Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Third World Reggin posted:

do the reverse of exposing your stomach

just do all of TCM backwards

I like doing the anti-TCM walk, walk forwards without clapping hands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Vesi posted:

I like doing the anti-TCM walk, walk forwards without clapping hands

lol i also participate in this anti-TCM walk

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I like to walk forward at a speed fast enough that I actually reach my destination in some sort of reasonable timeframe.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Grand Fromage posted:

I like to walk forward at a speed fast enough that I actually reach my destination in some sort of reasonable timeframe.
You will be tired. You must sit. Don't move too fast, it's not good for the body. Better you walk very slow and look at your phone. This is relax, and very good for the body. You will not sweat. If you sweat then that is bad and not healthy.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
What would happen if, in China, you grabbed a woman in the pu*sy? Both if you are a star and a non-star.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

THE PWNER posted:

What would happen if, in China, you grabbed a woman in the pu*sy? Both if you are a star and a non-star.

her dad will swoop in and give the invoice for her dowry

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

THE PWNER posted:

you will really need to wash your hands

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

ladron posted:

you will really need to wash your hands

coat your hand in hot water before grabbing. saves you the hand washing and you'll earn the title of Healer.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I kind of have a real question for you guys. So, my HK counterpart always asked if I'd like to work in HK or see HK, etc. Etc. I always said yes and that it sounds like a very cool place because I try to be polite at work. I got an e-mail from her with her bosses boss loving CC'd on it that's basically like, "oh yeah here is the candidate I spoke about and highly recommended to work here." It's completely insane, everyone knows I have a son and a wife and that moving internationally is just not even a reality among a thousand other reasons.

I don't even know what I would do there since she is my direct counterpart and does what I do. I would be redundant as hell. But seriously, how do respond to this without offending? My colleagues here in NY are like, just tell her no. And shrug, but if this chick decides to become difficult, non communicative and lovely with me --- my work life will become really awful since I rely on her heavily for HK stuff. She always pulls this poo poo, invites me to meetings I don't need to be a part of, especially with the time difference and then I have to show or otherwise she loses face because her foreigner counterpart doesn't respect her to show. Aughhh

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Go for a holiday then say it's not for you?

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Glenn Quebec posted:

I kind of have a real question for you guys. So, my HK counterpart always asked if I'd like to work in HK or see HK, etc. Etc. I always said yes and that it sounds like a very cool place because I try to be polite at work. I got an e-mail from her with her bosses boss loving CC'd on it that's basically like, "oh yeah here is the candidate I spoke about and highly recommended to work here." It's completely insane, everyone knows I have a son and a wife and that moving internationally is just not even a reality among a thousand other reasons.

I don't even know what I would do there since she is my direct counterpart and does what I do. I would be redundant as hell. But seriously, how do respond to this without offending? My colleagues here in NY are like, just tell her no. And shrug, but if this chick decides to become difficult, non communicative and lovely with me --- my work life will become really awful since I rely on her heavily for HK stuff. She always pulls this poo poo, invites me to meetings I don't need to be a part of, especially with the time difference and then I have to show or otherwise she loses face because her foreigner counterpart doesn't respect her to show. Aughhh

Just tell her you have a wife and kid and you can't relocate across the goddamn planet. They're not mentally disabled. You can talk to them like normal people.

Falun Bong Refugee fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 16, 2016

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Glenn Quebec posted:

Say you mentioned it to your wife and your wife just about bit your head off because she wants to be near her parents who she considers to be not well.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Sheep-Goats posted:

Say you mentioned it to your wife and your wife just about bit your head off because she wants to be near her parents who she considers to be not well.

ooohh, good answer

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ladron posted:

ooohh, good answer

90% of the benefit of a wife/kids is using them as an excuse.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Sheep-Goats posted:

90% of the benefit of a wife/kids is using them as an excuse.

Wife alone is a poo poo excuse and makes you look like a twat, but wife & kid is a totally legit excuse for anything. Might even drop in some sick parents for the profit. A true and caring family man.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

Just tell her you have a wife and kid and you can't relocate across the goddamn planet. They're not mentally disabled. You can talk to them like normal people.

This. Jesus, you're acting like she's a mainlander.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

hong kong is unsafe and you would rather relocate to zhengzhou

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Wonder if the HK counterpart is wanting to come to the US or wherever you are, or something like that.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

You don't want to be in HK when the red army inevitably sieges it.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Sogol posted:

Wonder if the HK counterpart is wanting to come to the US or wherever you are, or something like that.

Haha, imagine if it was some weird double bluff where I get relocated to HK and she works in NYC. Honestly, if her behavior is considered cool and good / much improved compares to mainlanders, then I don't know how you guys deal with it. I feel like most the stuff I say to her, even when relatively strong worded falls on deaf ears.

