Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Einbauschrank posted:

In the last patch they clarified what each mission expects you to do and whether you need special equipment for it. It's been some time since a mission failed on me. I think the method described by another poster (coattailing the security forces and shooting up "Wanted" guys after they've ganged up on him) is the quickest way out of your Sidey.

I think I may try that. I don't recall how little money I had due to failed missions though; and I never even blew myself up in combat or crashing or anything ever. It was weird making no progress at all while actively trying to do stuff.

And waiting for a hangar bay to open up for many many minutes at these places too.

Tax:

The Titanic fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Oct 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

JazzPaws posted:

I just took the remainder of my refund as a deposit on a new car..

Godspeed and congratulations on purchasing an actual chariot that exists, no sarcasm intended.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

The Titanic posted:

I hope they continue to edit the tattered flag and the man. Years down the road when it says 2025, the flag will just be a pole, and the man a skeleton.

Standing upright because he's been deskeletonized and it's all Metal of course. Since really the Stimpire stuff is 200x more interesting than anything in Star Citizen and would legitimately be a cool setting for a movie/game/book.

It might work if they went all Nemesis the Warlock and you played as the dirty xenos persecuted by an evil tyrannical human empire.

TacticalNecromancy
May 25, 2015

The Titanic posted:

You guys are definitely stacking up the reasons to reinstall Elite. I might do that some weekend. :shobon:

Best advice I can give you there is to pay a visit to the ED thread here and the Diamond Frogs thread. I hopped on the discord after this thread inspired me to try out ED and I've never really looked back. Good advice, good people to talk at.

Second best advice: Wait for the scanner to tell you your target is wanted before you shoot them. The police are quite serious about that.

As for my very casual adventures in ED, I started as per normal, and shoot up through the Eagle and Cobra, eventually ending up with a Vulture.

Got bored of that as it wasn't really what I was in the game for so I sold it to get a DBX and rocketed off into the black for a while,

Used the proceeds from that to buy a AspX and went out again,

Used the money from that to get a Python, which was soley used for trading, which upgraded to the Anaconda, with which I'm back in the black. Played the game for ~9 months, maybe an hour or so a week on average? I've landed on procedually generated planets and driven a bicycle around, flown to blackholes no-one's ever seen before and I've still not gotten very far from the Bubble. Also, everything is pretty.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Sunswipe posted:

Just hit me that Shitizens are like Charlie Brown trying to kick the football. Lucy Roberts keeps setting it up, Charlie Shitizen convinces himself that he'll get it this time, Lucy snatches it away at the last moment. Then Lucy asks for another few million dollars to hold the football again, only Charlie will get to kick it this time, honest.

It's comfortingly predictable. I keep seeing shitizens on various forums saying that all of us doubters will finally learn our lesson once 3.0 hits, but I also remember them saying the same thing about every patch (and even the original release of the baby PU).

Just as The Ship On Sale Is Always The Best Ship, The Next Patch Is Always The Jesus Patch.

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit

TacticalNecromancy posted:

Best advice I can give you there is to pay a visit to the ED thread here and the Diamond Frogs thread. I hopped on the discord after this thread inspired me to try out ED and I've never really looked back. Good advice, good people to talk at.

Second best advice: Wait for the scanner to tell you your target is wanted before you shoot them. The police are quite serious about that.

As for my very casual adventures in ED, I started as per normal, and shoot up through the Eagle and Cobra, eventually ending up with a Vulture.

Got bored of that as it wasn't really what I was in the game for so I sold it to get a DBX and rocketed off into the black for a while,

Used the money from that to get a Python, which was soley used for trading, which upgraded to the Anaconda, with which I'm back in the black. Played the game for ~9 months, maybe an hour or so a week on average? I've landed on procedually generated planets and driven a bicycle around, flown to blackholes no-one's ever seen before and I've still not gotten very far from the Bubble. Also, everything is pretty.

This is exactly why I love E:D, exploration is where it's at but none of my mates have the stomach for it.

Once Multicrew hits I'll just force them out into the black.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
As reported in my Fidelity Of Failure blog of June 22, 2016

Oct/2013: The $25 million milestone came with an interesting update from Chris:

quote:

Even though we’ve fully funded the base game, every extra dollar helps to make the experience better. The content we talk about in these stretch goals isn’t “feature creep”; it’s elements we’ve been building and planning that will be all that more impressive with additional resources. In essence, you’re putting things we’ve already discussed for the future into development now. The extra funding means we’re secure in assigning resources to go ahead and begin developing that richer content we had initially planned to fund through the game’s success upon release.Thank you for your continued support of and trust in project. You have empowered the team to make Star Citizen something truly special… the Best drat Space Sim Ever!“

Here we are at the end of 2016, a full two years later - and neither game has been released. And Star Citizen has been pushed way past the END of 2017.

