Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

pienipple posted:

:smith:

I really want a driveway that never needs shoveling

Move to Arizona, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I'm not scared of nuclear plants melting down anymore, but I have yet to hear a good answer as to what you do with the waste.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Aww poor bats! I wonder if there would be a safe and financially feasible way to keep extra bugs from being attracted to the paint. I remember making a long drive past some wind farms in Indiana or Illinois (can't recall which) and they were amazing.

Just being a different colour would make a huge difference but bats are also very curious and will go and investigate wind turbines on their own. I hope that if turbines keep going up that someone solves the bat/bird issue but right now it's kinda grim.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
My tables!!

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Aww poor bats! I wonder if there would be a safe and financially feasible way to keep extra bugs from being attracted to the paint. I remember making a long drive past some wind farms in Indiana or Illinois (can't recall which) and they were amazing.

Northern Indiana a few hours outside of Chicago? There's a pretty big one out there. Maybe use ultrasound so it screws up their ability to echolocate and they will avoid the area?

Fake Edit: Wikipedia says that it's kind of effective, but difficult to get the ultrasound waves to travel far enough to keep bats safe...
Plus, even if it did work, people would use the infrasound argument and say that the wind turbines are making them sick because they want coal plants instead

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

Maxwell Lord posted:

I'm not scared of nuclear plants melting down anymore, but I have yet to hear a good answer as to what you do with the waste.

Just dump it in a big old hole. Surely we'd run out of fissionable material long before we ran out of hole.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Listen, we're not gonna get Godzilla by NOT creating nuclear waste. Mothra will awaken any day now and we need protection.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Waffleman_ posted:

Listen, we're not gonna get Godzilla by NOT creating nuclear waste. Mothra will awaken any day now and we need protection.

What do you think all those wind farms are for?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Waffleman_ posted:

Mothra is the guardian of earth rear end in a top hat

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Cleretic posted:

It all depends on geography, I think. Renewables are great but you kinda have to pick by region. Most of Australia's perfect for solar, because a really strong solar plant requires a ton of free flat land that gets a lot of clear sun. And that describes about 90% of Australia's landmass.

Something a little weird about nuclear down here, and more on a marketing subject, is that the Australian Greens get a ton of poo poo from some (arguably nominally) progressive voters for not supporting nuclear power. Literally nobody in Australian politics supports nuclear power, but the Greens are the only ones that get attacked for that.
Because the mines can make more selling it overseas than selling it local?

Maxwell Lord posted:

Australia is pretty loving huge and we use basically none of it.

pienipple posted:

I really want a driveway that never needs shoveling
IMO this is what I can see this stuff becoming. It's not feasible to make entire roads out of it, but driveways are short and safe enough. Get a little bit of power and charge for your house on top of a roof-mounted solar.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Maxwell Lord posted:

If you're outside the US, reprocess it into more nuclear fuel.

If you're in the US, store it in big casks in the desert instead of recycling it. THANKS CARTER!

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Maxwell Lord posted:

Whatever you want, if it's halfway sensible it's better than what we're doing with coal and gas

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

dads_work_files posted:

Just dump it in a big old hole. Surely we'd run out of fissionable material long before we ran out of hole.

Isn't that what we do with garbage too? We just get to use cheaper holes for it.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Grind it up into very fine particles and spray it into the atmosphere, so that small children breathe it into their lungs

You know, like how coal, oil and gas does.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Elfgames posted:

Mothra is the guardian of earth rear end in a top hat

And she's not gonna defeat King Ghidorah herself!

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
Just read this (again?) and had a hearty laugh:

Context: Soft-Drink Fanta was invented in Nazi Germany.

Wikipedia: Fanta posted:

In February 2015, a 75th anniversary version of Fanta was released in Germany. ... An associated television ad referenced the history of the drink and said the Coca-Cola company wanted to bring back "the feeling of the Good Old Times"

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

what the gently caress

Psychedelicatessen has a new favorite as of 01:32 on Feb 23, 2017

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Psychedelicatessen posted:

Also, wasn't Fanta made with the leftovers of leftovers from making orange juice in the beginning?

I don't know what it was made with, but it was made in Germany after that Coca-Cola plant couldn't get ahold of the stuff to make coke.
Remember, when you drink Fanta, you're drinking the blood of millions.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Whey and apple pulp left over from juicing. Yum yum.

That's got to be fake, the umlaut in Getränk is missing, "Coke ist es" sounds all wrong, the logo looks upscaled from a small low-res image, bottom font doesn't exactly scream 1930s...

... y'know, regardless of the fact that they really were the games' main sponsor :v:

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

My Lovely Horse posted:

Whey and apple pulp left over from juicing. Yum yum.

That's got to be fake, the umlaut in Getränk is missing, "Coke ist es" sounds all wrong, the logo looks upscaled from a small low-res image, bottom font doesn't exactly scream 1930s...

... y'know, regardless of the fact that they really were the games' main sponsor :v:

Beyond the zoomed in Eagle, I think the kind of joke they're trying to make is something that would appeal to Americans in the 21st century, not Nazi officials in 1936

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Yo dawg, I heard you like VHS…

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Bugs like the white paint a whole lot, which attracts bats. Bats are tiny and the negative air pressure from the blades explodes their lungs. It really really sucks.

Somebody invented new air power that isn't giant spinning turbines but instead little tubes that just kinda vibrate back and forth. Hopefully those can take over.

dads_work_files posted:

Yeah this is the answer isn't isn't as bad as lots of people think. Dump it in a solid lead or whatever container, bury it deep underground.

It'll be decades before it builds up to a serious amount, we have poo poo tons of land in the US we're still not using at all that isn't near any cities.

Then in like 2050 we can invent a new way to just transmute all that nuclear waste into solid gold or earl grey tea.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Improbable Lobster posted:

Just being a different colour would make a huge difference but bats are also very curious and will go and investigate wind turbines on their own.

Which shows that while curiosity may be the handmaiden of intelligence it doesn't work very well as its substitute.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah this is the answer isn't isn't as bad as lots of people think. Dump it in a solid lead or whatever container, bury it deep underground.

When you think about it, the uranium came from the ground to begin with.

We pulled it out, extracted some of the dangerous radio energy from it, and bury it in a more controlled manner than Mother Nature ever did.

So when you think about it, nuclear power plants make the environment cleaner than we found it.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Somebody invented new air power that isn't giant spinning turbines but instead little tubes that just kinda vibrate back and forth. Hopefully those can take over.

It'll be decades before it builds up to a serious amount, we have poo poo tons of land in the US we're still not using at all that isn't near any cities.

Then in like 2050 we can invent a new way to just transmute all that nuclear waste into solid gold or earl grey tea.

This is literally what everyone thought in the 1950s.

The problem isn't necessarily just the spent fuel. The problem is that we have to dispose of everything exposed to the fuel and the waste. Badges, gloves, suits, tools, shovels, broken parts that had been replaced, dead people, etc.
What are we going to transmute that stuff into? Oh, we can't? We'd better store all that stuff somewhere until it's not radioactive anymore.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Johnny Aztec posted:

Remember, when you drink Fanta, you're drinking the blood of millions.

Sounds metal as gently caress, they should turn that into a marketing campaign.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Alhazred posted:

Which shows that while curiosity may be the handmaiden of intelligence it doesn't work very well as its substitute.

Bats recognise water by the echoes of its smooth surface. Few things in nature are as smooth and as flat as a body of water.

Scientists proved this when they trolled bats by laying out metals plates, which the bats found indistinguishable from calm water:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuCxQst8Fqo

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

the sexual Shiite posted:

The problem isn't necessarily just the spent fuel. The problem is that we have to dispose of everything exposed to the fuel and the waste. Badges, gloves, suits, tools, shovels, broken parts that had been replaced, dead people, etc.
What are we going to transmute that stuff into? Oh, we can't? We'd better store all that stuff somewhere until it's not radioactive anymore.

Pay Australia to take it, they've got room.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

We still have tooooooooons of space for landfills in the US, we could go centuries and not run out of room.

And if we do run out of room and still haven't invented matter transmutation, we build a rocket and we shoot it all into the sun.

Hargrimm posted:

Nah we have more room than they do. That graph is misleading. Even the really dark states are nowhere near "full", and there's plenty of totally empty states like Wyoming and Utah.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The problem isn't where you put the radioactive material. It's transporting it there past populated areas. So Australia sounds fantastic until you realize how many big cities you have to pass through in order to get it there.

Also it's really easy to store with minimal cost, but that still hasn't stopped a lot of people cheaping out and dumping the poo poo in terrible locations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Hargrimm posted:

Do you want Warboys? Because that's how you get Warboys.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

C.M. Kruger posted:

If you're outside the US, reprocess it into more nuclear fuel.

If you're in the US, store it in big casks in the desert instead of recycling it. THANKS CARTER!

Yeah Carter heard that spent fuel has plutonium in it and omg bombs also have plutonium in it therefore somehow fuel waste in the hands of a government that already has fucktons of nuclear bombs is a proliferation risk. (People will point out that Carter had some nuclear background but all he did was part of a year-long early 1950s nuclear submarine program before loving off to politics and I don't really see how that trumps people like me with up to date proper civilian nuclear engineering degrees)

If you reprocess the spent fuel you end up with very little waste; certainly less radioactive waste than coal plants put out while generating the same power except you have it in one place, contained, and packaged up. It's weird how having the waste contained and on hand is somehow worse than just spewing it out into the air and water like coal plants do.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Let's pay Elon Musk to shoot it into yonder sun.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Chernobyl was caused by the operators playing chicken with the reactor, trying to see if they could run the circulation pumps off of waste heat for long enough to backups to come online if the mains went out.
It was a lot more than just that. They ran the test through a shift change, failed to respond properly to conditions they should have expected, and just plain screwed up by retracting control rods when they intended to insert them. The Wikipedia article has a good step-by-step of how everything was done wrong. If they hadn't screwed up so many times at every step in the process, the test probably would have succeeded.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Seal it in glass, encase that in stainless steel, bury it deep in the ground in a geologically stable desert area well above the water table, and backfill with bentonite in case climate change brings rain to the area. Yucca Mountain was an ideal solution for 10,000+ year storage and it was cancelled solely because of political pressure.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Strudel Man posted:

Let's pay Elon Musk to shoot it into yonder sun.

Only if he goes up with them

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

My Lovely Horse posted:

Do you want Warboys? Because that's how you get Warboys.

I think I remember reading a fan theory that in Mad Max, it's only Australia that is the post-apocalyptic hellscape, not a worldwide disaster situation. The rest of the world is still chugging along just fine, having quarantined the Aussies and put them out of their minds.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

like Syria then?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 20 minutes!

All that other poo poo is low-level waste, it is not a big concern, and there are literally dozens of adequate disposal sites for it in the US, a number adminisitered through the DOE.

The obstacle to disposing of high-level waste is political, not technical or ecological. It's called NIMBY. We spent billions developing a perfectly good national waste storage facility, but people flipped their loving wigs at the thought that nuclear waste would actually be transported through their towns on the way to Yucca mountain, and people in that state flipped their loving wigs at the thought of having a perfectly good national waste storage facility in their big enormous honking useless desert of a state, so it never happened, and instead we store it in dry casks right at the reactors that produced it because that's sooo much better.

Besides, high-level waste is only a big issue for archaic fuel cycles based around the production of material for nuclear weapons. In a nuclear-sane world we'd be building fast reactors and using all those useful transuranics and fission fragments in spent nuclear fuel as fuel in a newer reactor.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Hargrimm posted:

I think I remember reading a fan theory that in Mad Max, it's only Australia that is the post-apocalyptic hellscape, not a worldwide disaster situation. The rest of the world is still chugging along just fine, having quarantined the Aussies and put them out of their minds.

The salt plane mate, what do you think you could drive across for 30 days and not find any human beings? Because that sounds like the Pacific Ocean to me

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Hargrimm posted:

I don't know how old that theory is but it's implied in Fury Road that the ocean has been reduced to one giant salt flat. If that's the case I doubt the rest of the world would be just hunky dory.

E: f,b

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
What's the ocean ever done for us?