Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thengeance
Aug 1, 2013

bewbies posted:

never get married

Get married, buy her a pair of skates, watch her skate harder than your entire team. I have data that supports this strategy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

Bradf0rd posted:

Also, why would said idiot do it? I'm curious because I take mine off for hockey, softball, hiking, yard work, etc.

I wear mine. The first time I played I didn't even think about it which is kinda weird since it kinda bothers me to wear it and I've been married for a few years at this point and it still bothers me to wear it. The bonus to leaving it on at all times is that I haven't lost it or forgotten to put it back on ever. I could get away with not wearing one but I could tell that it makes my wife happy that I wear it so I just leave it on for everything simply so that I don't forget to put it back on or lose it. The only downside is that along with the usual holes that I wear into my gloves I now have a ring hole in my gloves too.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Hockles posted:

I believe he, and I, are reacting to why you aren't just letting your goalie make the saves.

This was our strategy last night. I'm pretty sure Bradf0rd faced ~70 shots last night. :v:

we also probably would have got our poo poo stomped in if it weren't for him:ssh:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Pleads posted:

I thought he couldn't backpedal on skates

why u gotta bring that up again

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Do you think they'd let me use this in games?

http://i.imgur.com/5ptpxaR.gifv

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

thengeance posted:

Get married, buy her a pair of skates, watch her skate harder than your entire team. I have data that supports this strategy.

That'd be pretty hot. Actually, it wouldn't be too hard with some of the people on my team.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

xzzy posted:

Do you think they'd let me use this in games?

http://i.imgur.com/5ptpxaR.gifv

I was hoping to see him get doored at the end of that clip.

There's nothing in the rule book about anal devices so sure?

Seriously though, that reminds me of the south park episode where garrison creates the vehicle that goes in your rear end and mouth.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Anybody know any retailers that sell 4 lie sticks? I might pick up a pro stock one to experiment with but I'm curious about retail options, if any. Probably not but yeah.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The goalie on my team broke his collarbone. There's a video of it happening and he just drops to the floor in pain, then kind of shakes it off, gets up, goes on to play the rest of the session making some great saves.

The next day his collar is black so he goes to get it seen to, its broke clean through. Turns out he also does photography as a hobby so now we have a ton of fantastic pictures of the team skating.

Goalies are tough/awesome

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Same thing happened to our winger, he even took a slap shot afterwards. It didn't go well but whatever.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
We played another seeding game last night and played better than we ever have before against a team that's supposed to be in our division. We ended up winning 8-1 which is usually the exact opposite of our usual outcome. Last season we went 5-17. We out shot them 45-22 which is also the opposite of our usual being out shot by a 2:1 ratio.

It was a weird game but our team was firing on all cylinders and the plays we made were real nice.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
I'm in Kauai. There's no hockey ice here. Please send help.

lol just kidding this place owns

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Duke Chin posted:

I was there last year. If there was an ice rink there and jobs in electrical engineering, I would have moved immediately.

Where you staying? Hike down into Waimea Canyon if you want a murder of a hike.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Duke Chin posted:

Why are you in Hawaii? You're missing the remnants of a typhoon that's going to hit seattle tonight. I thought we live in Seattle only to complain about the weather. And you're in Hawaii ... it's like you want sun and warmth.

I'm jealous.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

The team I'm putting together for the pond hockey tournament in Fairlee, Vermont has an open spot if anyone is interested. It's 1/27-1/29. Will run about $275 per person for the hotel and tournament fee. We're playing in the C/D division. http://frostbitefaceoff.com for more info.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Verman posted:

Why are you in Hawaii? You're missing the remnants of a typhoon that's going to hit seattle tonight. I thought we live in Seattle only to complain about the weather. And you're in Hawaii ... it's like you want sun and warmth.

I'm jealous.

You forgot complaining about Californians and traffic.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Where you staying? Hike down into Waimea Canyon if you want a murder of a hike.

Verman posted:

I'm jealous.

lol I'm in Hanalei mostly kicking it around there and lumahei and currently poo poo posting from tunnels beach but I fly back tomorrow night to see if my lower garage and all my hockey gear flooded.

2nd time I've been here and this place owns all the bones so...
Uhh..

Go to Maui instead. Not here. :v:

E: still can't find any hockey here

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 15, 2016

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
It'll take me a period or so to get used to them but after that I'm going to be super extra fast today because I got my annual skate sharpening done

Development
Jun 2, 2016

bewbies posted:

It'll take me a period or so to get used to them but after that I'm going to be super extra fast today because I got my annual skate sharpening done

annual? sarcasm?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

you must be new here

welcome to the hockey thread

hes serious

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457
It's Acethomas' new gear time, I ripped my pants down the front by being a big fatty and that means I have to buy all new gear so I can be matching and super cute.
Actually I'm just looking at pants and shins, I'll never give up my mako shoulders or eagle gloves. Any recos for the pants/shins? I had all Mako gear before and liked it enough, I usually play D so I get pelted quite a bit.

