Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
So over the last few days, I brain farted and forgot how to network.

For loving real.

In reality I was trying to overthink and overcomplicate Router on a Stick and expanding to the concept of not using a router on a stick but using a router interface per vlan. My issue was where the limited lab equipment I had only has a few interfaces on the router, not a lot to work with, and my mind didnt just skip over that and state, use hardware with more ports so each interface its on its own vlan space. Something so drat simple just melted and fizzled away until I restudied for it to refresh my memory.

I had no problems labbing RoaS till the cows came home.

Been studying too hard lately, I think I need a break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Take a breather, bro. You brain will thank you.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Walked posted:

Taking my final test for MCSE tomorrow. Hopefully it's not as bad as I expect; but I think it will be.

Microsoft tests are annoying as hell :ssj:

Hell yes.

Done with MCSE and it feels good

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Congrats, now you get to take it again next year.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

quote:

A.

The new MCSE certifications (MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSE: Mobility, MCSE: Data Management and Analytics, MCSE: Productivity) are aligned to Centers of Excellence, used by the Microsoft Partner Network to identify technical competencies that are widely recognizable by both Microsoft partners and customers. These credentials do not have a recertification requirement. Instead, the achievement date signifies how you keep up with changes to the technology. Every year, you have the opportunity to re-earn the certification by passing an exam from the list of electives, demonstrating your investment in broadening or deepening your skills in a given Center of Excellence. Each time you earn the certification, a new certification entry is added to your transcript. This process replaces the existing recertification requirement of taking a specific recertification exam every three years to prevent your certification from going inactive.

So kinda

Microsoft certification annoys me but what can I do?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Congratulations, that's an awesome achievement

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Holy god am I exhausted. I've passed my 70-410, 70-411. I'm gonna go the 70-409 in place of the 412 for my MCSA.

milk milk lemonade posted:

Awesome, thanks for the advice.

Might need to go with GiP for this, but anyone used the post 9/11 for cert training? How does that even work? Is there a dollar limit, does it affect my months balance differently? I have my bachelors and have about 11 months of benefits left.

Do you have an email or can you get pm's?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I don't know why, but I have the damndest time keeping track of the various layers; either OSI or TCP/IP models. I can't seem to cement in my mind what the layers are and what they mean. I've got subnetting down pat and I'm good with most other networking subjects.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Print them and hang em on your desk and every day look up and down the list. You will get it

Application
Presentation
Session
Transport
Network
Datalink
Physical.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
From bottom to top, Please Do Not Throw Sausage Pizza Away.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Always Poop Sitting (on the) Toilet. Never Double Poop.

Ren and Stimpire
Oct 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
All P#### Seems To Need Double Penetration

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
It's one thing to remember the order, but another to remember what happens at each layer.

Draw a diagram and come up with a visual representation of each transformation. Think of a user clicking a link and how that click turns into physical electronic signals on a wire, and then how the picture that comes back goes from physical electronic signals to a fully formed digital picture the user sees.

I created a map and then equated each step to how a kitchen table might be shipped using fedex (have table, disassemble table, write instructions on how to put it back together, make a shipping label with To and From address and shipping method [3 day, 3 boxes total], Fedex reads the label and decides which warehouses it needs to go through to reach the destination, it's put on the truck to move to the next warehouse in the line, and a guy drives it).

Equating those steps to my map of how data goes from digital to physical on a network helped me memorize the steps, because before then I had a lot of confusion in the session / transport / network layers and how they were differentiated.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Reformatting

Application-Data
Presentation-Data
Session-Data
Transport-Segments
Network-Packets
Datalink-Frames
Physical-Bits

I always say BFPSD going from Bottom up to remember what goes where.

The bottom 3 are going to be most of your primary concern.

