Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

KataraniSword posted:

Yeah, there's a few 5*s that are still literal bottom of the trash bin; Behemoth Knife and Genji Shield IV come to mind. Organics/Ogre Nix VI, too.

Most of them will be good synergy for whatever realm they're in, though, if nothing else.

I went from having Steiner's cruddy first sword as my only IX synergy weapon, to getting a terrible off-banner generic sword, Excalibur IX, Lightbringer, and then Excalibur IX again in the last two weeks. So even combining the Excaliburs I have 4 swords now and the generic is even worse than Steiner's first, so it'll never get used. Oh well. Wish I could get a spear for Freya or Quina to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's weird how lopsided nearly all my gear is; my VIII and IX synergy is almost completely made up of mage gear, while my IV, VII and XIII synergy is almost exclusively physical. V and X are fairly balanced at least.

Best realms right now are probably XII, IX then VIII in that order. Other than XII though I could use armour in just about every realm.

I'm considering hunting down Imperil-Fire now that I have both Vivi and Terra's BSBs. Probably won't pull on Eiko 2 again, so options are Larsa 1, Leo 2, Dorgann 1, Minfilia 2 or Genomes 2.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Jesus!

I made it, just barely, with Ramza and Vaan tanking the floor. That boss hurt a ton.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

The fact that I can't complete this Ultimate+ because I have three IX characters with BSBs just shy of baffles me. Ugh, have to figure out what to do with it in the morning.

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT
Meltigemini down, but it took a bit of a reshuffle, and it took Beatrix, Tyro and Ovelia spamming magic blink whenever they could, while cloud dished out some hurt with his OSB. Really glad I pulled that ragnarok on the dollar this morning!

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
My best realms are VII, VI, and IV in that order. If I ever got some decent weapons for XIII it would jump way up the list because I have tons of armor (Wild Bear+, Gold Bangle+, Corps Field Uniform and Serah's Gloves). I somehow stumbled into 4 5* VIII swords but the only other natural 5* relic I have for that realm is a Balamb Garden Uniform.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
With the FFVII event over, I'm trying to figure out what would be the most useful thing to have as my RW for the IX event.

My BSBs are Beatrix, Garnet, Butz, Hope, and Pecil. I'm leaning towards Butz since one of his commands is a fire spellblade to help burn down the Ult++ boss but I would like to hear other people's opinions.

I also have Rosa's medica+m blink SSB if something defensive might be more useful, as well as Shout and Wall to fall back on if nothing really stands out.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

LornMarkus posted:

The fact that I can't complete this Ultimate+ because I have three IX characters with BSBs just shy of baffles me. Ugh, have to figure out what to do with it in the morning.

Kraken right? I actually had to have Garnet Defend for the second half of the battle as otherwise she would have killed off the Right Tentacle. Should have just had her on healing duty instead.

I'm surprise they didn't make Kraken weak to Lightning like he was in the original game, but that might have made it too easy or something, I dunno.

Adel posted:

With the FFVII event over, I'm trying to figure out what would be the most useful thing to have as my RW for the IX event.

My BSBs are Beatrix, Garnet, Butz, Hope, and Pecil. I'm leaning towards Butz since one of his commands is a fire spellblade to help burn down the Ult++ boss but I would like to hear other people's opinions.

I also have Rosa's medica+m blink SSB if something defensive might be more useful, as well as Shout and Wall to fall back on if nothing really stands out.

Most people are gunning for Sheepsong or Proof of Existence RWs. Divine Judgement is an good replacement, so I'd go with that.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Oct 17, 2016

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Adel posted:

If you can gear Hope well for IX MAG he's definitely your best choice for Meltigemini summons.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
It's kind of amusing that they put in the bonus final boss before the main game's final boss for the JP II event.
I wonder when they'll bring in Scott at this rate.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

Kraken right? I actually had to have Garnet Defend for the second half of the battle as otherwise she would have killed off the Right Tentacle. Should have just had her on healing duty instead.

I'm surprise they didn't make Kraken weak to Lightning like he was in the original game, but that might have made it too easy or something, I dunno.

Yeah, I've got her, Zidane and Beatrix all with BSBs and they can poo poo damage all over him despite me needing to RW in a Wall to not die. Unfortunately they can't do it without requiring me to re-up at least two of their BSBs, and doing that inevitably kills the other tentacle. So I'mma have to gently caress around with dropping someone for another Healer or bring in somebody with an exclusively single-target SB.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
poo poo, I forgot to touch the VII ultimates.

My poor MC3 lode...

