Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

enojy posted:

Does anyone use their iCloud email account as their primary/personal email account? Any thoughts? Should I look elsewhere? I have an .edu address from my university, but I graduate at the end of the year, and can't get a solid yes or no as to whether or not I get to keep the address afterwards.

I'm on this weird crusade to completely cut out google services from my life, and my since-beta gmail account is the last link. The only problem is changing my contact information on dozens of websites and services; nothing I can't painfully knock out in a day or two. I just don't want to go through the hassle only to find out that iCloud email is a hunk of poo poo that slows/goes down on a regular basis. Also not crazy about advertising my Apple ID to the world, but that's what gibberish passwords are for, I guess.

I strongly recommend fastmail.com. Never had any problems with slowness or downtime, spam filtering is good, amazingly fast web ui, works perfectly with all apple poo poo (as of a few weeks ago push works for calendar and contacts, as well as mail). And you're a paying customer so you always know where you stand with the relationship. ~$40/yr or whatever I pay is worth it enough to know something as critical as email is going to stay nice and fast and stable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I used to use fastmail, but was always put off that I accidentally let my (free) account expire and then the service refuses to let you recover it. I know it's within their rights, but it's pretty poor showing. Luckily I had nothing important tied to it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I've been using Hotel Gadget as my screen saver for a decade. Are there any other visually interesting 3rd party screen savers? Not really feeling the built-in ones.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Buy a domain and then use whatever you want that lets you use that domain for your email. Changing email providers is a loving nightmare if you have to tell everyone (and change every site) from @icloud.com to @gmail.com or whatever.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Recommended them before but google tuffmail. Good spam filtering, can use your own domain or one of their awesome ones, it's only like 30 a year and super reliable. And no I don't work for them I'm in Canada.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

gmq posted:

Buy a domain and then use whatever you want that lets you use that domain for your email. Changing email providers is a loving nightmare if you have to tell everyone (and change every site) from @icloud.com to @gmail.com or whatever.
As someone who owns personal domains, I don't recommend anyone do this. If you forget to renew the domain in time, you're monumentally screwed for recovery. Also whomever owns the domain once you lose it gets access to all those incoming emails and can easily steal your digital life. When I had a suicidal episode and purposefully wiped most of my devices, it wasn't that difficult to recover my namecheap.com account to regain control of my domains and prove to Google I owned them. This was even after enabling two step authentication for both accounts.

I use Google solely for Gmail. I don't like Google, but they're the only ones with a decent email system designed for actual human needs.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

gmq posted:

This.

I bought a .org domain on Hover, and with the large mailbox from them it comes out to $45/year. I've had zero issues with them, customer support is good, and my email is reliable. I switched everything over to that email, and forward my gmail to it to catch anything I missed.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
I also run the Fastmail-with-custom-domain route. It took a little bit of fiddling to get all the DKIM and other DNS things up, just as an added security measure against being labelled as spam, but otherwise, I've nothing at all to complain about.

My email is too important not to pay money for.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

IuniusBrutus posted:

This.

I bought a .org domain on Hover, and with the large mailbox from them it comes out to $45/year. I've had zero issues with them, customer support is good, and my email is reliable. I switched everything over to that email, and forward my gmail to it to catch anything I missed.

Yeah, Hover's the best registrar so I figured their other services are probably ok. They obviously handle all the DNS malarky for you so that appealed to me. Been on the small mailbox plan ($20/yr) for a few years with no complaints.

Though now I see they offer the Big Mailbox plan with 1TB storage + file sharing for just $29 and I'm tempted to upgrade..

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ashex posted:

For the last few days this has been randomly popping up, anyone know how I can track down what is causing it?

It partially decodes into "<script>(function(){window.parent.postMessage(JSON.stringify({action:mtr" so it looks like there's some script running. Safari extension maybe? Not sure if there could be any other system level stuff that would be trying to doing a window.parent.postMessage.

Sorry, not sure I can be of any more help.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

wolffenstein posted:

As someone who owns personal domains, I don't recommend anyone do this. If you forget to renew the domain in time, you're monumentally screwed for recovery. Also whomever owns the domain once you lose it gets access to all those incoming emails and can easily steal your digital life. When I had a suicidal episode and purposefully wiped most of my devices, it wasn't that difficult to recover my namecheap.com account to regain control of my domains and prove to Google I owned them. This was even after enabling two step authentication for both accounts.

I use Google solely for Gmail. I don't like Google, but they're the only ones with a decent email system designed for actual human needs.

you can renew domains upto 10 years, also if you forget to renew you can normally get it back from icann

which reminds me I should at least put a landing page on my domain and get it mirrored on archive.org in case I have to claim it

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
yeah fastmail is great

also doing the hover + 10 yr domain w/ autorenew

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Perplx posted:

which reminds me I should at least put a landing page on my domain and get it mirrored on archive.org in case I have to claim it

Can you explain this bit?

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

Can you explain this bit?