MrBigglesworth fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Oct 8, 2016

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Thanks for all the mnemonics

This is what I really need to do; it's keeping straight what each layer is supposed to mean and what happens that's causing me trouble.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
The OSI layers definitely are useful to keep in mind. The other day, I spent about an hour remotely diagnosing why a multifunction printer wasn't forwarding faxes to email. After muddling through SMTP settings and going over Exchange with a fine-toothed comb, turns out they had unplugged the phone line to update the firmware on the postage machine and forgot to plug the fax back in.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
First off, apologies for my ignorance. Anyway, I'm currently in an IT business analyst role, which I completely stumbled into, and I'm not sure if it's what I'd like to pursue in the long term. I'm thinking I should try to get some IT certs in my spare time, but I want to avoid wasting that time and my money.

I've got an academic background where I did a decent amount of data analysis with R and Python, and I'm now considering pivoting towards something like a business intelligence development role. I think I like database stuff, though my experience is limited to basic SQL/forms/reports poo poo in MS Access.

After casually browsing this thread and a few offerings online, I'm now leaning towards the MCSA SQL 2016 Business Intelligence Development cert as something to potentially pursue in the near future. Or maybe some Oracle cert would be better in terms of employability and salary? I really have no idea.

I guess my main questions are 1) can I prepare for these exams without spending thousands of dollars on courses? 2) is BI a financially lucrative career path in the first place? 3) where do I even loving begin?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

a fleshy snood posted:

I guess my main questions are 1) can I prepare for these exams without spending thousands of dollars on courses? 2) is BI a financially lucrative career path in the first place? 3) where do I even loving begin?

1) Generally yes; while a bootcamp or something (paid by employer!) helps kickstart (or finish) the process, it's entirely unnecessary.
2) No idea; not my field.
3) Are you a student or still have a .edu email address? Microsoft Imagine is a program that will get you access to some / much of the software. It used to come with 6 months of free pluralsight too.

Microsoft Virtual Labs help:
https://www.microsoft.comen-us/cloud-platform/virtual-labs

It's daunting, and oftentimes frustrating, but entirely doable on your own accord.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I worked with a business who hired a BI consultant. She barely did any work, constantly hosed up reports (like ballooning temp files to where the drive was full and SQL crashed), demanded things like domain admin despite not knowing why, and she was paid a fuckton of cash money. I'd think it's pretty lucrative. I'd be worried that your credentials don't come from IT though, that a good BI has a masters in Business or something.

Anyway, any Microsoft, Cisco, and CompTIA cert should be passable with home study. There's a lot of reading and a lot of self-discipline to keep going, a lot of practice tests, but it's doable without a class. I'd recommend video courses if retaining information via reading isn't your thing; CBTNuggets, Udemy, Udacity are all decent and inexpensive.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

As for the lucrative financial side. There's a big hype on Big Data these days and if you are familiar with Python and R it sounds you already have the biggest requirements down.

Maybe start looking into Hadoop and Spark. Or check for a big data course on Coursera to see if thats the route you want to go.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Walked posted:

1) Generally yes; while a bootcamp or something (paid by employer!) helps kickstart (or finish) the process, it's entirely unnecessary.
2) No idea; not my field.
3) Are you a student or still have a .edu email address? Microsoft Imagine is a program that will get you access to some / much of the software. It used to come with 6 months of free pluralsight too.

Microsoft Virtual Labs help:
https://www.microsoft.comen-us/cloud-platform/virtual-labs

It's daunting, and oftentimes frustrating, but entirely doable on your own accord.

Thanks for the tips. Turns out my school (which I guess I'm still technically a student at even though I recently graduated) lets me download their Microsoft Imagine offerings. It looks like there's a lot of solid free resources out there, I'll start with the Microsoft Virtual Labs material.

LochNessMonster posted:

As for the lucrative financial side. There's a big hype on Big Data these days and if you are familiar with Python and R it sounds you already have the biggest requirements down.

Maybe start looking into Hadoop and Spark. Or check for a big data course on Coursera to see if thats the route you want to go.

