Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'm a big supporter of dressing however the you want regardless of size/shape, just make sure the clothing actually looks good on you and fits

e:

Like I think that's fine, could do with some touch-ups here and there but she pulls that off much better than the MLP cosplay

FirstAidKite has a new favorite as of 22:34 on Oct 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm a big supporter of dressing however the you want regardless of size/shape, just make sure the clothing actually looks good on you and fits

This is what comes down to, yeah. A lovely costume is always going to be lovely; something that'll just be highlighted if it doesn't fit at all well.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

And a cosplay.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FirstAidKite posted:

Sure, do what you want, but unless you're going for comedy option, it should fit your body type if you want it to be a "good" cosplay.

A skinny scrawny person playing E.Honda or Ursula or Maui would look silly just as much as a really fat person playing Dhalsim or Ariel or Moana.

I grant that it sucks for larger people that they have fewer options for good cosplay, but plus-size cosplay options is pretty low on my list of life's injustices.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Phimosissy posted:

I grant that it sucks for larger people that they have fewer options for good cosplay, but plus-size cosplay options is pretty low on my list of life's injustices.

Especially considering that if McPantserson is willing to spend a year and a day building a robot suit, they should be willing to spend a year and a day not eating sugar

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!
Breaking news: Goons judging strangers' bodies and policing their clothing, more at eleven

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

It is possible to find both idiotic and unfunny, hope this helps.

so do you just not like reading the Idiots on Social Media thread because he is literally just posting the same kind of content that normally gets posted in there, but without a quote tag

https://twitter.com/danielricciardo/status/785719987256356864

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Phimosissy posted:

Sure, do what you want, but unless you're going for comedy option, it should fit your body type if you want it to be a "good" cosplay.

A skinny scrawny person playing E.Honda or Ursula or Maui would look silly just as much as a really fat person playing Dhalsim or Ariel or Moana.

What should I go as for halloween as a short, skinny-fat, bald man this year?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

BgRdMchne posted:

Ken Bone, butthole inspector.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

BgRdMchne posted:

Moby

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

I could pull that off. Would I be recognizable enough?

way too skinny for the bone zone, and my mustache is a little too short right now. Shaved head and trimmed beard.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Holy moly that's good.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Patattack posted:

Breaking news: Goons judging strangers' bodies and policing their clothing, more at eleven

I think you're projecting a little bit there, buddy. People designing and wearing costumes designed for their body type is not the same as laughing at someone for being fat/skinny/runty/roided up, etc. You don't plonk someone who's 5'2 and 60lbs into a store bought Batman costume and not expect it to look goofy.

Alaois posted:

so do you just not like reading the Idiots on Social Media thread because he is literally just posting the same kind of content that normally gets posted in there, but without a quote tag

People hail him as a comedic genius then flip their poo poo when anyone else does it. Hope this helps.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

People hail him as a comedic genius then flip their poo poo when anyone else does it. Hope this helps.

still mad he quoted your reddit post, got it

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Alaois posted:

still mad he quoted your reddit post, got it

I know you're angry, but you have to focus on something else with your time in PYF.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
OH poo poo! More pics i found on the internet. Would it be more or less creepy if i took them all myself?

AT&T Girl cosplay, very nice.

Dicks out for Harambe cosplay

I don't watch anime, but i've seen a lot of blonde girl anime avatars doing this.

Andre the Giant cosplay.

steampunk harley quinn i think

Rick and Morty cosplay from episode 3 i think

Sexy Battle Star Galatica cosplay

niki minj cosplay and a great one too.

If Ron Weasly was into anime and not magic

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

VendaGoat posted:

Ken Bone, butthole inspector.

http://www.yandy.com/Sexy-Undecided-Voter-Costume.php

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Patattack posted:

I mean, sure, but if you are at all referring to me, I don't much care about people's bodies or clothing but was merely discussing whether their cosplay was "good" or not. It's an art. People are not immune to criticism of their art because of a cultural bugaboo about their body size or whatever.

If a midget wanted to high jump or a 400lb woman wanted to be a trapeze aerialist or a three-fingered man wanted to play concert piano, well, it would be fair to judge their craft as bad (if it was) and fair to point out why without making a judgement about them as a person.

BgRdMchne posted:

Dungeon Master

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

BgRdMchne posted:

That guy from the Princess Bride that says inconceivable all the time.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Please either tell me that that's CGI or just close the thread because nothing will ever top that.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

gross

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

rodbeard posted:

Please either tell me that that's CGI or just close the thread because nothing will ever top that.

Precision German Engineering :science:.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Phimosissy posted:

Alternatively, dress as whatever character you want regardless of whether you're the 'appropriate' weight or height or ethnicity or age or (dis)ability or gender or species and have fun with it and ignore the Cosplay Authenticity Police

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 08:15 on Oct 16, 2016

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Alternatively, dress as whatever character you want regardless of whether you're the 'appropriate' weight or height or ethnicity or age or (dis)ability or gender or species and have fun with it and ignore the Cosplay Authenticity Police

The point isn't that costumes are haram or halaal depending on your body type. The point is that if you want your costume to look good, pick a character with vaguely the same body shape as you, otherwise it's not going to look right. If you don't care that it doesn't look right then that's your prerogative and go you.

e: and bearing in mind that "not look right" ranges from "that's innacurate" to "you look like a doofus". But if you know you look like a doofus and are cool with it then sure, why not?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Can't believe you didn't add lady beard or whatever the name of the buff bearded dude who did the Finn cosplay was.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

RareAcumen posted:

Can't believe you didn't add lady beard or whatever the name of the buff bearded dude who did the Finn cosplay was.

Buff adult bearded Finn is canon. :ssh:

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Snatch Duster posted:

Andre the Giant cosplay.

I admit that I laughed at this one

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I don't care why Snatch Duster is mad, his posts are legitimately entertaining and more often than not contain actual cosplay photos. Please, let him do his thing once in a while.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://vt.tumblr.com/tumblr_ns2rch3ORi1rpk4qh.mp4#_=_

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Those larger women and crossplay dudes all had well made and fitted clothing. Looked great.

The pony? Not so much.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

No poo poo you goober. You write as though you feel like someone is disagreeing with you but no one is.

Those pictures you posted were cool (although mostly intentionally subverting the look of the character in question which is a different thing than what we've been discussing and you should be smart enough to see the difference). But yes, have fun, knock yourself out, only an rear end in a top hat will judge you because you are overweight or whatever. I don't think a single person in the thread other than the strawman in your head is arguing in favor of a Cosplay Authenticity Police.

The point was merely that the cosplay itself, qua cosplay, if you will, will be better if the person doing it is closest to the height/weight/etc of the character they are portraying. More impressive to others, whatever.

Be a fat skeleton. No one cares.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

RareAcumen posted:

https://future-finn.tumblr.com/

This lady from Snowglobe's post is a good example of how playing against type can work if you just make your costume fit properly. She's clearly not the same kind of body type as Scarlett Johansson's Black Widow that she's costumed as, but she's rocking her costume because it actually fits her.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Phimosissy posted:

The point was merely that the cosplay itself, qua cosplay, if you will, will be better if the person doing it is closest to the height/weight/etc of the character they are portraying. More impressive to others, whatever.

Yeah I don't agree with that.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Yeah I don't agree with that.

Dana Carvey still getting all the chicks, I see.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

How enormous is that dog?

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

That looks like an Irish Wolfhound. They get pretty big

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Flakey posted:

How enormous is that dog?

It looks like an Irish Wolfhound, so very.

efb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

That costume could've saved Christopher Reeve's career.

• Locked thread