Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

MonsterEnvy posted:

Wait is John replacing Hal in the Justice League.

Please can this happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

TwoPair posted:

I know ragging on RHATO is played out but, well, you did say to say what I wanted about Lobdell...

Do you know what drives me crazy every time I see a preview or read a page you post here or, God forbid, actually read an issue of RHATO? It's always the same narration. Just Jason Todd harping on and on about how he died and got brought back, over and over. Lobdell has been writing this rear end in a top hat for years now, spanning multiple series. When the hell is he gonna flesh out his character beyond "I was dead now I'm not, also I'm gritty"? I mean, people poo poo talk Jason Todd all the time but worse characters have been fixed by decent writing (I mean God, doesn't Deathstroke have a series people sorta enjoy?), but Lobdell isn't a good writer doesn't seem to want to even try advancing Todd's character, just "grr I died and I'm darker Batman and only Roy Artemis and Bizarro get me", with nothing even resembling character growth.

I mean, Lobdell has doing that through the three series. The original RHATO was all about moving Jason past his rage and mellow him out by developing an actual friendship with people outside of Batman for the first time in his live. RH/A was meant to steer him towards a more "action hero" kind of character, making him a lot more lighthearted and constantly being the one highlighting how ridiculous were the situations he and Roy got involved with. But with the failure of DC You, the focus shifted during the second arc to make him regress a little on his trust with other people. And in this iteration of RHATO is clear Lobdell is aiming for Jason to make his own family with Bizarro and Artemis.

Oh and for the record, RHATO V2 has been meet with universal acclaim.

quote:

And another thing, it seems like Jason is always relating things back to himself, like holy poo poo get over yourself man. I know you trained under Batman, but he doesn't bring everything back to his parents all the time.

I mean why wouldn't he? This is his series and we're seeing all the events filtered through his perspective.

Anyways, yesterday I bought the second and last TPB of Red Hood/Arsenal and looking through the additional material -consisting of cover sketches- I found some curious changes between the preliminary and the final versions.

Issue 12's cover had a pretty unnerving reflection on Jason's helmet and Duela hanging around without the idiotic Joker's mask

Shame it was modified for the printed version because I like this sketch better.

But the cover that went through most changes is the one for issue 13

Honestly is a shame none of those ideas went further because It would've looked a lot better than the final version.

But the weirdest thing is that the cover was originally using Medri's costumes rather than Rocafort's

I mean, there's not a lot of difference with Roy but I really, really like the hoodie and I'm sad they scrapped that version.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Remember he's been there in secret since Justice League #1 five or six DCU years ago.

BrianWilly posted:

Yeah, Clark's been super-stalking everyone scooping out the Nu52 for years, in the interest of protecting his family. One of the very first things he investigated was the differences between this world and the world he remembers. He'd have realized that Wally West wasn't around.

It's a little more complicated than just the fact that Wally didn't exist in this world, though. Very few of the original Titans actually existed in the Nu52 (for reasons that I...already forget, even though I read and enjoyed Titans Hunt) and just very recently revealed themselves to the world. So Clark probably thought Wally, Donna Troy, and Tempest were all missing from this world. Even now that they're back, Clark would probably assume that Wally is "from" this new world just like Donna and Garth and also doesn't remember the old world. It'll be up to Wally to reveal otherwise.

Yeah it's super convoluted and labyrinthine. I kind of love it.

I know, my point is did he just go check to see if Wally exists? I guess that'd be a Superman to do, go check on all your old Justice League buds, but then he would've seen the other Wally West and probably assumed that was this universe's version or whatever. That'd actually probably be the giveaway for Clark if there was one. "Wait, there's a red headed speedster calling himself The Flash running around? Last I checked that Wally didn't exist!"

I think the best person to put two and two together is Batman or maybe Barry. They're the only ones who are simultaneously aware that Superman and Wally both claim to be from a previous universe that was similar but different. Wally did kind of make a big show of himself in front of Bruce, after all.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 14, 2016

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Wait is John replacing Hal in the Justice League.

Isn't Hal in deep space doing his own thing and it's Simon and Jessica in the JL?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Pretty sure none of the crossovers (at least since the N52) have been in continuity.

e: They should with the Lumberjanes/Gotham Academy one. Guest spots from the Lumberjanes would fit great.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Oct 14, 2016

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Roth posted:

Priest's Deathstroke is a lot more bearable than Lobdell's Red Hood because it doesn't try to dress up what a terrible person he is.

