Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."
One-Punch Man, like Rick and Morty, is a good animated television show. Thanks for listening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Image of Gorilla Salad:

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Yellow Ant posted:

How is Ugly Americans? Is it worth checking out?

Yes. It's very good.

Sentient Data posted:

But if we drive up the post count, others will think some big news has been announced and we can wallow in their despair once they learn the truth. It'll be the VLR LP thread all over again!

This is me. Wallow in my despair. I hate you all.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh hey I watched this bullshit video and in the context of the episode in question, not only is that not a joke, the "animal" is fake. Great loving example.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I think my favorite part of all of this is Gorilla Salad forgetting about the Jellybean rape and also about Sexy Explicitly Underage Summer in the second episode.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Subverting Intelligence

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The Critic is also a very funny cartoon since we seem to just be recommending stuff.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I like tea.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
e: Nah, on second thought screw the derail even if I found the joke funny

Sentient Data fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 17, 2016

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Life and times of tim is kind of like home movies, it's good.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

counterfeitsaint posted:

Holy loving poo poo. Gorilla Salad actually uploaded this clip to youtube today, just so he could have a reference in his meltdown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70utG1L5bfU

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Snooze Cruise posted:

The Critic is also a very funny cartoon since we seem to just be recommending stuff.

TV needs more characters like Jay's dad.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Gorilla Salad is Rick Jerry confirmed.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
So how much longer until Gorilla Salad comes back to declare us all Aatreks for not being on board with his denial watching meticulous research?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Snooze Cruise posted:

Man, The Critic was so good. They should have made more of it.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
They made some web episodes back in 2000 and they stank.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

MasterSlowPoke posted:

They made some web episodes back in 2000 and they stank.

Yes MasterSlowPoke, everything stinks.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I hate the webs series because he left the cool lady from season 2

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Isn't there a whole forum to people to talk about animes? :confused:

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

prefect posted:

Isn't there a whole forum to people to talk about animes? :confused:

... 4chan?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Arist posted:

Oh hey I watched this bullshit video and in the context of the episode in question, not only is that not a joke, the "animal" is fake. Great loving example.

Glad to hear it. Seriously.

Show is now less creepy than I had thought. For me violence against animals is one thing that really grosses me out, even when it's just animated violence. And when I first let goons convince me to watch the show, the part where a pet dog is roasted alive very early on took me very much by surprise and, yes, definitely soured me on the whole thing.

Also that the whole thing apparently turns into invisible punchy friends, which is so loving anime it hurts.

Still going to class the show under things like You Gi Oh, the dancing ghost watch one and other lovely morning shows the nightshift always leave the breakroom TV on. But I'm willing to accept it's not the utterly worthless hole I had been led to believe it was.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Maybe you should just watch shows instead of doing opposition research on them?

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
did someone say anime? let me tell you about anime

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Duckbag posted:

Maybe you should just watch shows instead of doing opposition research on them?

He said he watched the show and saw a dog get roasted.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
"Dancing ghost watch show" sounds way more interesting than what Yokai Watch probably actually is. In fact it sounds more interesting than all shows.

And now I have a new anger for Gorilla Salad. For he has made me imagine this show about a ghost that is a cartoon watch, who dances. And i assume solves mysteries. I am angry it does not exist.

The hero would be called Boo-y Eli-tick.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Yeah, he watched the first episode, saw something he didn't like, and then started doing furious research to "prove" that the rest of the internet was wrong to like something he didn't.

A healthy response.

To be fair though, it sounds like whoever recommended JoJo to him forgot to mention it was horror. If I sat down to watch light-hearted punchy-man anime and saw that, I might be a little put off myself.

To bring this back on topic, I've noticed that audience expectation can do a lot to shape how people perceive a show, and not always for the better. Rick and Morty has gotten its cult, but I still don't know how to convey the message that it's a good show and people should watch it to anyone who isn't already in the core adult swim audience. I've had the same problem with getting anyone to watch The Venture Bros. Part of it is that these shows are genuinely pretty niche, but I think it's also that people's approaches to cartoons tend to be pretty retrograde.

It used to be that cartoons were for children. Now a lot of people are willing to concede that they're also for manchildren. I mean, I guess The Simpsons paved the way for mature cartoons on TV, but that really is just an animated sitcom. How do you convince someone that something that actually is rather vulgar and immature like R&M might still be worth their time? If someone's just expecting to see crude shock humor in the show, they'll certainly find it. I guess I should have more faith that quality will tell, but IDK, it's hard to make people understand that this isn't just some cynical Family Guy bullshit when the superficial similarities are undeniably there.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Duckbag posted:

To bring this back on topic, I've noticed that audience expectation can do a lot to shape how people perceive a show, and not always for the better. Rick and Morty has gotten its cult, but I still don't know how to convey the message that it's a good show and people should watch it to anyone who isn't already in the core adult swim audience. I've had the same problem with getting anyone to watch The Venture Bros. Part of it is that these shows are genuinely pretty niche, but I think it's also that people's approaches to cartoons tend to be pretty retrograde.

