Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

algebra testes posted:

What was the story with Michigan/Rutgers? Like, this is a serious beatdown with fake extra point conversions in the first half and going for it on fourth and goal with a 30 point lead... ?

The story is that Rutgers is embarrassingly bad and quit in the first quarter. Michigan set a school record for rushing touchdowns, they hardly threw the ball at all and Rutgers couldn't tackle 4th string freshmen. They didn't get a first down until there were 9 minutes left in the game.

Michigan could have scored 150 if they'd wanted to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Additionally, Harbaugh is a petty rear end in a top hat who probably saw that Ohio State won 59-0 and wanted to one up them. He went for 2 when up by four touchdowns.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
What's the best source these days for mediocre Chinese knockoffs?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

What's the best source these days for mediocre Chinese knockoffs?

http://caflfootball.com/

oh wait, you probably meant jerseys

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I watched some football this weekend for the first time in years. I noticed the following items that were pink:

Shoes
Socks
Gloves
Wrist bands
Mouth guards
Chin straps
Arm sleeves
Upright pads
Whistles
Fan signs
Ads/logos
Towels
Shirts
Face paint
Things I didn't recognize

So, I take this to mean that the NFL really cares about women and their health. Can someone confirm?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

JoelJoel posted:

I watched some football this weekend for the first time in years. I noticed the following items that were pink:

Shoes
Socks
Gloves
Wrist bands
Mouth guards
Chin straps
Arm sleeves
Upright pads
Whistles
Fan signs
Ads/logos
Towels
Shirts
Face paint

So, I take this to mean that the NFL really cares about women and their health. Can someone confirm?

They care as much as a bracelet counts.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

JoelJoel posted:

Shoes
Socks
Gloves
Wrist bands
Mouth guards
Chin straps
Arm sleeves
Upright pads
Whistles
Fan signs
Ads/logos
Towels
Shirts
Face paint

You're supposed to be aware of breast cancer now. If you aren't, you need to watch more football.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

JoelJoel posted:

Shoes
Socks
Gloves
Wrist bands
Mouth guards
Chin straps
Arm sleeves
Upright pads
Whistles
Fan signs
Ads/logos
Towels
Shirts
Face paint

Sometimes boobs kill women.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

You ever see a dude in a pink shirt that says "FIGHT BREAST CANCER" and then you look closer and below that it says "CAUSE I LOVE SUCKIN' ON THEM TITTAYS"? The NFL is that in corporate form.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Deteriorata posted:

You're supposed to be aware of breast cancer now. If you aren't, you need to watch more football.

whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa

you're telling me there's such a thing a breast cancer? poo poo, I must have lived under a literal rock these last 35 years of my life!

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
The real question is when do we find out how much cancer paid the NFL for all these showy displays

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
The Chargers do a free mammogram thing every October and it's a Good Thing

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

a neat cape posted:

The Chargers do a free mammogram thing every October and it's a Good Thing

Maybe you should lose some weight fat boy

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Sash! posted:

whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa

you're telling me there's such a thing a breast cancer? poo poo, I must have lived under a literal rock these last 35 years of my life!

That explains all of your opinions.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
So last nights game made me think of an interesting scenario, anyone know how this gets resolved?

Team A has the ball on Team B's 10 yard line, 1st and goal. On the previous drive, Team B kicked a FG on their first possession of OT making the score 30-33. Team A throws a ball which is intercepted by Team B. Stupidly, Team B attempts to return the interception and in doing so retreats into their own endzone where they are tackled. A safety is awarded to Team A, bring the score to 32-33. Now my question is which of the following happens:

1. Game over, Team B wins.
2. Team B must perform the free kick, with that being the final play.
3. Team B performs free kick and Team continues until the end of their drive, after which the game ends.

Option 3 seems the least likely to me, but I am curious if any rules specifically reference this kind of scenario. Is the free kick something that must be done, like on an untimed down? I feel like given the nature of the play and how it comes about it should be.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
For there to be a safety there had to be a change in possession. Team B leads after 2 possessions... game over.

I think.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

swickles posted:

So last nights game made me think of an interesting scenario, anyone know how this gets resolved?

Team A has the ball on Team B's 10 yard line, 1st and goal. On the previous drive, Team B kicked a FG on their first possession of OT making the score 30-33. Team A throws a ball which is intercepted by Team B. Stupidly, Team B attempts to return the interception and in doing so retreats into their own endzone where they are tackled. A safety is awarded to Team A, bring the score to 32-33. Now my question is which of the following happens:

1. Game over, Team B wins.
2. Team B must perform the free kick, with that being the final play.
3. Team B performs free kick and Team continues until the end of their drive, after which the game ends.

