Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

fuf posted:

Wordpress thread recently reminded me about https://www.google.com/recaptcha

But might be impossible to implement if you can't edit the form.

One thing I noticed with reCAPTCHA is that I was still getting a lot of spam until I went into "Advanced Settings" on the google control panel for each site and changed "Security Preference" to "Most Secure" - easy to miss.

I've had a look at that, the problem is what you do if JavaScript is turned off? There's a noscript version but it's not much use if I don't process the form on my server.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
If you want to validate this data beforehand, why don't you just implement a proxy on a server you control? I.E. Have the form send data to your server, where you can validate it, and then send fully validated data to their form's endpoint? I don't really see how you can achieve this any other way and thinking about javascript being turned off is really a red herring imo.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Coffee Mugshot posted:

If you want to validate this data beforehand, why don't you just implement a proxy on a server you control? I.E. Have the form send data to your server, where you can validate it, and then send fully validated data to their form's endpoint? I don't really see how you can achieve this any other way and thinking about javascript being turned off is really a red herring imo.

I figured that would be one way to go.

You know who doesn't use javascript? Spambots.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

nexus6 posted:

I figured that would be one way to go.

eh i've dealt with a TON of complete browser spambots and scrapers, that execute js and all (so I just feed them while(true) loops)

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I

Lumpy posted:

Anyone used Affinity Designer? (https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/ui-design-software/) I love me some Sketch, but there's some things I don't like about it, and this seems pretty cool.

ddiddles posted:

Same here, been running a mac VM for sketch, but its a pain.

Trying out the Windows beta now though.

Trip report.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRz8-EXlhBo

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I just finished a single page django website portfolio with the following stats:

Page size 7.9 MB
Requests 83
Load time 2.40 s

First, are these decent speeds? I tried keeping all images under 200kb. The majority of the requests are for images that I was thinking I could use a jQuery plugin to not load them until details for a specific project and its images are opened. I was also going to move all the requests for jQuery plugins to CDNs. The remaining requests are for Google fonts, style sheets, and some other images that appear always on the page.

Edit: The only thing pingdom.com says I failed on is "Leverage browser caching". I imagine a person is only going to visit my website once so I don't think that'd be useful?

huhu fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Oct 15, 2016

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

huhu posted:

I just finished a single page django website portfolio with the following stats:

Page size 7.9 MB
Requests 83
Load time 2.40 s

First, are these decent speeds? I tried keeping all images under 200kb. The majority of the requests are for images that I was thinking I could use a jQuery plugin to not load them until details for a specific project and its images are opened. I was also going to move all the requests for jQuery plugins to CDNs. The remaining requests are for Google fonts, style sheets, and some other images that appear always on the page.

Edit: The only thing pingdom.com says I failed on is "Leverage browser caching". I imagine a person is only going to visit my website once so I don't think that'd be useful?

The fact that they will visit only once probably means 2.4s per page load is actually hella slow.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

huhu posted:

Page size 7.9 MB
Requests 83
Load time 2.40 s

CDNs for scripts and lazy loading are all well and good, but a 7.8mb page and 83 requests are still quite a lot. Are you bundling your scripts?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Coffee Mugshot posted:

The fact that they will visit only once probably means 2.4s per page load is actually hella slow.

It's 2.4s for the entire single page website. Home, about, list of projects, and 18 project "pages", in total. Is that still too slow?

chami posted:

CDNs for scripts and lazy loading are all well and good, but a 7.8mb page and 83 requests are still quite a lot. Are you bundling your scripts?
To be exact the requests are 1 document, 2 fonts, 5 scripts, 5 style sheets, and 70 images. If I added one more jQuery plugin I could reduce the on page load image requests to 31. With regards to bundling, if I understand it correctly, it looks like if I added that extra plugin and then bundled, I could have 4 less requests for style sheets and 5 less requests for scripts? This would bring my total requests from 83 down to 36.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Are you loading fonts together (x|y|z) in a single request if it's googlefonts? Also, if you have some titles/logotype that only uses that font, you can restrict the font to only serve those letters, often resulting in a ~1-2KB file from fonts.googleapis.com

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

huhu posted:

It's 2.4s for the entire single page website. Home, about, list of projects, and 18 project "pages", in total. Is that still too slow?

