Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serf
May 5, 2011

Shanty posted:

And that other droid behind it doing a double take. These guys are scared out of their minds.

I never noticed that until just now. Wow.

Basically super battle droids think they're better than regular battle droids, and treat them as cannon fodder. I mean, in their minds, how could they not think they're better? They're called super battle droids!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
In their minds, lol. This loving retard.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Is it just me, or is he also drilling one of his own guys in the back after bashing the wounded droid? Check where he gets shot as he walks into the bigger guys line of fire.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If droids could think, we wouldn't be here, would we?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I can't get over how outraged rear end Catchum is that the rules of a fictional fantasy universe are wrong.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Zoran posted:

I can't get over how outraged rear end Catchum is that the rules of a fictional fantasy universe are wrong.

Whoah now! Don't go assigning him personhood, he's just words on a screen that sometimes seem to indicate a consciousness could have generated them. Be careful!

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The prequels are better than The Lord Of The Rings.

The robots, like R2D2 and C3PO, have distinct personalities despite being mass-produced. The same is true of the orks.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Prolonged Priapism posted:

a consciousness could have generated them

incorrect

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Are droids people?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

I said come in! posted:

Are droids people?

Yes, unlike Orcs, who are merely so much animate mud.

Seriously hosed up for Peter Jackson to invent a whole species of non-persons who're only fit to be killed, IMHO.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The prequels are better than The Lord Of The Rings.

The robots, like R2D2 and C3PO, have distinct personalities despite being mass-produced. The same is true of the orks.
Better what?

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

temple posted:

Better what?

better movies

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

They're literally birthed from subterranean factories, under the oversight of Christopher Lee.

This is a good observation. The brutish, steel-chested battle droids emerge from out of red-tinged openings in the earth leading up from hellish, subterranean spawning caverns, while the pure, white-clad clones descend from the sky messianically in a blaze of angelic light:

Yet another fantastic use of color and associational imagery by one George Walton Lucas, Esq.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Waffles Inc. posted:

better movies

Lord no.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
yeah just look at all those oscars the prequels won

also their vastly lower RT critic and audience scores

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm not sure I can buy Star Wars as better than Lord of the Rings - have to give it some thought - but this

Phi230 posted:

is evidence of popularity, not of quality.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Bongo Bill posted:

I'm not sure I can buy Star Wars as better than Lord of the Rings - have to give it some thought - but this

It's easier for me to make that claim, but that's as much because I found the Lords of the Rings movies to be largely dull as anything else.

Edit: dull might not quite be the right word. It's more the films were too drat long.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Oct 17, 2016

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Phi230 posted:

Dude. Come on.

I mean, how? How can you be like this? How can you make this post and not realize the folly inherent in it? And how can you keep doing it over and over again?

It's true. Almost everything interesting about the LOTR movies comes from its source material, and yet it never manages to measure up to that source material. They're mostly well-executed big-budget literary adaptations (with some frustrating flaws that become increasingly more apparent as the trilogy goes on) that are groundbreaking only in the sense that they did a thoroughly decent and commendable job with the absolutely incredible story, characters, and imagery that were handed to them on a silver platter by Tolkien and Ted Nasmith.

Andy Serkis's Gollum is the one thing that stands out as truly remarkable. But they gently caress up Gollum's arc in the end anyway by removing his defining moment of near total repentance and minimizing the role of Sam's lack of mercy shown towards him in his ultimate reversion to evil, which has got to be one of the worse squanderings of a cinematically historic performance in a film that I've ever seen.

The Eye of Sauron imagery in the films is another thing that stands out as rising above all the rest of the material (no pun intended), except when it goes from being quick abstract flashes of brooding evil overlaid with Satanic whispering in Frodo's mind to being a literal fire-ball on top of a tower that shoots sight-line laser beams across the countryside.

Otherwise, the LOTR movies just aren't anything special or ground-breaking cinematographically or storytelling-wise. Mostly, they're just riddled with mawkish cliché and a lack of intellectual curiosity about their own themes and characters, which are simplistic in a way which can only be overcome by the added cultural and ideological context provided by Tolkien's necessarily voluminous novel, a separate and much superior work.

I think the LOTR films will be remembered by future generations primarily for their pop cultural impact and technological achievements, while the prequels will be remembered as being unappreciated in their time for their unparalleled breadth of imagination and sheer ambition in terms of thematic depth, literary aspiration, and experimental storytelling techniques in a mainstream family space adventure movie.

You see this already now. No one has anything to say about the Lord of the Rings movies thirteen year down the line that hasn't already been said. People are still discovering new good things to say about the prequels and more than one serious, respectable film critic (that is, as opposed to a loud-mouthed YouTube personality) has hailed them as being among the most interesting and most original artistic achievements of the most recent generation.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Oct 17, 2016

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

It's easier for me to make that claim, but that's as much because I found the Lords of the Rings movies to be largely dull as anything else.

Edit: dull might not quite be the right word. It's more the films were too drat long.

The first two are epic in a classical, ponderous and weighty, sense which makes them quite long but Return of the King is just seemingly unwilling to ever end. Even AotC which is the most stuffed of 7 main-line Star Wars films is constantly moving, its just it has seemingly too much ground to cover which makes it take too long to resolve itself.