No wonder some citizens are trying to bail when refunds fail.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=%22star%20citizen%22&ssPageName=GSTL

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

D_Smart posted:

As reported in my Fidelity Of Failure blog of June 22, 2016

Oct/2013: The $25 million milestone came with an interesting update from Chris:

Here we are at the end of 2016, a full two years later - and neither game has been released. And Star Citizen has been pushed way past the END of 2017.

There's an ever better quote from when they were around 40 million (I think) where he states "the more money means we can start building the separate parts simultaneously instead of releasing by parts and you will get the game much sooner". I can't be arsed to find it but I'm sure someone has the link on hand.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Quavers posted:

Good news from INN:
Social Module “Subsumption” Update

Social module will be filled with intelligent NPCs going about their lives.
This update will add the second environment to Social module which will be the Levski landing zone on the asteroid Delamar in the system Nyx.

I remember making a couple posts about it, back when this update was coming 'soon'. It was going to be an update to Arc Corp, back when the game was still planned as separate modules. After 2.0 got released, it completely fell off everyone's radar. From every indication that they've given, they encountered production problems with their contractor (Kythera). Their recent videos talk about how the German studio is building the tools, and doing all of the work in-house. This doesn't jive with the notion that it was supposed to be close to release over a year ago.

The AI got Star Marine'd and no one noticed.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
As you may or may not know, we're currently in the process of moving off this old-rear end rickety shitbarge known as vB and migrating to a BRAND NEW PACKAGE OF WONDERFUL FORUM SOFTWARE THAT OFFERS FEATURES YOU WOULD'VE NEVER BELIEVED WERE POSSIBLE BACK IN 2002 OR 172 FOR THAT MATTER!

Also as you may or may not know WE DON'T HAVE MUCH MONEY BECAUSE WE'RE NOT POPULAR OR COOL ANYMORE AND EVERYBODY HAS MOVED ON TO poo poo LIKE SNAPCHAT OR INSTAGERM OR CLOWNCAR OR WHATEVER! So we're going to simply copy the quickest and easiest way to generate revenue in the history of the universe, which is do it the Star Citizen way!

If you donate now, I will personally draw and email to you a jpeg spaceship OF YOUR VERY OWN! Completely unique and amazing, each digital spaceship will have its own stats, numbers, weapons, and various other poo poo I come up with the drunker I get. The more money you donate, the bigger and better and more awesomer spaceship you will receive! Like if you donate under $10, I'll just send you a copy of six lines which may or may not intersect with each other, but if you donate $100,000,000... hoo boy, I'll spend at least 10 minutes on your drawing. It'll have the best stats, the biggest numbers, a bunch of weapons, all that poo poo. Nobody will be able to beat your awesome digital jpg spaceship!

And just like Star Citizen, these spaceships WILL ACTUALLY BE PLAYABLE in a future release! We guarantee it! You'll be able to shoot other spaceships with your spaceship in the upcoming SA Forums MMO: Spaceman Spaceship Wars (In Space), which will ship with SA Forums 20.0!

This is not a joke! I'm dead serious, especially about the being broke as a clown part, and I'm ready to start pumping out digital jpg spaceships for all the brave Goon Citizens who volunteer to take yet another hit in their wallet for the sake of a dumb outdated gay dead forum.

Please send us all your money now and reap the amazing rewards digital jpg spaceships of your dreams!

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Star Marine: MIA "Rolled into the PU"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1twANOKfG8

Battlefield One:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ptGPTYaH1M

Yes Chris, Star Marine is on the same level if not better than BF One.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Marching you better get in there and tell Lowtax to stop touching the poop.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

MeLKoR posted:

There's an ever better quote from when they were around 40 million (I think) where he states "the more money means we can start building the separate parts simultaneously instead of releasing by parts and you will get the game much sooner". I can't be arsed to find it but I'm sure someone has the link on hand.

Probably the $20m one?

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13284-Letter-From-The-Chairman-20-Million

quote:

There has been some concern about “feature creep” with the additional stretch goals. You should all know that we carefully consider the goals we announce. Typically the stretch goals fall into two categories;

The first are goals that involve features we already have planned or have implemented, but we couldn’t create content because of budgetary constraints. The first person combat on select planets is a great example of this type of goal. We already have FPS combat as part of the game in ship boarding, and we already have most of this already functional thanks to CryEngine, as we essentially have Crysis3 functionality out of the box. But creating all the environments and assets to fill them is a huge task, so we were planning on not doing any planetside combat initially, simply because of its cost, with the idea that we would slowly roll it out once the game is live. But with the additional funds we can now afford to create some of this content earlier rather than later.