People were posting Rick and Morty in YOSPOS, and I ignored them the first few times I saw them. (I'm generally too impatient to watch videos, and there are lots of videos people post that I have zero interest in.) I'm glad I did finally start watching, but it took a bunch of people to convince me it would be worth it.

Duckbag posted:

It used to be that cartoons were for children. Now a lot of people are willing to concede that they're also for manchildren. I mean, I guess The Simpsons paved the way for mature cartoons on TV, but that really is just an animated sitcom. How do you convince someone that something that actually is rather vulgar and immature like R&M might still be worth their time? If someone's just expecting to see crude shock humor in the show, they'll certainly find it. I guess I should have more faith that quality will tell, but IDK, it's hard to make people understand that this isn't just some cynical Family Guy bullshit when the superficial similarities are undeniably there.

The Flintstones was in prime time long before the Simpsons. :spergin:

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Strobe posted:

I think my favorite part of all of this is Gorilla Salad forgetting about the Jellybean rape and also about Sexy Explicitly Underage Summer in the second episode.

a jellybean man desperately trying to gently caress a child with utmost seriousness almost turned me off the show entirely, regardless of how 'well done' it might be. i get the humor in the contrast between this absurd setting and the incredibly dark subject matter but i still have no desire to watch it.

opm has one minor character i find distasteful but as a whole if you find rick and morty funny, yeah you'll probably enjoy opm.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Hey, 50+ new posts. I wonder if there's info about the thir--

:yikes:
:livintrope::nignog::crossange::palmon::kamina:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Somberbrero posted:

a jellybean man desperately trying to gently caress a child with utmost seriousness almost turned me off the show entirely, regardless of how 'well done' it might be. i get the humor in the contrast between this absurd setting and the incredibly dark subject matter but i still have no desire to watch it.

opm has one minor character i find distasteful but as a whole if you find rick and morty funny, yeah you'll probably enjoy opm.

No argument. I don't like that scene a whole lot either, but the fact that it exists in this show and Gorilla Salad apparently forgot all about it on his crusade to find things not fun is actually funny.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Sorry you apparently read a different thread from the one I posted in :shrug:

But it's all cool.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Oct 17, 2016

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Krowley posted:

Anime is blood

Hmmm...yes, anime is blood...

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Somberbrero posted:

a jellybean man desperately trying to gently caress a child with utmost seriousness almost turned me off the show entirely,

Marathoning the series I noticed that episodes 5, 6, and 7 of the first season all have attempted rape in them. It's disconcerting when viewed all in a row.

rydiafan fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Oct 17, 2016

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Duckbag posted:

Yeah, he watched the first episode, saw something he didn't like, and then started doing furious research to "prove" that the rest of the internet was wrong to like something he didn't.

A healthy response.

To be fair though, it sounds like whoever recommended JoJo to him forgot to mention it was horror. If I sat down to watch light-hearted punchy-man anime and saw that, I might be a little put off myself.

I tell people if they like Doctor Who or Futurama they should give R&M a try: they will probably like it. If they like both Doctor Who and Futurama, I'm just like "it's like if Futurama spoofed of Doctor Who. Also the Doctor is poo poo-house drunk the entire time."

The pilot is an excellent example of the series' overall humor.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

rydiafan posted:

Marathoning the series I noticed that episodes 5, 6, and 7 of the first season all have attempted rape in them. It's disconcerting when viewed all in a row.

What's funny about it is they were all serious with the Jellybean scene, with Roiland going on a rant about it having to be true-to-life like a Jodie Foster movie or some such.

Then at the end of the season they just straight-up make light of rape with Jerry's Titanic scene. Not exactly Jodie Foster in that moment, but who can remember dearly held opinions for months at a time anyways?

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

What's funny about it is they were all serious with the Jellybean scene, with Roiland going on a rant about it having to be true-to-life like a Jodie Foster movie or some such.

im pretty sure that was a joke because twitter nerds were demanding an explanation at the time

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They wanted to inject serious poo poo in a comedy cartoon. Tonal changes mother fucka.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Roiland thinks that edgy grossout stuff like that is hilarious, there's really no need to look into it much deeper. Remember that this is the guy who brought us Unbelievable Tales with Crumply Crumplestien :nws::nms:

StalkofWheat
Oct 10, 2012
Plus... Ya know, Doc and Mharti.
https://youtu.be/EbTlK3perdI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I loved Unbelievable Tales before I knew who Roliand was. That poo poo's hilarious.

• Locked thread