Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

what do you guys farm for echoes? i've been hunting lorn-flukes for their cores because they are so easy to kill with a little cheesey sailing
Honestly I don't farm anything, I just collect port reports as I sail around doing other missions. So far I've gotten both a better lodgings, a new Phorcyd-class, and two new guns for it, without falling down into horrible farming drudgery. The farmiest I've gotten has been a 20 minute stint sailing around Censor's Arch after Lifebergs.

Is there an easy way to find out where undersea ports are on the map, even just to which tile they're in, whether I should sail E/SE/NE from London? I can find some locations in my savefile by looking at the list under TileConfig.Tiles and the Position of the tile that includes them, but it doesn't include Hideaway, or Irem, or a few other ports I need to visit. I tried using Texmod like the wiki said, but it's not working for me right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

darthbob88 posted:

Honestly I don't farm anything, I just collect port reports as I sail around doing other missions. So far I've gotten both a better lodgings, a new Phorcyd-class, and two new guns for it, without falling down into horrible farming drudgery. The farmiest I've gotten has been a 20 minute stint sailing around Censor's Arch after Lifebergs.

Is there an easy way to find out where undersea ports are on the map, even just to which tile they're in, whether I should sail E/SE/NE from London? I can find some locations in my savefile by looking at the list under TileConfig.Tiles and the Position of the tile that includes them, but it doesn't include Hideaway, or Irem, or a few other ports I need to visit. I tried using Texmod like the wiki said, but it's not working for me right now.

Undersea ports are always near an associated above-water location (i.e. they're always in the same tile). The wiki lists which tile each undersea location is in.

Also, your Zee-bat can find undersea locations for some reason.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

cheetah7071 posted:

Undersea ports are always near an associated above-water location (i.e. they're always in the same tile). The wiki lists which tile each undersea location is in.

Also, your Zee-bat can find undersea locations for some reason.
Yeah, but the Zee-bat and sonar will just say "Something's off to the <Direction>", which is not as helpful as I'd like. Undersea locations always being in the same tile as an above-ground location is helpful, though, since I can easily find that tile.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

what do you guys farm for echoes? i've been hunting lorn-flukes for their cores because they are so easy to kill with a little cheesey sailing
In addition to what's already been posted, there's a trade route guide on the wiki, as well as this totally bonkers guide to breaking the game.

I dunno if I'd recommend getting super serious about either one of those options, as trading alone is dull as heck, and if you wanna totally break the game you can just edit your savegame and be done with it.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

Lifebergs are what work best for me.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
What the gently caress, Mutton Island?!

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.

Soup du Journey posted:

What the gently caress, Mutton Island?!

Hey, let he who has never Done any of the variety of terrible things cast the first musket ball.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Doubtful Guest posted:

Hey, let he who has never Done any of the variety of terrible things cast the first musket ball.

The first time I got to Mutton Island's big change I was already a cannibal so to save myself I just joined in their feast like it was no big deal so yeah, can't really point fingers on that one.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

vyelkin posted:

The first time I got to Mutton Island's big change I was already a cannibal so to save myself I just joined in their feast like it was no big deal so yeah, can't really point fingers on that one.

I am that man too. I showed up and "something is wrong." So I stroll into the tavern and sit down for a plate of long pig like it's any other Friday before sailing off to Port Carnelian to turn my Maenad into a zubmarine.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Hexenritter posted:

I am that man too. I showed up and "something is wrong." So I stroll into the tavern and sit down for a plate of long pig like it's any other Friday before sailing off to Port Carnelian to turn my Maenad into a zubmarine.

Third. Is there any reason not to be a cannibal? Unlike FL it doesn't seem to actually, you know, hurt you.

Also the navy showed up to quarantine the place, which surprised me because I didn't actually think they had any ships at all left.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

NewMars posted:

Third. Is there any reason not to be a cannibal? Unlike FL it doesn't seem to actually, you know, hurt you.

Also the navy showed up to quarantine the place, which surprised me because I didn't actually think they had any ships at all left.

:hf: cannibros

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

So will someone just spoil what the deal is with the dawn machine for me? They're the actually competent members of the navy who've gone rogue and started building an artificial star, which is magic, right?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

wiegieman posted:

So will someone just spoil what the deal is with the dawn machine for me? They're the actually competent members of the navy who've gone rogue and started building an artificial star, which is magic, right?

