Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

What's the purpose of the ammo counter on the chainsaw?
It's how long you can have it revved. (Which is a real long time considering.)

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Oct 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Jesus christ, running into a pack of mobs with a laser chainsaw sword and just obliterating them, then vanishing AND DOING IT ALL OVER AGAIN is incredibly satisfying. gently caress.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Heads up if you play co-op, back up your save regularly because it could get wiped

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Digirat posted:

Heads up if you play co-op, back up your save regularly because it could get wiped

Thought that recent patch fixed that, but it's good to know to avoid co-op for now.

Good thing single player is fun enough though! The blend of ranged options, abilities, and speeds with some robust melee weapons is just really great. Works so well together too. I really enjoyed the first one and I think in terms of game play, this is really on point.

The story/writing is pretty fun too and I think the intentional cheese is well executed.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

electrigger posted:

Is there any rhyme or reason to the crafting? It looks like you pretty much jump in quality one or two steps but i've tried things like using 3 toxic gems to make a better toxic gem but it gave me cold instead, etc.

It's completely random.

The only sure thing is that your gem will increase in quality.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
I hope in an upcoming patch they add the ability to save co-op progress to your local game.

Been co-oping with my friend 95% of the time with him being the host and it sucks not having access to the forge/craft thing unless I join his game

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It's completely random.

The only sure thing is that your gem will increase in quality.

You have control over elemental gems. Aptly if you slam 3 gems of the same element and quality together you get a higher quality gem of that element. I believe you also have limited control over your body armour, power, and co-op gems (3 gems of the same category will net you that category). I've definitely made legendary quality gems using specific categories alone.

Also regarding lost saves, this is from the patch notes again:

- Fixed co-op bug, which in rare cases could corrupt saves
- Added list of previous saves, so in case of corrupted save you can load previous one
- Fixed corrupted saves bug

So they're definitely aware of it. And they did bandage it for now.

Edit: As an addendum to this, when crafting together different elemental gems, look to the right side of the name bar. Blight is not Toxic element, it's ice.

InfinityComplex fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 17, 2016

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
Beat the game today, ended up with around 60-ish weapons total (including stuff in the shops). Game felt perfect on Hard, gonna start a new game on Insane.

I also noticed a QR code on one of the guns but I haven't been able to get a clear enough scan of it for it to do anything. Can someone with a better monitor/knowledge of doing this poo poo figure out where this leads? If you need the unedited photo let me know.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I feel like I'm always out of ammo. Not enough of it, save for the rare ammo shrine.

Do the SMGs just suck, or am I using them wrong?

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!

The Lone Badger posted:

I feel like I'm always out of ammo. Not enough of it, save for the rare ammo shrine.

I found them better for clearing trash or else you're throwing your ammo into a pit. However, you get an SMG with unlimited ammo later on from a sidequest I think (that can only slot common weapon mods) so having that handy means you always have a ranged option

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The Lone Badger posted:

They earlier ones kinda suck. The assault rifle you can buy from Larry's is ok and they get better from there.

edit: they can also use the piercing ammo mod, which is really good at higher levels. I think they get to +15% dmg and 80% chance to pierce.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Oct 17, 2016

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm excited to learn that there's an amulet that lets you dual-wield assault rifles

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

They earlier ones kinda suck. The assault rifle you can buy from Larry's is ok and they get better from there.

edit: they can also use the piercing ammo mod, which is really good at higher levels. I think they get to +15% dmg and 80% chance to pierce.

my buddy crafted one with +26% damage and 86% pierce chance for his minigun :twisted:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Whoever said Hard was a good starting difficulty sits upon a throne of lies, I'm getting absolutely loving trashed trying to recover Smith's instructions for tinysword :saddowns:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Whoever said Hard was a good starting difficulty sits upon a throne of lies, I'm getting absolutely loving trashed trying to recover Smith's instructions for tinysword :saddowns:

Are you playing with a controller or something?
Mash shift more. Left click the badguys.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ciaphas posted:

That one was inexplicably filled with 'superior' or 'elite' or whatever enemies for me too, assuming you're talking about part 2. I ended up having to just make a run for it. iirc that's also the one with the spider cave that's got a fuckmillion mega-arachnids and one gigantic frost one too.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
Why the heck can I not put a pierce upgrade on my bow :argh:

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Because it already pierces. :downsrim:

InfinityComplex fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Oct 17, 2016

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

They need to fix player 2 not getting anything from the bunny lord. It just pops out of existence when it dies and you don't get anything

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I got to the ending.

The gently caress was that?

:(

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Ciaphas posted:

The game is just greedy about giving you bullets and it does not drop enough mods to keep up with the need to kill demons faster and using less bullets. You need to rely on meele while fighting against meele monsters who have added powers (resistances, poison you or the fire demon WTO burns you on hit). If I had enough bullets the game would have still been easy at Hard because I could have kept my distance.

Maybe hard mode wants us to plan on not wasting ammo on smaller mobs...

Can you transfer stuff between saves? I want to start a normal mode game and use that equipment later, like in borderlands.

limaCAT fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Oct 17, 2016

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010

limaCAT posted:

Can you transfer stuff between saves? I want to start a normal mode game and use that equipment later, like in borderlands.
You can either start a new game on the same character slot (all your stuff carries over) or just change the difficulty on the resume game menu.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

is it just me or does it sometimes feel like small bits of the story were cut out here and there? like, for example, after ameonna betrays you (which i'm not particularly a fan of, honestly) and you meet up with mezu, suddenly the twins are just hanging out in your place because why not i guess.

