Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Nyarlothotep posted:

I'm pretty sure this has been a clever ruse to attempt to demonstrate that it's unfair to say Americans suck at geography based on a single example (I.E. not being able to exactly locate Ukraine).
Seems a bit misguided though, what with it being backed up by an actual study.

Titus Sardonicus posted:

The Ukraine? You are showing your age and your Cold War mentality, Mister Carter :v:
He's a drat pinko is what he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whole_Azerbaijan

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Canadian Azerbacon

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I believe all Americans should not finish a basic education without knowing the location and name of every US state and Afghan province.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
I knew the capitals of every state by age six, thank you Carmen Sandiego.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Peanut President posted:

To be fair The Ukraine is a country and I'm not convinced Kansas exists.

Not only is "The Ukraine" a country, it's bigger by population than any single US states, let alone one of the flyover ones with more cows than people.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Redeye Flight posted:

I knew the capitals of every state by age six, thank you Carmen Sandiego.
Same but Animaniacs

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Tumblr of scotch posted:

Same but Animaniacs

Any excuse is a good one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNUDDaEOvuY

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

I just noticed that Massachusetts is missing Cape Cod when he mentions Boston.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

Not only is "The Ukraine" a country, it's bigger by population than any single US states, let alone one of the flyover ones with more cows than people.

There's a difference between saying "The Ukraine" and just "Ukraine".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

A Buttery Pastry posted:

El Niño isn't even about climate change as it is usually discussed, being a cyclical phenomenon instead of a trend toward something.

So Europeans don't even have basic climate knowledge.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Mr. Belpit posted:

There's a difference between saying "The Ukraine" and just "Ukraine".

Fine, we'll split the difference and call it Southern Russia.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Phlegmish posted:

Here's the EU (pre-Brexit) divided into countries of approximately equal population:

:twisted:

Man, Sealand has really come up in the world. I wonder if they still keep the captial at Roughs Tower.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

"Danovia?" What, was Danubia too on the nose?

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

The US interstate system as a subway map.

The guy who made it also has another, more complex one for the full US highway system:

My favorite part is, judging purely by highways, Kansas appears much more important than it actually is.

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Haha, americans am I right

*produces european new right*

haha but Trump

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Koramei posted:

as a European who's lived in America for a long time, I feel qualified to say Euros are pretty unjustifiably smug about a lotta poo poo

If other continents made so much noise about few hundred years of domination they would have been nuked already

We're all going to be speaking Mandarin in a century or two again so the world will be as it as always has with glorious East supreme :china:

vintagepurple posted:

Haha, americans am I right

*produces european new right*

haha but Trump

I mean yeah (as an European) but if you had a parliamentary system Trump would be polling at like 30-35% and would probably get the first shot at forming the government :shrug:

on the other hand nobody would probably join him so you would have a Clinton/Sanders/GOPe coalition government...

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Baka-nin posted:

Fine, we'll split the difference and call it Southern Russia.

I like to pull out the factoid that Ukrainian is as different from Russian as Dutch is from German.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I like to pull out the factoid that Ukrainian is as different from Russian as Dutch is from German.

So, Ukrainians are just poo poo at spelling? :v:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If we had a parliamentary system, then Trump likely would not have been able to exploit a deep-seated and long-standing sense of rural disenfranchisement. It's unclear that he'd be capable of any other tactic, and the far-right would, at least, face a much different strategic landscape.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bongo Bill posted:

If we had a parliamentary system, then Trump likely would not have been able to exploit a deep-seated and long-standing sense of rural disenfranchisement. It's unclear that he'd be capable of any other tactic, and the far-right would, at least, face a much different strategic landscape.

I dunno, worked for UKIP.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

computer parts posted:

So Europeans don't even have basic climate knowledge.
That is not possible to argue from their lack of knowledge of a single specific phenomenon.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That is not possible to argue from their lack of knowledge of a single specific phenomenon.

