Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadonra
Oct 16, 2012

Overwined posted:

Well, my goal was to get to sdk by the end of the year and I'm already at a solid 10k on OGS. I need to do more reading and more exercises as I've felt the difficulty curve steepening. My biggest problem is that I'm David when fighting stronger players and Goliath when fighting weaker ones. I can often redeem myself with hard fighting (like in this game where I was dumb and let him build a big central moyo, but was able to exploit his fighting weaknesses to gain the lead), but this can't be a smart way to proceed.

Don't be afraid of scamming games via fighting hard. That's a good thing for improvement, not a bad thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

I disagree

impulse 7 effect
Jun 2, 2011
Into the unknown for you might or might not be into the unknown for the other player. Playing moves that are obviously not game-enders can't at all be bad for fun.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

I've been playing more go

I've been waking up early and while I'm still sleepy I'll just queue up a blitz game on OGS before my addled brain can come up with an excuse not to play. It's real fun! Although the 5s byo-yomi is pretty severe, I'm surprised with how much thinking can still happen on each turn. It's also training me not to just zone out completely when it's not my turn because I need that valuable time to evaluate the board.

I've heard blitz can lead to bad habits etc but for now it's actually getting me to play at all, which is better than nothing?

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Thanks, I'll check that out.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
i learned a new move recently

never knew this was a thing

also re corner invasions, ask stronger players! take your gamer record where you lost a corner, or let your opponent have a big corner, and ask how you could have invaded/defended it.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Speaking of books, I think someone linked a pdf of Attack and Defense in this thread some pages ago, but I can't find it. Does anyone have it handy? I think it's out of print, but if my request isn't kosher, then my bad.

Also, I need a reinvite to ITGO, please. KGS username is HamOfTruth. Thanks.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
not out of print :)

https://shop.gogameguru.com/attack-and-defense/

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I've been looking for this book! But it's ~$40 on Amazon. Thanks for the link!

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

I just played my first live game in quite a few months on KGS and learned two salient facts about my game:

1.) I cannot live without OGS's analysis now and I think that makes me a weak player.
2.) Boy howdy do I suck at go.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
nah you just need to warm up your brain into think fast mode, after a few games you'll get the hang of it again.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
fuseques made a server for hexagon go. its hard only having 3 liberties lol:

https://hecks.space/play

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

elementc posted:

Fear not for ITGO is risen anew like a phoenix! We are also categorized as a club this time!
KGS ITGO was deleted for inactivity again.
Long live ITGO, I guess.

Xom fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 15, 2018

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Attack & Defense is a real good book

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Overwined posted:

Attack & Defense is a real good book

I don't like it as much as Fundamentals. If anything I feel like it has too many diagrams and too little accessible explanation behind how to think correctly. Maybe it's just me though, maybe my brain isn't well suited to A&D.

impulse 7 effect
Jun 2, 2011

Pander posted:

I don't like it as much as Fundamentals. If anything I feel like it has too many diagrams and too little accessible explanation behind how to think correctly. Maybe it's just me though, maybe my brain isn't well suited to A&D.

Seriously, if you want brutal 'I will eff you you' documentation - check out that vol2 of Yoon's, '100 tips for amateur players 2'. It's brutal in how it just show straight up punishes.

Attack and Defense is like the beginner's version of 'Kageyama's Secrets of handicap Go' - just go and eff up the dude you playing and this is how

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

impulse 7 effect posted:

Seriously, if you want brutal 'I will eff you you' documentation - check out that vol2 of Yoon's, '100 tips for amateur players 2'. It's brutal in how it just show straight up punishes.

Attack and Defense is like the beginner's version of 'Kageyama's Secrets of handicap Go' - just go and eff up the dude you playing and this is how

I guess my issue is that I can understand why the diagrammed moves are chosen generally, but I don't have confidence in knowing how/how much to press an attack afterward, which is generally glossed over. "After pincering here, you can then get him trapped in a ladder five moves later" <--- the kind of poo poo that loses me.

impulse 7 effect
Jun 2, 2011

Pander posted:

I guess my issue is that I can understand why the diagrammed moves are chosen generally, but I don't have confidence in knowing how/how much to press an attack afterward, which is generally glossed over. "After pincering here, you can then get him trapped in a ladder five moves later" <--- the kind of poo poo that loses me.

Direction of Play is your next book :)

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

I have a bad feeling about this...
I've decided to stop being an entirely casual slacker and actually learn some stuff, so I ordered the Elementary Go series. Are they best read in order, or does it not matter too much?

Athanos
Sep 19, 2006
I'd say volumes 3-6 are the only ones you need to read. Tesuji and attack and defense are the two you should read imo.

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

Athanos posted:

I'd say volumes 3-6 are the only ones you need to read. Tesuji and attack and defense are the two you should read imo.

Endgame is actually quite good, too, though not as "sexy" in terms of learning how to make flashy plays as Tesuji or Attack and Defense.

Athanos
Sep 19, 2006

Borachon posted:

Endgame is actually quite good, too, though not as "sexy" in terms of learning how to make flashy plays as Tesuji or Attack and Defense.

