Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Let the talk about poise begin... (again) :black101:

Gonna derust this weekend just to test the changes and hope they buffed greatswords a bit because I miss the claymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Dewgy posted:

I AM SO CONFUSED!

Though it's good to know that Aldrich still shows up in patched vanilla. Dude's kind of a big pain in the butt, so I may go the vanilla disc/no patches route.

...now that I think about it though, is Patches even in that game?

Uh... Aldrich doesn't show up in any version of DS2 at all unless I somehow managed to miss him...

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Qwertycoatl posted:

I seem to remember SotFS Brightstone Cove being a bit less annoying than the original. But Iron Keep more than makes up (down?) for that.

Wielding a torch in SotFS Brightstone makes the spiders non-hostile, which is a cool touch.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

...! posted:

Uh... Aldrich doesn't show up in any version of DS2 at all unless I somehow managed to miss him...
I'm pretty sure they mean Aldia.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Jordbo posted:

they're doing it!

You seriously think that means they're enabling global poise? It's far more likely they're simply tweaking the strength of the impact of poise on hyperarmor.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Yeah they are probably just tweaking it so very little poise means you cant poise through everything with a straight swords special move or something similar. Also no mention of wolf ring giving poise in dragon form :argh:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

DatonKallandor posted:

You seriously think that means they're enabling global poise? It's far more likely they're simply tweaking the strength of the impact of poise on hyperarmor.

The patch note specifically says they're making it more effective for armor. What difference that will make I haven't the slightest idea, but talking about "global poise" as if that means anything is ridiculous. They aren't going to bring back the DS1 poise system, the only reason that it's even in the game at all is so that it can be used to model the perseverance skill. The best we can hope for is a slightly more balanced version of this system, pretty much like what DS2 had.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

quote:

Addressed other game balance issues and fixed other flaws.
Finally, all my hopes and dreams potentially come true! :haw:

.... well at least they're giving the dataminers and reversers something to do, right

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
I hope "improved" animations is FROM-speak for "faster".

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

...! posted:

Wielding a torch in SotFS Brightstone makes the spiders non-hostile, which is a cool touch.

SotFS generally improved all the torch stuff they cut or didn't properly implement for vanilla DS2. Sadly didn't put in the dynamic lighting, but at least there was a point to having a torch out through enemy reactions and static torches being lit used as triggers for events.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

winterwerefox posted:

Bought Lords of the Fallen on a whim. After beating DS 1, SotFS, and DS 3, holy crap everyone moves so slow. HOWEVER, working poise, armor that functions as a decent damage reduction, and enemies that seem to use the same rules as me feels pretty good.

My dream addition to Souls is to make armour as distinct as it is in LOTF. It makes a genuinely big difference to the playstyle - heavy armour makes you almost unkillable but even quick weapons are pretty clumsy, whereas light armour gives you the speed and grace of lightning on meth, but you will die to a stray fart.

Basically I want Bloodborne's quickstep in a Souls game without it being attached to lovely daggers.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
If they fix poise I'll be ecstatic. That had been my biggest gripe.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Please change topic to Dark Souls III - EnablePlayerPoise=1

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Please let me know if the DLC makes the game good

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Please change topic to Dark Souls III - EnablePlayerPoise=1

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

poptart_fairy posted:

My dream addition to Souls is to make armour as distinct as it is in LOTF. It makes a genuinely big difference to the playstyle - heavy armour makes you almost unkillable but even quick weapons are pretty clumsy, whereas light armour gives you the speed and grace of lightning on meth, but you will die to a stray fart.

Basically I want Bloodborne's quickstep in a Souls game without it being attached to lovely daggers.

Nioh is going to have you covered. Working armor in terms of damage mitigation, working armor in terms of poise and the option to switch between roll, bloodborne dash into roll and short dash with every weapon. Also percentage damage reduction the heavier the armor is, which sounds punishing, but it turns out it really works when the armor does its job.

vvv Sorcery is lovely as a whole, because it's super boring. The only good spells are soul arrow and it's more-damage upgrades. All of the weird could-be-cool side-spells are just worse than a soul arrow. But if that doesn't bother you, sorcery is perfectly viable - just soul arrow things. Oh and there's a spell that breaks the game by making you invisible too. And the greater shield spell lets you embarass some bosses.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 17, 2016

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I'm thinking about picking this back up to dust myself off for the expansion. I remember at launch sorcery was generally considered lovely, is this still the case or did they get improved in the subsequent patches? Am I better off starting as a Pyromancer and just getting my burn on?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Sorcery hasnt changed but it was never lovely. You can use pyro hand in a sorcery build since some stuff is weak to fire. Though keep in mind some bosses are resistant to both sorcery and fire so you might have to switch to dark a few times.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Sorcery was never bad in terms of power. It could be designed lot better since they made the most boring spells the most effective ones, and it starts out pretty bland, but killing champion gundam in under 30 seconds is nothing to sneeze at.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

I am probably in the minority but I enjoy magic in this game, it kind of forces you to seriously concentrate in it but in that regard it's made it more rare and kind of unique in that regard.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

That's kind of my feel about most of Ds2. It's like after the huge success of Ds1 the creators had a meeting and said "So everyone loves the difficulty of Ds1 right? So let's just throw in way more enemies, give them way more huge multi-hit combos, and have them just strewn around very environment in large numbers". All of the Souls games have times when you just get instagibbed, but Ds2 seems to have just an inordinate number of zones that feel unfun because it's just enemies bumrushing you repeatedly.