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Mmm, you know what, that does actually sound like the dumbest idea I've ever had but I think I'm going to sub out Yuffie from the team for another Healer who is going to spend a not insignificant amount of her time healing the Right Tentacle. There's still a good chance it doesn't work, as healing is scaled to the hero HP scale and thus there's no way she'll be able to out-heal the damage my party can do. But I don't need to keep it full, just need to let me use enough BSBs to damage Kraken and then have the Burst commands to finish him off.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
MC3 usage. Decided to just ignore the poo poo out of Luneth for now. While the EXP materia is tempting, I figured I'd rather focus on my A-Team first. Ramza and Bartz in particular just make it to every single team I make (that isn't for a CM), and Terra, Zidane, Vaan, Lightning and Ramza all see frequent play.

If we'd have more MC3 lodes I think I would be ok with the EXP doubler, but as is I'd rather keep on curve and keep improving my A-Team. EXP isn't that hard to come by, with sundailies, orbfests, and plentiful eggs.

(edit) Or bluh, maybe just grab the good offensive RM's instead. But the idea of levelling my SB-less Cloud to 99 is just so... bluh.

(editedit)

Sheesh, that was hell of a fight:

Took a couple of tries until I could get Meltigemini to not Meteor-Bio-Bio everyone to death instantly, but after that he melted vs. Alexander, Chain Firaga and Meltdown in a couple of turns. Somewhat noteworthy is that the only SB I used was Eiko's older medica+hastega. Everyone else just used hones and levels to do their work. Shared medica might just cut it, if you have access to similar skills and synergy gear.

Attestant fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Oct 17, 2016

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

Watching Vivi cast Meltdown on Taharka and then having Blood of the Espers proc for a second casting is incredibly satisfying.

Getting a Major Earth Orb drop was a nice finishing touch.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Welp, that was dumb as hell but gently caress me if it didn't ultimately work. Even still managed to barely squeak by with a Mastery, so woot for intentionally healing my enemies.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'll admit, I had fun with the U++, so I retooled to optimize my party even more for it:

The only further tweak I'd have done was to stick Quina in the back row - Breakdowns weren't doing anything significant either way, really.

The first clear, Meltigemini got off two Counter Wings and Kuja literally had 10 health left when he died. Second time round, he only got off three moves with no counters before he croaked. I swapped Eiko's Poison Ring for the second Gigas Armlet just because I knew he was never going to get Bio off.

With Darkflare Star, Devotion and the Flame Staff, Garnet was throwing out 8.3k per hit. Vivi was just behind at 7.7k only because he didn't have Devotion.

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
The Ogre on dollar draw and Aerith BSB on my last OSB pull (which I missed :saddowns:). That will help a bit.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I took the B-Team (as in Beatrix) out for a spin with Ultimate+ Kraken. The damage was impeccable with Imperil Holy, Bulwark Blade, and Agrias backing her up with Saint Cross. Plus, the extra SB charge from the slight Holy weakness made it possible to cast the Burst again while the Imperil is up and while she still has the all-stats buff. Each of the four hits did around 9000 damage to Kraken with the full buffs and debuffs in effect. This is definitely a party that will excel against bosses with no elemental weaknesses, and just AOE nonsense in general.

Bartz still excels if they're weak to Fire, Water, Earth, Wind, or Ice though. So he'll probably be taking part in the Meltigemini fight.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Well guess I'll get my 3* trash from the dollar pull.

Hmm...that's not 3* trash...that's not 3* trash at all.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
that's the first time that's happened in a long time around here. Play the lottery!

On second thought I missed 'dollar' and thought you meant 'daily'. Oops!

Armitage fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 17, 2016

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Armitage posted:

that's the first time that's happened in a long time around here. Play the lottery!

People get 5*'s from the dollar pull here all the time? :confused:

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

CaptainPsyko posted:

People get 5*'s from the dollar pull here all the time? :confused:

Oops, my mistake, confused with daily pull. I even pulled two myself on dollar pulls last week. Dunno where I got that from!

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

I don't even know which of my team members to bring since like all of my A-team people either have a fire or holy component to them:

P.Cecil SSB (Holy)
Bartz BSB (Fire Command)
Terra BSB (Fire Command)
Locke BSB (Fire+Holy, imperil Fire, Fire Command)
Beatrix BSB (Imperil Holy, Holy Command)
Fang SSB (Fire/Wind)

Bringing SG and a healer means I have to pick 3 out of those 6. Leaning towards Beatrix, Fang and Bartz.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
Ultimate, Ultimate+, and Ultimate++ cleared with CM completed.

Ultimate was testing Vivi out on the A-team and watching Meltdown do 9999x3.
Ultimate+ was the usual A-team shenanigans due to no exploitable elemental weaknesses (i.e. spamming EnHoly Saint Cross, Thief's Revenge, and Dark Zone until everything fell over).

