Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Anyone have a good source for console/handheld shells? I'm looking to re-case my DS Lite and my girlfriend's DSi and also maybe my Wii because they're all beat to poo poo. I'd prefer if somewhere had the painfully rare TWEWY shells but I'm flexible.

It's mostly been ebay for that type of stuff. Any online retailer is pretty much using the same stock for the most part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Did that person who was going to make replacement SFC tops to fit SNES carts ever get around to doing it or is it vapor? I wish SNES to SFC adaptors were more common.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Djarum posted:

Did that person who was going to make replacement SFC tops to fit SNES carts ever get around to doing it or is it vapor? I wish SNES to SFC adaptors were more common.

Sir, you can take a Dremel to those tabs inside the console and never have to worry about it.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Star Man posted:

Sir, you can take a Dremel to those tabs inside the console and never have to worry about it.

That's SFC-->SNES. He wants to go backwards.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Star Man posted:

I think he means a replacement top for the SFC that would let SNES carts fit in (they are too big/the wrong shape and there is no tab removal solution for the SFC to play SNES games).

Which actually sounds pretty rad and I would grab one because I love the SFC hardware.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Djarum posted:

The Nakitek Game Saver+ works as a passthrough on SFC and can even do the special chip games. Only downside is it has a US AC passthrough which you could hack in yourself or just throw a US pcb in your SFC which is what I ended up doing.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Monopthalmus posted:

I think he means a replacement top for the SFC that would let SNES carts fit in (they are too big/the wrong shape and there is no tab removal solution for the SFC to play SNES games).

Which actually sounds pretty rad and I would grab one because I love the SFC hardware.

You are correct. There was a guy l think it was the same one who does the 3D printed multi AV port for the NES was working on a replacement top but that was months ago and to be honest I don't always keep up to date with that stuff as I should.

Adaptors are strangely really hard to find and extremely expensive for being nothing but a passthrough. I am utterly amazed someone hasn't made some up since it would take a weekend and cost next to nothing.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
If you are good with the dremel, cutting a bigger hole can look pretty good as long as there is a cartridge in it.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

That's SFC-->SNES. He wants to go backwards.

Monopthalmus posted:

Hi I'm stupid

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Anyone have a good source for console/handheld shells? I'm looking to re-case my DS Lite and my girlfriend's DSi and also maybe my Wii because they're all beat to poo poo. I'd prefer if somewhere had the painfully rare TWEWY shells but I'm flexible.

Try Retrogames.co.uk's Basement section. They have damaged stuff for cheap, and you might find a dead console or two to gut for the casing there.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Rirse posted:

Yeah I probably would skip that then, as NES isn't a graphical powerhouse to be worth the trouble to make it look slightly better.

Boy, you are so wrong about this. The jump from composite to RGB on NES/Famicom is not "slightly better", it's a whole new universe of quality, sharpness and vibrance. I guarantee your jaw will drop and you will weep tears of 8-bit joy seeing it live. Worth every penny.

I can post some pics later but my G4 phone cam doesn't do them justice. Check out Monitor Burn's thread as well.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Oct 17, 2016

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Try Retrogames.co.uk's Basement section. They have damaged stuff for cheap, and you might find a dead console or two to gut for the casing there.

Eh, no offense to them but I'd rather take my chances on TaoBao/Aliexpress because I'd like to have new buttons. Also I was kinda looking for something ultra gaudy because I have gone to a place where I have nostalgia for that trashy mid 00s ULTRA HARDCORE GAMERZZ aesthetic.

TeaJay posted:

Boy, you are so wrong about this. The jump from composite to RGB on NES/Famicom is not "slightly better", it's a whole new universe of quality, sharpness and vibrance. I guarantee your jaw will drop and you will weep tears of 8-bit joy seeing it live. Worth every penny.

I can post some pics later but my G4 phone cam doesn't do them justice. Check out Monitor Burn's thread as well.

Or just look at some of the footage from Jeremy Parish's Good Nintentions series:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSssHzHam_o

He's pretty much the only guy doing one of those Chrongaming things that actually is capturing on original hardware with high quality output (same with his Gameboy world stuff) it's really apparent when you look at it because it actually LOOKS like an NES running on a real TV.

El Estrago Bonito fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Oct 17, 2016

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

He's pretty much the only guy doing one of those Chrongaming things that actually is capturing on original hardware with high quality output (same with his Gameboy world stuff) it's really apparent when you look at it because it actually LOOKS like an NES running on a real TV.

Gotta check that out as well.

I've been wanting to get into live streaming my RGB consoles but I just haven't got around getting all the necessary equipment. (the capture card would be a start...)

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Or just look at some of the footage from Jeremy Parish's Good Nintentions series:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSssHzHam_o

That's maybe the only video I've watched that has made me want to go through the supreme hassle of purchasing and installing an NESRGB in one of my spare Nintendo front loaders. I'd end up just doing the component jack (haven't gone full :retrogames: for an SCART or anything), but man, that poo poo scares the hell out of me.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

So after more than a month of playing off and on, I have finished Final Fantasy 8 and I have opinions:

It's completely terrible.

