Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Yay, first IED delivered via drone!

FFS...

Can't wait for the new soccer mom rhetoric whenever I'm flying at places closer to civilization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
got a link to that?

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Dessert Rose posted:

Even in the air it slowly rolled to the left so I just fixed it with trim.

You shouldn't need trims in acro mode - make sure your sticks are at centered at 1500 and that your RC midpoint is set to 1500 in cleanflight/betaflight/whatever you run. You may need to add a bit of RC deadband if your centered values tend to wander a bit. You shouldn't be getting any attitude drift in acro.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Nerobro posted:

got a link to that?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-37638982

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Goddammit, that headline.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
That associated photo you dumb assholes bbc

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Terrorists made a killer flying robot? Where do they get these ideas from??

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Admittedly a $300 DJI carrying 2 pounds of dynamite is a pretty scary proposition.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Admittedly a $300 DJI carrying 2 pounds of dynamite is a pretty scary proposition.
A DJI is nowhere near fast enough to avoid small arms. I'd be way more wary of something like a 250mm quad with a little HE and a frag sleeve. You could hit a phantom with irons pretty reliably. Once a good 250 racing frame starts hauling, not a chance in hell.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I know I've probably presented this before. But why not again?

APM is totally capable of flying a r/c plane any arbitrary distance. And "landing" anywhere. It's also got provisions for landing gear deployment.

Pick your favorite pylon racer from hobbyking, since you don't need to turn, you can overload the frame. Toss it in the air, and watch it take the payload anywhere you want, and then using that landing gear feature, "activate" the payload. (Take a picture, spray water, release confettiti, whatever...)

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

This is really neat!:
http://store.aimdroix.com/product-p/adx1501.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rInUxB8t3Yg

I doubt it would hold up to the wear and tear from racing, but it's really well made.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Forbes has a write-up on 3D Robotics' trashing: http://www.forbes.com/sites/ryanmac/2016/10/05/3d-robotics-solo-crash-chris-anderson/#2553404a4840

Short version: 3DR has exited hardware entirely. Basically 3DR's direct competition in hardware is DJI which is not only successful but owns all its own factories, etc.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure if you were presenting that in context of the other posts, but the trigger functions, normally for cameras, would work fine for that as well.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Mister Sinewave posted:

Forbes has a write-up on 3D Robotics' trashing: http://www.forbes.com/sites/ryanmac/2016/10/05/3d-robotics-solo-crash-chris-anderson/#2553404a4840

Short version: 3DR has exited hardware entirely. Basically 3DR's direct competition in hardware is DJI which is not only successful but owns all its own factories, etc.

Now they want to sell sitescan packages for 11k. Good loving luck

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.

Mister Sinewave posted:

I can't help but see the same situation go down with the GoPro Karma. DJI unveiled the Mavic a week later and now the Karma looks like an outdated pos.

I work in the drone ag industry and have lots of experience with the Solo, Pixhawk, DJI and others. The Solo was a total flop on launch, could barely fly more than 100ft away before losing signal and RTLing. GoPro glitches causing the camera to freeze mid-flight was also a big problem. The gimbal also sometimes would snap to 45 degrees sideways right after take off and was useless when it finally was released. By the end there were enough software fixes to make it work OK but then 3DR pulled the plug on new developments and threw Tower to the open source community. When it worked it was pretty dang cool and the image quality was very impressive, the gimbal turned out very good in the end, but it still just was no where near as good as what DJI had.

DJI developed their own wireless technology and 3DR tried to use normal Wi-Fi. DJI added sonar and other sensors and 3DR was using last year's GPS. DJI was simply 3 generations ahead.

The Karma doesn't even do half the stuff the Solo did, either. No follow me or automatic flight modes, maybe that's coming. At this point I see no reason to sell a drone without a camera either.

I can't wait for Mavic. My pre-order should be here by the end of the month! I'm leaving for vacation to New Zealand on the 28th so I'm biting my nails in anticipation and keeping my fingers crossed it arrives on time.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

I largely agree with you about the Karma. The only saving grace I think it has is it will appeal to heavy gopro users that might see it as more of a flying gopro mount than as a drone. It coming with the handheld gimbal stick is attractive for them as well.

I'm also going to get a Mavic but mine is going to be an Xmas present to me from me so I have to wait a bit.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Vitamin J posted:

DJI developed their own wireless technology and 3DR tried to use normal Wi-Fi.
And thank Jeebus that DJI didn't give two shits about interference with competing systems.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
Does anyone know what the FX798T weighs without its case? I'm looking at this tiny camera as an upgrade to my tiny whoop to drop the weight (3.6g!), but I don't have a gram scale to figure out if the weight difference is worth the drop in video quality.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Why do you assume a dipole will have a drop in video quality?