I got a kick out of this week's issue, with Slade and Rose playing something like sixth-dimensional chess against Batman.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Oh and for the record, RHATO V2 has been meet with universal acclaim.
(Source needed)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

Pretty sure none of the crossovers (at least since the N52) have been in continuity.

e: They should with the Lumberjanes/Gotham Academy one. Guest spots from the Lumberjanes would fit great.

My only problem with Lumberjanes/GA was the first issue cliffhanger where some wannabe Ghostfaces-from-Scream are supposed to be scarier that Olive "piss me off and I will burn this loving forest to the ground with my traumatised-with-mommy-issues mind" Silverlock.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

the latest flash was a pretty good improvement on the previous issue! Godspeed didn't bruta-murder everyone in iron heights like I was expecting the book to show, and with Meena (and everyone else that was a speedster from the storm) can still tap into the speed force if they want to., I'm going to keep on reading it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

lotus circle posted:

(Source needed)

In DT's universe. Nevermind all the poo poo reviews and the plummeting orders.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

lotus circle posted:

(Source needed)

Rhyno posted:

In DT's universe. Nevermind all the poo poo reviews and the plummeting orders.

https://popcultureuncovered.com/2016/10/12/review-brew-red-hood-and-the-outlaws/

http://www.weirdsciencedccomics.com/2016/10/red-hood-and-outlaws-3-review.html

http://dccomicsnews.com/2016/10/12/review-red-hood-and-the-outlaws-3/

http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/2016/10/12/red-hood-and-the-outlaws-3-review/

http://batman-news.com/2016/10/12/red-hood-and-the-outlaws-3-review/

http://thegww.com/me-am-bizarro-red-hood-and-the-outlaws-3-review/

:confused:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Now prove you didn't pay those people to give the book good reviews or that you are not in fact all of them.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Argumentum ad populum is bad arguing, but yall also can't act like BSS' opinions are those of the mainstream reader's. For whatever reason Red Hood has been a consistent seller for half a decade now.

Those are like, as low as they can be without being "terrible".

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

Argumentum ad populum is bad arguing, but yall also can't act like BSS' opinions are those of the mainstream reader's. For whatever reason Red Hood has been a consistent seller for half a decade now.

My favorite is the official DC site giving their own product a high rating.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Rhyno posted:

Now prove you didn't pay those people to give the book good reviews or that you are not in fact all of them.

I don't have the necessary income to splurge like that and I actually do review the book for another site

http://www.comicbookandmoviereviews.com/search/label/RHATO?&max-results=14

:shrug:

WickedHate posted:

How exactly are 5/5 or 9/10 reviews low?

Rhyno posted:

My favorite is the official DC site giving their own product a high rating.

All of those sites are independent from DC though.

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Oct 15, 2016

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

There should be a Red Hood thread that only DT can see and post in.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Roth posted:

There should be a Red Hood thread that only DT can see and post in.

We did and it turned into his blog

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Tip: There's a comic review aggregate site to save you link hunting.
http://comicbookroundup.com/comic-books/reviews/dc-comics/red-hood-and-the-outlaws-(2016)

It's definitely being well reviewed. I'm very happy for you and Jason, D_T :)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Oct 15, 2016

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

bobkatt013 posted:

We did and it turned into his blog

It turned into half of his blog. It was missing the anime titties.

Between the fairly decent review scores from the above post and people besides DT saying they liked it in this very thread I think it's okay to consider the possibility that it's an okay book. None of the pages he has shown have particularly engaged me but to me Jason Todd is already a pretty immediate point against it.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I'm not really a fan of Red Hood stories, but the Rebirth arc has really won me over.
As one review said about Soy's artwork, "take a bow."

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'll be pretty happy if it is indeed great. I'm gonna wait awhile, though-too much to go through at the moment. A new season of anime just started, after all.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Space Fish posted:

I'm not really a fan of Red Hood stories, but the Rebirth arc has really won me over.
As one review said about Soy's artwork, "take a bow."

They mean he needs to bow out and let a decent artist take over.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rhyno posted:

They mean he needs to bow out and let a decent artist take over.

Why waste a decent artist on that comic?

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
Okay, so I've been out of the comics loop since the Superman: Birthright retcon years ago. Occasionally I've picked a few trades here and there, but it's been a long time since I've tried to navigate individual issues. I recently went out and picked up a large chunk of the Rebirth stuff. Mostly the Superman family and Justice League along with the Darkseid War and the last few issues of Nu52 Superman so I knew where Rebirth was jumping off from. But DC still loves having their continuity all over the goddamn place so I'm trying to figure out what order to read Action Comics/Superman/Justice League.

