Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

80s James Hetfield posted:

If the finals is Jeskai vs. Grixis control it's gonna be like 2 hours (or more)

inshallah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

i am glad of it

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Both decks have pretty beefy wincons so I imagine whoever falls behind will die fairly quickly.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

No it won't. It's Shota.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

shota and carlos also aren't that shithead GW aggro player from... i dunno one of the theros block pro tours that took loving forever to make any play

edit: here's a video of that fucker idiot Jackson Cunningham getting blown the gently caress out with the greatest golgari charm of all time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1ueErB8bms&t=2750s

Johnny Five-Jaces fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Oct 17, 2016

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

shota and carlos also aren't that shithead GW aggro player from... i dunno one of the theros block pro tours that took loving forever to make any play

shota is the exact opposite of jim davis except they both play control decks a lot

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

edit: here's a video of that fucker idiot Jackson Cunningham getting blown the gently caress out with the greatest golgari charm of all time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1ueErB8bms&t=2750s

i think this was his first pro tour ever....he lost to floch in the finals right? i don't think i've ever seen him place since PTM15

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

i don't think i've ever seen him place since PTM15

good

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
RELEASE THE KRAKEN horror.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
We've got grixis vs. jeskai in the finals. What a time to be alive.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Kind of crazy how Hull was almost in it till the end despite mulliganing hard and drawing poor early.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

RIP blue counters, card draw and instant speed effects.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Irony Be My Shield posted:

RIP blue counters, card draw and instant speed effects.

They never stood a chance in this NWO world

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
WOTC R&D is thinking "poo poo, I guess we better push green creatures even more"

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
ok, gonna be 4 hours at this rate. lmao

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
This is great, standard is great.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

uPen posted:

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

uPen posted:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

remember when carlos won worlds with the innovative strategy of "don't counter the draw spells in the mirror"

these guys are cool and good

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
The damage from unlicensed disintegration just got lethal in a control mirror.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

uninverted posted:

Wasn't actually relevant.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

uninverted posted:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

What was actually relevant was Summary Dismissal exiling Romao's own Avacyn trigger as he tried to protect it.

Shota's lethal rush that game was really cool, too. Go Wandering Fumarole.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Torrential Gearhulk is more than 30 bucks tcg lower at this point.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Shota is ridiculously good at this

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

This has been a masterclass.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
I like how Shota was first on the wrong end and then on the right end of the decking situation, and in both spots he was able to convert his position into a win. He's probably not even beatable in control mirrors at this point.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Rinkles posted:

Wasn't actually relevant.

It was, actually. Romao had the ability to resolve a single Immolating Glare when the stack cleared, and the Gearhulk only had 2 power after being hit by Dovin Baan. If it wasn't for the damage on Unlicensed Disintegration, he could have just killed a Fumarole and lived.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Sickening posted:

So, why did everyone consider Verduous the chase Gearhulk when SnapTitan exists?

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
There are going to be so many people jamming control after this PT after watching Shota masterfully run the finals. A win in a control mirror through a Planeswalker emblem.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Dehtraen posted:

There are going to be so many people jamming control after this PT after watching Shota masterfully run the finals. A win in a control mirror through a Planeswalker emblem.

Can't wait to beat lovely control players on modo with energy beats.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Voyager I posted:

It was, actually. Romao had the ability to resolve a single Immolating Glare when the stack cleared, and the Gearhulk only had 2 power after being hit by Dovin Baan. If it wasn't for the damage on Unlicensed Disintegration, he could have just killed a Fumarole and lived.

You're right.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Dehtraen posted:

Good thing most players suck at control.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

So, why did everyone consider Verduous the chase Gearhulk when SnapTitan exists?

Because its power level is pretty insane for standard and the masses didn't forsee all the different combo decks that would poo poo on g/w midrange.

Looks like green gearhulk is a great card without a decent home.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Rinkles posted:

This has been a masterclass.

shota is insane

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Dehtraen posted:

Honestly, I'd been thinking about it since I first saw Shota's deck now that I might be in a position to be able to start playing MtG again.

However

Sickening posted:

and the all other cards are a significant barrier when you're starting back from basically scratch (because there ain't no way I'm selling off legacy cards to play standard).

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

AlternateNu posted:

Because control looks like it should be terrible in this standard. Fatcaster is obviously an insane card but it didn't appear to have a ton of support.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Honestly, I'd been thinking about it since I first saw Shota's deck now that I might be in a position to be able to start playing MtG again.

However

and the all other cards are a significant barrier when you're starting back from basically scratch (because there ain't no way I'm selling off legacy cards to play standard).

Even the u/r fast lands are over 10 bucks. Now is not the time to try to buy into this deck if you like money at all.

I picked up thing in the ice and Wandering Fumarole before rotation when they were a few bucks each. Makes the burn of buying green gearhulks for 12 bucks each. Probably won't invest any more money in standard though and keep playing modern.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Dehtraen posted:

most of those people probably have the issue of not having much experience in the control mirror and also being not shota yasooka

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Sickening posted:

Even the u/r fast lands are over 10 bucks. Now is not the time to try to buy into this deck if you like money at all.

At least it's probably healthier for me and my wallet to continue to not play magic any more, so I'll be getting that out of being priced out.

• Locked thread