I'm not the biggest Final Fantasy fan, and I haven't played the most recent entries in the series, but I think this is a real contender for worst game in the series. Famicom 3 is still really awful, but at least it doesn't drag on forever with really, really, really slow expository cut scenes (hang on, have to play this ten second animation of the character making a gesture after every sentence).

Every single system in the game is broken from a game design perspective. There isn't a thing in it that isn't either absurdly easy to abuse or completely irrelevant. Let's see, I can spend one of my precious three menu slots on a command for particular situations, or I can just use one of the other abilities that can do the same thing only with more options. Junctioning seems to be balanced on the assumption that players wouldn't choose to take the really obvious path to more power.

And for a game that drags on so long, it seems to have hardly any content. Not counting bosses, it feels like there's about twenty monsters in the game total. There's only a handful of places where any exploration is useful. It doesn't help that there's no real feeling of progression in the characters; they're not collecting new equipment and the only distinction among them is in the limit breaks (another system that's hilariously broken).

I don't think I have to mention how insanely stupid the story is (it's a Final Fantasy game, after all), but I have to say that it feels like it was assembled patchwork from a dozen different stories and badly stitched together when they realized they'd have to release something. And then it just kind of lurches to an ending because that's a point where the game has to stop.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Why are the NES mods so expensive anyway? Also can you use component with the NES if you don't have a RGB tv through a special cable, or that mod only works for RGB?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
You're basically rebuilding the NES with a NESRGB, taking off the PPU entirely and putting it on the NESRGB PCB.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rirse posted:

Why are the NES mods so expensive anyway? Also can you use component with the NES if you don't have a RGB tv through a special cable, or that mod only works for RGB?

NES mods are expensive because you're either sourcing chips from arcade boards or you're fabbing new chips from small-run batches. Then you're doing some difficult soldering that you don't wanna gently caress up. Parts + Labor.

You can use component cables as RGB cables AFAIK, but no there's no component from NES, you're gonna need something that can process that RGB signal.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Random Stranger posted:

So after more than a month of playing off and on, I have finished Final Fantasy 8 and I have opinions:

It's completely terrible.

I agree with pretty much everything here, but I love the game. Yes it's completely trivial to break the game over your knee within the first hour but the story is cool and interesting for the first 2 discs (I like political intrigue in Final Fantasy, FF12 is one of my favourites) then completely batshit once it goes off the deep end on disc 3. However it also was the Final Fantasy game I grew up with most so that might colour my opinions somewhat. I also feel no real need to go off and play through it ever again after I did a game breaker run a few years ago.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
FF8's last disc is a disaster but I thought the first disc was all pretty compelling, if messy at times. The setting is pretty unique and the characters are cool, though angsty.

The graphics are a huge improvement over FF7's popeye-arms and there's some real creative ideas in there.

Overall though I've always considered FFX to be what FF8 should have been.

I'm probably also biased based on growing up with it though. But what FF isn't that true of? (Ones you didn't play personally, I guess)

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Nostalgia bias is certainly a thing, I've been playing FF6 on my RetroPie the last week and it hasn't been grabbing me at all as someone who never played the SNES Final Fantasy games as a kid (Sega kid, Phantasy Star). I'm pretty much pushing through to see the opera scene then I'll probably drop it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

njsykora posted:

Nostalgia bias is certainly a thing, I've been playing FF6 on my RetroPie the last week and it hasn't been grabbing me at all as someone who never played the SNES Final Fantasy games as a kid (Sega kid, Phantasy Star). I'm pretty much pushing through to see the opera scene then I'll probably drop it.

:negative:

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

My first final fantasy is 10 (and also my first ps2 title. The graphics blew me away) and I probably like it the most. So yeah might be easy to be biased when its your first.

I did play 7, 8 and 9 next and I liked 8 the least.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

njsykora posted:

There was just something about how FF6 looked on a huge (for the time) CRT with a good sound system. I grew up on Phantasy Star and still think PS4 is the best 16-bit RPG, but something about FF6 seemed so sprawling and cinematic.

I can't play it as much now because it's piss easy but when I was in 4th grade it was insane how obsessed with it I got.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

On the other hand I'm replaying 7 and hoooly poo poo I've forgotten what a weird game it is. I just arrived at the Temple of the Ancients where Aeris (no, leave me alone) falls face first into the ground speaking in tongues. At the edge of the frame a man in a black cloak exits the temple and also collapses with no response at all to the main characters who are "wtf'ing" over Aeris. Then when you speak to the cloaked man he whispers a nebulous task before lifting off into the sky like Poochy.

