Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

CaptainPsyko posted:

The breakeven point at luneths RM is six months of only sundaily. Three months of all dailies.

There are also orbfests and event XP dungeons to consider, so it's actually much shorter than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

flowinprose posted:

This depends on whether you are using it on a solo character or in a group of several others using the 20% chance of double xp RMs.

The assumption is based on full parties. Literally the least friendly circumstance possible.

Zurai posted:

There are also orbfests and event XP dungeons to consider, so it's actually much shorter than that.

Exactly. If you want the RM, just bite the bullet and feed him the eggs ASAP because it's a cost that will eventually earn itself back.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Zurai posted:

Oh hey, I've been meaning to ask: is it you that does the Boss Guides for the JP events on Reddit, or just a coincidentally similar username? If it is you I just wanted to say thanks for them, even just having the basic information out so quickly is really useful.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

CaptainPsyko posted:

The assumption is based on full parties. Literally the least friendly circumstance possible.

Exactly. If you want the RM, just bite the bullet and feed him the eggs ASAP because it's a cost that will eventually earn itself back.

I agree, I think the payoff for it is worth the egg investment, particularly if you are already clearing all content including cid missions. For players who are pushing to clear full events, it might be more worthwhile to invest in a character that you could use to substantially improve your A-team.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Just finished with the FF7 Cid's Mission with the Vincent + Hope RW set up.

Since I didn't have Reno levelled or a MAG weapon for Red, I brought Zack for his Hastega SSB. If you're wondering what he did during the Core phases, he used the 1* support skill Salve to keep the Hastega up and take some pressure off of Aerith and Cait. Easily the silliest strategy I've used for a Cid's Mission, but it's not like honing a 1* skill is expensive.

Also, Aerith's Reraise SSB saved me from redoing the U++ for Mastery, so I'm back to liking it again.

DaddyBigBucks
Sep 28, 2003

After reading this. I can say I am definitely setup for this. Being away from the game for a year, I came back to 200 something mythril sitting there and pulled Hope's BSB, Rinoa's BSB, Garnet's BSB, Sheepsong, Lulu's Focus, Porom's Sync (who is so god drat slow) and Aerith's Pulse of Light. This is in addition to both of Reno's Bombshell and Light. It looks like I need a Dancer maybe to perfect this setup. Tyro is a good candidate but own none of his SB's aside from the terrible Healing Grimoire .

I haven't really tackled any of the ultimate's because I had so many dungeons and daily's to catch up on.

Anything else I should be pulling/gunning for? Does the meta mage have legs from those who have experience with it?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Reforging. :allears:

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog
On Luneth talk; Assuming nothing changes, another thing to consider is that he has some pretty sweet buffs coming up when Onion event comes up.

He picks up Dragoon 5 and Darkness 4 default, then (if you care about such things) motes open up for him and give him possible access Spellblade 5/Support 4/Darkness 5. (Last eventually matters, as a pretty sweet Darkness physical combo that needs Dark 5 is floating around in JP right now.)

I don't think his current "half-assed Spellblade" is really all that good, especially once the double-shot swords start opening up.. but full power Dragoon that can throw around Ga swords and Dark Bargain? Another question entirely. Good gear selection, to boot. So the EXP of making him L99 is not wasted from a gameplay sense, especially if you have a SB for him.

I managed to get his darned Trueblade clone off the Lucky Draw, so I'm pretty seriously considering going for his RM4.

SageAcrin fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 16, 2016

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

I dont know if anyone cares or not but i took my cloud osb big hitter out for quintis and mighty guard again for summon. both get about the same amount per day so it probably doesnt matter haha

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

SageAcrin posted:

I don't think his current "half-assed Spellblade" is really all that good, especially once the double-shot swords start opening up.. but full power Dragoon that can throw around Ga swords and Dark Bargain? Another question entirely. Good gear selection, to boot. So the EXP of making him L99 is not wasted from a gameplay sense, especially if you have a SB for him.

I managed to get his darned Trueblade clone off the Lucky Draw, so I'm pretty seriously considering going for his RM4.

My only issue with this is for older players, we could select Tyrfing in the first selection banner offered, so any of us could have Advance. His current configuration of Lifesiphon > Advance > Full Charge makes him a murderbeast in any realm with a synergy weapon. Swap out Lifesiphon for a spellblade to hit a weakness and he can joun any A-team. I just pulled Refia's Rising Sun and he was still far outpacing her in DPS in the FFIII story dungeon bosses.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Yeah, and with advamce you can plop him in any party, mage included.

