Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

RuanGacho posted:

So all our disaster response was revved up and ready to get down to business and ultimately it seemed to rain less than Thursday and Friday.

Was anyone significantly impacted by the storm or have we done a good job of defunding emergency response again?
There's apparently a bunch of people without power in the Portland area

https://twitter.com/sanitybit/status/787429449897684992

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
One of our weather news people here spent most of the week screaming about how hosed we were, then it amounted to jack poo poo and he had a meltdown on facebook when people called him on it. That's about the extent of the storm damage here.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Better an overblown threat than an unforeseen disaster, I suppose.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
Lights flickered a bit in Seattle.

I think we lost a phase in my complex for like 10 min .

Also the storm stayed out to sea for the most part. Weather models did show it slamming into us for the last week.

Everyone battened down the hatches. World didn't end.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

I'm obviously glad it's minimal damage and human hardship I just get a little concerned when long term it could affect response funding. They were saying it was going to be "like 2006" and he'll if I can remember that being significant.

Do we have any ideas why the models said Kaiju crash and turned out to be spitting rain? Extra man hours were burned to prepare for this event.

(Funny to me that they ran out of API calls because that means cells are still working smoothly even if the lights are out)

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"
My work lost power Friday morning (the minute I pulled into the parking garage because I was afraid of not getting anything done if I tried to work from home and the power went out, which it didn't :rolleyes: ), but that seemed to be it in the Kirkland/Bothell area. All the predictions of 50 MPH winds here last night turned out to be nothing but a gentle breeze.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I'm glad people were prepared. It could have easily been significantly worse. PNW weather. Price we pay for awesome summers and amazing grey winters.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

RuanGacho posted:

So all our disaster response was revved up and ready to get down to business and ultimately it seemed to rain less than Thursday and Friday.

Was anyone significantly impacted by the storm or have we done a good job of defunding emergency response again?

A little kid in west Seattle had a loving tree fall on him and his outlook last I heard was "hopeful" or something.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

RuanGacho posted:

I'm obviously glad it's minimal damage and human hardship I just get a little concerned when long term it could affect response funding. They were saying it was going to be "like 2006" and he'll if I can remember that being significant.

Do we have any ideas why the models said Kaiju crash and turned out to be spitting rain? Extra man hours were burned to prepare for this event.

Yes. The track of the storm ended up 30 km west of where it was predicted, so the worst bit didn't hit the mainland where expected. The storm itself was slightly less severe than predicted as well. Together that meant that places that had been predicted to be hardest hit got nothing remarkable, because they ended up just being nicked by the edge of the storm.

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/articles/strong-october-storms-ahead-for-bc-south-coast/72975/

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Wasn't 2006 the year we had 30+ days of straight rain followed by a huge windstorm? Trees, poles, and fences just fell over in the wet soil as I recall.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Wasn't 2006 the year we had 30+ days of straight rain followed by a huge windstorm? Trees, poles, and fences just fell over in the wet soil as I recall.

Yep, hanukkah eve wind storm. I remember it and it sucked--the _entire_ east side (like all of Redmond, Kirkland, Bellevue, Woodinville, etc.) lost power for a couple days. It was surreal driving across 520 from Seattle (the only area that had power was Greenlake from what I remember) to eastside and just seeing inky blackness, no lights at all. The air was choking with smoke from everyone burning wood in fireplaces. Was like we were back in the 1800's. My power took 5 days to be turned back on, it sucked big time. That's why I'm ok with over-preparation and then no storm to show for it. Would rather be prepared than caught off guard again.

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 16, 2016

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Thanks for the answers all, I appreciate it.

Now I kind of remember the 2006 outage in that context but I guess I didn't really care at the time because work was closed and we spent the whole time sitting around sleeping in the dark at home.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

RuanGacho posted:

Thanks for the answers all, I appreciate it.

Now I kind of remember the 2006 outage in that context but I guess I didn't really care at the time because work was closed and we spent the whole time sitting around sleeping in the dark at home.

The good old days.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

woke wedding drone posted:

That sounds like a great way to end up with pissed-off tribal insurgents wearing bear pelts a few years later.

Skyrim belongs to the nords!

Senor P. posted:

Keep them on the West side, you guys created the problem.

I want to keep my town homeless free, TIA.

A better ethical question would be, if housing is guranteed, should the homeless be forced to work for minimum wage?

A paycheck should be guaranteed so they don't have to work.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Mr. Lobe posted:

Better an overblown threat than an unforeseen disaster, I suppose.

Are we talking about the homeless still or something else? I'm currently on the east coast.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

RuanGacho posted:

It messed with vessels and the ports quite a bit, more in Portland than Seattle or Tacoma. What happened was the two low pressure areas ended up hitting further apart time wise than expected, so two smaller storms instead of two becoming one bigger one.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 17, 2016

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

LingcodKilla posted:

Are we talking about the homeless still or something else? I'm currently on the east coast.

Storm warnings.

There's a lot of festering assholes in this thread when it comes to the homeless, though.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)
The "they'll spend it on drugs" gets me, because odds are I'm spending it on drugs and Steam games I'll never actually play.

Plus, considering sales taxes and vice taxes, spending it on booze is probably a higher percentage of their income lost to taxes than Amazon.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Freakazoid_ posted:

A paycheck should be guaranteed so they don't have to work.

Hell yeah guaranteed minimum income buddy.

Also lemme know if anybody wants to argue more about folks living on the street because I can argue about that real good.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Lazy_Liberal posted:

Hell yeah guaranteed minimum income buddy.

