Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Flat Daddy posted:

Anyone have any bad experiences with Chase? I moved to them recently since I just wanted out of Wells Fargo and they happened to have a a $500 sign-up bonus at the same time. Do they have the same shady sales goals as WF?

They have sales goals like every other bank (or credit union, despite their angle that they're just in it to weave flower headbands and sing in drum circles). Realistically, it comes down to the individual person you're working with. Some are shitters, some just want to get you taken care of.

I wouldn't say there's any mass institutional shittering going on though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Are you eligible for USAA? I opened an account with them about a year ago and migrated all of my personal banking away from Wells Fargo to USAA about 6 months ago. It's been smooth sailing and I have no complaints other than not being able to deposit cash.

USAA has been great for everything, in my experience. Been with them since 2001 and have no plans to leave.

I also have a separate checking and savings at my local credit union for times when I need to deposit cash.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Chin Strap posted:

Do check and see if there are others you can join with more limited access though. I'm a member of Alliant Credit Union and they are awesome, but access is only through certain companies.

Anyone can get access to Alliant Credit Union by making a one time $10 donation to Foster Care to Success. https://www.alliantcreditunion.com/Applications/eligibility/Donate

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Flat Daddy posted:

Anyone have any bad experiences with Chase? I moved to them recently since I just wanted out of Wells Fargo and they happened to have a a $500 sign-up bonus at the same time. Do they have the same shady sales goals as WF?

I've been with them since the 08 takeover of WaMu. Never any negative experiences, don't get harassing phone calls and they roughly 10 times I've actually been in a branch have gone as expected.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Flat Daddy posted:

I had issues with them regarding a mortgage and a refi, but both were a long time ago and my most recent mortgage went smoothly. Otherwise they have been fine. Having a checking account with Chase is also good if you want to get Chase credit cards. And Chase credit cards have some of the best sign up bonuses.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

FCKGW posted:

I've been with them since the 08 takeover of WaMu. Never any negative experiences, don't get harassing phone calls and they roughly 10 times I've actually been in a branch have gone as expected.

Chase harassed the gently caress out of me last year when I got a new phone number owned by some deadbeat. Wouldn't stop calling, eventually got a new number.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

PRADA SLUT posted:

They have sales goals like every other bank (or credit union, despite their angle that they're just in it to weave flower headbands and sing in drum circles). Realistically, it comes down to the individual person you're working with. Some are shitters, some just want to get you taken care of.

I wouldn't say there's any mass institutional shittering going on though.

Yeah like they'll try to sell you a credit card now and then but it was never super annoying for me, like when I had to talk to a banker at the end they'd be like "can I help you with anything else, maybe you want to open a new CHASE FREEDOM PREFERRED (tm) card and get 0% APR!" and I'd be like "nah not right now" and that was it :shrug:

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Good to know, they sound like an improvement then. With Wells Fargo I'd get unsolicited calls in the evening asking why I didn't have a savings accounts with them.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I'm curious: does anyone else actually respond to the privacy policy opt-outs that get sent to them or go online and check their privacy/marketing settings there? I use Wells Fargo, USAA, Ally, Chase, Citi, and American Express and I've never received any financial cold calls.

Edit: comedy "Wells Fargo doesn't bother asking" response

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

THF13 posted:

Anyone can get access to Alliant Credit Union by making a one time $10 donation to Foster Care to Success. https://www.alliantcreditunion.com/Applications/eligibility/Donate

Oh that is good to know. Well I highly approve of Alliant. Goodish(?) rates on checking interest, site works well, mobile check deposits, refunds some amount($20) of ATM fees every month. Even got my mortgage through them and it was a painless process.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Flat Daddy posted:

Good to know, they sound like an improvement then. With Wells Fargo I'd get unsolicited calls in the evening asking why I didn't have a savings accounts with them.

You can opt yourself out of calls and your number won't even show up on lists with them. I forget how you do it but it might be online.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
When I last used them, alliant's mobile check deposit limit was ridiculously small. I had a bunch of checks I couldn't deposit. Ally goes up to 50k I think. They also made you scan them in and couldn't accept a cell phone photo like everyone else. Maybe things are different now.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Chin Strap posted:

Oh that is good to know. Well I highly approve of Alliant. Goodish(?) rates on checking interest, site works well, mobile check deposits, refunds some amount($20) of ATM fees every month. Even got my mortgage through them and it was a painless process.