They don't appear to be connected really so far, but a few odd things seem out of order. Like in the first Rebirth issue of AC, Post-Crisis Superman officially reveals himself to the world. Then in JL#1 he fights with the new League in public for the first time. But in Superman #1 he's both in hiding still, yet working with the League? Contradictory.

Tried just going by street date, but all the issues only have the month/year so all I can tell by that is what issues were released the same month.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I think the League knows there is a new Superman around but he hasn't officially joined them yet. The main thing in Superman #1 isn't that he's working with the Justice League but that Batman and Diana are specifically concerned about his son's emerging powers. Even as he's working in public fighting with the League they're not really friends yet, as Trinity is exploring now. Trinity isn't bi-weekly though, so that's gonna get weird as they get chummier in Justice League stories. I'm honestly not reading Action or Justice League because they're not that great IMO.

The best answer I can give you is don't worry about it that much. Little contradictions are going to happen. It's more important that the good stories 'happen' than making sure they fit in with the mediocre or bad stories.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

purple death ray posted:

The best answer I can give you is don't worry about it that much. Little contradictions are going to happen. It's more important that the good stories 'happen' than making sure they fit in with the mediocre or bad stories.

Fair enough. Continuity has never been DC's priority to begin with, so I'd probably just burn myself out again trying to make it all orderly. I'm really enjoying Rebirth though. Tried to get back in with the beginning of Nu52 but lost interest pretty quick. Though if I'm being honest the big draw is Post-Crisis Supes being back. I read nearly every issue of his from the relaunch in the 80's until Birthright. I even powered through the Electric powers arc. So seeing him back in action tickles the nostalgia centers of my brain.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You should pick up Convergence Superman and Superman: Lois and Clark to see him transitioning worlds, Jon being born and discovering his powers, and Clark's sweet dad beard. They're pretty good.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Teenage Fansub posted:

You should pick up Convergence Superman and Superman: Lois and Clark to see him transitioning worlds, Jon being born and discovering his powers, and Clark's sweet dad beard. They're pretty good.

Yeah it was literally these two things plus Wally coming back in Rebirth that got me back into collecting comics after like 5 years of being away. Lois and Clark is fantastic.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I just really wish Clark had kept the beard.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What do you mean, Lois is in every issue just about.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

quote:

RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS #6

Written by SCOTT LOBDELL
Art by DEXTER SOY
Cover by GIUSEPPE CAMUNCOLI and CAM SMITH
Variant cover by MATTEO SCALERA
Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details.
“Dark Trinity” conclusion! Black Mask and Red Hood go toe-to-toe beneath One Police Plaza, while above them Bizarro and Artemis clash in a battle of titanic proportion! The finale to “Dark Trinity” is here—don’t miss it!
On sale JANUARY 11 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

:haw:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Pretty funny cover. Hopefully Jason kills Black Mask at least.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Man. Right now you'll really only aknowledge one comic even existing, huh?
Full solicits http://www.newsarama.com/31585-dc-comics-january-2017-solicitations.html

Action's cover is so silly.

also Waller's face here.

And Earth 2 Society is still going!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That Waller face is perfect avatar material.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Just how many titles in Orlando writing anyway? Jesus.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Are they ever going to stop shipping certain titles twice a month? I find that I could read everything I'd like and not get my rear end chewed out by my wife if everything came out once a month like normal.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Nothing lasts forever. They double shipped books for a while back in the Breyfogle days of Batman, it'll eventually go back to single monthly issues. But for the time being, Rebirth is making them a huge amount of money, so I'd imagine it's going to last a while.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Looking at my iPad screenshots, I forgot to post this from the last Dethstroke last week. Very sorry,

Now we have Monster Men #1 and that. I hope they keep it up so I can start a Nude Male Butts of Rebirth blog and get mega rich.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Greg Rucka seemed to suggest on Twitter that Wonder Woman would be double-shipping through issue 24, so roughly one year from the debut. I won't be surprised if once some of the Wave 2 titles start shipping, they announce the tapering off of the double shipping and some more new titles that would make up a Wave 3 to fill the spots left open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Teenage Fansub posted:

Looking at my iPad screenshots, I forgot to post this from the last Dethstroke last week. Very sorry,

Now we have Monster Men #1 and that. I hope they keep it up so I can start a Nude Male Butts of Rebirth blog and get mega rich.

They're buff older men at that. Truly DC has embraced the homosexual male fanbase at last.