embrace any of them until you reform.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Wafflecopper posted:

Can someone explain to me how France were able to march from Bearn, waltz right through Pirineo straight past my level 6 fort, and into Zaragosa to stack wipe me? Because either forts are completely broken or I just don't understand them at all. Either way it's pretty frustrating and their weird and inconsistent mechanics are easily my least favourite thing about EU4 right now. I'm at tech 22 with 23 still at 130% ahead of time, next fort level is at tech 24 so no way it's obsolete.

The AI is allowed to pathfind in a straight line to any province it has any path to. So you're right, you would've had to go to Navarra to Zaragoza, but since that path exists, the AI is allowed to ignore the fort in Pirnio and move straight there. After testing and watching some LPs, I'm fairly confident this is the case. I don't know if it's a bug or not.

E: You can essentially think of the AI as having a whitelist of provinces. If a province can be reached at all, no matter how convoluted a player in that same situation's route would be, it's in that nation's whitelist, and the AI is allowed to take the shortest path through any provinces on its whitelist, regardless of forts.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Oct 16, 2016

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

Oh, I got confused by the screenshot

The AI gets a special rule: if they have any route to a province by going around a zones of control, then they basically get to ignore the zone of control entirely and can just pass directly into the province. So since they have Navarra, they were able to walk right into Zargosa, even using Pirineo. It's an inconsistency and I don't really know why the AI gets this special rule

Jsor posted:

The AI is allowed to pathfind in a straight line to any province it has any path to. So you're right, you would've had to go to Navarra to Zaragoza, but since that path exists, the AI is allowed to ignore the fort in Pirnio and move straight there. After testing and watching some LPs, I'm fairly confident this is the case. I don't know if it's a bug or not.

Is this documented anywhere? Not saying you're wrong, just that's it rather surprising as a player.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

beer_war posted:

Is this documented anywhere? Not saying you're wrong, just that's it rather surprising as a player.

I don't think it is, but after observation I'm fairly confident that's the case.

See the beginning of this video by Arumba, who uses the console to tag switch and shows that the rules are clearly different for players:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN4dTMZ4a_s

Looking through the comments, somebody made the same inference I did.

E: One thing I don't know is if they can use transport fleets to add to their whitelist. If they park a navy with transports in a sea tile that borders both a fort and some province beyond a fort can they ignore the fort? No idea.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Oct 16, 2016

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Yeah, I posted that same video earlier, which is what made me wonder about the ZoC mechanic.

Then again, a little googling turned up this:

Wiz posted:

AI does not cheat with ZoCs under any circumstances.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ai-bypassing-fort-zone-of-control.901974/#post-20477524

So, uh, which is it?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I'm pretty sure it's a corner case bug of some sort. I just set up a test case with custom nations and the AI had to navigate around the ZOC. It doesn't seem to be a hard and fast thing the AI can just do all the time, however, it definitely does it sometimes. My guess is that it might have something to do with chasing shattered or retreating armies, since that's when it happened most of the times it's happened to me.

E: And for all I know, we can do it to under certain circumstances but we just don't notice.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Oct 16, 2016

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

I only wish that spreading development out was a viable way to get the institution. Since it doesn't tick up you basically have to make some random province a New York City while everything else is 3 development crap.

Well poo poo, I've been going about this all wrong. I thought it was an overall thing so I've been spreading out my development.

I guess it's not a huge loss since I'm playing as Iroquois and I can't embrace any institutions until the Europeans show up anyway.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Anyone figured out protectorates now? It seems like they randomly achieve tech parity I'd guess you call it pretty quickly and break out from under you without any popup/notification. The weird part is that they'll then sit there as a recent breakaway tech-equal nation for a few months and then the protectorate button randomly pops up again. I can't really figure out any rhyme or reason to it.

Anyways it worked super well for seizing all of the territory of Fezzan/Djab/etc. as the Ottomans pre-1500 since once they achieve parity they lose all the malus modifiers from before.

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
I am not happy with the way my war has gone thanks to my "Ally" giving 12k troops to my enemy. Although my ally is not fighting with me I do feel that they shouldn't just had over their troops. I have to restart the game thanks to this.

I want to know if that was WAD or the ally was bugged.