Ultimate++ CM Team

Vivi (LV77) | Mako Might | Flame Staff (5* RS)/Magician Robe+++ (3*+++ RS)/Silver Pinion (5* RS) | Chain Firaga R3/Meltdown R1 (BSB: Proof of Existence)
Garnet (LV80) | Devotion | Storm Staff (5* RS)/White Robe (5* RS)/Cerberus Relief | Valefor R4/Alexander R4 (SB: Ramuh)
Beatrix (LV76) | Dragoon's Determination | Defender (5* RS)/Thunder Gloves (5* RS)/Squall's Necklace | Magic Lure R3/Saint Cross R3 (SB: Rose of May)
Quina (LV75) | Ace Striker | Candle Rod/Brigandine+++ (3*+++ RS)/Gauntlets | Magic Breakdown R4/Full Break R2 (SB: Shared AOE Heal SB from Candle Rod)
Eiko (LV77) | Battleforged | Fairy Flute+ (5*+ RS)/Adamant Vest (5* RS)/Poison Ring | Curaja R4/Shellga R1 (SSB: Flames of Rebirth)

RW: Sheepsong

0 S/L. No one died. Characters kept surviving with infintesimal amounts of health left and getting healed up before poison/sap got to them. Only 1 Bio hit the party. EnFire meant 9999x2 from Chain Firaga and 9999x3 from Meltdown. At one point Vivi MIGHT have died from poison, but the poison got overwritten by sap from Viral Smoke and gave him another couple of seconds to live, during which Eiko Curaja'd him back to full health.

Yeah, pulling Vivi's BSB made this way too easy. At least that clusterfuck is behind me now.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Oh man, I'm looking at major orbs for events up through March and comparing it to the new 5*'s that were released in japan till now. I need like 150 of every single 5* orb to get a bunch to r3, and I skipped a good number of abilities.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Tried to do Melti with a CM team. It promptly wrecked me with Bio within seconds of entering its first phase (I was actually kind of shocked at how quickly it managed to get to its third turn), so I just went "lol nope" and crushed it with the A-Team. Spent the twins phase building SB charges and then Pecil and Baetrix just liquified it with their BSBs.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???

ApplesandOranges posted:

Most people are gunning for Sheepsong or Proof of Existence RWs. Divine Judgement is an good replacement, so I'd go with that.

Grozz Nuy posted:

If you can gear Hope well for IX MAG he's definitely your best choice for Meltigemini summons.

Sounds good, thanks for the responses. Life continues to reaffirm that chasing Hope's BSB was stupid the right choice.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

I can't imagine doing that fight without Wall. You'd need a full party res boost at least (from Divine Guardian) on top of Shellga just to keep your head above water, and you'd need some really good medica action (likely Eiko BSB) to keep up with the damage.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
5k bio :lol: alright, respect where respect is due. Proper reapplication of Wall and heading into the Meltigemini phase with Paladin Force and Cleansing Strike charging took care of business easily enough, I managed to dodge Bio altogether and would've survived it had it gone off, but I will definitely bow out of doing CM for this one. I managed to do the FFVII one by doing the Vincent Divine Judgment thing but that was on a boss that was peculiarly survivable with Fire resist accessories and using an all-back row formation. I have zero magical synergy for IX and I'm not going digging for it on this banner. No one past level 65 other than Beatrix, either, and Rose of May won't help here. Ditto for Six Dragons and Sword Art Climhazzard. No, these three MPOs will have to go unclaimed.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

So glad I went into U++ with my A team. It was a lengthy grind, but native Shout, Dreamstage, Sentinel's Grimoire, Clear Tranquil, and Cleansing Strike make battles of attrition pretty favorable. Bio never broke 900. No way in hell am I attempting the CM.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

U++ CM done. I have very good FFIX synergy with Garnet's Divine Guardian, Quina's Mighty Guard IX, Steiner's Climhazzard, Zidane's Scoop Art, and Vivi's Dualcast Decay. I skipped a Wall RW and went in favor of Vivi's BSB for the combined Meltigemini phase, which let me unload almost all his Flare and Chain Firaga hones on the twins. I even had Garnet bring along my R4 Bahamut alongside Curaja since the protection and major regen worked so well. Steiner bit it on the last boss meteor, but I still only lost one medal on damage.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Cleared the U++ CM while using Angel Snack as my only native SB (also had Steiner's Excalibur for synergy Holy boost, and two Mag staffs):

