Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Tipps posted:

In a desperate move to further my career and start making more money, I am moving from Vancouver to Iqaluit in 2.5 weeks having landed a position that pays roughly double what I was making in the city. Cost of living increase aside, my partner and I see this as a good opportunity to work up north for a few years in order to save a decent 6-figure nest egg.

I've been banking with Coast Capital Savings in Vancouver for a few years now, but the only choices in Iqaluit are CIBC and RBC. My thinking was that I could make an account with one of those big guys and, after transferring 1000$/mo or something to my Coast Capital account for day-to-day purchases, I would use the CIBC/RBC account solely as a TFSA and RRSP dump.

Frankly, the thought of managing my savings myself via Questrade or eSeries makes me very anxious, so having a local branch to do it for me gives me peace of mind. That being said, the last time I posted in this thread, the response was universal that I was getting ripped off with Coast Capital's >2% MERs and I needed to get out of those mutual funds asap. (I did, now it's all just sitting in a plain TFSA)

Is this a dumb idea? Should I just switch over to CIBC/RBC completely, or not switch over at all and do it myself?

You should be more anxious about moving to Iqaluit.

Everyone should have their chequing with PC financial or Tangerine and their investments with TD or some other discount broker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Tipps posted:

In a desperate move to further my career and start making more money, I am moving from Vancouver to Iqaluit in 2.5 weeks having landed a position that pays roughly double what I was making in the city. Cost of living increase aside, my partner and I see this as a good opportunity to work up north for a few years in order to save a decent 6-figure nest egg.

I've been banking with Coast Capital Savings in Vancouver for a few years now, but the only choices in Iqaluit are CIBC and RBC. My thinking was that I could make an account with one of those big guys and, after transferring 1000$/mo or something to my Coast Capital account for day-to-day purchases, I would use the CIBC/RBC account solely as a TFSA and RRSP dump.

Frankly, the thought of managing my savings myself via Questrade or eSeries makes me very anxious, so having a local branch to do it for me gives me peace of mind. That being said, the last time I posted in this thread, the response was universal that I was getting ripped off with Coast Capital's >2% MERs and I needed to get out of those mutual funds asap. (I did, now it's all just sitting in a plain TFSA)

Is this a dumb idea? Should I just switch over to CIBC/RBC completely, or not switch over at all and do it myself?

1) Congrats on making the move! I hope you'll do a megathread about your experience.
2) Get a robo-advisor.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

namaste faggots posted:

1) Congrats on making the move! I hope you'll do a megathread about your experience.

Absolutely this.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
Day 2: my wife was eaten by a polar bear.
Day 3: finally worked up the courage to open a Questrade account!

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
I am not that nervous about the move itself because the job is amazing (basically my dream job), the salary is jaw-dropping compared to what I earned in Vancouver, and the benefits are great (including full medical/dental, paid housing, tons of "please don't go The Shining on us" vacation time, etc.). My new colleagues have also been very forward about all the different ways to save money on cost-of-living things, such as the benefits of having relatives in Ottawa who can do my costco shopping for me and ship it up using cargo services, and liberal use of amazon prime's free shipping to fly-in communities.

I am meeting with TD in an hour to open up a mutual funds account and begin the steps of converting it into an e-series account. Then I will transfer my TFSA and RRSP into it and set up monthly deposits while keeping my Coast Capital chequing account.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Free prime shipping to the Arctic holy gently caress

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

namaste faggots posted:

Free prime shipping to the Arctic holy gently caress

i bet it's this lovely 2 day prime tho, not the next day

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

the talent deficit posted:

i bet it's this lovely 2 day prime tho, not the next day

Come on, Amazon!! :argh:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
The new Amazon Prime - Arctic tier membership will soon include delivery by Blue Origin as part of Bezos' personal philosophy to never return profits to the shareholders.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
#1 rule of capital markets is never give it back

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

This is another good article about the implicit risks of buy and hold strategies and partially ties into why you don't always want to solely base allocations on market capitalizations.

tl;dr, as long as the pax americana persists we'll probably be sufficiently insulated from capital shock since US outperformance has provided most of the gains.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Guest2553 posted:

This is another good article about the implicit risks of buy and hold strategies and partially ties into why you don't always want to solely base allocations on market capitalizations.

tl;dr, as long as the pax americana persists we'll probably be sufficiently insulated from capital shock since US outperformance has provided most of the gains.

The basic just of it, that war is unpredictable and can destroy massive amounts of value is certainly true. There's not much you can do to hedge against it though really, other than to invest in canned beans, ammunition, and as much gold as you can hide up your rear end.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Are there any good low-fee chequing accounts out there, and is it worth it to switch to one? I'm currently with TD, but they're charging 10.95 monthly with the fee being waived if I maintain a 3000$ balance throughout the month. That seems awfully high to me, and I'd rather that 3000$ be invested in something.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Pop-o-Matic Trouble posted:

Are there any good low-fee chequing accounts out there, and is it worth it to switch to one? I'm currently with TD, but they're charging 10.95 monthly with the fee being waived if I maintain a 3000$ balance throughout the month. That seems awfully high to me, and I'd rather that 3000$ be invested in something.