If you have a domain name, it's common for it to get camped immediately after it expires so that, in order to get FirstNameLastName.org back, you have to pay a couple thousand dollars to a squatter. The option around this is to submit a dispute to ICANN and prove that you have either an IP claim (obviously invalid for FNLN type domains) or that you held the domain recently. If you can get onto Archive.Org with "FNLN wuz heer" it makes it easier to resolve the dispute.

Theoretically, at least. I have heard that for years but I don't know of any instances where its' been tried (likely to not really paying attention to domain registration matters). It could be an urban legend. :v:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Ah OK, so you put a landing page on and maybe use it as a business card or whatever to show that you used it, and then any attempt to profit from selling you the domain back results in ICANN giving it to you anyway (in theory)?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There's also a fairly long grace period between the domain no longer belonging to you, and being purchasable by someone else. It's really not that big of a deal unless you don't realise that you've not received any emails for a considerable amount of time, including the 20 your registrar sends you yelling at you to renew your damned domain.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
My 2012 Air takes so long to connect to my home wifi from sleep since Sierra. If I do nothing, it'll just sit and search for several minutes. If I get impatient and manually select my network from the menubar list, it connects immediately after.

I've tried forgetting and rejoining my network and I've moved it to the top of the priority list. No fix. Any other ideas?

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

There's also a fairly long grace period between the domain no longer belonging to you, and being purchasable by someone else. It's really not that big of a deal unless you don't realise that you've not received any emails for a considerable amount of time, including the 20 your registrar sends you yelling at you to renew your damned domain.

Really? Back when I had a personal domain, I registered it for like 5 years and then forgot about it. I came back from vacation to a handful of emails about it and found it camped after being expired for five or 10 days.

Then, again, it was registered with GoDaddy before they were known as shitlords, so I was probably an attempted victim of theirs. :v:

Thanks Ants posted:

Ah OK, so you put a landing page on and maybe use it as a business card or whatever to show that you used it, and then any attempt to profit from selling you the domain back results in ICANN giving it to you anyway (in theory)?

Pretty much.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah they changed it a bunch of years ago because of the amount of sniping from 3rd parties watching for expirations.

quote:

Once your domain has expired, it will be in Auto-Renew Grace Period (for 0-45 days), followed by a 30-day Redemption Grace Period. At the end of the Redemption Grace Period, you will not be able to renew your domain name. Your domain name will be released for registration by third parties.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I forget, why do we all hate Google now? And why does @iCloud.com have an advantage over them?

I really dislike the idea of paying a company i've never heard of to take care of my email.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

rear end Catchcum posted:

I forget, why do we all hate Google now? And why does @iCloud.com have an advantage over them?

I really dislike the idea of paying a company i've never heard of to take care of my email.

I just asked for gmail alternatives and people mentioned a handful. I don't hate google at all, just experimenting my way out from under its umbrella and seeing how far I get.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

Martytoof posted:

It partially decodes into "<script>(function(){window.parent.postMessage(JSON.stringify({action:mtr" so it looks like there's some script running. Safari extension maybe? Not sure if there could be any other system level stuff that would be trying to doing a window.parent.postMessage.

Sorry, not sure I can be of any more help.

I don't use safari so no extensions there aside from 1password. It's a bit mystifying and I'm a bit paranoid I got some sort of virus.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Obviously the correct answer is to use your time machine to sign up for Google for your Domain back when it was free.

I miss mac.com email. So much potential. Such a lovely implementation.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I still have my "me.com" address (well, so does everybody who used it before it transitioned to iCloud)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ashex posted:

I don't use safari so no extensions there aside from 1password. It's a bit mystifying and I'm a bit paranoid I got some sort of virus.

Can you open up Console.app and search for "PHNjc"? I'm wondering if it recorded the whole base64 encrypted string anywhere in any log -- the dialog box is obviously truncating the meaty part of the function call that may shed light on its purpose.

Not much else I can suggest unfortunately, sorry.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

flosofl posted:

I still have my "me.com" address (well, so does everybody who used it before it transitioned to iCloud)

.mac still works fine, too.

All that happened is they added an alias, so [username]@mac.com is also [username]@me.com and now [username]@icloud.com.

I don't particularly like how gmail's "what an imap" leaves me with thousands of emails in my inbox, but I'm sure someone'll chime in to tell me it's my fault for using Mail. Then again, so long as it can put my mail in my inbox, I don't much care what domain's at the end of my email.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Zenostein posted:

I don't particularly like how gmail's "what an imap" leaves me with thousands of emails in my inbox, but I'm sure someone'll chime in to tell me it's my fault for using Mail. Then again, so long as it can put my mail in my inbox, I don't much care what domain's at the end of my email.

What exactly is the problem here? I'm using Gmail and Mail.app (on the Mac, I use the Gmail app on iOS for proper push) and haven't really had any problems. All my labels that I organise things into are prefixed with "INBOX/", which nests them as subfolders in Mail.app.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Why am I getting system notifications from Gamespot and how do I shut them off?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Housh posted:

Why am I getting system notifications from Gamespot and how do I shut them off?
Just a guess but Safari > Preferences > Notifications

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Zenostein posted:

.mac still works fine, too.