This was in 1446 and I was playing as a custom nation in china.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Is there something wrong with the "pop up and pause when one of my units get attacked" feature? It keeps failing to work for me, I get notified every single time I get attacked by natives yet when an Austrian 50k stack attacks me while I'm microing in the other side of the world, I don't get a popup :psyduck:

(And yeah, I checked, it's enabled in my message settings)

Elman fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 16, 2016

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Supeerme posted:

I am not happy with the way my war has gone thanks to my "Ally" giving 12k troops to my enemy. Although my ally is not fighting with me I do feel that they shouldn't just had over their troops. I have to restart the game thanks to this.

I want to know if that was WAD or the ally was bugged.

This was in 1446 and I was playing as a custom nation in china.

Dunno if it's related in any way but yesterday I had an AI declare war on me and while they had superior numbers, their entire army had been hired as condottieri to a different country so I just took their provinces with zero resistance. Condottieri actions seem a little weird at the moment.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Being constantly warned by the Ottomans loving sucks when I'm playing as Bosnia.

Between Ottomans having a constant warning on me and Hungary guaranteeing Serbia I'm a bit boxed in, despite being allied to Polthunia, Austria and Castille.

I'll have to try and see if I can jump on Venice or something in the one day window I'll have when the warning expires.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

MrBling posted:

Being constantly warned by the Ottomans loving sucks when I'm playing as Bosnia.

Between Ottomans having a constant warning on me and Hungary guaranteeing Serbia I'm a bit boxed in, despite being allied to Polthunia, Austria and Castille.

I'll have to try and see if I can jump on Venice or something in the one day window I'll have when the warning expires.

Taking Serbia is a really key part of Bosnia I've found, otherwise you're too small and poor to keep up. The commonwealth might be keen on a war with Hungary? You'd need to make sure the Ottomans are busy though

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

So the warfare tips people gave me earlier have been helpful - I've gone with a system where I have a few full standing armies of something like 12 inf, 2 cav, 8 art, and then a bunch of partial armies that are just the cav and art, which I fill in with mercenary infantry when war happens.

Any economic tips for Russia? The last full game I played was Spain which meant I was essentially rolling in money once I got to the new world - I'm not really in a position to do that as Russia (at least until I colonize my way over through Siberia but I'm a ways short of that still), so I'm not sure what the alternatives are for cashflow.

Money is the only actual constraint in a Muscovy game. The short answer is get colonizing, conquer towards Astrakhan and Samarkand, jump on Lithuania if they and Poland ever get tied up in something. Spam workshops and temples for all you're worth.

A more peculiar suggestion is to set a merchant to collect in Kazan. It's counterintuitive to be collecting early like that, but it's quite probable it will increase your trade income.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

pointsofdata posted:

Taking Serbia is a really key part of Bosnia I've found, otherwise you're too small and poor to keep up. The commonwealth might be keen on a war with Hungary? You'd need to make sure the Ottomans are busy though

That last bit is the key part, they haven't really been all that active in big wars. They've gotten their "Conquer the Levant" mission now so that might distract them.
The other problem with attacking Hungary is them being allied to Austria and France. I think I'll wait out the remaining seven years of the warning and then jump on Hungary. Just have to hope Poland doesn't decide to get into a war at the same time.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

MrBling posted:

That last bit is the key part, they haven't really been all that active in big wars. They've gotten their "Conquer the Levant" mission now so that might distract them.
The other problem with attacking Hungary is them being allied to Austria and France. I think I'll wait out the remaining seven years of the warning and then jump on Hungary. Just have to hope Poland doesn't decide to get into a war at the same time.

That's a pretty big problem. Good luck!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

A German minor paid me 150 Popebux to rent out the Papal army when they had all but won their war against some other German minor. I just left my army in Rome. 3 months later the war was won and they cancelled the contract. Okay then.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Elman posted:

Is there something wrong with the "pop up and pause when one of my units get attacked" feature? It keeps failing to work for me, I get notified every single time I get attacked by natives yet when an Austrian 50k stack attacks me while I'm microing in the other side of the world, I don't get a popup :psyduck:

(And yeah, I checked, it's enabled in my message settings)

I noticed that it only pops up if the enemy is attacking you. If you set some troops to march somewhere and they run into an enemy stack it doesn't say anything. Other than that it's been working fine for me.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I can't figure out imgur anymore, where's the thumbnail option gone?