Advance + thunder dive, hell yeah.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog

Benthalus posted:

My only issue with this is for older players, we could select Tyrfing in the first selection banner offered, so any of us could have Advance. His current configuration of Lifesiphon > Advance > Full Charge makes him a murderbeast in any realm with a synergy weapon. Swap out Lifesiphon for a spellblade to hit a weakness and he can joun any A-team. I just pulled Refia's Rising Sun and he was still far outpacing her in DPS in the FFIII story dungeon bosses.

Well, Advance is... sort of kind of aging as a high power murder engine, due to the weird mechanics of the soft power cap(Over 600 or so attack really, really doesn't give a lot of raw damage)+Shout and some other good stackable Boostga existing, as far as really high power A-Teams go.

Then again, it isn't BAD either, even with that-as was mentioned, it works with mage teams...it is just showing some age.

Overall point is, it's easy to make use of Luneth if you have his SBs, once those buffs come in. Right now... he's probably underrated in that he's not a garbage character(5* Spellblade only really matters for one thing right now.), but he doesn't stand out as a high power cannon or anything, and he would have really been rough later on if he hadn't gotten those buffs.

But he does, so :getin:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Scob posted:

I dont know if anyone cares or not but i took my cloud osb big hitter out for quintis and mighty guard again for summon. both get about the same amount per day so it probably doesnt matter haha

Cloud's OSB is getting novelty summons for people who didn't draw it and want to see it as well as for cheesing the ultimate.

Mighty Guard is probably a better long term one. Shellga+Hastega+High Regen will always be in demand.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

What would you goons prefer as a RW, and are most likely to summon with frequency:

Shout
Divine Guardian
Prayer of the Lost
Sentinel's Grimoire/Stoneskin II

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard
I look forward to the day multiplayer comes to global, because then maybe I can understand what the hell most people are listing for their groups. I can handle the 160s on my own, but the 200s are a tad bit of a bitch without full synergy.

Late edit: phooey, almost had 200 Cid mastered, if he hadn't gotten a Dazega off on Ramza then went to town on our damage dealers un-Power-Brokedown. Matching up an Imperil user with OSB users of the same element is really drat good, until Captain Status throws a wrench in the works.

FeralWraith fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 17, 2016

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
I'd prefer Prayer of the Lost, but if we're talking frequency, I still pick Fenrir Overdrive/Rikku's Machinations the most for their use in dailies.

Random target burst with the first command being an AoE means I can just press auto and relax.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I feel like getting a single off-banner non-SB relic is even more of a kick in the balls than getting nothing nowadays :sigh:

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Ok thank god dollar pull on banner 2 got me Ragnarok. FINALLY a decent physical weapon in this realm. I'm not cursed anymore for IX physical.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
2/11, Flame Staff and Ragnarok! :toot:

Switching to Proof of Existence for the time being. aVdY for those who need it. I've got a Cypress Pile+++, so my li'l Vivi is sporting 570+ MAG.

This was pretty much perfect for me, the only other things I would have wanted were Tin Armor and Bistro Fork, but considering that Flame Staff was my chase relic, can't really complain about this at all.

Now to decide if I'm going to bite the bullet and pull on Keeper 2 for the Red Hat and the chance of getting SG/Shout...

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
By the way, folks pulling Vivi's Staff in this draw - gear him out and put it up as your roaming warrior. It's the ideal choice for blasting Meltgemini.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
100 gem was nothing. Did 3-pull afterwards and got Vivi's BSB.

Be right back, time to powerlevel a wizard until he can turn Meltigemini into a faint mist.

I'm pretty certain EnFire (and +20% damage from the staff) Chain Firagas and Meltdown should do enough damage.

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard
Something to note about the Kraken fight: the Ink tentacle is HIS left, not the leftmost on the screen. Enjoy one less S/L.

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT
Dollar pull ragnarok... Happy!

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Meltigemini is a pure damage race and I honestly don't see how anyone's expected to CM it without Garnet SSB/Vivi BSB native plus a RW'd wall.

Of course, the weakness to fire means that Vivi BSB makes it easy once you get to that point; both his BSB commands and Meltdown will utterly shred the boss's HP.

You could concievably do it without Wall, if you didn't mind near-constant 3000-HP Bio ganks.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I beat the living hell out of Melti, but that's thanks to pulling Wizard Rod and Gold Hairpin and Ragnarok. I mastered it despite ignoring the fire requirement. Magic Blink from Ragnarok saved my rear end. RW'ed Eiko's BSB to deal with the damage, and to make my team hit hard. After struggling like an idiot against Diamond Weapon that felt good to smash that one.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Alright, I beat Melti CM with 0 SBs (but I had decent synergy).

I brought a mixed mage team with R3 Bahamut/R4 Alex on Eiko, R3 Chain Firaga/R1 Meltdown on Kuja, and SC + Magic Lure (I have R4 SC, if R3 do Banishing instead of Magic Lure) on Steiner. Quina had breakdowns and Garnet had healer stuff, both with shared medica rods.

Phase 1: Throw everything at one of the Clowns. I spent all 3 Bahamuts, 3 Chain Firagas, and a bunch of SC in this phase. Once the first clown is down, slow down a bit so you can get the perfect setup into phase 2. Heal up and rebuff before killing the clown. Make sure that Quina has full break queued up before you enter phase 2, as you won't get two turns before Melti unleashes the hurt.

Phase 2: Throw everything you have at Melti. He is really squishy, but if you let him get a bio off you will probably die. His first turn is a scripted aoe poison and his second is a scripted res ignoring Ultimate Meteor that hits for a decent chunk (which is why you wanted Quina precasting with a breakdown before entering this phase). Preferably you will have Garnet charging a shared medica shot before he casts his meteor. Your goal is to get him to 50% before his third turn, cause if you don't he will use Bio and wreck your day. At 50% he uses a scripted aoe sap followed by another Ultimate Meteor. Again, you want to kill him before he gets a third action off. 1 Meltdown + 1 Chain Firaga + 2 Alex + 2 SC is enough to take out 50% of his hp.

I brought Sheep for my setup, but you can probably pull it off with a Hope or Vivi BSB for the extra damage potential.

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 17, 2016

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard
Okay, yeah, hell no. Not doing this CM tonight, not after the poo poo day I've had. Doesn't help that every time I go to kick on Proof of Existence RW, my loving phone thinks I'm hitting defend. Goddamn stupid Android update. Can't even make it past the loving Twins right now. Not having native Haste is a bitch and a half.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Those twins are really hardy, jeez.

Winner is Maria's Song, giving me the needed offense to burn down the second phase. Having native haste was very helpful, though really Eiko's Burst was the real shining star.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

Beasteh posted:

What would you goons prefer as a RW, and are most likely to summon with frequency:

Shout
Divine Guardian
Prayer of the Lost
Sentinel's Grimoire/Stoneskin II

if i dont need shout i just take whatever they give me

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

IcePhoenix posted:

I feel like getting a single off-banner non-SB relic is even more of a kick in the balls than getting nothing nowadays :sigh:

I disagree completely. Unless you already have perfect synergy gear for the best team in a realm, that 5* weapon or armor will almost certainly be an upgrade. Or give you flexibility to bring a different character if need be.

And if not, its a Rosetta stone.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well that wasn't too nasty. Taharka the definitely not an otter was a chump, Kraken too.

Twins took a few goes. Winning run one of the little shits took out Lenna right at the end and then it was a damage race that I won with Shout, Paladin Force, and Abes All-Star. Couldn't have done it without Tailwind and that instant heal RW from Minwu (I think?) though.

Oh, and some elemental resistance. Ice and Fire and Poison. Not that I got anything from Poison Resistance, that was on Lenna. :v:

I will try very hard to get Luneth's MC3 next event. Cecil and Tidus were definitely the right choice for the first two though. Watch me grab Ramza's though.

McDragon fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Oct 17, 2016

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
U and U+ down, those weren't bad at all. Kraken scared me a bit with Ultimate Freeze but after I had magic blink going he went down easily.

Little scared of U++ at the moment, debating who to bring on my team.

Must haves: Vivi (kitted out in full synergy gear that boosts fire, and with an astronomical mag stat for RWing his BSB)
Vaan (BSB to break their mag/def)
Ramza (Full break, medica)
Some kind of wall (I have both)

I'm debating what to do for wall and who to bring for the fifth.

I could bring Y'shtola for Stoneskin II, and then Tyro for Keeper's Tome for additional breaks and magic blink, but that lacks a hastega (since I'm RWing Proof of Existence) so that will result in me going splat.
I could bring Garnet as a second healer with Divine Guardian, which provides a res boost and hastega, but then I lack Keeper's Tome so I have to manually bring shellga and don't have that magic blink safety net.

The best thing I can think of is bringing Garnet as a main healer, then having Tyro spam lifesiphon with Battleforged so he can use wall at the end of the twins phase, then Keeper's Tome on his first turn after they combine??

Also I'm lacking a medica other than Ramza's, which seems...ill advised, but then I'd have to bring Aeris or Relm or something, and I'm already at healer saturation.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

U and U+ down, those weren't bad at all. Kraken scared me a bit with Ultimate Freeze but after I had magic blink going he went down easily.

Little scared of U++ at the moment, debating who to bring on my team.

Must haves: Vivi (kitted out in full synergy gear that boosts fire, and with an astronomical mag stat for RWing his BSB)
Vaan (BSB to break their mag/def)
Ramza (Full break, medica)
Some kind of wall (I have both)

I'm debating what to do for wall and who to bring for the fifth.