It's far worse than merely magic. Stars in FL are Judgements, who decide the laws of the universe. Whatever touches their light is subject to the Law. And the Law of the Dawn Machine is Enslavement.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

wiegieman posted:

In a word, yes. Rogue elements of the admiralty are attempting to build an artificial star for the Neath. It's not magic per se, but it has the fundamental nature of a star, which is an entire thing in the setting. If you're not familiar, stars are sentient and have something of a portfolio of what they do and don't like to exist. The light from the stars continually 'judges' the things it hits - if the things fit with what the star likes, it grows stronger. If it doesn't, it will die, though slowly. Sol is no exception, and it is not a fan of anything in the Neath; this is why your crew will slowly die if you make trips up to the surface. None of you should exist as far as Sol is concerned, so it will slowly poison you to death.

The idea behind the Dawn Machine is that if you raise a star in the Neath, it will kill off the dozens upon dozens of horrifying abominations that you tangle with on a day to day basis and life will get better.

The problem is that manufacturing sentience is a pretty hard thing, and the Dawn Machine is insane. It does not want to exist, and if it must exist, it is liable to take every bit of life it can illuminate with it.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

That's grimdark as gently caress.

:allears: The writing for this setting

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
You know, I really wish raising Supremacy: London made friendly ships appear a lot more and further out, or something.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
I'm just glad that civilian ships have stopped randomly teleporting away while I try to hoist the black flag.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Oh, or another idea: at max supremacy, London pulling a commodore Perry and giving you automatic access to the Nephrite quarter in the khanate!

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Christ. I just drifted back from Kingeater's Castle all the way to London at speed 1 after an event killed two of my crew and took me me below 50 percent. I had to do most of it with my light off, burning engines to get away from enemies, and when I finally limped into port I was at 100 terror, half hull, with two remaining crew and no reserve fuel.

It took me what felt like an hour, and the whole time I was sure I was going to eat poo poo from a random event from being at 100 terror or running into an enemy I couldn't run away from. That is for sure the last time I leave port with 8/15 crew to try to game supplies consumption.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Okay, so I got the magician crewmember, the guy with a hook hand. According to the wiki I need a random even in venderblight that has a 4% chance of occuring (the snake statue/totem one) to continue his story, and I'm reallllly, hoping someone here can tell me there's a better place to go for the event, anyone?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

King Doom posted:

Okay, so I got the magician crewmember, the guy with a hook hand. According to the wiki I need a random even in venderblight that has a 4% chance of occuring (the snake statue/totem one) to continue his story, and I'm reallllly, hoping someone here can tell me there's a better place to go for the event, anyone?

Go to Irem and take some coffee with you.

vetinari100
Nov 8, 2009

> Make her pay.

King Doom posted:

You can find it in Irem. Bring some coffee.

e: f, b

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Sunless Skies dang well better have a proper quest log. Also, some kind of vendor index and an actual in-game journal I could write in. I'm doing way too much alt-tabbing here!!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Soup du Journey posted:

Sunless Skies dang well better have a proper quest log. Also, some kind of vendor index and an actual in-game journal I could write in. I'm doing way too much alt-tabbing here!!

I'd just kill for windowing I could change the size of.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Coolguye posted:

In a word, yes. Rogue elements of the admiralty are attempting to build an artificial star for the Neath. It's not magic per se, but it has the fundamental nature of a star, which is an entire thing in the setting. If you're not familiar, stars are sentient and have something of a portfolio of what they do and don't like to exist. The light from the stars continually 'judges' the things it hits - if the things fit with what the star likes, it grows stronger. If it doesn't, it will die, though slowly. Sol is no exception, and it is not a fan of anything in the Neath; this is why your crew will slowly die if you make trips up to the surface. None of you should exist as far as Sol is concerned, so it will slowly poison you to death.

The idea behind the Dawn Machine is that if you raise a star in the Neath, it will kill off the dozens upon dozens of horrifying abominations that you tangle with on a day to day basis and life will get better.

The problem is that manufacturing sentience is a pretty hard thing, and the Dawn Machine is insane. It does not want to exist, and if it must exist, it is liable to take every bit of life it can illuminate with it.

This is all lies, the Dawn Machine is all about chilling out, sipping prisoner's honey, sharing secrets, and telling zee-ztories.
UN. THE SUN. THE SUN. THE SUN. THE SUN. THE SUN. THE SUN. THE SUN. THE SUN. THE SUN. THE SUN. THE SUN. THE SUN. THE SUN. THE SUN. THE SUN. THE SUN. THE SUN. THE SUN. THE SUN. THE SUN. THE SUN. THE SUN. THE SUN. THE SUN. THE SUN. THE SUN. THE SUN. THE SUN. THE SUN. THE SUN. THE SUN. THE SUN. THE SUN. THE SUN. THE SUN. THE SUN. THE SUN. THE SUN. THE SUN. THE SUN. THE SUN. THE SUN. THE SUN. THE SUN. THE SUN. THE SUN. THE SUN. THE SUN. THE SUN. THE SUN. THE SUN. THE SUN. THE SUN. THE SUN. THE SUN. THE SUN. THE SUN. THE SUN. THE SUN. THE SUN. THE SUN. THE SUN. THE SUN. THE SUN. THE SUN. THE SUN. THE SUN. THE S