Anyway, new build starting! gently caress you, HobbyKing $1/frame sale. That was expensive.

Parts list:
Turnigy Talon CF frame: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__22397__Turnigy_Talon_Carbon_Fiber_Quadcopter_Frame.html
BLHeli 20A ESCs: http://www.ebay.com/itm/111851997422?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
SPRacing F3 Deluxe FC: http://www.ebay.com/itm/112054227788?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
3508 700kv motors: http://www.ebay.com/itm/122031110406?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
13x6.5" CF Props: http://www.ebay.com/itm/121542910258?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
This little PDB everybody uses: http://www.ebay.com/itm/121990206276?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I'm going to run a 4S 6750mah 25C Tattu on it (got it refurb for $30), and normal FrSky gear. It should have quite a bit of lifting capacity -- maybe I can pay it off by rescuing downed 250s on roofs?

edit: eCalc estimates up to 4kg additonal payload.

insta fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Oct 15, 2016

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

insta posted:

Why do you assume a dipole will have a drop in video quality?

I don't - it's a different camera entirely, and the DVR footage of it looks lower quality vs the FX798T, which is a pretty darn good camera for the size.

The quality difference isn't huge mind you, but if it's a difference of like .2 grams it's not worth it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Darn, I wanted to go flying today but it's like 20mph gusts outside. Not confident enough to fly in that.

Wish I knew some abandoned lots or parking lots or warehouses or something. :(

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Get an tiny whoop and practice indoors.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

evil_bunnY posted:

Get an tiny whoop and practice indoors.

Is a tiny whoop a particular brand of micro fpv quad or something?

(e) Seems to be a modded Blade Inductrix. Seems like a neat project.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 16, 2016

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Go for the QX** (80, 90, 95). There's a model that natively supports Flysky radios, so you can bind it to yours without buying new gear.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

insta posted:

Go for the QX** (80, 90, 95). There's a model that natively supports Flysky radios, so you can bind it to yours without buying new gear.

Or buy a FrSky compatible Beebrain FC (or Beecore for the Chinese knock off, which I think does FlySky on top of DSM/FrSky) + frame + upgraded motors + props and assemble a DIY inductrix.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It kinda sucks that those new f3 based brushed flight controllers have such weak fets- only appropriate for the 6mm sized motors (maybe 7?)

If you're going diy, look for a brushless build though

Geburan
Nov 4, 2010
So I ordered a bunch of stuff and now I need to stick it all together and I need help. Here's what I got:

1 x Armattan Kojak Flight Controller (Naze32 Rev 5 clone I think)
1 x Armattan Morphite V2 Frame Kit
(MV2 Arm Length: 5" Arms (224mm size))
3 x Little Bee 20A PRO BLHeli ESC
1 x Little Bee 4 in 1 ESC
4 x Armattan 2204 2300kV Motor
1 x Matek PDB
1 x FrSky DR4-II
Craptop of Gemfan props

The frame was probably a poor choice for a first build as it has a ton of fiddly parts (15 pieces total?) and a limited interior for fitting everything in. But I liked the way it looked so eh...
You'll notice I only have 3 ESCs. They ran out and threw in the 4 in 1, which is great, except the frame isn't roomy, so I'm not sure there is still room for a PDB, which means I don't know how I would power my camera/vtx.
I have no camera/VTX. I have a little FX798 kicking around for an indoor build that I could use. Then I would just need to find 5v somewhere and save space/weight, but I wouldn't have much range.

I guess I'm mainly wondering if I should buy another ESC, or use the 4 in 1. I still need to do some shopping for a long term cam/vtx solution. FliteTest likes the Owl+ since it does day/night well. I wouldn't mind sticking on some LEDs for night flying since this is more of a fun flyer than anything aggressive. If I was going to do that, I should probably go for the PDB + 4 ESC or a different FC to control the LEDs. Hmm. I'm stuck in analysis paralysis.

Any thoughts or advice? Thanks.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Use the 4-in-1 and power your camera off the balance lead of your battery.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

For the love of God, I wish F1 based controllers would finally vanish from the face of earth. Or at least from the pages of online shops.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Had a good weekend. Got my KISSed alien flying really well, and also flew my toretto 130. The toretto is a blast. Super quick, stable, and easy to shoot tiny gaps with. Great practice quad. The camera kind of sucks but the VTX is really good. Unfortunately I broke a few plates with it which is fine because they are cheap but I think with a little more engineering this thing could be really indestructible.

Also I got to fly on Rotor Riot!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5d3uzUKaRY

i own every Bionicle fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Oct 17, 2016

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

For the love of God, I wish F1 based controllers would finally vanish from the face of earth. Or at least from the pages of online shops.

