Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

that's not how they explained it, though. the poison doesn't just spread, it propagates.

Does it matter. Meruem was in the middle of explosion and heavily contaminated. Youpi followed him in and brought him out before he and Pouf fed themselves to him to heal the guy. As he was heavily poisoned and they spent the entire time with him, along with Youpi and Pouf weakening themselves a lot they died to the poison first. (Youpi also entered the explosion area which also likely did not help.) Pouf also spread his now poisoned scales to the brainwashed crowd which is what resulted in most of them dying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if someone replies to me with an obviously incorrect correction, then i get drawn in every time no matter how trivial the point of contention is.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Just lmao if anyone thought the bomb was cool it was super clear what Togashi intended for it. It's not exactly heavy handed but it's very unsubtle.

Godzilla came out in 1954 you're way too loving late on that

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Deified Data posted:

I mean I know it was all couched in "this is not the real world" magical poo poo like poison and rose-shaped clouds but I thought Meruem's symptoms (erratic behavior, what appear to be headaches, his general memory fuckery, death within a matter of hours) was meant to mirror the neurovascular effects of ARS. Just thought it was an intesting (and good) choice to have this formidable character brought down by the passive after effects of such a powerful weapon - I don't think it was an accurate portrayal of actual acute radiation poisoning.

Part of the reason it was couched in "this is not the real world" was because midway through the nuke reveal the radiation scare happened in Japan after that earthquake and some nuclear plant leaked.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Finished this last night and now I'm sad.

The ending was everything I needed it to be. I'm glad Gon finally found Ging but I'm even more happy Ging got called out as a terrible parent and person in front of the entire Hunter Association. Leorio punching him was one of the best moments in the series and it sucks we didn't get to see more of his nen powers. Seeing Gon happy and healthy again (especially's Leorio's reaction) was another bawl like a baby moment.

Didn't like how they handled Kurapika but i guess they didn't know they'd be ending the series where they ended it when they were wrapping up Yorknew, so they left his story unresolved. I was super disappointed we didn't get a resolution to Chrollo either, but there's nothing they could have done for it besides diverging from the manga. Was the last we see of Hisoka really just killing people in the woods with Illumi? Of all the people to get a "this is what they're doing now" scene in the ending montage I expected him to be one of them.

Couple misc. questions: What was the implication behind the fake Gotoh at the end? Or was it the real Gotoh and Hisoka killed a fake? Wondering if maybe this was more clear in the manga.

Also was Alluka a boy or a girl? Different characters referred to him/her differently.

TurkeyFried
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk:
Alluka's a trans-girl. The family refers to her as a boy because other than Killua they don't really care.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Deified Data posted:

Also was Alluka a boy or a girl? Different characters referred to him/her differently.

:iiam:

Worth reading the manga from where the anime ended imo because Togashi is drawing well again though some of the translations are loving dreadful. Would definitely recommend picking up the legal bundle on Viz of all the non-volume chapters.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

i wear no mask

No mask? No mask!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Deified Data posted:

Couple misc. questions: What was the implication behind the fake Gotoh at the end? Or was it the real Gotoh and Hisoka killed a fake? Wondering if maybe this was more clear in the manga.

The implication was that they're hiding Gotoh's death from Killua, for some reason.

Killua called Alluka a girl, everyone else called them a boy (or an "it"). The story never makes a huge deal of it, but the implication is that Alluka is biologically male but identifies as female, and Killua's the only person who respects her enough to acknowledge that. Or something.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
On picking up the manga where the anime left off...I'm not sure. I like where the anime ended. I hear the manga takes off into some awesome territory and more Leorio and Kurapika sounds awesome, but if I just ignore it until its a complete arc I can pretend HxH had a complete, satisfying run.

TurkeyFried posted:

Alluka's a trans-girl. The family refers to her as a boy because other than Killua they don't really care.