Well yes, you can't argue a negative.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

computer parts posted:

The UK has a FPTP system of voting instead of simple representation by percentage votes, making it almost as undemocratic as the US.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Phlegmish posted:

Here's the EU (pre-Brexit) divided into countries of approximately equal population:

:twisted:
"North-Land"? They couldn't have gone with Northumberland?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Curvature of Earth posted:

The US interstate system as a subway map.

The guy who made it also has another, more complex one for the full US highway system:

My favorite part is, judging purely by highways, Kansas appears much more important than it actually is.

He has a lot of this stuff on his website:
http://www.cambooth.net/

Including a zoomable map of the entire US Route and US Interstate systems:
http://www.cambooth.net/maps/highways-usa.html#3/67.34/-29.88

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Bongo Bill posted:

Conservative rural areas are over-represented in Congress. If anything, a parliamentary system would give them less of a voice.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Bongo Bill posted:

If we had a parliamentary system, then Trump likely would not have been able to exploit a deep-seated and long-standing sense of rural disenfranchisement.

Pretty sure he is exploiting a deep-seated and long-standing sense of nativism and white supremacy, just like our European far-right parties

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

HorseRenoir posted:

Conservative rural areas are over-represented in Congress. If anything, a parliamentary system would give them less of a voice.

Good impression of a teenaged western liberal

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

The CIA actually looked into fomenting Azeri separatism in Iran. They decided that it would be wasted effort because pretty much all Azeri within Iran view themselves as Iranian and didn't really express any desire to become part of a seperate state. Independent Azeribaijan only really exists because Russia conquered it. The CIA ended up deciding Balochs of all people were the group to try to whip up.

e: also lol at claiming Hamadan.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

computer parts posted:

No, it didn't. They have one seat out of 650 in Parliament.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Funnily enough, speaking as someone from the UK, I just got 47 out of 50 on a "click on US states" game* but when I tried doing one of European countries I got to "Click on Slovenia" and went "aaauuugggghhhh I know it's in the Balkans somewhere :eng99:"

* I'd've got 48 if I'd actually thought for a second when it asked me to click on Louisiana. Other two I got wrong were New Mexico (clicked on Arizona) and Indiana (can't remember what I clicked on, to be honest).

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

computer parts posted:

Hmm, let's check how politically relevant UKIP is.

DarkCrawler posted:

Pretty sure he is exploiting a deep-seated and long-standing sense of nativism and white supremacy, just like our European far-right parties
Man, could it be possible, perhaps, that a bankrupt executive run out of daddy's money, with documented past times of raping women and children alike, would have a harder time running in an environment where half of the population has not been classically conditioned for decades to vote for the party he represents.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Oct 17, 2016

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Over 20,000 local government seats

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Bloodnose posted:

Over 20,000 local government seats
Yeah, UK outside London is not a self-governed wasteland of funny accents.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Don't you mean is? How else do they get to 20k local government seats?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Every town and district has a council. It adds up.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Oct 17, 2016

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Bloodnose posted:

Well, there's 418 councils, I guess each council has roughly 50 councillors.

e: oh ok, turns out the 20k is only for the 217 unitary and upper tier councils, there are also parish councillors to add on top of that. Or maybe I'm reading this wrong: http://www.lgiu.org.uk/local-government-facts-and-figures/

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Oct 17, 2016

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Bloodnose posted:

Well, out of how many total local government seats in the UK? What's the context for that figure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Paul.Power posted:

Funnily enough, speaking as someone from the UK, I just got 47 out of 50 on a "click on US states" game* but when I tried doing one of European countries I got to "Click on Slovenia" and went "aaauuugggghhhh I know it's in the Balkans somewhere :eng99:"

* I'd've got 48 if I'd actually thought for a second when it asked me to click on Louisiana. Other two I got wrong were New Mexico (clicked on Arizona) and Indiana (can't remember what I clicked on, to be honest).

Why do you feel compelled to stare at maps of murrkah and not Europe? Like lol at anyone ever who identifies Wyoming but not Slovenia and isn't from the american intermountainy west

But still

Gj proving my point