Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I also put a tail light back on the Coronet, adjusted its pump shot from "sea level" to "altitude," and drove it around for a bit while thrilling at the combination of fun that is an improper master cylinder rod ratio and a total lack of power brakes.

What a great car :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT
Hey Slung, just wondering after re-reading parts of the thread what are you using to heat your house? Is there enough sunlight where you're at to do solar thermal heating to heat the floors? Or do you use a nice pellet stove? Or gas?

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 17, 2016

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Natural gas, Alberta is so rich in the stuff we pipe it everywhere, even to tiny towns like mine.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

The more or less completed Pork Of the Covenant.

Vents!

RIP, Piggly.

First fire.

Roastin temp.

Maybe a little high, this thing holds heat way better than I expected given the volume and complete lack of airtightness.

Tried running it with the lid on for a couple hours. A few minor grease fires stopped that though. After the drippings stopped in quantity, we dropped the lid back on to keep the wind out.

Didn't matter, it cooked pretty nicely.

Got a decent little setup going here.

Next morning:

Don't have many pictures from the day of, things went pretty quick once we pulled the pig out.

We used birch chunks to brace it inside the cage. I'm going to have to work out something better for next time, and I do have a little leftover stainless bar.

Once we removed from heat, we started cutting it up with knives, but that was too slow, and it was so tender I just started ripping it apart with my bare hands, like a huge pulled pork dinner. I worked at it so long my fingertips got pruney in the hog juices.

It tasted pretty drat good, imo. Townsfolk all seemed to enjoy it. We had 5 times the normal population of town in attendance if I recall correctly.

It was a fuckton of work, money, and stress, but it was all worth it in the end.

The eye and cheek tasted amazing.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Literally pork barreling your re-election.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

TheMightyHandful posted:

:thurman:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Can confirm: was delicious. Thanks again Slung.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

TheMightyHandful posted:

:smugdon:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Just FYI for my american friends, I am starting a refugee camp up at my place, please feel free to PM me your application.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Thanks.

Sigh.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Slung Blade posted:

Just FYI for my american friends, I am starting a refugee camp up at my place, please feel free to PM me your application.

I uhh. I kinda want you to be serious. I lived in Canada for about a year, I can handle that poo poo.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
...if I marry you can I get citizenship?

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Slung Blade posted:

Don't have PM's but I'm a mechanical engineer! I can pull my weight!

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

You need a guy who's passionate about cooking and hobbys in material fabrication, electrical engineering, and prop building, and his wife, who also is passionate about food and hobbys in all things arts? Her side of the family may legit move to Canada, and we could use a place to flee to.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Maybe we can show those motherfuckers in Tofino how to really run a drug-fueled rural commune.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
If you find the need for a comprehensive team of psychiatrists, psychiatric nurses, pharmacists, and techs we've already got a plan rolling. We were thinking Nova Scotia, but we're flexible. And can prescribe you cool drugs.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I'm a microbiologist but I can hunt, cook real good and make good whisky...

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

I'm already Canadian but poo poo this sounds like a good commune.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
How many goons would need to move there in order to secure a majority of votes to Slung Blade can be perpetual mayor?

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Goonstacking in progress. Would you take an Australian refugee ( things aren't much better here!)

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I can't do poo poo but I'll eat a bunch of your food and then bitch that's it's not the same as the food I had "back home"

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

FCKGW posted:

I can't do poo poo but I'll eat a bunch of your food and then bitch that's it's not the same as the food I had "back home"

It is only a few bad apples that give all refugees a bad name.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Faerunner posted:

...if I marry you can I get citizenship?

They only tolerate polygamy in bountiful BC. And that's only the "dude with n+1 wives" variety, I think "lady with n+1" sort means instant hellfire there.

ionn posted:

How many goons would need to move there in order to secure a majority of votes to Slung Blade can be perpetual mayor?

Like maybe three? They just have to show up to all the itty bitty city committees and participate.

FCKGW posted:

It's cool I can make cheeseburgers and McCain superfries with the best.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

FCKGW posted:

Californian spotted

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Slung Blade posted:

They only tolerate polygamy in bountiful BC. And that's only the "dude with n+1 wives" variety, I think "lady with n+1" sort means instant hellfire there.

Like maybe three? They just have to show up to all the itty bitty city committees and participate.

It's cool I can make cheeseburgers and McCain superfries with the best.

Dude, cannibalism is not cool. Unless you are really hungry I guess.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

Dude, cannibalism is not cool. Unless you are really hungry I guess.

Eat the rich, though.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Leperflesh posted:

Eat the rich, though.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

That Works posted:

Californian spotted

:eyepop:

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

Slung Blade posted:

itty bitty city committees

:laugh:

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Leperflesh posted:

Eat the rich, though.

Ok so this commune is taking a good turn

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
If the commune wants to fix up the 28 year old Lincoln I unceremoniously dumped on Slung's lawn you're welcome to use it for official business.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Seat Safety Switch posted:

If the commune wants to fix up the 28 year old Lincoln I unceremoniously dumped on Slung's lawn you're welcome to use it for official business.

Now I'm thinking of "All Dogs Go to Heaven" where an old jalopy was the seat of government or whatever.

Slung Blade, we must begin construction of your throne immediately

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

If you weren't in Canada i would take you up on that offer. I spent all of one summer diagnosing all the loving no start issues in my wifes Lincoln. Soooo much broken vacuum lines and carb issues. Good luck those cars are amazing when running right.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

clam ache posted:

If you weren't in Canada i would take you up on that offer. I spent all of one summer diagnosing all the loving no start issues in my wifes Lincoln. Soooo much broken vacuum lines and carb issues. Good luck those cars are amazing when running right.

And when they have all their windows.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

Nobody appreciates the idea of having a harem of beautiful men. Unfair!

Guess I'll just build a wall around my house and declare it a neutral country and make the mailman show a passport before he can deliver our mail.

And we could always visit the Canadian Goon Commune!

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

Faerunner posted:

Nobody appreciates the idea of having a harem of beautiful men. Unfair!

Guess I'll just build a wall around my house and declare it a neutral country and make the mailman show a passport before he can deliver our mail.

And we could always visit the Canadian Goon Commune!

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I forged five handles for a fire set yesterday, then I baked four more batches of Christmas cookies, for a total of eight this year.

This isn't all of them, gave some of them away already.

I hope that's enough.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Slung Blade posted:

I forged five handles for a fire set yesterday, then I baked four more batches of Christmas cookies, for a total of eight this year.

This isn't all of them, gave some of them away already.

I hope that's enough.

Let's see these forged handles.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

LingcodKilla posted:

Let's see these forged handles.

Posted in the blacksmith thread:

Slung Blade posted:

Made some handles last night for a gift. Here's hoping I can get it done before Christmas.

The offset ones are mirrored, they're going to be log tongs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Hmm. No no no, this won't do at all.

SSSwitch joined me friday night and we did a bit of car jenga. Miata and tractor to the house garage, Ford parked outside for a bit, coronet to the hoist.

Why?

Because holy poo poo I found a huge 4 post for cheap-ish.

Same guy who put in the 2 post was talking on facebook about a used alignment lift that's good for 12000 pounds (holy poo poo) and needs a little restoration and the shop selling it needed it gone yesterday. Not being on facebook, I had no idea. Fortunately my work friend is part of the same group that this was advertised in and told me about it. Score. They dropped off all the parts on saturday, hopefully we can get some time to install it and anchor the bitch this week.