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010

Johnny Joestar posted:

is it just me or does it sometimes feel like small bits of the story were cut out here and there? like, for example, after ameonna betrays you (which i'm not particularly a fan of, honestly) and you meet up with mezu, suddenly the twins are just hanging out in your place because why not i guess.
Yeah I was extremely confused by some of the leaps the story takes, like at the end of Flirty Fishing Part 1, the end goal is 'show the tape to gozu' despite not even getting photos because the photographer got away and then Wang just starts saying a bunch of poo poo to Gozu about the photographer releasing tapes if anything happens to them that no one even remotely mentioned before at any point in the side mission :confused:

In other news :unsmigghh:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Johnny Joestar posted:

Yes, there are quite a few pieces where I felt like that. Which sucks because I felt like Shadow Warrior had one of the better Video Game plots actually. I feel like there's a ton of content they didn't get to create for whatever reason.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if the gameplay wasn't so fun i'd be pretty disappointed by the story overall, but whatever. i'm looking forward to any dlc that comes out, and hopefully the first one adds some story content.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Johnny Joestar posted:

i'm excited to learn that there's an amulet that lets you dual-wield assault rifles

Unfortunately it takes up the amulet slot which means it competes with the marksman amulet and there's no way it can be as good.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The Marksman thing Larry sells boosts 'light and heavy' firearms. What about medium firearms?
(Also bows/nailguns/etc)

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Lemon-Lime posted:

Unfortunately it takes up the amulet slot which means it competes with the marksman amulet and there's no way it can be as good.

i've sort of been ambivalent on amulets as it is because the negatives usually seem to hurt a fair bit. the marksman one looks pretty good but i actually do use the occasional chi heal or spikes.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The dual-wield-assault-rifles amulet gets pretty fuckin' nuts when you equip it alongside some of the late game assault rifles. The very last one you get from the random gen boss in the final couple missions shreds anything easily with that amulet equipped.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Turtlicious posted:

I got to the ending.

The gently caress was that?

:(

That's some sopranos level bullshit.

Honestly the game felt incomplete to me. Like as if it was missing about 20% of it's cut-scenes.

On an unrelated topic, I honestly think that the first game (not the original) was better than the sequel. Pretty much everything new added to this game from the original one was a downgrade. Skill advancement/weapons don't feel as meaningful. Weapon/character upgrades in general feel tedious even if you do wait until you're done with the mission to gently caress around with them. Speaking of missions, although I'm relatively impressed by the verticality of the city PCG city levels, I would have honestly preffered them to be nice hand-crafted arenas. I guess I'll go check out Doom, since this is basically a better version of borderlands and that's not favorable comparison.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Johnny Joestar posted:

i've sort of been ambivalent on amulets as it is because the negatives usually seem to hurt a fair bit. the marksman one looks pretty good but i actually do use the occasional chi heal or spikes.

If you have the chi regen skill at max, the extra chi cost isn't a drawback because by the time you're done casting your chi is full anyway.

Johnny Joestar posted:

It really makes it feel like the game is supposed to have comic-book-style cutscenes like the first one had for the memories, only there's a bug stopping them from playing.

It would explain the missing story beats and the lack of an intro cutscene explaining the events between the first game and this.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Oct 17, 2016

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

SweetBro posted:

That's some sopranos level bullshit.
I liked and will always remember the ending to The Sopranos. Does that mean I will like SW2's?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Oct 17, 2016

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

No.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Samurai Sanders posted:

I liked and will always remember the ending to The Sopranos. Does that mean I will like SW2's?

Allow me to phrase it this way.

If you didn't like the ending of The Sopranos: You're not gonna like the ending of Shadow Warrior 2 for most of the same reasons

If you liked the ending of The Sopranos: Y'know how people who don't like how it ended complain about the same stuff every time? You're about to understand why they're complaining

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I slotted the triple barreled shotgun with the skill that lets you shoot 3 barrels at once, another one with +27% damage and %3 lifesteal and one with extra crit chance and damage bonus. All my armor skills are crit chance and crit damage boost. All the power skills are extra chi and chi drain.

Playing on insane Act 3, almost nothing survives a single shot so far and one shot regens all your HP and Chi, which makes it pretty easy to abuse vanish.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

The Lone Badger posted:

The Marksman thing Larry sells boosts 'light and heavy' firearms. What about medium firearms?
(Also bows/nailguns/etc)

The amulet I have boosts melee and is supposed to weaken light/heavy firearms, but actually decreases damage for every ranged weapon, including medium, projectile, rocket etc. (their damage numbers are in red, melee weapons' are in green).

I'm guessing it's the same for the marksman amulet but in reverse.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

You either a real badass ninja standing in a sea of your enemies corpses with your blood soaked swords/claws, ninja amulet equipped, and a staggering erection in your pants. Or you a bitch rear end fucc-boi.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Capn Beeb posted:

Why the heck can I not put a pierce upgrade on my bow :argh:

Because you can put an explosive arrow upgrade on it instead. :hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

SweetBro posted:

You either a real badass ninja standing in a sea of your enemies corpses with your blood soaked swords/claws, ninja amulet equipped, and a staggering erection in your pants. Or you a bitch rear end fucc-boi.

What's that? I can't hear you over the sound of my dual-wielded deagles that are constantly spitting exploding bullets into the faces of all of my enemies

• Locked thread