Option 3 seems the least likely to me, but I am curious if any rules specifically reference this kind of scenario. Is the free kick something that must be done, like on an untimed down? I feel like given the nature of the play and how it comes about it should be.

I would assume it's game over. Both teams have had a possession, and team B leads. The interception was a change of possession and technically ended the game right there.

ETA: I don't think the game actually ends until the play is over, however. A modification of your scenario would be B intercepts the ball, and rather than going down tries to run it back. B fumbles the ball and A recovers on the run and returns it for a touchdown, giving A the game.

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Oct 25, 2016

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Possession has changed, but I don't know if the rules specify that in this instance the free kick must be performed since its possible for the score to change. In the case that the safety wins the game for a team, they can elect to not field the ball, because unlike a place kick, a free kick is not recoverable by the kicking team. But in this case, the safety does not win the game for the team scoring, so that is why I wonder if the free kick has to be done. As analogy, if a game is won on a TD as time expires, the extra point must be kicked even if the outcome of the game cannot be changed by making it, missing it, or having it returned for a point. I am wondering if the free kick falls under that type of rule set.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

e: nm, I'm dumb

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

e: nm, I'm dumb

Not talking college, but in college the inning system wipes that stuff out. That is why interceptions and fumbles that are not returned for a score do not affect the placement of the ball.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

swickles posted:

Possession has changed, but I don't know if the rules specify that in this instance the free kick must be performed since its possible for the score to change. In the case that the safety wins the game for a team, they can elect to not field the ball, because unlike a place kick, a free kick is not recoverable by the kicking team. But in this case, the safety does not win the game for the team scoring, so that is why I wonder if the free kick has to be done. As analogy, if a game is won on a TD as time expires, the extra point must be kicked even if the outcome of the game cannot be changed by making it, missing it, or having it returned for a point. I am wondering if the free kick falls under that type of rule set.

from here:

Note 1: If the second team loses possession by an interception or fumble, the down will be permitted to run to its conclusion, but if the second team’s possession has legally ended with the fumble recovery or interception, any subsequent action will not affect the outcome of the game. (If the change of possession occurs in the second team’s end zone, the score counts.)

Looks like they would not do the kick as that would affect the outcome of the game. In my modified scenario above, looks like the TD wouldn't count, either.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Stupid question about ties:

If a team finishes say 10-4-2, how would they rank against a team that was 11-5?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Blind Pineapple posted:

Stupid question about ties:

If a team finishes say 10-4-2, how would they rank against a team that was 11-5?

11–5 is ahead

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Wins is the first metric, but the next tie breaker is losses, which usually means going on to the next tie breakers, but in this case it doesn't.

ch1mp
Oct 4, 2004

Can anyone offer an explanation as to why, after every televised cowboys win, there is an immediate cut to an extended shot of Jerry Jones celebrating in the owners booth? Sure, broadcasts of other teams occasionally cut to a brief shot of the owner but nothing like they do with Jerry. Anyone else notice this? Personally, I find it annoying. Maybe I have answered my own question.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

There is a face of every organization. For the Cowboys, that's Jerry Jones. He's probably top ten in football personalities anywhere. So they cut to him for, I don't know, football equity reasons.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I've seen home teams penalized for actions of the crowd that sufficiently disrupt the game in other sports. For example, in the NHL the home team can be awarded a 2-minute delay of game bench minor if fans cause a sufficient play disruption by throwing things onto the ice surface.

Does the NFL have a similar rule and, if so, how many dildos would buffalo fans need to launch onto the field to be awarded a penalty?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Once the refs hosed the Cleveland Browns over so badly that the fans started pelting the field with bottles, and the refs called the game, and then the commissioner forced them to play it out so the Jaguars had to go out while being pelted with poo poo and kneel down.

So theoretically you could rain down upon the refs or opposing players / coaches with slimy dildos and there's a chance they'd have to keep going with the game.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

JoelJoel posted:

I've seen home teams penalized for actions of the crowd that sufficiently disrupt the game in other sports. For example, in the NHL the home team can be awarded a 2-minute delay of game bench minor if fans cause a sufficient play disruption by throwing things onto the ice surface.

Does the NFL have a similar rule and, if so, how many dildos would buffalo fans need to launch onto the field to be awarded a penalty?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XLQdUlK0_8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-teMkx2vgA

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Can you still get beer in bottles at games...? I'm genuinely surprised about that. Can't say I've ever been to a stadium in Australia that has any glass, most won't even do cans, just beer in plastic cups.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Windmill Hut posted:

Can you still get beer in bottles at games...? I'm genuinely surprised about that. Can't say I've ever been to a stadium in Australia that has any glass, most won't even do cans, just beer in plastic cups.