Hadoop and Spark do seem cool, and I love data analytics/making pretty graphs. My worry is that it seems like it's mostly data scientists that are playing with 'big data'. I have toyed with the idea of getting into a data scientist kind of role, but honestly I don't think I have the credentials. It looks like the competition is mostly math/stats PhDs who are machine learning gods, and there is no way I am going back to grad school.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

HPL posted:

The OSI layers definitely are useful to keep in mind. The other day, I spent about an hour remotely diagnosing why a multifunction printer wasn't forwarding faxes to email. After muddling through SMTP settings and going over Exchange with a fine-toothed comb, turns out they had unplugged the phone line to update the firmware on the postage machine and forgot to plug the fax back in.

If I could pick one thing to teach account managers, project managers, and "IT" managers, in order to make my life easier, it would absolutely be the OSI model and its corresponding real-world examples.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
Man, I know I was saying I found Odom's writing comforting in its verbosity, but I'm now on the IPv6 section of his new ICND2 book and it's insufferable.

Every single section of this chapter is like:

quote:

Now, this section is nearly identical to OSPFv2. So you're going to want to go back and refresh your memory. However, some of the configuration details for OSPFv3 are slightly different. In fact it might be difficult to notice the differences.

<2 pages of stuff that may as well be a reprint from the OSPFv2 chapter>

As you can see, the only things that are different are: <2-3 bullet points with very minor differences>.

It goes on like this for 24 pages and I know at the end of it I'm just going to go back and edit in the minor differences as add-on information in my OSPFv2 notes, but I feel like if I don't read all of it there's going to be some important nuance I'm missing.

Like if the chapter is meant to be standalone then just make it standalone and pretend the reader has never read the OSPFv2 chapter. Or go the other way and make the OSPFv2 chapter required reading for this chapter. This weird half-way thing makes this a way bigger slog than it needs to be.

:negative:

edit: lol, just got near the end of the chapter where he gives a bulleted list of all the differences between OSPFv3 and OSPFv2. It's 4 things. 3 of them are outside the scope of ICND2. He spent 24 pages delivering literally 2 useful pieces of information. Hope he steps on a lego.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Oct 14, 2016

dephekt
Apr 20, 2015

this mode of apprehension isn't phenomenon of knowledge
I feel like the OSCP (Offensive Security Certified Pro) and possibly the CEH (Certified Ethical Hacker) certs could be added to the OP under Security. Many infosec jobs in my region ask for a CEH by name and would also quickly accept an OSCP as an alternative. Both more so than a Security+ this day and age.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I view CEH as basically a glorified Sec+, albeit more useful for actual knowledge. OSCP is pretty damned difficult and intensive; even the PWK course is incredibly useful even if you're not going to get the certification.

But yes, maybe it's time to revise the OP.

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.
Has anyone taken this god awful CHFI cert? It's next up for me on my WGU list and I've been hammering the uCertify stuff and then my mentor says "yeah, that's not actually the material they test on". So at this point I'm not sure where to turn. I'm torn between it seeming ridiculously easy and needlessly complex.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

MrBigglesworth posted:

Print them and hang em on your desk and every day look up and down the list. You will get it

Application
Presentation
Session
Transport
Network
Datalink
Physical.

Please Do Not Teach Stupid People Anything.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Please Do Not Teach Stupid People Anything.

Holy poo poo. Memorized.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Speaking as a money-hungry whore who heard there's gold to be had in IT, yet whose only experience is having once built a computer, should I backflip straight into CCNA like the last few pages have suggested, or take it slow and go for A+ and N+? And if I do go for A+ and N+, how well has the online guide in the OP held up?

For what it's worth, all the open entry-level IT positions I've seen have said nothing about training for A+

Level Slide fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 16, 2016

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Nobody will request or require an A+ but it will help a little if you have no experience. It's also good basic information if you truly don't know what you're doing with computers.

If you have a good understanding of how a computer works you can get the N+ which is a better attention grabber on a resume.