I figured this was the case but wondered if the subs got it wrong once or twice.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Japanese pronouns usually leave gender vague, but there's at least one conversation early on where Killua and his father explicitly use different gendered pronouns in the same scene. Most of it after that was the translator just trying to keep track of who used what.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Deified Data posted:

On picking up the manga where the anime left off...I'm not sure. I like where the anime ended. I hear the manga takes off into some awesome territory and more Leorio and Kurapika sounds awesome, but if I just ignore it until its a complete arc I can pretend HxH had a complete, satisfying run.

I figured this was the case but wondered if the subs got it wrong once or twice.

The following event occurs in the chapters released

Chrollo and Hisoka duke it out

Not a huge spoiler but in case you want to know literally nothing

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

EmmyOk posted:

The following event occurs in the chapters released

Chrollo and Hisoka duke it out

Not a huge spoiler but in case you want to know literally nothing

That's all I needed to change my mind, holy poo poo.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Clarste posted:

The implication was that they're hiding Gotoh's death from Killua, for some reason.

Gotoh is one of the few people Killua was close to before he met Gon. Killua finding out Gotoh was killed would not be the best thing, in their view. It would have less impact on him than if Gon had died, but still, they were closer than Killua was with most of his actual family.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Yeah and it basically lives up to what you always wanted imho.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Another reason for them to want to hide Gotoh's death fro Killua is that it was partly his fault it happened by getting Gotoh involved and he would probably blame himself.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

Yeah and it basically lives up to what you always wanted imho.

Before it happened I used to think it could never end up being satisfying just because of the hype, but the way it ended up being was so surprising and pleasant that I was glad to swallow my words. It also made me interested in the phantom troupe again after them being somewhat boring in their chimera ant intermission.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
It was definitely one of the most interesting, and almost certainly the most technical fight in the series so far. I had to reread it a couple of times to fully understand it and all the crazy poo poo that was most likely happening behind the scenes.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the most amazing thing about togashi is that he doesn't carefully plan out power interactions and such any more. instead, he has been doing shounen manga for so long that he does it all instinctively.

the second most amazing thing about togashi is his release schedule and the dumb reason behind it.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Deified Data posted:

That's all I needed to change my mind, holy poo poo.

Yes, join us in our neverending hell of waiting for Togashi. It's so painful because somehow it's always worth the wait.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the second most amazing thing about togashi is his release schedule and the dumb reason behind it.

its truly impressive at how dumb it is

and the fact no doctor apparently was able to determine why his back hurt

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Ooof, so the 1999 anime really leaves off with Greed Island, huh? Is it generally worth watching?

I liked how the first episode actually worked Kite in.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Deified Data posted:

Ooof, so the 1999 anime really leaves off with Greed Island, huh? Is it generally worth watching?

I only watched a little bit of it myself so maybe Yorknew or Greed Island are better but... no, you're pretty much good.

Meat Miracle
Oct 24, 2010

Deified Data posted:

Worked him in nothing, Kite was in the first chapter of the manga, its just the new anime that (perplexingly) seems to have left him out.:ssh:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Meat Miracle posted:

Worked him in nothing, Kite was in the first chapter of the manga, its just the new anime that (perplexingly) seems to have left him out.:ssh:

Yeah it takes a lot of oomph out of the start of the Chimera Ants an even his death imho

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Deified Data posted:

1999 is weird. It follows the manga's plot (with a bit of filler) and does a great job of maintaining a tense atmosphere (something 2011 was bad at early on), but makes a lot of subtle changes, mostly involving characterization, that you sort of have to "unlearn" by reading the manga. For example, Kurapica is given a lot more emotional vulnerability, Gon's mother is Mito's sister instead of being a complete unknown, Killua doesn't kill those two guys after the game against Netero, Killua declaring he'll capture is family is changed from silly bragging to sincere (though I might be misremembering this one), Beans straight up lies about the Hunter Exam being over, and the Hunters' Association seems less amoral in general.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Silver2195 posted:

1999 is weird. It follows the manga's plot (with a bit of filler) and does a great job of maintaining a tense atmosphere (something 2011 was bad at early on), but makes a lot of subtle changes, mostly involving characterization, that you sort of have to "unlearn" by reading the manga. For example, Kurapica is given a lot more emotional vulnerability, Gon's mother is Mito's sister instead of being a complete unknown, Killua doesn't kill those two guys after the game against Netero, Killua declaring he'll capture is family is changed from silly bragging to sincere (though I might be misremembering this one), Beans straight up lies about the Hunter Exam being over, and the Hunters' Association seems less amoral in general.

The Mito thing is odd. As she is explicitly stated to be on Ging's side of the family.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

1999 is weird. It follows the manga's plot (with a bit of filler) and does a great job of maintaining a tense atmosphere (something 2011 was bad at early on)

I actually really like that. The frivolity and casual nature with which random people are killed early on does a good job demonstrating just how hosed up and amoral human society is in HxH. It only gets tense later when there are actual major stakes for the main cast, which never REALLY happens in the first couple of arcs beyond Hisoka or Illumi thinking "I kinda want to kill them" and being talked down.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The 2011 makes changes I don't like as well at certain points, nothing major but certainly nigglesome. For example in the manga Gon, Kurapica, and Leorio are individually able to open the gate to the Zoldyck manor whereas in the anime all three have to work together to open even the smallest one. It's clearly a plot point to express unity and teamwork but it's needless when the show does that so well already and takes away from how much the gang improved during their stay.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
1999 has a really cool muted color thing going on, which I always liked. New series is really bright, which was off putting at first.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

Killua declaring he'll capture is family is changed from silly bragging to sincere (though I might be misremembering this one)

Killua's characterization is extremely different in the early 1999 anime. He starts out dark and brooding and only opens up because of Gon, as opposed to being super casual about everything, including his background.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

The 2011 makes changes I don't like as well at certain points, nothing major but certainly nigglesome. For example in the manga Gon, Kurapica, and Leorio are individually able to open the gate to the Zoldyck manor whereas in the anime all three have to work together to open even the smallest one. It's clearly a plot point to express unity and teamwork but it's needless when the show does that so well already and takes away from how much the gang improved during their stay.

I think the door is an arbitrary measure of improvement to the audience and the show still gives you the sense that "hey, everyone got stronger" while still having the Golly Gee Teamwork moment. Whether or not they can individually open the door doesn't really matter, because the door would not have opened without all of them getting stronger, and that's the important part.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Well, it's not totally arbitrary: it compares them directly to Killua, who was said to have opened three doors. So you can infer that Gon is roughly one eighth as strong as Killua, physically. It also made Leorio feel like he had more potential, maybe, since he was shown to be physically stronger than Gon.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Clarste posted:

Well, it's not totally arbitrary: it compares them directly to Killua, who was said to have opened three doors. So you can infer that Gon is roughly one eighth as strong as Killua, physically. It also made Leorio feel like he had more potential, maybe, since he was shown to be physically stronger than Gon.

Yes

Also it doesn't really add to the characters working together because up until that point they've done much more complex and difficult things as a team. Just the fact that they have all gone together to save Killua should be more than enough. It is a silly change.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Honestly, I took the change to be mostly a weird nod towards believability, since how the heck does wearing weights for a week make you that much stronger?

KoB
May 1, 2009

Clarste posted:

Honestly, I took the change to be mostly a weird nod towards believability, since how the heck does wearing weights for a week make you that much stronger?

anime

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Well, that's why it was weird.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Clarste posted:

You'd be quite surprised actually...

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Clarste posted:

They're all shown to be close to superhuman in the exam, so it's not as if they're starting from zero. Still, it was a little silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that was such an odd mini-arc, what with how the manga completely abandoned physical training as soon as nen was introduced