Also lemme know if anybody wants to argue more about folks living on the street because I can argue about that real good.
I, for one, believe that people shouldn't have to live on the street. Let's see you argue against that, pal.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Can we just do something like orthodox jews in new york and hang wire around lamp posts so that the street is technically a room and thus all homeless people are now housed?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Baronjutter posted:

Can we just do something like orthodox jews in new york and hang wire around lamp posts so that the street is technically a room and thus all homeless people are now housed?
There are two of those in Portland and lmao at the thought of shipping the homeless to the SW hills

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

anthonypants posted:

There are two of those in Portland and lmao at the thought of shipping the homeless to the SW hills

they actually did exactly that recently, the old US army reserve facility off Multnomah Blvd. (within the larger eruv) was used as a homeless shelter from Thanksgiving 2015 through the end of May 2016

(it was only used for 6 months because that place is ostensibly supposed to be the city's west-side emergency operations facility)

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
They should just let people camp in the Portland Meadows race track, there are even shelters there that are slowly dying with no use. It even has a Lowe's nearby so that the homeless can use their gambling winnings to maintain their new homes.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

turn it up TURN ME ON posted:

They should just let people camp in the Portland Meadows race track, there are even shelters there that are slowly dying with no use. It even has a Lowe's nearby so that the homeless can use their gambling winnings to maintain their new homes.

A church owns some land north of me that they're trying to get permission to set up as a tent city for the homeless, including utilities.

of course the NIMBY's found out about it and are going absolutely ape.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Doccers posted:

A church owns some land north of me that they're trying to get permission to set up as a tent city for the homeless, including utilities.

You can use the homeless people as workers you pay under the table though! They can do things like painting, landscaping, and picking little Jaydinn from his post-soccer practice reiki treatments!

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Local election candidates bringing the crazy, gotta outshine Trump somehow

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Doccers posted:

Hrm. That actually sounds like a church practicing what they preach.

May have to swing by it.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Javid posted:

East Oregoon?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

A White Guy posted:

East Oregoon?
Since when is Ashland considered East Oregon

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Javid posted:

I'm imagining a group of stereotypical Jews sitting around a map, greedily rubbing their hands, ready to take over the world. Suddenly, a phone rings, and one picks it up. His face falls. He turns to the group.

"We've lost Ashland".

They put a pin into the map, at the site of the strategic point they no longer control. "This could be big" one entones. "This could upend the region all the way to Cave Junction"

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

What's great is that the guy's name is "Biome" so you think you're in for someone with the hippy turned up to 11, as befits Ashland. But no, he goes right into it with phrases like "the Holocaust hoax" and that is literally his entire platform.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Javid posted:

What's great is that the guy's name is "Biome" so you think you're in for someone with the hippy turned up to 11, as befits Ashland. But no, he goes right into it with phrases like "the Holocaust hoax" and that is literally his entire platform.

But what is his stance on wifi?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Happy new school year, everyone:
http://www.king5.com/news/local/parents-claim-franklin-high-school-singled-african-american-kids-out-with-scholar-pledge/337598887

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Doccers posted:

What kind of NIMBY lives near Portland Meadows?

Seems like if you live that close to Delta Park you're already going to have plenty of homeless folks about. When we first moved out to north Portland, we saw a car parked on the side of the road near that Lowe's one Saturday. When we came back by the next day, all the doors, the trunk and the hood were open and 4-5 homeless people were going nuts tearing it apart. It was a fairly new vehicle too.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

I don't get what the principal was thinking here. They sent a form to the parents without "african-american" on it, and 97% of the school is people of color, so why not just send the general form to everyone? :psyduck:

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Time to talk about WA ballot measures:

(skipping King County prop 1 because duh)

Measure 1433 - Seems like an obvious yes, minimum wage increases might be a bad idea at some point but we're a long way from that point in Washington given how regressive our taxes are.

Measure 1463 - I'm inclined to vote yes because public campaign financing is a good idea, but this is a pretty labyrinthine measure and I'm not sure of all the impacts. It also still allows significant private fundraising even if you're getting the public funding, which seems bad. I really like the idea of forcing fundraising groups to disclose top donors all the way down to the individuals or businesses that are actually providing the money. Overall I'll probably vote yes on this one despite it being a bit of a hash of mostly half measures. Also, the statement against opens with "Initiative 1464 uses your tax dollars to tilt the political system in favor of politicians and out of state special interests, while depriving our schools of resources to fully fund education. We shouldn’t put politicians before our kids," and man gently caress you for making education the enemy of everything worth doing.

Measure 1491 - Yes. I'll leave it to the courts to strike it down as unconstitutional.

Measure 1501 - As much as I support SEIU, rigging the public disclosure laws so that outside groups can't talk to your members seems like a bad idea. I'll probably vote no, but I'm waffling.

Measure 732 - I don't really care about revenue neutrality and an actual carbon tax is a much, much stronger step than cap and trade. Additionally, anything that makes our tax structure any less regressive is a good move in my book. I'll be voting yes on this.

Measure 735 - I love feel good legislation that does nothing.

Senate Joint Resolution 8210 - Literally no person on Earth opposes this idea. But can we really trust Big Government to shorten the redistricting period by six weeks in years that end in 1???

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

foobardog posted:

I don't get what the principal was thinking here. They sent a form to the parents without "african-american" on it, and 97% of the school is people of color, so why not just send the general form to everyone? :psyduck:
There was never a "general" form until the public noticed it :ssh:

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

anthonypants posted:

There was never a "general" form until the public noticed it :ssh:

I'm just going to assume this was the principal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYAuR5bkIlQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

foobardog posted: