Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

PupsOfWar posted:

Just a timing thing.

Not all big Harry Potter fans I know have latched onto Rothfuss, but all three of the Rothfuss fans I know were big Harry Potter fans.
Nah. I never read any Harry Potter, but I enjoyed the hell out of The Name of The Wind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

PupsOfWar posted:

I've always imagined the reason rothfuss's books are popular is that they're a Wizard College series that came along just as Harry Potter, (a Wizard High School series) was winding down, and were able to catch some of those readers as they floated, lonely and adrift, through the literary void

Just a timing thing.

Not all big Harry Potter fans I know have latched onto Rothfuss, but all three of the Rothfuss fans I know were big Harry Potter fans.

I doubt it. NotW is pretty fundamentally different from HP, unless you're going to abstract into absurdity

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

StonecutterJoe posted:

Has anyone written a series about biker wizards? Because now I want to read that poo poo. I don't care who writes it, as long as it isn't Rothfuhahahhaahhah he doesn't write anything.

Coming soon to FX, Sons of Anarmancy. :science:

ChickenWing posted:

I doubt it. NotW is pretty fundamentally different from HP, unless you're going to abstract into absurdity

For starters; Harry Potter actually had a plot, character development, and good writing for its target audience.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Why am I a quarter of the way into the second book and I still feel like no plot has happened since the fucker got orphaned?

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Malpais Legate posted:

Why am I a quarter of the way into the second book and I still feel like no plot has happened since the fucker got orphaned?

Rothfuss confused plot with a training montage?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pash posted:

Rothfuss confused plot with a training montage?

It's not even a montage because montages by definition are there to condence information and time.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

It's only just dawning on me that I've been reading the daily adventures of Some gently caress and his supposedly crippling student loans.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Malpais Legate posted:

Atlas Hugged posted:

Anyone who continues into book two deserves what they get.

King of Gulps
Sep 4, 2003

ChickenWing posted:

lol no

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

Malpais Legate posted:

It's only just dawning on me that I've been reading the daily adventures of Some gently caress and his supposedly crippling student loans.

Book 2 is really just his sophomore year at college. Kvothe does a semester's worth of study abroad, Kvothe goes to a frat party and gets laid for the first time, Kvothe joins the karate club, etc. Rothfuss refuses to have anything interesting happen at any point in the story in favor of college bullshit.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
There's really very little different between Rothfuss himself and Kvothe as a character. They spend most of their time hanging around college campuses, they smugly try to take the elite of their fields down a peg, and they do nothing to advance the story they're best known for.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

How the gently caress do you make magic this loving boring? Nobody thinks "man wow what if avada kedavra was subject to the laws of thermodynamics wouldn't that be neat"

I'm so salty I gazed back at Gomorrah.

Aquarium Gravel
Oct 21, 2004

I dun shot my dick off

Malpais Legate posted:

the daily adventures of Some gently caress and his supposedly crippling student loans.

New thread title, please.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
LET’S READ THE KINGKILLER CHRONICLE CRITICALLY

Part 34: “It was the patient, cut-flower sound of a man who is waiting to die.”

Reading the prologue of Wise Man’s Fear, one has to ask: why even bother?

quote:

Dawn was coming. The Waystone Inn lay in silence, and it was a silence of three parts.

Did you think Kingkiller is good (you poor wretch)?

quote:

The most obvious part was a vast, echoing quiet made by things that were lacking. If there had been a storm, raindrops would have tapped and pattered against the selas vines behind the inn. Thunder would have muttered and rumbled and chased the silence down the road like fallen autumn leaves. If there had been travelers stirring in their rooms they would have stretched and grumbled the silence away like fraying, half-forgotten dreams. If there had been music . . . but no, of course there was no music. In fact there were none of these things, and so the silence remained.

Or did you find it lacking, but still wanted to see where things would go?

quote:

Inside the Waystone a dark-haired man eased the back door closed behind himself. Moving through the perfect dark, he crept through the kitchen, across the taproom, and down the basement stairs. With the ease of long experience, he avoided loose boards that might groan or sigh beneath his weight. Each slow step made only the barest tep against the floor. In doing this he added his small, furtive silence to the larger echoing one. They made an amalgam of sorts, a counterpoint.

Did you think there was some redeeming value under all this dross?

quote:

The third silence was not an easy thing to notice. If you listened long enough you might begin to feel it in the chill of the window glass and the smooth plaster walls of the innkeeper’s room. It was in the dark chest that lay at the foot of a hard and narrow bed. And it was in the hands of the man who lay there, motionless, watching for the first pale hint of dawn’s coming light.

Or did you think owed yourself to see it through to the end?

quote:

The man had true-red hair, red as flame. His eyes were dark and distant, and he lay with the resigned air of one who has long ago abandoned any hope of sleep.

Did you think Rothfuss would improve as a writer?

quote:

The Waystone was his, just as the third silence was his. This was appropriate, as it was the greatest silence of the three, holding the others inside itself. It was deep and wide as autumn’s ending. It was heavy as a great riversmooth stone. It was the patient, cut-flower sound of a man who is waiting to die.

He hasn’t. He helpfully signals this by repeating the same amateurish mistakes with this asinine formula.

The first chapter has characters awkwardly waiting for the story to begin, and looking around out of sheer boredom. Really.

quote:

Bast gave another sigh and began to pace the room. He moved with the casual grace of a dancer and the perfect nonchalance of a cat. But when he ran his hands through his dark hair the gesture was restless. His blue eyes prowled the room endlessly, as if searching for a way out. As if searching for something he hadn’t seen a hundred times before.

But there was nothing new. Empty tables and chairs. Empty stools at the bar. Two huge barrels loomed on the counter behind the bar, one for whiskey, one for beer. Between the barrels stood a vast panoply of bottles: all colors and shapes. Above the bottles hung a sword.

quote:

And then, abruptly, there was nothing left to do. Everything was ready. Everything was clean and orderly. The red-haired man stood behind the bar, his eyes slowly returning from their faraway place, focusing on the here and now, on the inn itself.

quote:

After that, the men made their way back to the common room, each on their own side of the bar. There was a moment of silence as Graham looked around the empty taproom. There were two fewer stools than there should be at the bar, and an empty space left by an absent table. In the orderly taproom these things were conspicuous as missing teeth.

What point is there to continue this loving read-through? Absolutely none. I could tell you about how boneheaded it gets, what new heights of aggrandizement Rothfuss will climb, what new juvenile embarrassment he will concoct next. But really, you’ve heard it all. There’s no point playing Vladimir and Estragon here. We can just let go. We don’t have to build this lovely franchise into some monstrous catastrophic anti-literature. It’s just an incredibly stupid yet ultimately banal fantasy series. Let’s move on.

I’ll tell you the ending to The Kingkiller Chronicle.

Next: Baudolino is no more

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Oct 16, 2016

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's pretty characteristic that absolutely nothing happens unless Kvothe is involved, the world is literally waiting for him to wake up. A book earlier I might have read it as some kind of hint or poke at the solipsistic nature of the story, but now... Meh.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
Hold on the third book for this poo poo still isn't out? Hahahahahahahaha

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

The Harry Potter parallels weren't warranted.

Now, the GRRM comparisons should probably start. I mean, Rothfuss already looks pretty gurmy.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Scent of Worf posted:

Hold on the third book for this poo poo still isn't out? Hahahahahahahaha

As pointed out, the turn-around on publishing means that unless the manuscript was ready by now, it won't be published next year either. So it's not out, and it won't be out next year, unless Rothfuss has simply kept its completion a secret.

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

As pointed out, the turn-around on publishing means that unless the manuscript was ready by now, it won't be published next year either. So it's not out, and it won't be out next year, unless Rothfuss has simply kept its completion a secret.

There's no way that a guy like him could keep that a secret. If he had finished it, he'd be shouting about it from the rooftops.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Because of this thread I read Baudolino, which was interesting and engaging. So, thanks Bravest of the Lamps!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

He's never gonna finish it because he's unable to finish any story. Even his stories in the story don't have endings.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Solice Kirsk posted:

He's never gonna finish it because he's unable to finish any story. Even his stories in the story don't have endings.

Hard to finish a story that has no beginning or middle.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Aquarium Gravel posted:

New thread title, please.

Patrick Rothfuss: the daily adventures of Some gently caress and his supposedly crippling student loans.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
I have nothing specifically negative to say about Patrick right now, but I want to contribute my general dislike for his 'literature'. So this is how I am doing that.