All that happened is they added an alias, so [username]@mac.com is also [username]@me.com and now [username]@icloud.com.
Not retroactively, though. For example, I have tacd@icloud.com but if I try to email tacd@mac.com I get an undeliverable error.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Froist posted:

What exactly is the problem here? I'm using Gmail and Mail.app (on the Mac, I use the Gmail app on iOS for proper push) and haven't really had any problems. All my labels that I organise things into are prefixed with "INBOX/", which nests them as subfolders in Mail.app.

Does this no longer just create duplicates in mail? Because it used to and that's why I don't have folderlabels anywhere. Well, that and I really hate using webmail, so needing to use their webmail to convince thousands of messages to leave my inbox was annoying, too. I was going to say that it did something annoying, like insisting on using AllMail as the inbox folder, but apparently I can't edit my IMAP subscriptions for anything now. I do definitely have at least one gmail account set to use INBOX as its prefix, though.

TACD posted:

Not retroactively, though. For example, I have tacd@icloud.com but if I try to email tacd@mac.com I get an undeliverable error.

Yeah, checking on icloud.com, I have @mac, @me, @icloud listed as aliases (and can set one to primary), but it also claims I am using 0 of 3 aliases — I'm pretty sure that the aliases it lets you set are, as always, just additional usernames. Y'know, so you can get email to pete@icloud.com and bobsdildohut@icloud.com all in one spot.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Any advantage iCloud.com email has over gmail?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Push email to Mail.app is the only real advantage, but there aren't that many disadvantages either.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

Martytoof posted:

Can you open up Console.app and search for "PHNjc"? I'm wondering if it recorded the whole base64 encrypted string anywhere in any log -- the dialog box is obviously truncating the meaty part of the function call that may shed light on its purpose.

Not much else I can suggest unfortunately, sorry.

I'll try that next time it occurs. I haven't actually seen it since upgrading to Sierra.

On a sidenote, kinda regret upgrading to Sierra as pgpmail doesn't work :(

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Zenostein posted:

Does this no longer just create duplicates in mail? Because it used to and that's why I don't have folderlabels anywhere. Well, that and I really hate using webmail, so needing to use their webmail to convince thousands of messages to leave my inbox was annoying, too. I was going to say that it did something annoying, like insisting on using AllMail as the inbox folder, but apparently I can't edit my IMAP subscriptions for anything now. I do definitely have at least one gmail account set to use INBOX as its prefix, though.
I think folder labels do create duplicates just because of Google's weird IMAP implementation but if you do something like read a message in one folder it'll still show up as read everywhere. I don't understand the bolded part, though. What happens for you when you press archive or delete in Mail?

AFAIK manually setting up IMAP prefixes isn't a thing you really have to worry about anymore, the last few times I've set up a Gmail account in Mail it's managed to figure it all out for itself.

To avoid a double post: I haven't been keeping up-to-date with things and only just found out that uBlock isn't being developed for Safari anymore. Is there another crowd favourite that doesn't allow 'acceptable ads' or whatever?

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Zenostein posted:

I'm still not really sure what you mean by duplicates. If you mean visible duplicates showing up in the Mail.app UI then no, definitely not. I move things from my inbox to, say, "INBOX/Payments" and it disappears from my real inbox. I'd definitely notice if there were duplicate messages hanging around - I try to keep to inbox zero, so right now I only have two emails in my inbox. Equally I never (or very rarely) delete/archive anything, only move them to other folders. It may well be duplicating messages in storage on disk if that's what you mean though, I've no idea and doesn't really bother me if it did.

It can however be a bit slow when moving emails from one folder to another - I've occasionally moved a few items from my inbox only to see them reappear for a few seconds until the sync goes through. If you're routinely in the situation where you're moving thousands about then I can see how that would be a problem.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ashex posted:

I'll try that next time it occurs. I haven't actually seen it since upgrading to Sierra.

On a sidenote, kinda regret upgrading to Sierra as pgpmail doesn't work :(

Ugh, I'm also eagerly anticipating GPGmail's triumphant return to macOS. I've had to RDP into my windows box to do a lot of work stuff. Honestly it didn't even occur to me to check apps for compatibility -- I just assume that most developers get access to the beta builds of the OS and work to get their poo poo compliant beforehand.

Must have been some big change in Sierra that killed gpgmail.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Martytoof posted:

Ugh, I'm also eagerly anticipating GPGmail's triumphant return to macOS. I've had to RDP into my windows box to do a lot of work stuff. Honestly it didn't even occur to me to check apps for compatibility -- I just assume that most developers get access to the beta builds of the OS and work to get their poo poo compliant beforehand.

Must have been some big change in Sierra that killed gpgmail.

Nah, gpgmail's lagged quite badly behind new macOS releases since at least the Mavericks release.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Hello thread,

I've been a Windows user for my entire life, but my employer now uses Macbook Pros. The Macbook Pro is awesome (13" unfortunately 2015 model) and I'm really liking it so far.

The OP hasn't been updated since 2013. Although there are still a lot of good tools in there (f.lux, caffeine), does anyone have any suggestions for tools or utilities they find themselves using often in 2016?

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Yeah, the same ones we used in 2013.