Thinking back on it, there is only one Lord of the Rings scene I genuinely really like while the Phantom Menace has two by itself so hrm.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Phi230 posted:

i agree that shakespeare in love was the best movie of 1998

the LOTR movies are good fun and pretty rad but in what way are they better than the prequels? score? plotting? special effects? cinematography? performances?

i would posit that hayden christiansen and ian mcdiarmid put in better turns in the prequels than do, say, orlando bloom and john rhys davies in LOTR

also say what you want about the prequels but at no point are they ponderous in pace like ROTK is

i want to just put this out there that it couldn't possibly matter less which series is better and I don't care that much but I don't think the prequels should be dismissed in comparison in such a facile way

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I don't really like the LotR movies myself but Lost in Translation totally deserved the Oscar over Return of the King. :colbert:

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Schwarzwald posted:

Yes, unlike Orcs, who are merely so much animate mud.

Orcs are twisted elves. They have a soul and it is elven. When they die, their soul waits in the same room as all the other elves. Just because they are evil, doesn't rob them of having a soul.

When a droid ceases to function, it's tossed in the garbage.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Freakazoid_ posted:

Princess Leia leaps into the garbage herself. Does she have a soul?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Freakazoid_ posted:

Orcs are twisted elves. They have a soul and it is elven. When they die, their soul waits in the same room as all the other elves. Just because they are evil, doesn't rob them of having a soul.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Rtu1Va-dnM

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Yeah, if I had to choose between rewatching all 3 Star Wars prequels or all 3 LOTR movies it'd be the prequels in a heartbeat. They're much more interesting, especially the production design.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
LotR does have a really intricate soundtrack. It's really great on that level:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7BkmF8CJpQ

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Lotr and the Hobbits are good movies, but def less so than the star wars. If we were to switch to books however, then it's the opposite case, by a much wider margin.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Jackson's Hobbit is the only one of these four trilogies I'd call bad, and even then it's an enjoyable bad.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

MonsieurChoc posted:

LotR does have a really intricate soundtrack. It's really great on that level:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7BkmF8CJpQ

Yes, that's another thing. The music for the LOTR films is fantastic for sure.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Which series has the better rip offs?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Does Eragon counts as a LOTR or Star Wars ripoff?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The MSJ posted:

Does Eragon counts as a LOTR or Star Wars ripoff?

Yes.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Waffles Inc. posted:

i agree that shakespeare in love was the best movie of 1998

the LOTR movies are good fun and pretty rad but in what way are they better than the prequels? score? plotting? special effects? cinematography? performances?

I want to just say "everything" but I don't know how to make it sound earnest and not like a shitpost. I love those movies.

quote:

Yeah, if I had to choose between rewatching all 3 Star Wars prequels or all 3 LOTR movies it'd be the prequels in a heartbeat. They're much more interesting, especially the production design.

Please do not put the LOTR films on in front of me right now, I can't not watch them and I have a lot to do.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Oct 17, 2016

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Bongo Bill posted:

Jackson's Hobbit is the only one of these four trilogies I'd call bad, and even then it's an enjoyable bad.

Yeah, they have too many :wtf: moments to be truly bad, but they really stretch out the plot worse than lotr. I'm not entirely sure how to feel about them, for every awesome thing (transform your child into crossbow!) there is something terribly lame (the dwarf-elf not-romance)

Definitely need to revisit them sometime when I have like 12 hours to kill

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Bongo Bill posted:

Agreed. I definitely still like and enjoy all the LOTR movies, they're just not near the top of my list in any category and I'd rather just read the books.

And I can't speak for most of The Hobbit trilogy. I saw the first one and didn't really like it so I didn't bother with the rest. I think I may be violating the infamous contrarian CineD hivemind on that one? Oh well, hopefully I'll be fine. As long as I don't bring up the fact that I don't really believe in Death of the Author and think this banner is kind of obnoxious.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Which series has the better rip offs?

Star Wars has The Force Awakens. The Lord of the Rings has Willow. Willow features Val Kilmer playing a cross-dressing Aragorn. Point goes to...

The Lord of the Rings. The Lord of the rings has the better rip-offs.

(Everyone should watch Willow by the way. It's just delightful.)

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I'm not sure if it's a ripoff of anything, but a lot of people where I lived went crazy for Cave of The Golden Roses back in the 1990s. It's by the same guy who directed the Demon movies, Lamberto Bava.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
The LOTR movies are better than the prequels. However, the Hobbit movies are much worse than the prequels.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

Cnut the Great posted:

imagery that were handed to them on a silver platter by ... Ted Nasmith.

Thank you for this, I've never seen these before. The movie's got a great balrog, though. Maybe it was just to hide the early 2000s CGI, but there's all this smoke and fire and the fire's lighting up the smoke, so the balrog is just this big, loosely defined shadowy figure in the midst of it. At least from what I remember, it's been awhile since I watched the movie, but I remember not getting a clear look at the balrog. Nasmith's balrog has a lot of similar imagery going on, but the balrog is depicted very clearly.

edit: Nevermind, those elements are all taken from various paintings by John Howe. Oh well.

ThePlague-Daemon fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Oct 17, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Spacebump posted:

The LOTR movies are better than the prequels. However, the Hobbit movies are much worse than the prequels.

The Hobbit films and the PT both take audience expectations into consideration. The difference is that the PT delivered a story that audiences definitely weren't expecting, while the Hobbit films made a story that audiences wanted and longed for.

Like really, the appeal of the LOTR films were special effects and large scale battles. The Hobbit films definitely provided that in spades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Pretty sure the appeal of LOTR wasn't just the large scale battles

I mean, maybe some mouth breathing prequelites liked them for similar shallow reasons...

The Hobbit was poo poo. But I'm talking about LOTR. Timeless films. Nobody remembers the prequels except in a way to either bash them, which is the true way, or to try and defend them or otherwise say "theyre not bad!!!!"

protip, if one of the only talking points you have is not how GOOD something is but rather how NOT BAD something is (IE defending something that cannot be defended) then maybe that thing is just...bad

• Locked thread