Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It's dumb that only 4 and 8 have moon stuff. Other games like 5, 9, and 13 have multiple planets but there's not enough weird hosed-up moon creatures in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Mega64 posted:

It's dumb that only 4 and 8 have moon stuff. Other games like 5, 9, and 13 have multiple planets but there's not enough weird hosed-up moon creatures in the series.

i'm still mad the 24-man raids in heavensward weren't about going to the moon

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I admit I haven't played the demo but it sounds like for good or ill it doesn't do a great job being an introduction. It sounds to me a lot like the FFVII/FFVIII/ect demos where it just kinda throws you into a chunk of the game where everything is a sleepwalk and doesn't explain anything.

It just dumps you in a field with random final fantasy characters strewn about who don't really acknowledge you but say a quip and then give you an item, and at the end there's a cube with a boss in it and treasure chests around that... play random poorly mixed cutscenes/trailers? You get one tutorial thing that teaches you how to catch monsters but then it barely seemed like you could actually use the command either.

I'm going with it's a poo poo demo. I mean at least the old FF demos were, you know, exciting.

Also surprised to see Tose's logo prominently displayed on boot though it explains whose rear end this game got pulled out of (though I'm glad they did).

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I caught Lady Ifrit how do I check its IVs

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phantasium posted:

It just dumps you in a field with random final fantasy characters strewn about who don't really acknowledge you but say a quip and then give you an item, and at the end there's a cube with a boss in it and treasure chests around that... play random poorly mixed cutscenes/trailers? You get one tutorial thing that teaches you how to catch monsters but then it barely seemed like you could actually use the command either.

I'm going with it's a poo poo demo. I mean at least the old FF demos were, you know, exciting.

Also surprised to see Tose's logo prominently displayed on boot though it explains whose rear end this game got pulled out of (though I'm glad they did).

That sounds really awful, yeah.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

ImpAtom posted:

Prior to the FFXIII sequels Lightning was actually the most standard normal person in the FF protagonist lineup since the SNES days except maybe Vaan.

"Half-alien dark knight who rebels against his king and becomes a Paladin."
"Half-alien son of a legendary hero who becomes a hero."
"Half-summon monster orphan who rebels against the empire and becomes a hero"/"Genetically engineered super solider who rebels against the empire and becomes a hero"
"Genetically engineered super soldier who rebels against the corporation and becomes a hero except he was actually a lose who got genetically engineered by chance and thought he was the hero"
"Child soldier who is secretly the son of a weird sorta-hero and the brother of a super-witch and the boyfriend of another witch and the adoptive son of a witch and secret childhood friends with everyone!"
"Half-alien bioweapon dropped off on NotEarth by his evil brother."
"Summon monster who thinks he is a regular person."
"Street Rat who ends up in the party by chance."
"Ex Cop who gets magic powers"

Noctis is like a return to form considering he has a crazy batshit backstory and a royal lineage and whatever.

Squall's probably the most normal guy since his dad's a human and his mom's a human and the only reason his sister is a witch is because a previous witch decided to have her inherit her powers and would otherwise be a regular human too

EDIT: Looking at some of the new FFXIV stuff, that lady in red is totally Yda and totally a Dancer right?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Might be Yda, might be her sister. Dancer is a small possibility because she was doing monk moves.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I'm pretty sure Zidane is 100% alien instead of half-alien or whatever.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I totally don't remember if she has a sister. Stopped playing when I hit his content

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Final Fantasy XV is about a king sending four friends chosen by The Crystal to go find a princess. It is the ur-Final Fantasy.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Super No Vacancy posted:

I caught Lady Ifrit how do I check its IVs

Speaking of Lady Ifrit, there's a scene of her in the trailer at the end of the demo (which I believe was also shown elsewhere, a few months ago?) that looks like something out of the old Donkey Kong TV show. I think it's the way she kind of raises her arms and moves around...? It's really weird. This game is really weird.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
So we've come full circle then. All we need is Biggs and Wedge.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Terper posted:

Final Fantasy XV is about a king sending four friends chosen by The Crystal to go find a princess. It is the ur-Final Fantasy.

I didn't watch the whole beginning of FF15 videos. I thought the King stealthy sent them away before the poo poo hit the fan on the city, and Luna got captured in the process? That's why Noct is going "What do you mean, the king's dead?!"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tae posted:

I didn't watch the whole beginning of FF15 videos. I thought the King stealthy sent them away before the poo poo hit the fan on the city, and Luna got captured in the process? That's why Noct is going "What do you mean, the king's dead?!"

Kingsglaive is basically FFXV's opening cutscene.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Ok, played up to the first save point in the woff demo. I was sold as soon as I tried out tiny blitz ace, and then it gave me a tiny behemoth to ride.

Also the bestiary thing is great so far.

E: boko got his own little name card, I approved of that. The demo is shameless about going "hey, it's that character you like" so far and I hope it's a bit less stacked in the full game but it's a good approach for a demo

McDragon fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Oct 18, 2016

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Tae posted:

you're reading too much into the "find" part of that comment

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Phantasium posted:

The capture works fine, you have to use Libra to see what conditions you need to meet in order to capture them. It's not like Pokemon where it's exclusively 'get their HP low'. ALSO, you need to have the right kind of consumable item to capture them, the game gives you a free one for all the monsters you meet though so you can always snag one of everything in the demo.

It does have a chance to fail but for most of the conditions you can just keep retrying until you get them pretty easily.