Yes I like them a lot as well. I opened an account with them since their auto loan rates are good but ended up switching to them as my primary checking account.

potatoducks posted:

When I last used them, alliant's mobile check deposit limit was ridiculously small. I had a bunch of checks I couldn't deposit. Ally goes up to 50k I think. They also made you scan them in and couldn't accept a cell phone photo like everyone else. Maybe things are different now.

You can deposit checks through their cell phone app now. Their mobile app still has some weird limitations, you can't transfer money to an external account for example. I'm not sure if they still limit new customers mobile check deposit, mine is 50k now. As a general rule though I think you should be able to call any bank and have them temporarily raise the deposit limit if necessary.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
A friend of mine just got a call from a credit reporting company's fraud division and wasn't left a message.

He recently bought a used car and used cash. Would a bank withdrawal trigger that?

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Did he make the withdrawal in person? Probably not... Caller ID spoofing is a thing, it could have been spam. If he's worried, though, he can call the bank directly at their published number.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Just a reminder that if you got an extension for filing taxes you have until this Monday to file.

Gotta remind my deadbeat bother-in-law to pay his Obamacare fine.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Question: in about 6 months Im going to pull the trigger and buy a house. I've got $50k in an Ally account and will be able to save another $50k within 6 months. Is Ally still the best savings vehicle earning 1%? Is there some vehicle with Vanguard I can earn index fund returns while not having to commit long term?

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Just stick it in the bank. You should not want to risk your money when you have a known large expense incoming.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

DNK posted:

Just stick it in the bank. You should not want to risk your money when you have a known large expense incoming.

Yeah that's kind of what I thought. I'll keep it in the Ally getting the 1% for now. Cheers

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Rocks posted:

Question: in about 6 months Im going to pull the trigger and buy a house. I've got $50k in an Ally account and will be able to save another $50k within 6 months. Is Ally still the best savings vehicle earning 1%? Is there some vehicle with Vanguard I can earn index fund returns while not having to commit long term?

The real question to ask is, "if the market takes a bad turn, am I okay delaying my home purchase for months or years until it recovers sufficiently?"

Depending on the answer to the above, the answer to your question is either "index fund ETF (VOO)" or "savings account".

Qubee
May 31, 2013

UK full-time student who is sponsored by a foreign country, I receive a fixed allowance of 1900GBP a month, with a financial letter of guarantee to prove so from the sponsoring country's embassy. I usually end up with around 400 (sometimes a little more) free cash once I've paid all my bills - it's higher or lower depending on whether I splashed out with groceries. That being said, I'm in a very niche spot whereby any time I apply for finance, I am immediately rejected, as finance companies are too lazy to judge on a case-by-case basis and instead rejects me because of the big, red, angry "Full-Time Student" on my application. Even putting my annual income down, it never changes diddly. I've tried numerous times to get things on finance in the past 4 years, as I know I can always pay it off in a timely manner and not miss anything and incur debt.

My question right now is: I really want to get the HTC Vive, but I can't afford it outright without at least 6 months saving. I have a lovely starter credit card used to build credit score, but it has a nasty 44.9% APR. There's no way in hell I'd leave money in that to roll over to the next month because I know I'd basically be burning money for no reason. I always pay the credit card off fully before the end of the month. That being said, what other alternatives do I have for getting 800GBP either on finance or any other means? My end goal is to fully pay it off within 6 months. A user in a different thread recommended I go to a building society and take out a loan of 1000GBP, which I am considering, especially if they allow you to pay it off early, which would be perfect. I'd take the 800 I need, and put the remaining 200 towards paying it off. I'd then save up for 5 or 6 months and pay it off early.

Prada Slut recommended against it, and I agreed with him: if me getting this non-urgent gadget puts me at risk of incurring exorbitant debt / interest fees, I ain't gonna do it. But if there was a smart and safe way I could do it - as long as I kept up with my payments and stayed on top of everything - I'm not afraid to go ahead and do that.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Oct 16, 2016

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Loopoo posted:

44.9% APR

:stonk: How is that even legal

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
That is one hell of a number.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
I didn't quite know exactly where to ask this so I'll try here.