Vivi w/ R4 Firaja and R1 Meltdown
Garnet w/ R4 Maduin and R4 Alexander
Steinter w/ R3 Saint's Cross and Magic Lure (and the sole Poison Res accessory)
Quina w/ R4 Magic Breakdown, R2 Full Break, and the aforementioned Angel Snack for Boostga
Eiko w/ Curaja and Shellga
Sheep song RW

The trick was slowing my roll and just auto-attacking Thorn for a bit once I got Zorn down until I could get Quina's SB back. As long and shell and breakdowns were up he wasn't much of a threat. Once ready just refresh Boostga, Sheepsong, and Shellga and que up everyone's ATB. Once I killed Thorn it was just a matter of laying waste to Meltigemini with Multi-hit weakness attacks. He did get off one non-scripted attack, but I was lucky enough for it to be single-target Bio, which Steiner ate like a champ. Boss hits like a truck but he's got the HP of a difficulty 99 boss.

SuperHappy
Aug 22, 2004

feel the rhythm with your hands
Man, kudos to y'all who are getting the CM. I have the drat Ogre and still had trouble getting through this with my A team.

Back-to-back AoE first strikes from hi-speed bosses... yeah, those are the kinds of fights we enjoy, Dena :\

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I was pretty nervous going into this U++, but, uh, I kinda spanked it hard.

Have Bea's BSB and Eiko's cura medicas; they were the only SBs that got used.

Opened with Bea's BSB, Full Break on each Twin, Two bahamuts and an Aegis strike and they were pretty much dead. They went down a lot faster than I thought (granted, Bea does have an Excalibur(IX)+ and the Platinum Shield for high ATK and +40% holy damage). As Bea was finishing off the last twin Quina was 90% done charging Full Break, so I could get off the magic BD before he used meteor. Kuja also had Meltdown charging. Eiko had a medica charging to go off after Meteor. The breaks, A Saint Cross, two meltdowns and an Alexander had him below 50% HP, and a couple more summons, Saint Cross, and Chain firagas had him dead shortly after his second meteor. Never saw Bio.

So yeah, if you have the damage output to melt through his HP fast enough he's really not too bad. All his really nasty stuff is locked behind his guaranteed moves at the beginning and 50% marks.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

SuperHappy posted:

Man, kudos to y'all who are getting the CM. I have the drat Ogre and still had trouble getting through this with my A team.

Back-to-back AoE first strikes from hi-speed bosses... yeah, those are the kinds of fights we enjoy, Dena :\

The opening aoe salvo is balance by the fact that for the following two turns they will do nothing but a weak physical attack on whoever has the most HP.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Who will expire first, the boss or Exdeath? :byoscience:

This one was a bit trickier, since I had to play around with ability timing and selection before eventually settling on the above setup. For whatever foolhardy reason I'd started by not bothering to equip elemental resistance gear, but I changed my mind after finding that the initial Fire/Blizzard AoEs hurt a lot before mitigation. But after some tinkering I found that the trick is to have just enough resources available (uses remaining, HP, buffs, and SB gauges) after defeating Zorn and Thorn to utterly blitz Meltigemini. drat, when folks upthread were talking about barely seeing Bio they weren't kidding, since Pecil's BSB alone melted about half its health after two uses.

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard
It took the rest of my mythril reserves (and $30 *hates self*), but CM done and mastered. Tried for Vivi's BSB, ended up with Freya's coat and Quina's other fork. Tried another go around, got smashed again, got angry, dropped money on Banner 1, got the item I needed plus an extra: Wizard Rod and Lightbringer. With the haste and extra resistance, I pulled it off, taking only a single bio to the face that I timed with my second revive medica from Eiko. It's done, it's over with, and now back to my corner for some self-loathing.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

I'm always a little :confused: when people say they have such great IV/VI synergy, but I guess that's just an earlier era :shobon: In the time I've been playing there has been one VI event and no IV events. Tons of V and IX though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I'm always a little :confused: when people say they have such great IV/VI synergy, but I guess that's just an earlier era :shobon: In the time I've been playing there has been one VI event and no IV events. Tons of V and IX though!

VI was probably the most frequently supported realm other than VII for a good portion of RK's life, but its content has slowed down considerably lately (although we're getting Leo relatively soon and JP's about to get another VI event focused on Locke and Celes, presumably introducing OSBs for each). Meanwhile, there's only 1 more V event between now and where JP is at, and I don't think it's been announced for their upcoming batch of content either. They've got the aforementioned VI event next and then the WoFF hype event and I think a III event that introduces Cloud of Darkness? I'm not 100% sure that last one was confirmed though.

X and XIII seem to be the realms in vogue with DeNA these days; we just had Paine and there's Tidus OSB and then Seymour coming in the next few months, and we have three more XIII events between now and the current state of JP.

• Locked thread