The demo is pretty weird but set to Speed 5 and Active mode it's actually pretty fun and moves along at a decent pace on the more involved fights. You can get a pretty decent glimpse of the mechanics on the boss, like having to knock down the stack with something like Lunge, then focus firing on the healing Chocobo. It's pretty clearly just an E3/TGS teaser demo they re-purposed so it's not structured well at all, kinda sucks. Not that I mind figuring out all the mechanics myself without a tutorial, but that's not a real great way to sell your game.

I'm pretty much sold on it from the demo + watching some of the cutscenes they've shown.
My biggest complaint (which is not a small one I'll say) is the menus feel pretty sluggish and often don't tell you important information you need to know. I also don't like that you apparently can't change size during combat, which just seems weird.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
I was immediately sold on the demo when not only could I stack Reynn->Chocobo->Chocochick, but I could stack a Tonberry on top of Lann's head.

Also if you stack a character on top of a Behemoth, they can do Cross-Slash as a combo attack.

I like a lot of things about this game just from the demo.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

You can also get Cross Slash from the Fenrirs, I didn't look to see if it's just a common skill both have, or if there's some kind of specific skill combo system going on that gives you unique skills for certain combos.

Like Behemoth also gets the earthquake skill in the stack, and Fenrir also gets Lunge which is super good.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Terra is technically an X-Man. Maduin is a human infused with enough magic that it mutated his appearance, but still retain his humanity.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mega64 posted:

Dalamud would like to have a word with you.

Calaveron posted:

EDIT: Looking at some of the new FFXIV stuff, that lady in red is totally Yda and totally a Dancer right?

Her moves are monk ability animations, and she doesn't have Yda's Circle of Knowing tattoo, so neither of those things are certain.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Oct 18, 2016

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Calaveron posted:

Squall's probably the most normal guy since his dad's a human and his mom's a human and the only reason his sister is a witch is because a previous witch decided to have her inherit her powers and would otherwise be a regular human too

Actually Ellone isn't a witch in the same way the others are witches and her powers appear to be completely independent of normal witches in that world. Where she got her powers is unclear. His girlfriend inherited the witch powers eventually.
:goonsay:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

That's the LESSER moon!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The dragon hiding inside the greater moon is gonna be way scarier, guys.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I can't believe that the next FFXIV expansion is about both the best job and the best Scion.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

The World of Final Fantasy demo has almost entirely killed my interest in the game. Dull battles, slow walking pace, RANDOM battles making me not want to explore, and an unengaging location.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

There are apparently more things to do in battle, like knocking down enemy stacks, that the demo doesn't get to show off. You can mount a chocobo or behemoth to ride around on for faster movement.

I would be a lot more forgiving for the random battles if there wasn't a loading screen after you won(or ran). I'm guessing that's some half assed engine poo poo. Also yea the location is meh.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I never could figure out how to use items in battle or summon Tidus with the simple UI. I sort of figured out how to topple stacks around the end of the demo, and I just barely figured out stacking by that point too. Some tutorial screens might have been nice. ImpAtom - does the full game explain things a bit better early on?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Calaveron posted:

All of the CGs take place in the Warriors of Darkness' world, and that lady doesn't have a neck tatoo, so it's probably Minfillia.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

I can't believe that the next FFXIV expansion is about both the best job and the best Scion.

hell yea monk brother, represent!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Fister Roboto posted:

You don't go to Dalamud, Dalamud goes to you

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Levantine posted:

I never could figure out how to use items in battle or summon Tidus with the simple UI. I sort of figured out how to topple stacks around the end of the demo, and I just barely figured out stacking by that point too. Some tutorial screens might have been nice. ImpAtom - does the full game explain things a bit better early on?

Yes, the full game has a ton of "Tips" which pop up explaining everything from how to speed up cutscenes to how to summon.

Toppling stacks is pretty straightforward. Every stack has a certain stability rating and attacking them in any way lowers it. Certain attacks excel at toppling stacks while other attacks barely impact it. You'll see a little yellow and eventually red icon appear when someone is getting close to breaking. If you're trying to break a stack so you can capture a monster remember that you can heal enemies using the Classic view as well. This is an important tactic because without doing it you can't reliably capture some enemies.

Items can only be used from Classic view.
Champion Summons work like this:
There's a little orb on the lower-left. When it fills up enough you get a star. Champions can take one or more stars to summon. To summon you press up on the D pad to scroll through your equipped champions OR do it from classic menu. Regardless you need to build it up. They're kinda like Limit Breaks more than traditional summons.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Oct 18, 2016

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

The capture works fine, you have to use Libra to see what conditions you need to meet in order to capture them. It's not like Pokemon where it's exclusively 'get their HP low'.

I mean the tutorial tells you the conditions for capture are varied but this is what I get for just ignoring Libra like I usually do.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

pee out my butt posted:

All of the CGs take place in the Warriors of Darkness' world

This is incorrect.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

pee out my butt posted:

All of the CGs take place in the Warriors of Darkness' world.

Wrong. The CGs are of our world's Warrior of Light and friends. The characters in the CGs are not the Warriors of Darkness. They just had a similar journey until poo poo went bad for them.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Final Fantasy Mobius is coming to....PC? The gently caress?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Pretty sure SE is just porting every mobile thing ever to the PC at this point.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

MMF Freeway posted:

Pretty sure SE is just porting every mobile thing ever to the PC at this point.

I kinda wish they were, honestly. I want the Mana games on Steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

It's just weird if that's the reason because Mobius is the latest big mobile game they released, instead of like the 3 other major ones. Like, Exvious would be a good pc port because that game needs a controller and it's pretty much a real FF game in flow.