To be exact the requests are 1 document, 2 fonts, 5 scripts, 5 style sheets, and 70 images. If I added one more jQuery plugin I could reduce the on page load image requests to 31. With regards to bundling, if I understand it correctly, it looks like if I added that extra plugin and then bundled, I could have 4 less requests for style sheets and 5 less requests for scripts? This would bring my total requests from 83 down to 36.

I'm assuming 2.4s is the total time before the browser stops working, but how long does it take from clicking the website's link to seeing content?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

gmq posted:

I'm assuming 2.4s is the total time before the browser stops working, but how long does it take from clicking the website's link to seeing content?
About 270ms.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Biowarfare posted:

Are you loading fonts together (x|y|z) in a single request if it's googlefonts? Also, if you have some titles/logotype that only uses that font, you can restrict the font to only serve those letters, often resulting in a ~1-2KB file from fonts.googleapis.com

What? I had no idea about that, that's amazing. Thank you!

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
When you try and verify a google search console property using an existing analytics tracking code it says:
"Your tracking code should be in the <head> section of your page."

I've always put the tracking code in the footer because of the standard advice to put javascript near the bottom so it doesn't block page rendering blah blah blah.

Is there an advantage to putting it in <head>?

e: bonus search console question: do I really need to add the www and non-www versions as two distinct properties for every single site?

fuf fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Oct 17, 2016

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

fuf posted:

When you try and verify a google search console property using an existing analytics tracking code it says:

I've always put the tracking code in the footer because of the standard advice to put javascript near the bottom so it doesn't block page rendering blah blah blah.

e: bonus search console question: do I really need to add the www and non-www versions as two distinct properties for every single site?

This is somewhat old advice. Chrome will now block on any script tags, no matter where they are, so may as well just put them in <head> to keep things clean.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

fuf posted:

I was under the impression that putting it in the head allows Google to track things before the rest of the page loads. So if your page is slow and a user clicks a link before it's fully loaded that click will still be tracked.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I was under the impression that it was defer async anyway so it doesn't matter, all google properties serve web traffic over UDP anyway, and putting at the bottom was old-style to prevent synchronous scripts from blocking until rendered

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

fuf posted:

Google tracking builds up a run time object with events to send async for logging, it would appear some event is ready to be tracked but the record has not been defined yet.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I don't know how many of you guys are ecommerce based, but maybe keep an eye on "too good to be true" orders for a while, as the normal Q4 fraud season is starting up again. Be especially wary of orders from Florida in the states and Quebec in Canada. Seen about $100,000 combined across several client properties in the last two weeks.

Just burns my butt we can't get any of these people arrested, since I have all the info: a phone number, an ip address, and a shipping address, enough at least to start an investigation. But since it's all cross border, the local law enforcement doesn't care, and national law enforcement only cares about the big stuff.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Scaramouche posted:

I don't know how many of you guys are ecommerce based, but maybe keep an eye on "too good to be true" orders for a while, as the normal Q4 fraud season is starting up again. Be especially wary of orders from Florida in the states and Quebec in Canada. Seen about $100,000 combined across several client properties in the last two weeks.

Just burns my butt we can't get any of these people arrested, since I have all the info: a phone number, an ip address, and a shipping address, enough at least to start an investigation. But since it's all cross border, the local law enforcement doesn't care, and national law enforcement only cares about the big stuff.

You're in ecommerce so there's something I've been trying to figure out: wtf is the point of 3dsecure in the states? I have to use it every single time I pay my european service providers and it just redirects me to a random domain without a EV cert with a long random subdomain that just has an empty page with a submit button.

