Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

LLCoolJD posted:

That can't be a true story. This reads like something written purely for internet theater purposes.

Nobody cares if you think a story is true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Zo posted:

Nobody cares if you think a story is true.

You cared enough to post.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot. posted:

I personally know Full Sail graduates that left the gaming industry for better programming jobs without any issues. Maybe it depends on your actual skills as a programmer?

Yeah that's why I specified "without any other experience," it's certainly possible to transfer if you can show that you know how to code well enough and you have experience but you're basically paying $xx thousand for the college degree that functionally will do the same thing for your job prospects as a CS degree except with the added stigma of "this guy can only program video games because they got a degree in video games" and much less experience coding things that are not videogames

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
How much money can I expect to get from my new Job as a Game Dev? [UK]

quote:

I've never had an actual job before, but after coming out of University I got a job as a 3D artist for quite a big company who are moving into the world of Indie Games. I understand and really appreciate just how lucky I am right now.

For now they have put me on a 1 month trial, they pay me £10 per day for expenses. I am becoming a part of the team and beginning to interact the staff as if they were close friends, and feel I am a very important part of the projects we are working on, so I am sort of expecting them to keep me on.

If they DO keep me on, how much should I expect to be payed by the hour? I'm hoping it's not minimum wage, as I did have to do very well in Uni to achieve this position. I know the experience is so precious for someone like me as well, so even if they didn't keep me on, I would appreciate the skills I have learned over the month, but I would still like to know if at the end of all this, I would still only be earning minimum wage.

What do you guys think?

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."

ate all the Oreos posted:

Yeah that's why I specified "without any other experience," it's certainly possible to transfer if you can show that you know how to code well enough and you have experience but you're basically paying $xx thousand for the college degree that functionally will do the same thing for your job prospects as a CS degree except with the added stigma of "this guy can only program video games because they got a degree in video games" and much less experience coding things that are not videogames

Sorry, I misunderstood that to mean no programming experience outside of games, rather than any coding experience at all. Makes more sense now.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot. posted:

Sorry, I misunderstood that to mean no programming experience outside of games, rather than any coding experience at all. Makes more sense now.

Well I meant no coding experience professionally but yeah I think we're basically on the same level now :shobon:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Is it even legal to pay someone £10 per day :wtc:

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

ate all the Oreos posted:

Is it even legal to pay someone £10 per day :wtc:

He's likely being classified as an unpaid intern. This is only legal in a very narrow range of circumstances which almost certainly don't apply here.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

I know this is from a bit back, but if I was a multi-millionaire this is the first thing I would buy. Or, at least, something like it.

I challenge you to name one thing in life that feels better than a brand new pair of boxer briefs.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Renegret posted:

I know this is from a bit back, but if I was a multi-millionaire this is the first thing I would buy. Or, at least, something like it.

I challenge you to name one thing in life that feels better than a brand new pair of boxer briefs.

The touch of a woman.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

monster on a stick posted:

How much money can I expect to get from my new Job as a Game Dev? [UK]
I've never had an actual job before, but after coming out of University I got a job as a 3D artist for quite a big company who are moving into the world of Indie Games. I understand and really appreciate just how lucky I am right now.
wat.

How do you get a job that pays $10?!!?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Breetai posted:

The touch of a woman.

beep boop beep boop wives are expensive

you breeders are bad with money :smug:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Renegret posted:

beep boop beep boop wives are expensive

you breeders are bad with money :smug:

Wives should be providing the income. Being a kept man is my goal in life.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Wives should be providing the income. Being a kept man is my goal in life.

I turned that scenario down. BWM.

Good with integrity though.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Renegret posted:

Going to bed after a shower/bath when you've just changed the sheets is pretty awesome.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Post already deleted. What happened?

Also:

quote:

quite a big company

quote:

moving into the world of Indie Games
Hahaha

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Suspicious Lump posted:

There are companies in sought after industries that can charge for internships, so getting paid at all is probably seen as quite a good deal for some of these people...

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Renegret posted:

The sweet liberating embrace of death. That and I prefer briefs.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Everyone knows that a blowjob is better than new briefs.