A few months back in August my uncle was killed. His bank account was pretty much drained to pay for the funeral. No idea about what if anything he had in his retirement fund and I don't know what the situation is with that, not sure if anyone knows at the moment. He was never married and the list of all his next of kin is pretty much three brothers, one sister, and his mother.

Now, within this past week or so my grandmother and other uncles have been worried since a creditor has been calling them, apparently my uncle was about $10k in credit debt. He was keeping current on paying that off but nobody knew about it. The creditor is basically saying they'll get their money from the estate and all this and that, but the problem is there is no estate now, everything my uncle had in the bank was used for the funeral and aside from that it's just a few of his worldly possessions that are still hanging around and honestly none of it's worth anything to anyone (He was still on a Windows XP machine that's 15 years old and using a 20 inch CRT TV, he was the type of guy who didn't really care for change all that much).

He did have two life insurance policies, but the first one was used to cover those final expenses along with his bank account, and the other life insurance policy nobody knows anything about, we can't find any documentation on it, nobody knows who the executor is, and that insurance company won't release information let alone funds without either finding the documents that may not exist or figuring out who he listed as the executor.

Basically what I'm asking is what can or should my relatives actually do about this and more importantly what, if anything, can the creditor do? I was always under the impression that credit debt dies with the person who took the credit.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 17, 2016

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Shima Honnou posted:

I didn't quite know exactly where to ask this so I'll try here.

A few months back in August my uncle was killed. His bank account was pretty much drained to pay for the funeral. No idea about what if anything he had in his retirement fund and I don't know what the situation is with that, not sure if anyone knows at the moment. He was never married and the list of all his next of kin is pretty much three brothers, one sister, and his mother.

Now, within this past week or so my grandmother and other uncles have been worried since a creditor has been calling them, apparently my uncle was about $10k in credit debt. He was keeping current on paying that off but nobody knew about it. The creditor is basically saying they'll get their money from the estate and all this and that, but the problem is there is no estate now, everything my uncle had in the bank was used for the funeral and aside from that it's just a few of his worldly possessions that are still hanging around and honestly none of it's worth anything to anyone (He was still on a Windows XP machine that's 15 years old and using a 20 inch CRT TV, he was the type of guy who didn't really care for change all that much).

He did have two life insurance policies, but the first one was used to cover those final expenses along with his bank account, and the other life insurance policy nobody knows anything about, we can't find any documentation on it, nobody knows who the executor is, and that insurance company won't release information let alone funds without either finding the documents that may not exist or figuring out who he listed as the executor.

Basically what I'm asking is what can or should my relatives actually do about this and more importantly what, if anything, can the creditor do? I was always under the impression that credit debt dies with the person who took the credit.

Life insurance is paid out separate from probate and the estate.

If your uncle has nothing and died with no assets beyond the account that you had to use for the funeral then the creditor gets nothing. The debt died with him. The only reason you would pay it is if he had any assets that the family wants to keep.

Otherwise they get a copy of the death certificate and when it's official that he has nothing then you tell them they are getting nothing.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Loopoo posted:

44.9% APR

What the gently caress :allbuttons:

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011
I'm looking into buying a house 12-18 months from now. My credit is estimated at between 760 and 780 depending on the source. Each source says that biggest thing preventing me from getting to 800+ is the fact I have no recent installment loans.

I'm thinking I will not see a change in the rate offered to me if I somehow raise my score above 800. Am I correct with this line of thinking? If not, would taking a small, 3-5 year used car loan for around $8000 offer enough benefit to make it worth it?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Zeta Taskforce posted:

Life insurance is paid out separate from probate and the estate.

If your uncle has nothing and died with no assets beyond the account that you had to use for the funeral then the creditor gets nothing. The debt died with him. The only reason you would pay it is if he had any assets that the family wants to keep.

Otherwise they get a copy of the death certificate and when it's official that he has nothing then you tell them they are getting nothing.

That's about what I figured, yeah. Thank you kindly.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

drive me nuts to school posted:

I'm looking into buying a house 12-18 months from now. My credit is estimated at between 760 and 780 depending on the source. Each source says that biggest thing preventing me from getting to 800+ is the fact I have no recent installment loans.

