Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Wtf is up with Tampa intl. Weirdest airport I have ever been in. Just massive empty hallways .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Preoptopus posted:

Wtf is up with Tampa intl. Weirdest airport I have ever been in. Just massive empty hallways .

It reflects the emptiness in the souls of all Floridians.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Preoptopus posted:

Too early in the year for the bulk shipments of Canadians.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Oct 17, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Finger Prince posted:

Too early in the year for the bulk shipments of Canadians.

"So houw clohse is Disnee Worlhd, eh?"

KingPave
Jul 18, 2007
eeee!~

Godholio posted:

Yes, but it can take a lot of abuse. Depending on what document you're reading, Boeing sometimes actually tells pilots to plant that fucker hard so the gear absorbs more energy and slows the aircraft faster. There's a limit, but since you presumably didn't go sliding down the runway on the belly of the jet, it probably didn't come close to the limit.

MEL to ADL (and vice versa) is a regular flight I take using the 2 carriers, and thinking about it now Virgin pilots always go hard at the runway. I've maybe had one or two flights with QANTAS where it was like that, but my memory of it is that its only been when there's bad weather. QANTAS pilots seem to try to make it as smooth a landing as possible. Both are flying 737-800s, so my real question is why the significant difference?

As for injuries, does a slightly sore back count?* That might be from the lovely padding in the seats though, since it felt like some sort of metal rib or something was coming through.

* rhetorical

KingPave fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 17, 2016

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Nebakenezzer posted:

3) Did any other aircraft follow in the Fw 190's footsteps? (Wing-shadow?)

Immediately post-war the Antonov An-2 (first flew in 1947) used electric drive for its flaps and three-axis trim. Oleg Antonov was directly inspired by the Fi156 Storch's aerodynamic equipment so it would make sense if he also drew on elements of the Focke-Wulf for the controls. Like the Fw190 the An-2 used electric drive because it was cheaper, lighter and simpler than a dedicated hydraulic system - it uses pnuematics for the brakes so there are no fluid systems anywhere on the aircraft.

I'm pretty sure I remember reading that the Saunders-Roe Princess was designed to use a fully electric-driven 'fly by wire' control system, but the one example which actually flew had conventional hydraulics.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Preoptopus posted:

The heck parts of the airport did you go through? I mostly remember the nice, big. open airsides from the year I commuted there from FLL.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
In truth its not so bad just looks weird cause most of the stores are closed for renovation assuming before the winter season as someone mentioned. Just checked my bag last min cause they are saying the overhead bins will be all filled. C'mon Delta you can handle one connection I know u can. :ohdear:

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

KingPave posted:

So I took a Virgin Australia flight from MEL to ADL and I have to ask, is there an upper limit on how hard a pilot can land into the runway? This is for a 737-800.

The pilot hit the runway hard enough that I had to wonder how hard they need to go before the struts join me in 13D*. Either that or Otto made a surprise appearance and took over.

* I assume I'm actually sitting forward of the main gear, but I needed a somewhat graphic way to illustrate my concern at how hard the landing was.

Well, EI-DYG's main gear collapsed in a 2.7-ish G double-flameout landing some years back, same aircraft type.

It's designed to collapse through the wing, not the passenger cabin. You'd be fine either way. 737 main gear folds inwards, so the base of the strut is fairly far outboard.

Brovine fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Oct 18, 2016

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

If the overhead bins didn't pop open and spill contents all over the cabin, it doesn't even register on the hard landing meter.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

slidebite posted:

If the overhead bins didn't pop open and spill contents all over the cabin, it doesn't even register on the hard landing meter.

Rubber jungle or no determines level of inspection.

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

Preoptopus posted:

In truth its not so bad just looks weird cause most of the stores are closed for renovation assuming before the winter season as someone mentioned. Just checked my bag last min cause they are saying the overhead bins will be all filled. C'mon Delta you can handle one connection I know u can. :ohdear:

TPA has some cool human design features like "maximum walking distance before a stop" (the shuttles, escalators, etc.), the bronze pelicans to distract you if you're afraid of heights when you go up or down elevators and whatnot. They even have an hour of free parking to reduce congestion in the pickup/dropoff area.

The airport gets crazy during winter season and spring break but in the off-peak season it's so fast and convenient.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I'm not a big believer in pointless trams.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'm not a big believer in pointless trams.

I think the fashion when both MCO and TPA were made was they could use the trams to support large airsides without requiring lots of walking. Walk short distance from curb to ticket counter, up an escalator to trams, and end up a short distance from many gates, but without the ridiculous landsides of DFW. Decades of growth at MCO have lessened that somewhat, but it still seems pretty nice for a non-hub airport compared to the really long airsides at, say, MIA (even excluding the AA hub terminal) or IAD.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Hey look it's Jimmy Durante the Plane

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
:eyepop: Jesus Murphy

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Israeli bizarro AWACS.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I assume the pilot just kinda taxis and lands by feel?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Safety Dance posted:

I assume the pilot just kinda taxis and lands by feel?