Shifting from good with pleasure to BWM it turns out that if you live next door to a lottery winner you're more likely to go bankrupt.
http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/pers...k&ICID=ref_fark

quote:

The 2016 paper, "Does Inequality Cause Financial Distress? Evidence from Lottery Winners and Neighboring Bankruptcies," found that the neighbors of winners bought cars, motorcycles, even houses. Worse, the higher the lottery prize, the higher the value of flashy assets purchased by neighbors who in some cases then had to file for bankruptcy themselves.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Moneyball posted:

I turned that scenario down. BWM.

Good with integrity though.

You can't just say something like that without expecting people to follow up asking for some juicy details.

Thats me. I'm asking for deets.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Vox Nihili posted:

You can't just say something like that without expecting people to follow up asking for some juicy details.

Buffett in the money, Manson as a honey.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Devian666 posted:

Everyone knows that a blowjob is better than new briefs.

Shifting from good with pleasure to BWM it turns out that if you live next door to a lottery winner you're more likely to go bankrupt.
http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/pers...k&ICID=ref_fark

How does this work? If my jerkass neighbor hits the numbers, I'm gonna buy a new house to make him jealous?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BigDave posted:

How does this work? If my jerkass neighbor hits the numbers, I'm gonna buy a new house to make him jealous?

No you buy yourself nice things to prove that you're just as good as they are to yourself because society teaches people to think of themselves that way.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

BigDave posted:

When you think success is measured by conspicuous consumption, yes, some people are willing to engage in money burning contests.

e;f,b

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Suspicious Lump posted:

wat.

Most indie games pay their developers in promises, so 10 quid a day isn't bad. Not really a "job" though.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Guest2553 posted:

When you think success is measured by conspicuous consumption, yes, some people are willing to engage in money burning contests.

Keeping up with the Jones is the worst, especially when they're suddenly rich and burning money. Everyone needs 5 cars, 2 boats and a horse when the rich neighbour has those.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

BigDave posted:

I would guess most lottery winners move into rich suburbs. If you're a lawyer or doctor and suddenly someone in your neighborhood is driving around in a Rolls you are gonna feel like you gotta up your game.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Lol i looked at that study and the results are basically within noise levels.

This is once again relevant:

The Trouble With 'Scientific' Research Today: A Lot That's Published Is Junk
http://www.forbes.com/sites/henrymiller/2014/01/08/the-trouble-with-scientific-research-today-a-lot-thats-published-is-junk/

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Zo posted:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/henrymiller/2014/01/08/the-trouble-with-scientific-research-today-a-lot-thats-published-is-junk/

Yeah but modern lovely research practices also gave us the word Phacking so i'd say the erosion of the public's confidence in scientific rigor is totally worth it

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Zo posted:

Makes me think of this site.

http://tylervigen.com/page?page=1

Total arcade revenues vs computer science doctorates awarded r = 0.985

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Renegret posted:

Flannel sheets when it is cold outside.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

CitizenKain posted:

Flannel sheets when it is cold outside.

Vicodin

e: I'm changing my answer, midazolam. Benzos are waaay better than narcotics.

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Oct 17, 2016

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

A pair of boxer briefs fresh from the dryer.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

NancyPants posted:

Vicodin

e: I'm changing my answer, midazolam. Benzos are waaay better than narcotics.

So, how many posts did you make in the Joose thread? Any good BWM stories to share?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Byzantine posted:

A pair of boxer briefs fresh from the dryer.

w....woah

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Vox Nihili posted:

Any way I think to explain it just sounds douchey, so I'll just get it over with.

She was a sheltered foreign girl with a free ride to a highly ranked university and a mindset of "do I want to be a doctor or lawyer?" Talked of having me meet her family, etc, and as long as I was devoted to her, she would make enough for both of us. Realistically though, I can't see how that would have lasted. :v:

I was too young to handle being with one person for the rest of my life, so that didn't work out.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So, basically, you didn't have anything even remotely like a free ride to becoming a kept husband. I was hoping it would have been some sort of heiress whose father would have refused to let her or the man she marries work for a living.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

So, basically, you didn't have anything even remotely like a free ride to becoming a kept husband. I was hoping it would have been some sort of heiress whose father would have refused to let her or the man she marries work for a living.

I know a guy who almost became a houseboy for an upper-middle-class philosophy professor does that count?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I was a stay at home dad for 6 months. it sucks. maybe the key to being a kept husband is no kids and maids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Renegret posted:

w....woah

Have you never felt this? It's like being embraced by a toasty warm crotch angel.

• Locked thread