Tangerine

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

cowofwar posted:

Tangerine

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Seconding Tangerine for no fees, their ABM network is through Scotiabank so unless you live in a rural or 1 bank town it should be sufficient.

Tarandis
Jun 16, 2012

Tipps posted:

amazon prime's free shipping to fly-in communities.

Don't count on that lasting - all the northern communities except Iqaluit got cut off a year and a half ago. It was ridiculously awesome until then. Amazon is something like $20/pound for me now. But I can do free shipping to Yellowknife and then $3.50/pound air freight, which works alright.

There's no bank here and I've been happy enough with RBC for chequing/savings. The main problem is getting cash - Northern Store fees are ridiculous, and the one ATM isn't much better, so I get what I need whenever I'm passing through Yellowknife. But if you have access to a branch then you'll be fine.

Some random financial tidbits:
-Your living allowance, if you get one, will count as earned income and increase your RRSP limit even further. So live cheaply enough to max out that extra space!
-The CRA really likes auditing people in the north, so keep good receipts for anything relating to the northern residents deductions: proof that you're renting or owning a house; number of days you reside in the north; and receipts and proof of travel for any personal or medical travel you take (up to 2 round trips per person per year to the nearest southern city, or the equivalent cost if you go somewhere else). For that last one, you technically need to use the "average standard flight cost" for your deduction but good luck finding that anywhere. I've yet to get the CRA or an airline to provide a number.

Other advice while we're at it: vitamin d, a happy light and/or sunrise alarm clock light, this coat (https://www.canadagoose.com/ca/en/summit-jacket-2071M.html), these boots (http://www.muckbootscanada.com/Product/22), and cross country skis or a kicksled with a sled dog to pull you are all highly recommended.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Haha I had no idea Canada goose had practical application.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
drat I'm sorry but if I were moving up north I'd spend the extra couple hundred and get a parka:

https://www.canadagoose.com/ca/en/men/parkas/

The fur around the hood supposedly is more than just for looks. Filters wind and blowing snow?

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

I've been using PC Financial for the past few months, and it's been treating me right so far. I signed up at the nearby Fortinos after work, and it was pretty drat easy. ATM's in most Loblaws stores, CIBC network, free cheques (which I still need to use for some reason), and not only do they not charge me fees out the rear end like my Scotia account, but there's even a minor interest rate on my chequing account. I even included their overdraft protection, which I was told would charge me only $4.50 if I went into overdraft, (but would cover the entire month), and it only charged me $0.22.

Tarandis
Jun 16, 2012

Rick Rickshaw posted:

drat I'm sorry but if I were moving up north I'd spend the extra couple hundred and get a parka:

https://www.canadagoose.com/ca/en/men/parkas/

The fur around the hood supposedly is more than just for looks. Filters wind and blowing snow?

It is a parka, actually! I think specifically a mountaineering one. The most expensive version is almost as much as the most expensive traditional expedition parka.

The heavier parkas are just that, heavy, and I found that I don't wear mine unless I'm going to be sitting or standing for a while. It basically only comes out for skidooing and for winter road driving (part of the breakdown kit).

I wear that light parka all the time because it is barely noticeable when I'm moving, walking, running, skiing, driving around town or going on a flight and is plenty warm enough. Two downsides - it probably gets worn out a lot faster (synthetic vs canvas) and I do need to accessorize to cover my face from the side-wind. This is the on-topic financially relevant part, cause all of this stuff is expensive.

Something like this might be appropriate, so you can support polar bears with your money as well as your flesh: https://www.canadagoose.com/ca/en/pbi-aviator-hat-5187MPB.html

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb
if you're concerned about staying super warp go and pick up an expedition parka (made for himalaya/polar mountaineering)

yertface
Dec 18, 2004
Optional Title Text
I have $2,000 sitting in VCE in my TFSA Questrade account. Right now its at -3.8% return. I was planning on just letting it sit there indefinitely until it rebounded to say 10% and then selling all of it to get away from CDN exposure. I had previously overexposed myself to Canada and have since changed my investment allocations.

I've been thinking recently that it could be a fairly long time before VCE rebounds significantly. Would it make more sense to just sell all of it now and reallocate the funds and just be done with it? Or wait it out until I get to a reasonable return and then sell? I wouldn't be dinged with the TFSA limit as I'm still building to maxing out my TFSA.