Whoops, I actually meant to say read those two first. Endgame was included in the books in the series I thought he should read.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Just caught up on this, looks like community is healthy on Discord

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

So I've been playing a stronger player in person at a local Go club at a 6 stone handicap, more recently 5. Many of our games start like this:

or

In the first case I tend to take a point like A and try to invade later at B and build outside thickness. In the second case I've tried things like E5 and C3 but I never seem to get a great result. How should I be thinking about these two situations? Is there a better way to handle them? I'm a 9k on KGS in case that's at all relevant.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Athanos posted:

Whoops, I actually meant to say read those two first. Endgame was included in the books in the series I thought he should read.

How's Life and Death? I've been doing life and death problems for forever but I am still awful at them, and I often make stupid mistakes in game leading to me losing / not capturing groups which should have been a sure thing.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Being a weak go player is hard. I still feel terror come on when during endgame my opponent starts playing speculative invasions

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

VikingofRock posted:

How's Life and Death? I've been doing life and death problems for forever but I am still awful at them, and I often make stupid mistakes in game leading to me losing / not capturing groups which should have been a sure thing.

tsumego.tasuki.org

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

AdorableStar posted:

tsumego.tasuki.org

I feel like I need something more than just trying to solve problems--like I'm missing some life and death fundamentals or something. So that's why it seemed interesting to have a book on Life and Death that wasn't just a collection of problems.

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

HummedExplosions posted:

In the first case I tend to take a point like A and try to invade later at B and build outside thickness. In the second case I've tried things like E5 and C3 but I never seem to get a great result. How should I be thinking about these two situations? Is there a better way to handle them? I'm a 9k on KGS in case that's at all relevant.

In the first case, A is somewhat small - you're being greedy for a corner territory when the game is going to happen in the middle, and that corner is still invadeable. At the top, I'd favor K16 instead, so that if w comes into the top, he's already pincered. At the bottom, the one space extension on the left instead of the knight's move would put you in a better place to play B later. Again, you're being greedy for territory when the middle is where the game is going to happen.

In the second case, E5 is the right move. What's your opponent doing that leads to a bad result?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
played as a 5k at the seattle go center 21st anneversary tournament. there were lots of cool prizes including books and equipment for the winners of each bracket

i lost all three games

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

totino boy posted:

played as a 5k at the seattle go center 21st anneversary tournament. there were lots of cool prizes including books and equipment for the winners of each bracket

i lost all three games

Three steps closer to the "Lose 10k Games" cheevo.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Was browsing random on the reddit thing and found a good post with lots of links that should probably be incorporated to the OP:

https://www.reddit.com/r/baduk/comments/4c8xs5/learning_links_for_newcomers_after_alphago/

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I played a game that troubled me today:

https://online-go.com/review/193149

I won, but not really: I'm rated 1 stone weaker than my opponent, so there was no komi. My opponent played an even worse opening than I do and followed it up by fighting like a madman, but I wasn't able to do anything to stop him.

Anyone mind giving it a look-over? I'm only 15k, so it should be easy to find lots of blunders. I wrote my own notes in the review above.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
move 21 should have double approached the corner at r6ish area, take advantage of the giant wall you just got and attack at the same time.
move 37 i would have approached the bottom left here, or maybe played at d10, or moved back to attack the lone stone he left in the bottom right. those two stones in the upper left that you gave up sente to save arent that important.
move 45 wayyy to small an extension. approach the bottom left!
51 useless, approach the bottom left or attack the stone on the bottom right

tired of reading for now maybe i'll post again later

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Black 11 is the move I'd play, too. The solid connection at p16 is also thinkable. See also http://senseis.xmp.net/?44Point33InvasionWReversePlayingOrder#toc

Black 17 is small. The shape point at n17 is largeurgent.

I agree with totino boy that Black 21 is the wrong direction, and that B r6 would've been good. Though personally I would've kept pushing at m17 because it's "good enough" and I'm too lazy to actually think beyond that.

Black 47 is small.

q4 is a notable shape point btw.

Black 97 at j14 instead would've been slightly more threatening to White's cutting stone h13.

Black 103 should've turned at f12.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Thanks for the review!

I had no idea you could ignore a low approach to a 4-4 stone. Good to know that's a reasonable move, and that to respond to it, a double approach is often good.

I need to remember that moves in the opening are big, and therefore it's fine to tenuki even if I lose a stone or two.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Thanks for the review Xom!

I played Black 47 to protect against the cut at P16. Looking again, I think I see the direct cut doesn't work.

What do you mean when you say that q14 is a shape point? I see that if Black plays 47 at q14, White finds it very hard to attack that group. Are you suggesting Black should have played 47 at q14? Or just that I should have kept q14 in mind, and played it if possible at some point later on?

In retrospect, it's ridiculous for me to be afraid of White 104 at A19. White has to win like three different kos in order for that move to do anything. Thanks for pointing that out.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
It's basic instinct to hane against an attachment. So the lower right is an urgent move waiting to be played by either player. B q4 or W s3 would be the natural next move.

You could say that most of those basic instincts are about shape points.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I'm an idiot and read q4 as q14

I was wondering why you were saying q14 was worth playing at that point...

Yeah it makes sense that B q4 would be really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Guys I did it

I finally lost the ? in my KGS rank. I beat LibertyBot [15k] and am now an official [14k], which I think is a huge over-estimate of my rank but w/e!

Now I'll hopefully have a better chance of getting matches on KGS. Feels good y'all