My bank clearly supports 3DS in some way by returning a valid ok response, it just doesn't prompt me for any information or anything at all, and the domain is a wholly unrelated domain without any indicators of the company backing it in a random popup. There is no JS executing to collect system information either, it's just literally a <form><input type=submit><input type=hidden></form>

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yeah I've implemented it a few times (as Verified by Visa/Mastercard Securecode/AMEX Safekey), usually with a custom XML handler of some kind. The idea is that a transaction is verified by 3 different interest holders using a verification scheme (password, token, etc.) specific to the card being used. Those gobbledygook domains are usually some kind of outsourced third party since every single crappy little bank that issues cards doesn't have the IT infrastructure to support the authentication server, and most of the big banks are all using the same third party mega company (emv I think). They used to be hot on it (I remember Visa required it at some point for level 1 processors), but the whole standard is in specifications hell right now apparently with some guys using version 1.0 and other guys investing in draft versions of 2.0. In my opinion from a security standpoint it's basically another CVV check that goes through different servers. Again, in my opinion, it was a flawed idea and execution resulting in end-user resentment from an extra step, an actual reduction of confidence due to the weird interstitial domains, and introduced yet another point at which MiTM can happen without any tangible benefit. Others might disagree though.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Can anyone explain

In case it's not clear, that element's set to display: table-cell* on the element, but the computed display type is block. The hell?

*yes, I hate twisting divs into table-based layout, too, but I didn't start this thing and I don't have time to re-do it all

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

What's the context?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
When I did some older websites, I didn't realize that only (555) 555-5555 style numbers get auto-translated into click-to-call for mobile browsers, while things like 555-555-5555 or 555.555.5555 wouldn't. Is there some jQuery I can plug in that will translate those numbers into click-to-call links, or do I have to go in to all my old sites and manually code in the href="tel:" thing?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

kedo posted:

What's the context?

Form layout, or do you mean you want to see more styles?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Munkeymon posted:

Form layout, or do you mean you want to see more styles?

I'm wondering what its containing elements are and what styles they have.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

kedo posted:

I'm wondering what its containing elements are and what styles they have.

http://imgur.com/a/iAv6Q

Sorry about the screenshots - I'm trying not to leak company details.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Munkeymon posted:

http://imgur.com/a/iAv6Q

Sorry about the screenshots - I'm trying not to leak company details.

Its that float:left on granpa

https://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/visuren.html#dis-pos-flo

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

BJPaskoff posted:

When I did some older websites, I didn't realize that only (555) 555-5555 style numbers get auto-translated into click-to-call for mobile browsers, while things like 555-555-5555 or 555.555.5555 wouldn't. Is there some jQuery I can plug in that will translate those numbers into click-to-call links, or do I have to go in to all my old sites and manually code in the href="tel:" thing?

I imagine you could write a script that uses regex to go through and replace all of the phone numbers to clickable versions on page load.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

It doesn't say that applies to children, though? Otherwise you couldn't float a table.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
I am sofa king stupid. I astound myself at how little I actually know. Please help or kill me.

The goal:
- Submit a form offsite from a popup overlay
- Validate the data inputs
- Display a 'thank you' message, keeping the user on the page

This first portion below is the form processing (popform). It works great - except the form validation doesn't work in Safari (because html5 and 'required'). It does everything else I need it to: namely validating (again, except in safari) and then posting the form data offsite without leaving the page, instead showing the pretty 'thanks' div. If Safari weren't an issue, I'd be golden.

It uses the class 'popform' to perform it's actions on inherited inputs.

The second blob, 'hasHtml5Validation', uses the 'validate-form' class and calls a small .js file. Validation works in all browsers, except it sends the user offsite.

I've tried adding both classes to the form, no go. I've tried changing them both to use the same class. Nope.

Finally, as seen in the bottom chunk, I took the form processing function and put it in the 'else' portion of the 'hasHtml5Validation' code. Validation works, the form posts, but it still goes offsite.