I'm thinking I will not see a change in the rate offered to me if I somehow raise my score above 800. Am I correct with this line of thinking? If not, would taking a small, 3-5 year used car loan for around $8000 offer enough benefit to make it worth it?

I'm in the same situation and I'm like 99% sure that once you're up in that range the boost to 800 does nothing for your rate.

P.S. good luck on your search and if you're in my market I'll loving cut you :)

Qubee
May 31, 2013

ate all the Oreos posted:

:stonk: How is that even legal

Welcome to the UK, where students are hosed over and no finance company or credit card company wants to touch you with a barge pole. The only way to build credit and show you're a smart spender is to apply for the bottom of the barrel card, which is this one. Insanely huge APR, really small limits initially (mine was 300 for 6 months then got bumped up to 1200). It's really frustrating. Legitimately no way to prove to a company you're a smart spender, even if you show them your debit card statements. They just see student and run the other way. Only way to get out of this horrible spot is to get into employment, but I can't do that as I'm being paid to study full-time by a foreign company. loving stupid, if you ask me.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
If you are actually a smart spender you will not buy a Vive on credit except maybe if you are able to get an interest free loan and your ability to pay it off while it's still interest free is not in question. Which, since you are a student with no particular financial history, doesn't seem likely :)

Qubee
May 31, 2013

If I go to the bank and take out a 1000 loan (interest free, or very low interest) would I have to be honest and divulge what I'm spending the loan on, or could I just say I'm buying a laptop / holiday package?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Why do you want this thing so much?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

If the Vive is important to you, prioritize saving for it in your budget and then buy it when you have the cash to do so. Buying luxuries on debt isn't a good idea or a good habit to start, and you will survive a few months while you save for it. Bonus, in a few months it might be cheaper and have any current issues sorted out! Unless it is important to something you are doing right now (like you need it for some work or course or something) there really isn't a good reason to buy it on credit.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

As someone who bought a Rift DK2 and a Leap Motion so you can see your hands let me just tell you that its novelty wears off real fuckin' fast and it's spent most of its time gathering dust on my shelf.

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011

pig slut lisa posted:

I'm in the same situation and I'm like 99% sure that once you're up in that range the boost to 800 does nothing for your rate.

P.S. good luck on your search and if you're in my market I'll loving cut you :)

Thanks, and good much to you too! I'm going to be looking in the Lakeland, FL area (god help me) so please don't murder me.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Loopoo posted:

If I go to the bank and take out a 1000 loan (interest free, or very low interest) would I have to be honest and divulge what I'm spending the loan on, or could I just say I'm buying a laptop / holiday package?

Ashcans gave the correct answer, but to answer your question, it doesn't really matter if you say you are getting a laptop or a HTC Vive. They are going to base it on their underwriting standards which will be come combination of your credit score and/or verified income. Probably if you say laptop you won't get a blank stare. I doubt the loan officer knows what a Vive is. I had to google it. But say what you want. They have to ask but as long as you're not doing anything illegal with it they really don't care

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Zeta Taskforce posted:

Ashcans gave the correct answer, but to answer your question, it doesn't really matter if you say you are getting a laptop or a HTC Vive. They are going to base it on their underwriting standards which will be come combination of your credit score and/or verified income. Probably if you say laptop you won't get a blank stare. I doubt the loan officer knows what a Vive is. I had to google it. But say what you want. They have to ask but as long as you're not doing anything illegal with it they really don't care

Not that it would really matter here but "lying to the loan officer" is probably something you Really Shouldn't Do even if it doesn't affect the terms of the loan.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

And let me just emphasize once again that VR is not that great right now and i've probably used it like 10 hours total in the two years+ i've had it and i'm a turbonerd who really wants it to be good. It's super cool for like a day and then you will have massive amounts of buyer's remorse after the novelty wears off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

ate all the Oreos posted:

And let me just emphasize once again that VR is not that great right now and i've probably used it like 10 hours total in the two years+ i've had it and i'm a turbonerd who really wants it to be good. It's super cool for like a day and then you will have massive amounts of buyer's remorse after the novelty wears off

Less buyers remorse if you have thousands and thousands of dollars to throw around but - the best place to use one of these is intevitably in your college's engineering lab (they buy it, you play with it, profit).