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

NewMars posted:

You know, I really wish raising Supremacy: London made friendly ships appear a lot more and further out, or something.

or you know did literally anything besides give you a couple of minor treasures and keep other supremacies from loving you over

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Supporting Her Enduring Majesty is it's own reward :britain:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Soup du Journey posted:

I have what basically amounts to a captain's log on the desk for when I play Sunless Sea. There's so many quests and errands that require certain things, and having it all written down helps me plan longer excursions. A list of port prices and notes for the current deals at the Rose Market, Parliament of Flies and so on also comes in handy quite often.

It would be great to have something like that generated in-game though...

Edit: dedicate a little space in your hold to mushroom wine, coffee and foxfire candles. There are a number of different events where these come in handy.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

How do you kill Mount Nomad without dying horribly? I have the strongest weapon in the game, but it seems nowhere near strong enough.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Doomed monster hunters.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

vegetables posted:

How do you kill Mount Nomad without dying horribly? I have the strongest weapon in the game, but it seems nowhere near strong enough.

Big ship + one of the best engines in the game + blue scintilliack + lots and lots of pneumatic ratsenders.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

vegetables posted:

I haven't actually done this but according to this guide on how to break the game the best way is to use the Whither trick to boost your mirrors and iron to like 200+ each, then just sit in front of it and spam your weapons because you can fire almost instantaneously and do massive amounts of damage. In fact the end stage of his guide on breaking the game involves doing just that over and over again to get massive rewards.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I actually knocked it out once yesterday by circling it at max range (used the Compulsion engine for this) with lights off and taking potshots when I could. My veils aren't super high at all, but it could never get close enough to start working on a firing solution.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
I brought like 6 or 7 flares, that was nice.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.
Isn't Mt Nomad basically 2 treasures worth of Doomed Monster Hunters and gg no re

I mean farming him isn't the same as killing him in express pursuit of an ending.

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack
I have played this game 16 hours now, and while the stories and atmosphere are great and many locations are interesting, I am very saddened that no matter what I do the actual boating around from place to place is the same experience every time, unless I am missing something completing storylines does not seem to alter the prevalance of enemies, the toughness or quantity of them, or have any other visible or other noticable effect on the boating about world where a lot of ones time is spent going from place to place. At this point I usually just set the direction where the boat is to go, then start reading a book or magazine until I arrive, unless I know the route has a few dangerous enemies in the area or other hazards.

I might not have completed enough quests i guess, but i was hoping you could like disturb some ancient evil that would cause sea monsters to go apeshit in numbers and aggressiveness and increased npc boat battles/activity or wars. It is very sad because the map is very beautiful and eerie, but aside from the first exploration trip you really don't have a reason to stop and enjoy it or search for secrets or accomplish quests or things like that. There does not seem to be random or set events happening in the Zea based on anything you do beyond what you read upon turning in quests at a port.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

vegetables posted:

Turn your lights off. Dunno why, but after I bought the zubmariner dlc Nomad just couldn't find me with my deck lights off.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I never figured out how to play the game in Fullscreen Windowed mode while browsing the internet on another monitor. If I had I might have beaten it, as it is I lost my third 15+ hour run without getting to the second ship. May try again without the permadeath on, but if I do I'm gonna figure out how to speed up the boats.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.

Koboje posted:

It is very sad because the map is very beautiful and eerie, but aside from the first exploration trip you really don't have a reason to stop and enjoy it or search for secrets or accomplish quests or things like that.

The game has like, 3 distinct phases for every captain (to my eye at least).

1) sketching out the map and trying to establish that first foothold financially
2) repeatedly circling the map to accomplish the limited-time offer trades and major quests
3) Fulgent Impeller + Suppressor + Memento Mori POWER HOUR. You are perma-boosted, you are doing like 200dps to monsters, and your biggest limitation is waiting long enough between ports to get Something Awaits You triggers.

1) and 2) are the best parts, but 2) is the part that changes based upon the vagaries of RNG events and map scatter. It is also the part that is tremendously expanded by Zubmariner.

When you're just pounding away at 3), you're buying 20/30 fuel at a clip and crossing the entire map, end-to-end, in minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

The writing is good enough, just cheatengine it to give a shitload of echoes, buy secrets in Irem to boost your character if you want/need. You still can fail and do some stupid poo poo that gets you killed, but at least isn't a drag anymore.

• Locked thread