If you have never done IT and don't have access to network equipment the CCNA will be tough as balls and you might not really understand what you're learning, not having a reference point to how businesses actually use networking in the real world.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

And I assume "Pursuing Network+ certificate, expecting test-" would look more appealing on a resume than "Pursuing A+ certificate, expecting"

I notice the current N+ test is N10-006 while the online study guide I linked earlier is for N10-004. From what I gather, those last three numbers account for new technologies, but does the N10-004 guide still hold up despite that?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
What's your current job experience and what kind of jobs are you applying for? If you can, wait a month or two and get the N+ and get hired on at a higher rate. Always easier to negotiate better pay when you're hired than fighting for a raise later on. You'll end up like me, constantly switching jobs to jump up the ladder because 6 months after I'm hired I'm way under the industry standard for my qualifications.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Right now I'm going for any fancy pants computer gig that'll take me, or rather future me that actually has the N+

In the IT realm, I have practically nothing. I've installed Windows a few times and built a computer. At the very least I have an idea of where the wires go, but no direct professional experience. Worst case, I suppose I could weave some tale on how working retail taught me time management and communication with coworkers and customers.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
It's going to be tough sledding for you even with an N+ tbh. Youre probably going need to get certs ASAP to even get an interview. The field can be lucrative if you put in the time and get lucky or good.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Considering how easy it is to take the test, I'd imagine a whole lot of people already have the stuff. But if it helps me get even some entry level (5 years experience required) position, I'll work for it.

Just need to make sure I'm not applying for a "good job" sticker of a cert

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
It will definitely not get you any positions requiring five years of experience. I'm not really sure any certs will do that. But it can get you interviews for helpdesk positions that require no real experience.

It could possibly get you in to interview at smaller companies with poor candidate pipelines and no idea what they need. Even then you're probably going to be competing with people with more than 0 years experience.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I'm sure somebody who knows the industry better than me can give better suggestions, but I got in coming from retail and no professional experience by getting a job at a NOC, with a willingness to work overnights as a big selling point.

I had an A+ cert at the time, which I doubt was a factor in my hiring, and a bachelors in Comp Sci, which looks good on paper but is completely useless as far as technical skills go in IT. There was a healthy sprinkle of luck in there too because I shared an alma mater with the department manager and I'm pretty sure that's the only reason I got hired.

We're at the point where my department will hire anybody as a temp to hire with a CCENT, a personality more interesting than a wet paper bag, and willingness to be exploited for lovely pay.

e: Even though my A+ was completely useless, I still have no regrets getting it. It was still a good learning experience and filled a lot of gaps in my knowledge I had from being "that neighborhood kid who's good with computers."

Renegret fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 16, 2016

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Not to keep posting endlessly, but night shift NOC/data center work can be a good place to start too. Some places hire people just to make sure poo poo is plugged in and functioning, although I couldn't speak to how common those positions are the turnover has always seemed pretty high to me.

That being said, a bachelors in Comp Sci is a big deal as far as getting into that sort of work goes. It goes a lot farther than no experience + insert random '+' certification. But if you're willing to seek out companies like Sogetti and TekSystems and whatever other big sourcing/outsourcing places are out there and take their worst positions while work on your certifications it's probably a decent way to start. No experience is tough though, you're going to have a nigh impossible time BSing your way through an interview for something outside of the lowest level positions.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
So salary wise what would a Network Engie make with 2-3 years of Networking Experience, a BS in CompSci as stated, adding CCNA R&S, CCNA Data Center, S+ A+ ITIL?

Im only pulling about $62k and starting to apply and have been headhunted a few times in the last 2 weeks. No interviews yet, but seems like everyone wants to start with contract work and $45k to start.

gently caress THAT.

Im wanting as much as possible of course, but seems like national average should be around $75k or better....

I have bills to pay and health insurance that I need for my family. I have put in my time in the front line dirt doing helpdesk since 1996.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Well the head hunters either aren't looking closely at your resume or they're all vying to fill the same open positions. They really don't care if it's a good match for you.

Where are you located? I'd probably hire someone like you on my team for $70's+ depending on what work we had in the pipeline.