Just kind of sniffs it out, yeah.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Look what happens when a bee stings a plane.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Here's a nice easy helicopter landing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bC2XIGMI2kM

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Duke Chin posted:

Hey look it's Jimmy Durante the Plane

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That seems like an awesome place to stick a camera, a bunch of coded markers, and some computer vision software. Get the helicopter above the pad, and let the software take over and stabilize the thing relative to the motion of the ship.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Scale this up to helipad size:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-aE5oszXyQ

marumaru
May 20, 2013

What the gently caress, the A380 is beautiful. :colbert:

e:

people who can't appreciate how cool the a380 is are bad people

marumaru fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Oct 19, 2016

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Sagebrush posted:

That seems like an awesome place to stick a camera, a bunch of coded markers, and some computer vision software. Get the helicopter above the pad, and let the software take over and stabilize the thing relative to the motion of the ship.

Alternate low-tech solution. Underslung winch system that drops a capture hook down to the deck a good 5-6 meters below, which is secured by machine or hand to allow the helicopter to "winch" its way down while an operator on the ground stands by to remotely emergency release the hook for emergency take off. Landing without having to lose lift completely before you're definitely secured, kind of like landing on a carrier. Even in those conditions, the thing I'd be most worried about would be to catch some air and have this happen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3idQKi5EqM

I mean, you can always put the thing down, but preventing it from going back up is a concern in that kind of weather.

But that's probably been thought of my military R&D already, and probably discarded due to not wanting wires blown into their rotors or somesuch crazy nonsense.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Not familar with the airline, but their livery is p cool. Looks like something out of the new Deus Ex

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Nebakenezzer posted:

Not familar with the airline, but their livery is p cool. Looks like something out of the new Deus Ex

They're the ones with the absurdly luxurious thing for passengers with really a ton of money to spend: the Residence.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Nebakenezzer posted:

I flew Etihad nonstop from Chicago to Abu Dhabi in basic-rear end coach, and it meant having a pretty comfortable seat, my own TV with movies/shows/and video games, a meal like every 2-3 hours (I had to turn back a couple hot meals, cause it was just too much), and the stewardesses (there may have been 2 or 3 males on the entire crew, and most of the women were early thirties or younger with heavy makeup) collectively spoke something like 25 languages and all looked vaguely like they could have been taken out of agencies of questionable "trafficking around the world!" status.

I know the individual entertainment systems with catalogues of shows and movies and games are becoming increasingly common, but for an economy flight 5 years ago or so, I was impressed.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Inacio posted:

What the gently caress, the A380 is beautiful. :colbert:

e:

people who can't appreciate how cool the a380 is are bad people

The A380 has a serious five-head problem. It's me, I'm the bad person.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Nice piece of fish posted:

Alternate low-tech solution. Underslung winch system that drops a capture hook down to the deck a good 5-6 meters below, which is secured by machine or hand to allow the helicopter to "winch" its way down while an operator on the ground stands by to remotely emergency release the hook for emergency take off. Landing without having to lose lift completely before you're definitely secured, kind of like landing on a carrier. Even in those conditions, the thing I'd be most worried about would be to catch some air and have this happen:

This exists already on Navy ships, it is referred to as RAST.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAbm2XDpx9w

https://www.curtisswrightds.com/products/naval-systems/helicopter-securing-traversing/rast.html

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Cat Mattress posted:

They're the ones with the absurdly luxurious thing for passengers with really a ton of money to spend: the Residence.

Tickets for a flight from NYC(JFK) to Sydney this week are over $22,000 EACH WAY for this.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

my kinda ape posted:

Tickets for a flight from NYC(JFK) to Sydney this week are over $22,000 EACH WAY for this.

Singapore's suites are more like 22k round trip so that makes sense.

Transpacific full fare business class tickets on US carriers are on the order of 10k, now there's a rip off. (Yes delta I will definitely hit that "upgrade now for only 4K/passenger/each way
:rolleyes:)

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Oct 19, 2016

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I think the fashion when both MCO and TPA were made was they could use the trams to support large airsides without requiring lots of walking. Walk short distance from curb to ticket counter, up an escalator to trams, and end up a short distance from many gates, but without the ridiculous landsides of DFW. Decades of growth at MCO have lessened that somewhat, but it still seems pretty nice for a non-hub airport compared to the really long airsides at, say, MIA (even excluding the AA hub terminal) or IAD.
The idea was that they could optimize different parts of the terminal - the "landside" for baggage, shops, etc. and the airside for, well, planes. TPA's old terminals were all optimized for specific airline needs, too (and Northwest had a mini-hub for snowbirds). This was before the security theatre era so it wasn't a big deal to go back and forth on the tram.

Also, 'rest' zones for old people = super important.

phongn fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 19, 2016

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

phongn posted:

Also, 'rest' zones for old people = super important.

Additional Pearson International Sucks point: right now it is on the receiving end of many lawsuits because they can't be bothered to provide wheelchairs for people who are infirm/in their early 90s. Lots of them fall down and break a hip/die.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Wow, that is really cool. Did not really expect this to be a thing.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Originally a Canadian invention! https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beartrap_(hauldown_device)

:canada:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Unembeddable video of King Air landing with stuck nosegear, very nicely done.

http://kfor.com/2016/10/19/plane-lands-at-will-rogers-world-airport-after-landing-gear-malfunction/

If you have ear plugs, pull the right one out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Nice piece of fish posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3idQKi5EqM

I mean, you can always put the thing down, but preventing it from going back up is a concern in that kind of weather.

But that's probably been thought of my military R&D already, and probably discarded due to not wanting wires blown into their rotors or somesuch crazy nonsense.

High tech system is better though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NevgqMqWf5Y

Get the INS on the boat to radio data to the INS in the helicopter, helicopter lands itself.