It's also very strange how over time people basically mix up Tifa and Aeris personality, and Kingdom Hearts is responsible for flip flopping Cloud and Squall's.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Part of the nostalgia for FF6, I'd imagine, is that it was a huge visual leap from previous games in the series. FF4, the previous US release, hews a lot closer to the NES era visually then it does the SNES, wheras FF6 introduced more animated and expressive party members, more detailed monsters, dramatic visual effects and backgrounds based off of digitised photographs.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I certainly see the visual leap having played FF3 and 5, I heard the FF6 sprites referred to as 16-bit actors once due to their increased expressiveness.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

It really is amazing how much emotion they're able to express with just 16-bit sprites and a few animations. FF6 and Super Mario RPG both do a ton of pantomime that really sells the charm. Especially Mario who is entirely silent.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Zaphod42 posted:

It really is amazing how much emotion they're able to express with just 16-bit sprites and a few animations. FF6 and Super Mario RPG both do a ton of pantomime that really sells the charm. Especially Mario who is entirely silent.

I think that is something that JRPGs, especially Square, lost over the next years. Once they started going to full voice acting you lost tons of emotion and connections to characters.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
so many bad opinions :psyduck:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Caitlin posted:

so many bad opinions :psyduck:

I stand by my opinion that FF8 is terrible. :v:

Final Fantasy as a series stretches over such a range of time and every entry has its own set of problems that there's always going to be people who call a particular entry the worst and those who think that same entry is brilliant. There is no consensus at all when it comes to FF.

But people who love FF8 are wrong and should be kept away from positions of authority lest they spread this idea.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Random Stranger posted:

But people who love FF8 are wrong

No you t:mad:

I like FF8, moreso after reading the LP of it that's going on currently. It has a weird and at times completely ridiculous plot, but it has some great stuff going on, drat it. :smith:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Zaphod42 posted:

NES mods are expensive because you're either sourcing chips from arcade boards or you're fabbing new chips from small-run batches. Then you're doing some difficult soldering that you don't wanna gently caress up. Parts + Labor.

You can use component cables as RGB cables AFAIK, but no there's no component from NES, you're gonna need something that can process that RGB signal.

Playchoice gutting was fortunately scaled back with the advent of the NESRGB. Though it was a little late because whatever PPU's have been gutted and are being sold on eBay now will most likely not find their way back into another Playchoice.

I hate destructive mods like that. :smith:

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Rirse posted:

As mentioned on the last page, those Retrovision component video cables should work with the NESRGB mod (so long as you use an SNES cable and also have an SNES-style multi-AV out connector installed into your NES with the mod board). As others have mentioned, the NESRGB mod involves purchasing some custom small-batch boards and having some circuit surgery and transplanting done inside the console. It looks like the guy who makes the NESRGB also has a component video board on his shop that can be installed with the mod, for what that's worth.

The thing to keep in mind is that those Retrovision cables aren't "dumb" cables that just carry a signal. They include a little PCB to convert the regular RGB video signals sent out from the console into the lower-bandwidth "component video" form that consumer TVs use. If there's no RGB output from the console, then there's nothing to convert. It's why the Retrovision folks mention that their cables don't work "as-is" with the SNES Mini; when Nintendo made that revision of the SNES, they didn't wire up the S-Video and RGB video to the console's AV out port.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Random Stranger posted:

I stand by my opinion that FF8 is terrible. :v:

I believe this opinion. I thought some of the game-y stuff was ok (even the card game once I figured it out), but the story, characters, and graphical style were all poo poo and they failed to make me care about any of it. This was where the series lost me. FF9 was good (if a little weird), though.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I've never played FFVIII (despite owning it on Steam), but I have played the card game (Triple Triad) by virtue of its inclusion in FFXIV and it's pretty fun, yeah.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I loved VIII. It wasn't my first Final Fantasy. I played VII and VI beforehand, but it was the first one I had pre-ordered and got new. I also had it while my parents were going through a messy divorce, so while they were fighting I'd just play it non-stop. It's the last final fantasy I 100% ed

Also I got my gba micro famicom edition in the mail, and the screen is way more scratched then the pictures let on. Any advice on de-scratching? Or just live with it?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

So here's something I was just thinking about (which means it's a pre-caffeine thought, which means it may be dumb)

Since the Genesis could run Master System games with an ultra-basic passthrough, and the Game Gear basically WAS a Master System, why did Sega never consider (or, if it was considered, never put on the market) the equivalent of the Super Game Boy, allowing Game Gear games to be played on a TV?

Instead we get the Game Gear TV tuner.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."
Quick question. How would I be able to use headphones with a SNES. I have a PC monitor with a composite input for video only. This means that the two audio cables are left hanging and I'm unable to listen to the games I'm playing. Is there a cable I can buy with an audio adjuster that hooks up to these cables where I can connect headphones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Game Gear's video is actually a bit better than the Genesis's; 4096 for Game Gear, 512 for Genesis.

Granted, the Genesis can show more of those colors at the same time, but moot point if the Game Gear can show colors the Genesis simply can't.

• Locked thread