So it's not really big $$ amounts either way but would like to hear what the hivemind thinks.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
It's $76 jfc

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

yertface posted:

I have $2,000 sitting in VCE in my TFSA Questrade account. Right now its at -3.8% return. I was planning on just letting it sit there indefinitely until it rebounded to say 10% and then selling all of it to get away from CDN exposure. I had previously overexposed myself to Canada and have since changed my investment allocations.

I've been thinking recently that it could be a fairly long time before VCE rebounds significantly. Would it make more sense to just sell all of it now and reallocate the funds and just be done with it? Or wait it out until I get to a reasonable return and then sell? I wouldn't be dinged with the TFSA limit as I'm still building to maxing out my TFSA.

So it's not really big $$ amounts either way but would like to hear what the hivemind thinks.
Would you buy VCE today? If no, sell.

yertface
Dec 18, 2004
Optional Title Text
Yeah I wouldn't buy it today. Makes sense to prioritize the allocation than. Was just thinking that it falls in line with the mistake of "buying high, selling low" that lots of people fall in to, but that's not my reasoning for doing it.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

yertface posted:

Yeah I wouldn't buy it today. Makes sense to prioritize the allocation than. Was just thinking that it falls in line with the mistake of "buying high, selling low" that lots of people fall in to, but that's not my reasoning for doing it.
Yeah but holding on to something that you don't want in the hopes that it goes up is both timing the market and falling in to sunk cost fallacy.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You're not selling it, you're trading N units of VCE for M units of something else. Which do you expect to be more valuable in 5 years?

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

Anyone else manage to buy the dip last week? I shovelled $4000 into VXC after the dip last week and it seems to have paid off. 10 month high today!

This is about as exciting as index investing gets, folks.

I think the ups and downs are all CAD related.

Rick Rickshaw fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Oct 24, 2016

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Anyone else manage to buy the dip last week? I shovelled $4000 into VXC after the dip last week and it seems to have paid off. 10 month high today!

This is about as exciting as index investing gets, folks.

I think the ups and downs are all CAD related.

I noticed my US and international funds were suspiciously low and I put in another $1,500 each. I know I shouldn't watch them daily, but I like seeing numbers.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Did The Four Pillars of Investing go out of print? I can't find a new copy in stock anywhere.

Aagar
Mar 30, 2006

E/N Gestapo
I am talking to a mod right now about getting you probated/banned/gassed

Yeast Confection posted:

Did The Four Pillars of Investing go out of print? I can't find a new copy in stock anywhere.

Found this copy on Amazon.ca:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/ol/0071385290/ref=olp_page_next?ie=UTF8&startIndex=10

Also $24 on kindle.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

My local library had it.

If yours doesn't, call 'em and ask, they'll surely interlibrary loan that poo poo for you.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Thank you both! I'm slowly getting things in order to open baby's first investing account. I withdrew my TFSA from a financial advisor that was hosing me on MER and want to get it into a couch-potato style account by end of January.

Questtrade gets a lot of talk for doing your business with minimal fees. Is that the recommended institution for accounts?
Thinking of the pants-on-head-insane real estate sector and banks, how could I best prepare to soften the blow if it all goes tits up? Mind you I don't have any debt or a mortgage.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

My wife and I have two questrade accounts apiece and are happy with it. The free ETF buying is pretty awesome, the interface is simple to use and the account is easy to set up. They recently added an online security guarantee too for what that's worth. There's no 2FA and money can take a couple business days to transfer back and forth, but that's going to be true with most online brokers.

My general plan for riding the next wave down is to stay liquid and have enough cash to cover a few months expenses.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

Lately my transfers to Questrade have been next-day! I think only from Tangerine though. Transfers from CIBC still take two days.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

Guest2553 posted:

My general plan for riding the next wave down is to stay liquid and have enough cash to cover a few months expenses.

Do you keep emergency funds in a Questrade account as well? I know my TFSA is going to move, but thought my emergency savings should stay at the same bank as my chequing account.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Yeast Confection posted:

Do you keep emergency funds in a Questrade account as well? I know my TFSA is going to move, but thought my emergency savings should stay at the same bank as my chequing account.

There's always the option of HISAs which are basically treated like mutual funds, but Questrade does have transaction fees for those last I checked, so that kind of defeats the purpose. I'm keeping mine in Tangerine for now.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Yeast Confection posted:

Do you keep emergency funds in a Questrade account as well?

Nope, it's with my brick-and-mortar bank. Personally, I have both a savings and chequing account. The chequing holds minimum balance for free stuff plus a few weeks of expenses. The savings account holds the rest and is delinked from my bank card in case it becomes compromised. Between that and a credit card I could absorb a 20K hit without having to worry about living expenses. I'd probably have to sell some shares to avoid CC interest and put savings on hold for a few months, but I'd prettymuch have to lose a lawsuit to be in that kind of position since I don't own a home and have good medical coverage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

This looks like a handy blog/video series for those (like me six months ago) who are completely new to diy investing: How to Build an ETF Portfolio at [discount brokerage]