Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
What kind of degenerate uses Keldeo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Internet Kraken posted:

scarf keldeo is cool man

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Internet Kraken posted:

I used the Mystery Gift Keldeo in White 2. He was a good friend.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

keldo... thundurus... terrakion... thank you gen 5, for showing me how to love legendaries

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Silver Falcon posted:

I used the Mystery Gift Keldeo in White 2. He was a good friend.

and the coolest

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I just watched the latest trailer and oh my god Tsareena is such a great design aaaaaaa :swoon:

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 17, 2016

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Countblanc posted:

gen 7 meta predicts:
sandcastle will be complete garbage
horse will be UU's hippowdon
owl starter will have a great movepool but bad stat distribution
cat starter will have a bad movepool but great stat distribution
rock dog will be good but not great
mushroom will evolve into something really good
sport monkey and calm monkey will both be bad

100% this

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Sub-cm keldeo is pretty cool, since all you need is Secret Sword and Hydro Pump for coverage.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

gonna go ahead and say it: i'm not a fan of horses. Sorry

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

sharrrk posted:

i never really liked them either, but i just really love mudsdale for some reason. i guess because hes so huge and thats funny to me

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

the only move keldeo ever needs to use is scald and that's hosed up

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

sharrrk posted:

tho

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

not much, wattzapf with you

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

sharrrk posted:

gotta agree. but they're not trash either. i'm gonna name the small one Winnie and the big one Aerith

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

Maxmaps posted:

A good friend at work started his own blog about culture, language and design in Pokemon and would love some input as well as topic suggestions. I loved his first article so I figured I'd share it and ask here if anyone can come up with topics as well. http://www.pokescholar.com/

This is very cool. Another poster said to start with the legendary and mythical pokemon and I'd love to learn more about those as well. I'd also like to learn more about the obvious cultural references like Gyarados or Ninetales.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

oddium posted:

the best german name i remember is Schiggy

I have a Schiggy and a Scoppel thanks to Wondertrade!

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I'm still mad that the Clawitzer line didn't include any mention of the gebirgs flugzeugabwehrkanone

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

sexy 80s legwarmers

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.
So the demo goes up midnight tonight right?

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
So how long does it take usually take for nerds to datamine a list of all the new pokemon out of a new title?

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

LemonLimeTime posted:

So the demo goes up midnight tonight right?

Probably, unless they pull a NoJ.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Hardcordion posted:

So how long does it take usually take for nerds to datamine a list of all the new pokemon out of a new title?

we'll have it by tomorrow evening

Jithendra
May 23, 2009

Countblanc posted:

Is his blog targetting a Japanese audience? The cultural notes are interesting but it seems weird to include not only romanizations of japanese pokemon names but the japanese characters as well. It sorta works for things like "haiku" which are obviously japanese words but it looks weird to see poo poo like Castform/Powalen (ポワルン) in an english blog.

I don't know why that seems weird. It's pretty normal for articles about Japanese culture and language, and it's incredibly useful for those learning the language. It seems like the target audience for this blog will be people who are learning (or want to learn) Japanese and are interested in Japanese culture anyway, so I think it's the right choice to include the actual characters. There are certain aspects of cultural things that you can't actually discuss without talking about the way it is written in Japanese. Like this:

Pokescholar.com: Seasons and Weather in Pokémon and Japanese Culture posted:

Nōtenki can be written with a number of different Chinese characters, or kanji (漢字), the most common of which uses “ability/function” (能) together with “weather” (天気) with the implied meaning that one’s head is as empty as a clear sky, with not a thought or cloud in sight.

In recent years, a new way of writing the term nōtenki has appeared — replacing the Japanese nō that means “ability” with the sound of the English word “no.” This is how nōtenki is written in Pokémon, so that it looks like “no weather” (ノー天気), which leads to the in-battle effect. The English translation for nōtenki, “Cloud Nine,” is a clever way to tie a word meaning ‘carefree’ back together with the weather theme.

Those would be pronounced and romanized exactly the same way, so in order to see the difference you need to include the kanji.

It may not be necessary to include the English name, romanization, and katakana for every single pokemon's name every time you bring a new pokemon up, but it makes sense that there will be certain pokemon's names/translations that you will want to discuss, and maybe you'd just want to do it every time to have a consistent writing style.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

Hardcordion posted:

Could they really do that just from the demo alone?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

LemonLimeTime posted:

Sure, they got all the new Megas' stat spreads as well as Hoopa Unbound from the ORAS demo

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Keiya posted:

Pokemon Special is bad. Why do people like this thing? It's just lovely grimdarkification...

The dpp chapters are the best chapters and are about a comedy duo who accidentally become the bodyguards of a sheltered aristocrat and after a rocky start the 3 become best friends and save the world.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell

oddium posted:

gotta agree. but they're not trash either. i'm gonna name the small one Winnie and the big one Aerith

Mines gonna be Artax

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

LemonLimeTime posted:

Unless GF takes measures to strip out all the pokemon data that isn't used in the demo, yeah.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
SM's demo was also reported to be bigger than ORAS' demo in terms of file size, so unless the demo itself is longer or something, chances are it didn't get scrubbed this time either.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The dpp chapters are the best chapters and are about a comedy duo who accidentally become the bodyguards of a sheltered aristocrat and after a rocky start the 3 become best friends and save the world.

It is also hilarious, with plenty of great running gags. Since all of the usual blank slate protagonists are actual characters, there's also character drama and growth, usually all the Pokedex holders change over the course of the journey. It's pretty great.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
It's games for children I don't think they really care if some nerd datamines them and puts everything on reddit

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

FishBulb posted:

It's games for children I don't think they really care if some nerd datamines them and puts everything on reddit

Yeah, if they were sincerely worried about that, they wouldn't be releasing a demo.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

It is also hilarious, with plenty of great running gags. Since all of the usual blank slate protagonists are actual characters, there's also character drama and growth, usually all the Pokedex holders change over the course of the journey. It's pretty great.

The whole arc that leads to Dia coming up with Magical Leaf (at least that's it in-game name :v:) is one of my favourites.
But man. Did the Adventure pain Cyrus as the loving complete loving psycho he is.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I was promised that datamining the Japanese demo would mean we would know the entire pokedex by noon today

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

less laughter posted:

Sure, they got all the new Megas' stat spreads as well as Hoopa Unbound from the ORAS demo

They also got data of every trainer encounter in the full game, down to the EVs and IVs.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Early reports from dataminers indicate that the new pseudo-legendary line is a bipedal moose with nunchuks. It is not a fighting-type.

Bleck fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 17, 2016

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

I was promised that datamining the Japanese demo would mean we would know the entire pokedex by noon today

its been datamined, turns out they already revealed every pokemon and that the starter pokemon's secret is that they only evolve once

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

hmm. congrats to litten for having the best final form in that case

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
the Minior line is actually from Gen 8 and was previewed early by mistake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Bleck posted:

Early reports from dataminers indicate that the new pseudo-legendary line is bipedal moose with nunchuks. It is not a fighting-type.

that's silly, a moose can't hold nunchuks, get out of here