Frankly, I think that the bottom most portion makes the most sense - I think that the entire problem is that the POST is working fine, and when using only 'popform', we're good because it is making the round robin trip of POST, then GET, so the page stays intact. I just can't make them work together.

code:
<head>
<!-- form submission processing - let's call it 'popform' -->
<script type='text/javascript'>
	$(document).ready(function() {
  $('form.popform').submit(function(event) {
    var message = "<div class='thanks'>Thank you for subscribing</div>";
    var formData = {
      'firstName': $('input[name=firstName]').val(),
      'lastName': $('input[name=lastName]').val(),
      'EmailAddress': $('input[name=EmailAddress]').val()
    };

$.ajax({
        type: 'GET',
        crossOrigin: true,
        url: 'http://111111.t.eloqua.com/e/f2?elqFormName=interstitial&elqSiteID=111111',
        data: formData,
        encode: true
      })
      .done(function() {
        $("form.popform").html(message);
      })
      .fail(function() {
      })
      .error(function() {
      });
    event.preventDefault();
  });
});
</script>
</head>

<body>
<div>
<center>

<form method="post" action="https://111111.t.eloqua.com/e/f2" name="interstitial" class="popform ">

<h4 style="padding:20px;padding-bottom: 5px;">Get the latest delivered right to your inbox!</h4>
	<input type="hidden" name="elqFormName" value="interstitial">
	<input type="hidden" name="elqSiteID" value="111111">
	<input name="elqCampaignId" type="hidden"  />

<input  id="firstName" maxlength="40"   name="firstName" style="width: 160px;" placeholder="* First Name" type="text"  required><br />
	<input  id="lastName" maxlength="80" name="lastName" style="width: 160px;"  placeholder="* Last Name" type="text"  required><br />
	<input  id="emailAddress" maxlength="100"  name="EmailAddress" style="width: 163px;margin-left:2px;"  placeholder=" * Email Address"  type="email" required>

<br /><br />

<input type="submit" class="submit" value="Sign Up">
	</form>

<div id="closebar">
	<a href="#" onClick="javascript:$().interstitial('close'); return false">Close this window</a>
</div>

</center>
</div>
</body>
</html>
This is the function to do validation_for_safari - this works for validating the elements (normal for everything bu Safari, CSS for Safari), assigning the proper class as needed - except the #closebar no longer works(!) and the form posts to the remote URL. Which of course it should since theres nothing telling it to stay and show the 'thanks' div as seen above. Again I think it's the GET loving me up...

code:
<head>
	<script src='http://cdnjs.cloudflare.com/ajax/libs/jquery/2.1.3/jquery.min.js'></script>
	<script src="validate.js"></script>
</head>

<body>
<div>
<center>

<form method="post" action="https://111111.t.eloqua.com/e/f2" name="interstitial"  class="validate-form">

<h4 style="padding:20px;padding-bottom: 5px;">Get the latest delivered right to your inbox!</h4>
	<input type="hidden" name="elqFormName" value="interstitial">
	<input type="hidden" name="elqSiteID" value="111111">
	<input name="elqCampaignId" type="hidden"  />

<input  id="firstName" maxlength="40"   name="firstName" style="width: 160px;" placeholder="* First Name" type="text"  required><br />
	<input  id="lastName" maxlength="80" name="lastName" style="width: 160px;"  placeholder="* Last Name" type="text"  required><br />
	<input  id="emailAddress" maxlength="100"  name="EmailAddress" style="width: 163px;margin-left:2px;"  placeholder=" * Email Address"  type="email" required>

<br /><br />

<input type="submit" class="submit" value="Sign Up">
	</form>

<div id="closebar">
	<a href="#" onClick="javascript:$().interstitial('close'); return false">Close this window</a>
</div>

</center>
</div>
</body>
</html>
This is the validate.js file referenced above.
code:
function hasHtml5Validation () {
  return typeof document.createElement('input').checkValidity === 'function';
}

if (hasHtml5Validation()) {
  $('.validate-form').submit(function (e) {
    if (!this.checkValidity()) {
      e.preventDefault();
      $(this).addClass('invalid');
    } else {
      $(this).addClass('valid');
    }
  });
}
This is the attempt to combine functions in validate.js - same issue - validates and submits but goes offsite.
code:
function hasHtml5Validation () {
  return typeof document.createElement('input').checkValidity === 'function';
}

if (hasHtml5Validation()) {

// 			if the browser can handle html5 validation, proceed
						$('.validate-form').submit(function (e) {

//   		but, if the browser can't - ahem, Safari - do stuff
if (!this.checkValidity()) {
      					e.preventDefault();

//       	if the form elements aren't filled properly, error style appropriate elements
	  					$(this).addClass('invalid');