Yeah and I get that she's not retarded but some sensitivity is required and being a huge pussy and saying some sort of family comes first thing seems week. It makes me sound like I'm not ambitious which I'd like to avoid.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
There's a documentary on the BBC right now suggesting the terracotta army was built by Greek trained sculptors. So disrespectful!

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

OfficialGBSCaliph posted:

There's a documentary on the BBC right now suggesting the terracotta army was built by Greek trained sculptors. So disrespectful!

Just you wait, china is going to send it's fishers to the mediterranean soon with statements about how greece is a chinese territory since 300 BC.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3Y3Rw773Ok
Oldie but goodie. CCTV building burns down. Skip to about 5 minutes to see glittery smoke

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Glenn Quebec posted:

Haha, imagine if it was some weird double bluff where I get relocated to HK and she works in NYC. Honestly, if her behavior is considered cool and good / much improved compares to mainlanders, then I don't know how you guys deal with it. I feel like most the stuff I say to her, even when relatively strong worded falls on deaf ears.

Yeah and I get that she's not retarded but some sensitivity is required and being a huge pussy and saying some sort of family comes first thing seems week. It makes me sound like I'm not ambitious which I'd like to avoid.

My point, in so far as I have one, is that there is almost certainly something in it for her.

Another possibility is that if she gets you to move she gets a promotion and you work for her. That kind of thing.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Glenn Quebec posted:

Maybe you aren't ambitious though

Bitch

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

gently caress owned. May as well move to Hong Kong and become this woman's bitch.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Sheep-Goats posted:

Yo this is still the perfect answer.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
For real though, any man who can't subjugate his domestics to do what his career demands has no business calling himself a man.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Stringent posted:

For real though, any man who can't subjugate his domestics to do what his career demands has no business calling himself a man.

I find your lack of filial piety disturbing.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

48 pages and you've all learned nothing. There is no problem. Agree with your co-worker but do nothing. Pretend to implement her suggestions but only follow your own prerogative. If she gets angry she loses face.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Glenn Quebec posted:

Honestly, if her behavior is considered cool and good / much improved compares to mainlanders, then I don't know how you guys deal with it. I feel like most the stuff I say to her, even when relatively strong worded falls on deaf ears.
Do your conversations, email or otherwise, sound something like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyBa3cYx6ZY

If so, welcome to working with East Asia.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Working out with Chinese characteristics.

https://www.facebook.com/guangmingonline/videos/1224045000951795/

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
See if the job offers one of those huge expat packages like free apartment, housing allowance etc. And, and, and, this is important, WHAT WILL THEY DO ABOUT SCHOOL FOR YOUR KIDS. Getting into an International School in Hong Kong is loving insane in terms of both cost and placement. Legally your kids have to go to school but expect cutthroat competition for places, and you're hosed if you have to relocate in the middle of the term. I cannot stress this enough. It is the number one headache for expat families and the number one thing companies neglect to mention.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
I've been waiting in line in the bank for half a loving hour because some mainlander is asking the clerk a million questions about transferring money from China or something.

Edit: she's finally been taken aside to a desk. Now the clerk is explaining to the next one, who apparently got all her deposit information wrong.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Stringent posted:

shiiiiit, i knew a guy that got his CCIE and his wife promptly found him a job in the small louisiana town her parents were in. he went along with it too.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Imperialist Dog posted:

I've been waiting in line in the bank for half a loving hour because some mainlander is asking the clerk a million questions about transferring money from China or something.

Edit: she's finally been taken aside to a desk. Now the clerk is explaining to the next one, who apparently got all her deposit information wrong.
This happens in the USA, too. I used Bank of America and that was the main choice for all the Chinese university kids. Every single time they would go to teller and ask loudly in horrible, horrible English about how they can bring money in from Chain-ARR. After a while the bank set up a China/Foreigner Zone of couches and they were all told to go sit on the couches when they needed help instead of waiting in line to ruin everyone else's day. I remember I walked in one time and it was the beginning of the new school year and there had to be about 30 of them huddled near the couches, ready to make new accounts. I felt so sorry for the one woman working in that department.
I also knew it's going to be a wait at the bank when I see a fleet of Audis and BMWs in day-glo colors parked in front.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

shiiiiit, i knew a guy that got his CCIE and his wife promptly found him a job in the small louisiana town her parents were in. he went along with it too.

To be fair, even if it paid 20%-30% below average wage for that salary he still be making a killing with cost of living.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm the Chinese person getting angry that my antiquated usage of the word "ever" is not easily understood by modern English speakers.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Haier posted:

I'm the Chinese person getting angry that my antiquated usage of the word "ever" is not easily understood by modern English speakers.

Care to explain? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Questions to the goons living in cities with a large population of new mainlanders, like Vancouver or Melbourne or similar. How common is car theft where the victims are Chinese? I ask because I lived in Eastern Europe at the height of the car-theft craze in the mid 90's and here in China I see people being very naive with their cars, even the expensive ones, i.e. sitting outside letting it run, showing off keys etc etc, rich pickings for enterprising thieves.

• Locked thread