In fairness, the game is designed around this assumption. This is what people (including myself) missed about Lifegems the first time going through: it was intended to shift the gameplay from being less about bonfire-to-bonfire management and more about encounter-to-encounter management. Lifegems meant that you'd always be topped up by the time you got to the next encounter, which encouraged you to take risks in combat in order to defeat multiple opponents at once (with Estus being there for if you really screw up and need immediate healing). Once you understand that the game is telling you to go ahead and take a few hits if they'll let you gain an advantage in combat, it becomes vastly less frustrating to make your way through it.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
It would be nice if they fixed DS3 being the worst covenant grind of the series

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
please, ds1 was worse.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Also ds2

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bellboys remain the best boys.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
well in ds2 case you could just go to ng++ to get the rewards which is ultimatly faster than getting 500 victories/rank points.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Relin posted:

It would be nice if they fixed DS3 being the worst covenant grind of the series

Demons Souls equivalent (tendencies) were way worse (not such much a grind, but utterly stupidly obscure and fiddly).

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

DatonKallandor posted:

Demons Souls equivalent (tendencies) were way worse (not such much a grind, but utterly stupidly obscure and fiddly).
i only needed to farm 5 (single) stones when i got to the end of demon's souls, which took 5 hours. both Ds1 and 2 were fixed to make drop rates better (i can forgive people not knowing or forgetting that)

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
5 hours for 5 stones is pretty bad and that's besides the whole white tendency thing. Even post patches drop rates for ds1/2 are still really low, although in the case of ds2 it was helped by the online being pretty consistent (thats how I maxed most of the covs at least).

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Vermain posted:

In fairness, the game is designed around this assumption. This is what people (including myself) missed about Lifegems the first time going through: it was intended to shift the gameplay from being less about bonfire-to-bonfire management and more about encounter-to-encounter management. Lifegems meant that you'd always be topped up by the time you got to the next encounter, which encouraged you to take risks in combat in order to defeat multiple opponents at once (with Estus being there for if you really screw up and need immediate healing). Once you understand that the game is telling you to go ahead and take a few hits if they'll let you gain an advantage in combat, it becomes vastly less frustrating to make your way through it.

I agree with this. Lifegems encouraged me to keep pushing and using more risky builds like powerstanced Varangian axe/battle axe or stuff like that. Once I got the idea and had shitloads of lifegems I used Estus only on boss encounters where I needed to heal quickly. Hell, after the first third of the game, it was easy to have 40+ normal lifegems as they were cheap.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

While powerstancing was super cool, I'm willing to lose it for the superior coop and also dropping soul memory. In fact I've come to terms with the lovely poise for that too.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Oh, don't get me wrong. While I liked powerstancing, I really love two handing big chunks of metal (or wood) so I didn't miss it much in DS3 and while I adjusted to not have DS1 style poise my main gripe is that putting a lot of points on vitality to do some fashion souls with heavy armor is just gimping my build. If they at least made it so equip load is tied to endurance like in DS1 or gave you some extra hit points like in DS2 would be better.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

quote:

Adjusted poise values across the board. Poise is now more effective for heavier weapons and armor.

Don't tease me like this Dark Souls. DON'T TEASE ME LIKE THIS.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Notches up poise values by .0001, playerpoise is still inexplicably = 0. Working as intended.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Man, who cares about poise. I want them to fix their lovely lock on and camera system that is somehow worse than the last four games.

DS3 is a good game, but every step of the way, it's as if they've learned nothing from the mistakes in design from previous titles.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

...! posted:

What is it about torches and being useful in ways I didn't find out about until too late? I found the worm guys in Cathedral of the Deep utterly horrible because I had no idea at the time that a torch would help.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

http://darksoulsgame.tumblr.com/post/151940526751/

"Adjusted poise values across the board. Poise is now more effective for heavier weapons and armor." :eyepop:

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Dude. If this makes it so I don't get staggered like a bastard from knife swings, I will fall back in love. I could play fashion souls again without seriously hampering my character build.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
they are adjusting the poise values, not how poise works in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Hopefully they'll make it like, noticeable