Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

GRIM AND FROSTBITTEN KINGDOMS
Is there like a list of good UI thingys/ latest transfer updates etc for FM16? I feel the urge to play it again and for some reason I thought FM17 was a lot closer than it is :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shroud
May 11, 2009
Screen grabs from the new video for FM2017:

Click here

Edit: Chief Data Analyst staff position confirmed. God help us all.

Shroud fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Sep 19, 2016

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Shroud posted:

Screen grabs from the new video for FM2017:

Click here

Edit: Chief Data Analyst staff position confirmed. God help us all.

lol what the gently caress is the point?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I kind of want to see those screenshots again but with

"SAME BROKEN ENGINE" over the top of them.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

1,000+ New Features

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

beer_war posted:

1,000+ New Features

How many of them are in the manager customization tool?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Frankly I'm happy to skip this year, since it's taken ten months to get to the point where I can run my custom database without having to restart a couple of seasons in after having run into something else that needs changing because the pre-game editor is allergic to working in a sensible way or indeed the very concept of documentation.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
I'll still be buying it before the beta goes live.

Why?

Because it's a new Football Manager.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Masonity posted:

I'll still be buying it before the beta goes live.

Why?

Because it's a new Football Manager.

I skipped 2016 so i feel my money already burning in my pocket to buy 2017.

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths
Yeah I've not bought one since 14 and got 15 for free and loved it so never really had an urge to buy 16. That said, I think I'll snap this one up if I can find a decent offer... anyone have any cheap preorders that aren't dodgy russian resellers?

Shroud
May 11, 2009
I am seriously beginning to despise the morale system in 16. Playing as Arsenal, at home, against Villa. Petr Cech (33 years old, Model Professional personality) is nervous. We're also up 1-0 at the half.

WHY IS HE SO GODDAMN NERVOUS?

Telling him "No pressure" has no effect. Who comes up with this?

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Shroud posted:

I am seriously beginning to despise the morale system in 16. Playing as Arsenal, at home, against Villa. Petr Cech (33 years old, Model Professional personality) is nervous. We're also up 1-0 at the half.

WHY IS HE SO GODDAMN NERVOUS?

Telling him "No pressure" has no effect. Who comes up with this?
I'd be nervous having to battle Rudy Gestede in the box with a broken head too.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I've bought it every year since 07 I think because I'm retarded.

I'm looking forward to the next one as I only really had one functional tactic working on FM16 and got pretty bored of using it all the time. Had one great long term save though so probably got my money's worth. Just hope they fix the fullback issues. All I want is to be able to make different and interesting tactics that will eventually work with fine tuning.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Hmm, I requested my board to add more seats to the stadium, which they accepted. Then a bit later they decided to build a new stadium. Now, somehow, the new arena is due to be finished before the expansion of the current stadium. I wonder what's going to happen.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

jyrka posted:

Hmm, I requested my board to add more seats to the stadium, which they accepted. Then a bit later they decided to build a new stadium. Now, somehow, the new arena is due to be finished before the expansion of the current stadium. I wonder what's going to happen.

It's Fm. The new arena will be built, then your team will magically move back to the old arena, and 10 seasons from now you'll get a ctd that can't be fixed.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

jyrka posted:

You'll move to the new stadium, which will have less capacity than the old one + expansion. They city council won't let you expand, and you'll have to wait at least 20 years to be able to request a new stadium. The old stadium will be your training ground, so that you won't be able to move back into it.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

Ewar Woowar posted:

I've bought it every year since 07 I think because I'm retarded.

I'm looking forward to the next one as I only really had one functional tactic working on FM16 and got pretty bored of using it all the time. Had one great long term save though so probably got my money's worth. Just hope they fix the fullback issues. All I want is to be able to make different and interesting tactics that will eventually work with fine tuning.

I'm getting more out of '16 than I did 16', got a save at the moment using the non league pyramid mod.

I think that I used advice on here to get back to back promotions, fullbacks are excellent in attack but oh so vulnerable

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Football Manager 2017 features: New animations, camera angles and dedicated social feed

That about sums up the new features.

Also magic spray.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Okay, sassy, quick, how many of these are clever lies?

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Slightly better list: https://www.reddit.com/r/footballmanagergames/comments/57bz8h/fm17_features_football_manager_2017/d8qnup6

but lol at them just now getting 64bit.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Dallan Invictus posted:

Okay, sassy, quick, how many of these are clever lies?

I am not legally allowed to say.

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

I'm preordering.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

I, too, have discovered that I hate myself (mostly because a 64-bit client is a legit major advance for this ponderous monster of a game).

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Can't wait for it to turn out the 32 bit client was the only thing preventing runaway memory leaks

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
So am I right in thinking the pre-release beta is coming out on Friday?

Hopefully better than last year where I actually enjoyed the beta then the final version match engine was lovely.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Stotty posted:

Hopefully better than last year where I actually enjoyed the beta then the final version match engine was lovely.

This is why I didn't pre-order like I usually do. I heard good things about FM16 and the match engine during beta, but we know how that turned out.

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Beta to drop tomorrow.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Right, why the gently caress is it that I can beat most of the mid-table sides fairly easily and sneak a win at some of the big teams but at home against the relegation dross, the opposition suddenly decide to become the best team of all time.