Why? I got 10 minutes into a ranty video last night about why the Naze32 should never be bought, but he never got to a useful point, and was plain wrong on the ones he did get to, so I turned it off.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Geburan posted:

So I ordered a bunch of stuff and now I need to stick it all together and I need help. Here's what I got:

1 x Matek PDB
1 x FrSky DR4-II
Craptop of Gemfan props

The frame was probably a poor choice for a first build as it has a ton of fiddly parts (15 pieces total?) and a limited interior for fitting everything in. But I liked the way it looked so eh...
You'll notice I only have 3 ESCs. They ran out and threw in the 4 in 1, which is great, except the frame isn't roomy, so I'm not sure there is still room for a PDB, which means I don't know how I would power my camera/vtx.
I have no camera/VTX. I have a little FX798 kicking around for an indoor build that I could use. Then I would just need to find 5v somewhere and save space/weight, but I wouldn't have much range.

I guess I'm mainly wondering if I should buy another ESC, or use the 4 in 1. I still need to do some shopping for a long term cam/vtx solution. FliteTest likes the Owl+ since it does day/night well. I wouldn't mind sticking on some LEDs for night flying since this is more of a fun flyer than anything aggressive. If I was going to do that, I should probably go for the PDB + 4 ESC or a different FC to control the LEDs. Hmm. I'm stuck in analysis paralysis.

I bet you can manage a full stack w/ the 4 in 1 with some smaller spacers (the nut height sized nylon ones that come with every set out there)

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
SYMA X5SC WHITE QUADCOPTER WITH 2 MEGAPIXEL HD CAMERA 4GB SD CARD HEADLESS MODE FUNCTION
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00XYUCJFW/ref=s9_dcacsd_bhz_bw_c_x_1

This is the one to get for someone who fell in love in the Phantom 3 when they had a play with it, but doesn't want to lay out that kind of cash for a toy at this time?

I guess some more batteries would be on the shopping list.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

A 10dof Naze is great for a "farting around" build, or good fight stabilizer for a fixed wing, for like $11 shipped. What beats that?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Nerobro posted:

Why? I got 10 minutes into a ranty video last night about why the Naze32 should never be bought, but he never got to a useful point, and was plain wrong on the ones he did get to, so I turned it off.
F3 and upwards are higher clocked, have more IPC, actually a FPU and more RAM. Eventually there's going to be a point, that people want to implement more advanced stuff and get held back by a huge userbase of F1 platforms ("My quad flies, why would I need a new FC? What do you mean Betaflight 4 doesn't run on my Naze32? Y'all suck!"). SPracingF3, DTFc, Airbot Omnibus, Sparkyv1, OP Revo and whatever only cost little more than those plain Naze32 clones.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Oct 17, 2016

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Related: Recommend me an F3-based flight controller for an FPV 210mm quad.

Also, are BLHeli_s ESCs worth the extra effort?

Geburan
Nov 4, 2010
The amount of woo and mysticism with this stuff reminds me of parenting forums. I'm seriously about to rub coconut oil on my ESCs and put a drop of lavender essential oil on the gyro.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
Managed to welp my 250 into some trees and then subsequently into the ground. Destroyed the video antenna and busted the SMA connector off the vtx board, chipped a couple arms. But the vtx itself is intact so maybe it'll be an easy repair.

I've been looking at Tiny Whoops, really want to put one together. I don't have a Taranis or Spektrum radio though, just a Flysky i6. The only full kit they have on the TW site is a BnF for either Taranis or Spektrum. I could go with a RTF inductrix and the conversion kit, but then the tx would be fairly garbage.

Any recommendations on Taranis vs Spektrum? Or some way to get my i6 to work with the BNF whoop?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Geburan posted:

1 x Matek PDB
1 x FrSky DR4-II
Craptop of Gemfan props

Since you have a 4in1, you can solder the signal wires from the ESC straight to the FC and save a lot of space (dont use any pins on the FC) and you'll have a plenty of room.
It's a little more daunting, especially if it's your first build. Alternatively, I would order another ESC. I think powering other stuff from the balance lead is a messy solution.

I also made this some time ago, which should help with the assembly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y49DFed7vLg

MrYenko posted:

Related: Recommend me an F3-based flight controller for an FPV 210mm quad.

Also, are BLHeli_s ESCs worth the extra effort?

I'm currently running this and are very happy
http://furiousfpv.com/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=59

I'm running that in combination with a diatone VTX, meaning the only 'add-on' is the RX.

BLHeli esc's are totally worth it. Just the ability to troubleshoot any issues easily by just plugging a USB into the FC makes it worth it, not to mention to be able to easily change motor direction, etc. The Configuration software is also fairly easy to use now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.

Combat Pretzel posted:

And thank Jeebus that DJI didn't give two shits about interference with competing systems.
Hey, it passes FCC testing. Not all RC radios are created equally, either.