Anyway, while it looks a bit odd, I do appreciate the old way that Skaane and Holsteen's written now, when they're owned by the Danish.

Even though DDRJake sounded like it was an error in one of his streams.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

THE BAR posted:

I can't figure out imgur anymore, where's the thumbnail option gone?

Anyway, while it looks a bit odd, I do appreciate the old way that Skaane and Holsteen's written now, when they're owned by the Danish.

Even though DDRJake sounded like it was an error in one of his streams.

just get the img url and put it in [timg][/timg]

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Tsyni posted:

just get the img url and put it in [timg][/timg]

Whoops. Yeah, thanks!

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Oct 17, 2016

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Elman posted:

Second Aztec attempt report: things are going better.

I'm so used to blobbing it's hard to stop myself and realize when I shouldn't. Colonizing slowly, keeping my advisors at +3 constantly and not starting stupid wars for Brazil helped a lot. Slow and steady wins the race.

I also managed to snipe Lisboa without occupying any Spanish mainland provinces. I think it was cause Portugal was Spain's PU partner. I couldn't take land from Spain but I could take Portuguese provinces no problem, forts be damned. Is that a bug?

Here's my Inca game from the same year for comparison.

Falling behind a bit, need to save up the $ to embrace Manufactories

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

So apparently there is a cap of +10 to institutes when you develop a province. Time to start using another one I guess. :v:

Playing as Korea now and so far I've spent money to embrace every single one as the spread is so slow it's waaaaay faster to buy it even with my atrociously poor income.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
It would be nice if there were a few more ways to get institutions, though I like that it makes paying attention to development something you actually do. Maybe something like "court foreign scholars" where you target a country you have positive opinion with that has embraced the institution, and pay a large number of ducats/mth (or even something like diplo/month). Maybe have other modifiers while doing it like +national unrest because you're spreading those dirty furriner ideas.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
The printing press had a few events while you were embracing about its negative effects, it'd be nice if there were more things like that for each of them.

e: actually I bet there are events like that for each of them, I just didn't end up seeing any. So... more events for each of them, I guess.

e2: unrelatedly, gamebreaking bug:

when your ruler passes 1000 years old, the interface doesn't accommodate it. Please fix this Paradox. :geno:

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Wait, can rulers get the immortal trait naturally, or is this some weird CK2 importer shenanigans (though I don't understand how that works with a Korean dynasty if so).

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Oh nah I just made a mod

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Jsor posted:

Wait, can rulers get the immortal trait naturally, or is this some weird CK2 importer shenanigans (though I don't understand how that works with a Korean dynasty if so).

Custom nations can choose immortal as a trait, but yes, it also ports over from CK2.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I've held out for long enough. I must have the expansion.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
What are some good mods for this game? I havn't played in forever.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Koramei posted:

The printing press had a few events while you were embracing about its negative effects, it'd be nice if there were more things like that for each of them.

e: actually I bet there are events like that for each of them, I just didn't end up seeing any. So... more events for each of them, I guess.

It'd be nice to have more institution-related content in general, yeah. I don't like how the main way to deal with institutions is developing your provinces, but that's a DLC-only feature.

Yeah, it's from Common Sense and it's a good idea to buy that one anyway, but it still feels off. On that note, now that there's no tech groups you also don't get western countries' maps when you "westernize", which means in my Aztec run most of Europe and Asia are still covered in fog even though it's 1715. I had to bring a Conquistador to walk around France, and the only way around that appears to be map stealing, from the Mare Nostrum dlc :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Elman posted:

It'd be nice to have more institution-related content in general, yeah. I don't like how the main way to deal with institutions is developing your provinces, but that's a DLC-only feature.

Yeah, it's from Common Sense and it's a good idea to buy that one anyway, but it still feels off. On that note, now that there's no tech groups you also don't get western countries' maps when you "westernize", which means in my Aztec run most of Europe and Asia are still covered in fog even though it's 1715. I had to bring a Conquistador to walk around France, and the only way around that appears to be map stealing, from the Mare Nostrum dlc :geno:

Yeah, the game has a bit of a problem in that they design features from new DLCs with solutions offered by previous DLCs. I think it makes for a more interesting game, but undermines the DLC model a bit. The only real saving grave is that the old DLCs go on sale for really cheap every time a new one comes out.

• Locked thread