I'm in the Championship and doing pretty well and am in the playoffs, rode out a really tough run of games, including 4 points from games away at the top two so things look good. In come 24th placed Ipswich, 8 points from 11 games, 5 losses in a row, half an hour in, I'm 1-0 down to a loving rocket and two passing moves that would make Barcelona blush have resulted in them hitting the woodwork twice and we can't get a kick. It doesn't matter if I change my tactics or just try to steamroll them with what does well against the top sides, they dominate. This always happens.

e: I can't help but think that something is off in what simulates complacency. When I got promoted to the Premiership far too early in FM13 we were OK against other dross, poo poo on by mid-table sides but somehow looked pretty good against the top sides. Of course it could just be my tactics mate. Stayed up with 28 points IIRC.

Was looking for that league table but found an ancient screenshot of mine from FM08

loving Madrid.

e2: It was 34 points.

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Oct 17, 2016

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Playing "defensively" in FM terms produces patient and classy possession football, so whenever a team decides it has to defend for its life against you it's going to style instead.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

What's the best way to counter that?

Shroud
May 11, 2009
I'm no expert, but if you have players with good Work rate/Stamina/Tackling, close down more often to disrupt their pretty passing.

Also, try to see where they have most of their possession. If it's in your half, try using a DM if you're not already using one. If it's in their own half, try an AM with high Work rate. Reduce their space and options.

On a related note, I think I've figured out the "Prevent Short GK Distribution" shout. It doesn't look like it does that it all. Instead, I've noticed that it makes my more advanced players close down opposition defenders all the time. Maybe I'm seeing it wrong, but from watching, it should be called "Close Opposition Defenders Down MUCH More Often".

Assassin, you're the resident FM expert - does that match what you know?

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

That all makes sense, thanks.

I'm still on FM15, playing a save where I have the best youth and training facilities possible but I'm not allowed to buy anyone else so developing youngsters is incredibly important. Should I loan them out or not? It's mostly League 2/non-league teams coming in for them.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Shroud posted:

Assassin, you're the resident FM expert

Thats quite a title

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Walton Simons posted:

Should I loan them out or not? It's mostly League 2/non-league teams coming in for them.

Loans are pretty bad for player development. I only bother with loans for :
- players I don't want (and even then it's only a quick effort to keep them in the game)
- players who are 20 at most, are 3rd in my rotation at their position, and get "first team" or better offers from clubs at most two divisions below my club; and even then I weigh the trade off between getting some playing time and training in bad conditions

To be honest though, even with everything maxed out via editor magic you'll only really have two or three players that can be first team players for a Champions League level team each year if everything goes well, and usually you can spot them as soon as the"class" is generated. Everything else is just trash.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

https://twitter.com/FootballManager/status/788312459262226436

hahaha, sold.

Honestly I was wondering about this.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
lol political trash. Disgraceful.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

quote:

Defensive AI has been improved - Defenders adapt more to the players they're playing against. Position themselves better from crosses and corners and react better to lose balls. Goalkeepers make better judtgements when to come out to close down players.

Oh yeah cheers SI, thanks for that retarded loving cycle of:

1) Nothing is wrong, it's your tactics

2) Perhaps something is wrong, but we need more players pointing out exact examples and uploading .pkms to even be able to analyse that our game is loving poo poo on a level that the developers children should be able to see

3) Ok something is definitely wrong, relax, it will OBVIOUSLY be fixed in the patch, stop posting about this

4) Ok we can't fix the problem this year, it's so complex we'll have to fix it next year...actually who even said there was a problem in the first place? Are you sure it's not your tactics?

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Oh yeah cheers SI, thanks for that retarded loving cycle of:

1) Nothing is wrong, it's your tactics

2) Perhaps something is wrong, but we need more players pointing out exact examples and uploading .pkms to even be able to analyse that our game is loving poo poo on a level that the developers children should be able to see

3) Ok something is definitely wrong, relax, it will OBVIOUSLY be fixed in the patch, stop posting about this

4) Ok we can't fix the problem this year, it's so complex we'll have to fix it next year...actually who even said there was a problem in the first place? Are you sure it's not your tactics?

is this about brexit or FM

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
I finally gave in and ordered. I wasn't going to bother with the beta this year. I was even thinking about waiting on a sale. I was enjoying my FM16 save still. I had so much still to do...

And now I'm downloading FM17.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Shazback posted:

Loans are pretty bad for player development. I only bother with loans for :
- players I don't want (and even then it's only a quick effort to keep them in the game)
- players who are 20 at most, are 3rd in my rotation at their position, and get "first team" or better offers from clubs at most two divisions below my club; and even then I weigh the trade off between getting some playing time and training in bad conditions

To be honest though, even with everything maxed out via editor magic you'll only really have two or three players that can be first team players for a Champions League level team each year if everything goes well, and usually you can spot them as soon as the"class" is generated. Everything else is just trash.

Loans are for players you won't be able to give first team match time to. Any player that won't get 20-ish appearances and a decent number of minutes will be better off out on loan (as long as the league he goes to is fully active/loaded).

Walton Simons posted:

What's the best way to counter that?

I either aim to go even slower and more negative to beat them at their own game, or super high press with lots of players in forward positions.

I'm also bad at the game, though, so ymmv.