I could bring Y'shtola for Stoneskin II, and then Tyro for Keeper's Tome for additional breaks and magic blink, but that lacks a hastega (since I'm RWing Proof of Existence) so that will result in me going splat.
I could bring Garnet as a second healer with Divine Guardian, which provides a res boost and hastega, but then I lack Keeper's Tome so I have to manually bring shellga and don't have that magic blink safety net.

The best thing I can think of is bringing Garnet as a main healer, then having Tyro spam lifesiphon with Battleforged so he can use wall at the end of the twins phase, then Keeper's Tome on his first turn after they combine??

Also I'm lacking a medica other than Ramza's, which seems...ill advised, but then I'd have to bring Aeris or Relm or something, and I'm already at healer saturation.

Given the tools you have, consider tilting more towards offense, skipping the magic blink, and bringing Y'shtola as healer and Garnet as summoner. If you pour on the damage, Meltgemini is going to waste four turns on scripted attacks, two of which will do zero damage (especially if you time a Garnet SSB properly) before ever doing something truly dangerous.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Fuuuuuuuuck trying to CM That sonovabitch.

At least fighting him with A team was....pretty good honestly. He's a damage race but with a decent team its bearable.
CMing that no thank you however. Only have Garnet's SSB and Beatrix's gauntlets for SB's, and my synergy in general for the realm is rather low.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ApplesandOranges posted:

2/11, Flame Staff and Ragnarok! :toot:

Switching to Proof of Existence for the time being. aVdY for those who need it. I've got a Cypress Pile+++, so my li'l Vivi is sporting 570+ MAG.

This was pretty much perfect for me, the only other things I would have wanted were Tin Armor and Bistro Fork, but considering that Flame Staff was my chase relic, can't really complain about this at all.

Now to decide if I'm going to bite the bullet and pull on Keeper 2 for the Red Hat and the chance of getting SG/Shout...

I don't know how these things work, but does a higher mind make burst mode last longer? Because considering most people are RW-ing BSBs for the attack/defend commands, getting enough mind to do get an extra turn or two out of burst mode may be worth losing a little damage on entry.

Benthalus posted:

I disagree completely. Unless you already have perfect synergy gear for the best team in a realm, that 5* weapon or armor will almost certainly be an upgrade. Or give you flexibility to bring a different character if need be.

Don't know how to quantify it but it's absolutely worse for me :shrug: It doesn't help that I got a mage hat for FF7 when I already have two good ones.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Oct 17, 2016

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

IcePhoenix posted:

I don't know how these things work, but does a higher mind make burst mode last longer? Because considering most people are RW-ing BSBs for the attack/defend commands, getting enough mind to do get an extra turn or two out of burst mode may be worth losing a little damage on entry.

No. the only effects that get prolonged by MND are the 'standard' status effects - protect, shell, haste, regen, and debuffs like poison, sleep, sap, silence, etc.

Stat modifiers like burst mode and breakdowns and boostga are unaffected by mind.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
ok, i finally picked up 50 mythril and i'm trying to decide if i wanna pull on Elko 1 or not.

I already have Lightbringer and Steiners Sword Break, so those two are going to be dupes for me. I'm pretty set for weapon synergy for FFIX, i just have no armor. Since the only armor on Elko 1 is Kuja's gloves, i shouldn't pull, right? I know Elko's BSSB is hot poo poo but its going to be pretty hot poo poo in order to supplant Y'shtola w/ SSII.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
gently caress this stupid 3* dildo dagger from FF 2, I swear it's been my most common dollar draw "prize" of all time :argh:

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Lechtansi posted:

ok, i finally picked up 50 mythril and i'm trying to decide if i wanna pull on Elko 1 or not.

I already have Lightbringer and Steiners Sword Break, so those two are going to be dupes for me. I'm pretty set for weapon synergy for FFIX, i just have no armor. Since the only armor on Elko 1 is Kuja's gloves, i shouldn't pull, right? I know Elko's BSSB is hot poo poo but its going to be pretty hot poo poo in order to supplant Y'shtola w/ SSII.

There's also Quina's hairpin.

That said, I probably wouldn't pull on this one if I were you. The only way it's a maybe is if you have Tidus's BSB and intend to go deep for his OSB. If you're not riding that very specific plan, don't chase on this banner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Benthalus posted:

Yeah, there's a few 5*s that are still literal bottom of the trash bin; Behemoth Knife and Genji Shield IV come to mind. Organics/Ogre Nix VI, too.

Most of them will be good synergy for whatever realm they're in, though, if nothing else.

• Locked thread