They're plastic bottles made to look like the real thing. They've been around for a while and are used at concerts and music festivals as well as sporting events.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Kalli posted:

Once the refs hosed the Cleveland Browns over so badly that the fans started pelting the field with bottles, and the refs called the game, and then the commissioner forced them to play it out so the Jaguars had to go out while being pelted with poo poo and kneel down.

So theoretically you could rain down upon the refs or opposing players / coaches with slimy dildos and there's a chance they'd have to keep going with the game.

Such cheaters deserved to have to endure the bottle storm

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
That outcome was good. And Al Lerner saying he didn't blame the fans a bit was good too

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Cleveland kind of has a history of drunken riots at sporting events.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeTpnOzoPdw

$0.10 in 1974 is equivalent to $0.51 today.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
I've done a bad thing and bought a knock off aliexpress jersey. How disappointed am I going to be? Anyone else bought a fake before and what were they like?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Serotonin posted:

I've done a bad thing and bought a knock off aliexpress jersey. How disappointed am I going to be? Anyone else bought a fake before and what were they like?

It's buried on page three, but check through the jersey thread if you want some idea/pictures of what you may end up with.

Short version is it can be kind of a crap shoot, but they usually end up pretty well, such as these Eagles uniforms 89 ordered or a silly Giants throwback I bought that I liked more than the official ones (With better stitching to boot). There are others in the thread that are also pretty good if you wanna dig through it. You can sometimes end up with something with bad stitching or colors or whatever, but usually for the price ($25 to $50) it's not a big deal compared to $100 to $300 for official stuff that can have the exact same problems anyway.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Makes me curious, how much do teams spend on an actual gameday jersey?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

fartknocker posted:

It's buried on page three, but check through the jersey thread if you want some idea/pictures of what you may end up with.

Short version is it can be kind of a crap shoot, but they usually end up pretty well, such as these Eagles uniforms 89 ordered or a silly Giants throwback I bought that I liked more than the official ones (With better stitching to boot). There are others in the thread that are also pretty good if you wanna dig through it. You can sometimes end up with something with bad stitching or colors or whatever, but usually for the price ($25 to $50) it's not a big deal compared to $100 to $300 for official stuff that can have the exact same problems anyway.

Cheers. I carefully looked at what was on offer compared to the official release ( Falcons Jones elite shirt in black ) and 28$ compared to 240 seemed a reasonable gamble. The pics of the fakes if indicative of what I receive seem ok. Plus I'm in the UK. No fucker will know the difference here

EDIT- well this has worked out well- the store I ordered from has vanished! Payment still processing but no idea if I will get my stuff.

Serotonin fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Nov 10, 2016

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

JoelJoel posted:

The NFL does have a Crowd Noise penalty, but it is only really meant for when a team is actively trying to get the crowd to be loud while there's action on the field. Sounds "under club control" have to stop when the play clock is running.

Additionally, there's the "palpably unfair act" rule, that says if a player is hindered by a "palpably unfair act", the officials can award pretty much any penalty, up to and including, a touchdown. (Basically, if a player jumps off of the bench and makes a tackle, the officials can decide if the player would have actually been legally tackled and award as much yardage as they want.) I guess if a visiting player was hit with a dildo, they could be awarded yards, and if they fell out of bounds tripping over a dildo, they could be awarded a touchdown if it was close to the goal line. If a pass was knocked out of the air by a flying dildo; I have no idea how they would handle that, but it would be a heck of a throw from the crowd to get a rubber dong into a passing lane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

CellBlock posted:

The NFL does have a Crowd Noise penalty, but it is only really meant for when a team is actively trying to get the crowd to be loud while there's action on the field. Sounds "under club control" have to stop when the play clock is running.

Additionally, there's the "palpably unfair act" rule, that says if a player is hindered by a "palpably unfair act", the officials can award pretty much any penalty, up to and including, a touchdown. (Basically, if a player jumps off of the bench and makes a tackle, the officials can decide if the player would have actually been legally tackled and award as much yardage as they want.) I guess if a visiting player was hit with a dildo, they could be awarded yards, and if they fell out of bounds tripping over a dildo, they could be awarded a touchdown if it was close to the goal line. If a pass was knocked out of the air by a flying dildo; I have no idea how they would handle that, but it would be a heck of a throw from the crowd to get a rubber dong into a passing lane.

Thank you.

Also, I hope the home team immediately signs the fan who manages to hit a pass mid air with a dildo. IIRC there's a baseball kid's movie with roughly this premise.

• Locked thread