Benson Cunningham fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 17, 2016

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Benson Cunningham taking off the gloves!

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

nikitakhrushchev posted:

Patrick Rothfuss: the daily adventures of Some gently caress and his supposedly crippling student loans.

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

nikitakhrushchev posted:

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
https://twitter.com/patrickrothfuss/status/788759360696483840

We've reached acceptance.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I got to the point in the second book where he says "I had EXCITING PIRATE ADVENTURES on my way to Vintas but they're not interesting so i'm glossing over them"

And Chronicler got upset over ignoring a boring trial, but not the EXCITING PIRATE ADVENTURES? What the gently caress?

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Would you rather have exciting pirate adventures or a huge rear end chapter on becoming a sex god?

But I remember when I got to that point in the second book, it was like hate reading after that.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Malpais Legate posted:

I got to the point in the second book where he says "I had EXCITING PIRATE ADVENTURES on my way to Vintas but they're not interesting so i'm glossing over them"

And Chronicler got upset over ignoring a boring trial, but not the EXCITING PIRATE ADVENTURES? What the gently caress?

After Chronicler got upset over ignoring the boring trial, Kvothe totally owned him and put him in his place so he would know who's in charge of the story, so the next time Kvothe skips something Chronicler remains meekly silent for fear that Kvothe will give Old Cobb even more false memories of Chronicler's non-existent adventures somehow.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Old Cobb's got a head scratcher here. He remembers a taco of three parts. There was the shell of course, soft like the skein of gossamer stretched between our world and the fae. There was the meat, chorizo seared darker than a denner resin addict's teeth. And there were the fixings- such fixings that would cause a king to bend knee.

You got any of those tacos, innkeep?

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
The real problem is that neither of the books advance the plot. Kvothe never seems to use any of the skills he learns to do anything inside the narrative (like hunt the Chandrian which is supposedly his goal/motivation) and the whole framing device where Rothfuss is supposed to explore how legends come to exist doesn't go anywhere either.

Rothfuss doesn't like being a writer, he likes being a celebrity. I can't wait to see his fans turn on him when book 3 never comes out or comes out a decade from now and is terrible.

Benson Cunningham posted:

Old Cobb's got a head scratcher here. He remembers a taco of three parts. There was the shell of course, soft like the skein of gossamer stretched between our world and the fae. There was the meat, chorizo seared darker than a denner resin addict's teeth. And there were the fixings- such fixings that would cause a king to bend knee.

You got any of those tacos, innkeep?

Love it :golfclap:.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Oct 20, 2016

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

The real problem with the framing device and his tongue-in-cheek winks at "this isn't no fairy story!" is that we don't know the fairy story of it. We're plopped into this world and expected to give a poo poo about this Kvothe character without knowing even the incorrect deeds attributed to him. So while he's setting the record straight, we get the aforementioned Daily Life of Some gently caress.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
He'd have an easier time if he got someone to ghostwrite it for him.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

I don't know why it annoys me so much to see Rothfyss procrastinate and goof off when I know these books are bad. I still want the third one in spite of it all. :negative:

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Everyone who posts here is going to read and buy the third book. Much like the stealing of aztec gold, the only catharsis remaining for us is to see this through to the end.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Benson Cunningham posted:

Everyone who posts here is going to read and buy the third book. Much like the stealing of aztec gold, the only catharsis remaining for us is to see this through to the end.
Nope. I haven't even finished the second, will wait for the thread's version of events.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

You're in luck. As soon as I finish the second one, I'll angrily recap it for you and you can gloat over the misfortune while my spittle dries on the screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
Didn't see this one linked yet.

quote:

A Torch Against the Night author Sabaa Tahir jokes that Patrick Rothfuss saved her from writing a bad second book when it came time to follow up the success of An Ember in the Ashes. Rothfuss, of course, knows all about the pressure of writing sequels to successful debuts, as he is hard at work on the third novel in the Kingkiller Chronicle, after The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man’s Fear. The two sat down with Penguin Teen for an illuminating talk about fending off impostor syndrome, how to look at writer’s block as not something permanent, and potential epic beards for Kvothe.
https://www.tor.com/2016/10/18/patrick-rothfuss-talk-sabaa-tahir-kingkiller-chronicle-kvothe/

Hard at work, you say.

• Locked thread