Acethomas fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Oct 17, 2016

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

CCM tacks shins are uncomfortable cheap garbage. The liner along your shin looks threadbare after three skates, and they never sit quite right on your legs and look a little bit crooked. They also have a cheap behind the knee nylon strap that chafes like hell. Most brands have a strap like that these days, but the CCM option is horrible.

Hunt down something with jofa/reebok straps because they loving own. Eyeballing stuff on hockeymonkey it looks like the sher-wood options are pretty close. They have some old reebok 10k's on clearance too which I might actually buy.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Just cut off the nylon strap and use something like this instead.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

The new quicklite line isn't that bad

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

xzzy posted:

CCM tacks shins are uncomfortable cheap garbage. The liner along your shin looks threadbare after three skates, and they never sit quite right on your legs and look a little bit crooked. They also have a cheap behind the knee nylon strap that chafes like hell. Most brands have a strap like that these days, but the CCM option is horrible.

Hunt down something with jofa/reebok straps because they loving own. Eyeballing stuff on hockeymonkey it looks like the sher-wood options are pretty close. They have some old reebok 10k's on clearance too which I might actually buy.

Oh poo poo, I didn't realize RBK wasn't doing gear anymore. I might need to buy another pair of shins now so I have a backup when mine die.

edit: The 16k KFS that HockeyMonkey has look to be exactly like the older 7K shins that I have and love.

Thufir fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 17, 2016

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, the reebok hockey arm consolidated under the CCM name. Which from what I can tell means they stopped making reebok stuff entirely and went for the CCM lines.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

xzzy posted:

Yeah, the reebok hockey arm consolidated under the CCM name. Which from what I can tell means they stopped making reebok stuff entirely and went for the CCM lines.

I think it's more of a line by line basis. The Ribcor is still the same RBK Ribcor from what I can tell.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
gently caress really? They honestly make the best shin guards.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Saw a video of our game and man, I am a much worse skater than I imagined. :smith:

I also confirmed to myself that I saved a likely goal on a breakaway by lifting the guy's stick, but then the puck went right to the trailer who had a wide open net after the forward and I fell over each other and slid into the wall. But I'll blame that on my D partner and the goalie.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I own goaled on Sunday, scrum in the crease, was trying to simultaneously clear a hole so my goalie could work and keep opponents sticks away. Puck somehow popped straight into the air, and as I was moving around I punched it right into the goal with my first.

It was straight out of Christmas Story at that point, as I watched the puck flip towards the net a slow "ohhhh fuuuuuccck" came out of my mouth.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

sellouts posted:

you must be new here

welcome to the hockey thread

hes serious

He also can't skate backwards and has a bad shot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceHgc-rBPik&t=58s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceHgc-rBPik&t=213s

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

bewbies posted:

I got my annual sharpening done last week, nearly died when I forgot and almost bailed into the boards.

I only got it done because i dropped a skate blade first on to my concrete balcony.

D C fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Oct 18, 2016

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

D C posted:

I only got it done because i dropped a skate blade first on to my concrete balcony.

Last Sunday one of our forwards had a game on the community ice just before our game on the big Everett silvertips' ice which, for reasons unknown, doesn't have any rubber mats between the two and he just strolled across, blades-on-concrete, giving zero fucks. :what:

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
For real how often do you guys get them done? It's been a couple months for me and they still feel pretty good.

Also, I built this pass rebounder tonight, it's sweet and was super easy to make. Wishing I had laminate instead of carpet in my basement so I wouldn't have to gently caress around with a shooting pad. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dhlSDeApFMU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I used to sharpen a lot but last year I realized it doesn't make much of a difference so I just kind of stopped. I think I last sharpened in June or around then.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

D C posted:

I got my annual sharpening done last week, nearly died when I forgot and almost bailed into the boards.

forgot you played hockey tbh

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I would prefer sharp skates all the time but I'm lazy and seattle has very limited hockey resources.

I like sharp skates so I would have them sharpened every few hours (maybe every 5 games?) of skating if I could. It really makes a difference on stops and corners. In all reality I think I get them sharpened every 10 -15 games or so. I play once a week with a few bonus skates here and there. If I see or feel noticeable burs or gouges in the blade I'll have them sharpened sooner.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Verman posted:

I would prefer sharp skates all the time but I'm lazy and seattle has very limited hockey resources.

I like sharp skates so I would have them sharpened every few hours (maybe every 5 games?) of skating if I could. It really makes a difference on stops and corners. In all reality I think I get them sharpened every 10 -15 games or so. I play once a week with a few bonus skates here and there. If I see or feel noticeable burs or gouges in the blade I'll have them sharpened sooner.

no pro shop at the rink you go to? ghetto

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

sellouts posted:

forgot you played hockey tbh

Only sometimes. I havent been in LA pretty much since last Christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

xzzy posted:

I used to sharpen a lot but last year I realized it doesn't make much of a difference so I just kind of stopped. I think I last sharpened in June or around then.

Yeah same, I guess like 2-3 times a year?