} else {
// 			all is ok, so remove the error styling
      					$(this).removeClass('invalid');

//       	then begin processing the eloqua form
						$(document).ready(function() {
						$('form.validate-form').submit(function(event) {
						var message = "<div class='thanks'>Thank you for subscribing</div>";
						var formData = {
						'firstName': $('input[name=firstName]').val(),
						'lastName': $('input[name=lastName]').val(),
						'EmailAddress': $('input[name=EmailAddress]').val()
						};

$.ajax({
						type: 'GET',
						crossOrigin: true,
						url: 'http://111111.t.eloqua.com/e/f2?elqFormName=interestitial&elqSiteID=111111',
						data: formData,
						encode: true
						})
						.done(function() {
						$("form.validate-form").html(message);
						})
						.fail(function() {
						})
						.error(function() {
						});
						event.preventDefault();
						});
						});
    }
  });
}

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I don't know if this is the right place for this, I'm a sys admin and know very little about webservers, design, etc.

A request came in, some folks who manage our internal web apps want us to change the 'check for a newer version of stored pages' setting in IE to "every time I visit the webpage". According to them "we deploy updates often and users will not see the updates until they refresh the page, clear their temp files etc"

This can be done through modification of a client registry key, but this got me digging into things. While this would accomplish what they want it seems like it's not the best way to handle the problem. This would affect all browser client traffic on all computers in the company. It seems to me a better solution would for the web app owners to look into modifying their cache control headers for their web apps and adjust them accordingly. What would be the best way to handle this particular issue?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

skipdogg posted:

I don't know if this is the right place for this, I'm a sys admin and know very little about webservers, design, etc.

A request came in, some folks who manage our internal web apps want us to change the 'check for a newer version of stored pages' setting in IE to "every time I visit the webpage". According to them "we deploy updates often and users will not see the updates until they refresh the page, clear their temp files etc"

This can be done through modification of a client registry key, but this got me digging into things. While this would accomplish what they want it seems like it's not the best way to handle the problem. This would affect all browser client traffic on all computers in the company. It seems to me a better solution would for the web app owners to look into modifying their cache control headers for their web apps and adjust them accordingly. What would be the best way to handle this particular issue?

Modiflying cache headers as you mentioned is your best bet.

The other thing to do is modifying filenames / appending to them when things change. For example, if your page has javascript in script.js and it changes, well, maybe the user is getting a cached version. If your filename is script.somelongassmd5hashorwhatever.js and the update makes it script.someotherhash.js then hooray, it's a new file to the browser. If for some reason the file names *must* stay the same, you can append query strings to them to attempt to cache bust: script.js?ver=timestamp so it looks different to the browser, but not to the sever.

If your web guys are lazy and can't won't change the script tags (or CSS tags or whatever) in the HTML, then you are kind of screwed.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Munkeymon posted:

It doesn't say that applies to children, though? Otherwise you couldn't float a table.

Sorry, I'm retarded. :smith:

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Woo big ol DDOS today:
http://gizmodo.com/this-is-probably-why-half-the-internet-shut-down-today-1788062835

All the sites I work on are okay, but their hosts' site and management interfaces are MIA. This includes BlueHost, HostGator, PayPal and Braintree. Luckily I'm in Canada so the major payment processors are still online.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
A few weeks ago I was asking about UX/UI help for a redesign of my website (http://thesavvybackpacker.com) — specifically its navigation. I realized that I was in over my head so I'm curious how much it would cost to hire someone to help sort this issue out. And where would I find this help?

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

nexus6 posted:

Wrong.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

skipdogg posted:

This is exactly the normal result if management is allowed to unilaterally construct their own "solutions" to technical problems. Godspeed my friend.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Could you elaborate? I'm genuinely interested as a few of my clients get a lot of spam and it seems like disabling JavaScript would be an easy way to get around form validation, especially if there is no server-side validation, as seems to be the case with a few of my forms.

Before you ask, the reason there isn't any server-side validation is because the forms are processed by a third party (email marketing software), not me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gul Banana
Nov 28, 2003

submit the forms to your own server and pass them on to the third party product after validation