The facial capture system is an example of the second type, where we identify technology and equipment that will make the game better and allow us to be more nimble and economically efficient in continually creating content for the ongoing universe that we are aiming to support. The motion capture system and sound studio were goals that feel into this category.

But both types of goals are carefully considered — we don’t commit to adding features that would hold up the game’s ability to go “live” in a fully functional state. Also remember that this is not like a typical retail boxed product — there is no rule that all features and content have to come online at the same time! As you can see from the Hangar Module we plan to make functionality and content come on line as it’s ready, so you should look at the stretch goals as a window into the future of functionality and content additions we plan for the live game.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

D_Smart posted:

holy smokes

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

D_Smart posted:

Why do I get the feeling that some of this is money laundering?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Tokamak posted:

Why do I get the feeling that some of this is money laundering?

Maybe because, as some of us have said all along, it is?

EDIT: There's a $5,000 iDris on there btw

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Oct 18, 2016

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

I think it was later in the game :haw: and more along the lines of "the extra funding will allow us to deliver the content sooner".

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

scrubs season six posted:

Like maybe the NPC in the bottom turret of your Connie thinks that he's better than the top gunner, so he's pissed off about it and therefore gets a -2 modifier to his accuracy.

And maybe the NPC engineer you've hired is worried that his NPC wife is cheating on him so he misses the fact that your hyperdrive has a 90% chance of malfunctioning before you reach your destination.

It'll be the most amazing AI ever put into a game and is truly revolutionary like everything else The Crobbler does.

One of the more hilarious discussions was when a bunch of spergs, worried that someone would kit out their mega-chariot with all NPCs, insisted that CIG must "dumb them down" so as to make human players more preferable in multicrew ships.

Dumb it down.......

Something that doesn't exist............

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

thatguy posted:

Only if it will upset people like Marching Powder.

Xaerael posted:

Marching Powder? More like Marching Pouter right?

Danknificent posted:

When are guys like that not upset?

thatguy posted:

Marching you better get in there and tell Lowtax to stop touching the poop.

like i'm loving candyman. no. you're right. it is definitely me who is mad.

hang on... anxiety every time they see me post anything.... obsessing over anything i do or don't do, or just making things up to be mad at, making up pet names for me, almost impossibly pathetic....

i've been getting the feeling for a while that most of the lovely posters itt are basically citizens just without spaceship pictures, and if that's true, you guys would be

Xaerael posted:

Marching Powder? More like Marching Pouter right?

hahahaha i have my own r/ds making me

citizen posted:

DEREK SHART

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Croberts, the crobbler, Sandra Roberts. We were the spergs all along/

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Sandra (((Gardner)))

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Marching Powder posted:

hang on... anxiety every time they see me post anything.... obsessing over anything i do or don't do, or just making things up to be mad at, making up pet names for me, almost impossibly pathetic....

i've been getting the feeling for a while that most of the lovely posters itt are basically citizens just without spaceship pictures, and if that's true, you guys would be

Calm down dude.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TacticalNecromancy posted:

Dang that's nice. :3:

I kind of kept track of the ED thread, but lost out months/year+ ago when the issues I've already explained took place. Just kind of wrote it off as one of those things. I was not an early backer, but when it came out I bought it that first week.

I want to do the planet landing stuff, but I don't have more than that starter ship, so never bought it.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Raskolnikov posted:

Star Marine: MIA "Rolled into the PU"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1twANOKfG8

Battlefield One:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ptGPTYaH1M

Yes Chris, Star Marine is on the same level if not better than BF One.

BF1 looks really good. It looks very fun as well. I don't do many FPS games but this might have to be one.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Marching Powder posted:

I'm not quite sure what gimmick you've decided to develop but it's getting a bit weird.

I don't think anybody really is bent out of shape over you posting or not. Just kind of passing time between crazy CIG stuff, not so much targeted attacks or anything.

Be chill, friend. :)

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Starcitizen_trades/comments/57zeqp/wttpanera_bread_gift_card_for_any_ship_giving_150/

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

thatguy posted:

As you may or may not know, we're currently in the process of moving off this old-rear end rickety shitbarge known as vB and migrating to a BRAND NEW PACKAGE OF WONDERFUL FORUM SOFTWARE THAT OFFERS FEATURES YOU WOULD'VE NEVER BELIEVED WERE POSSIBLE BACK IN 2002 OR 172 FOR THAT MATTER!

Also as you may or may not know WE DON'T HAVE MUCH MONEY BECAUSE WE'RE NOT POPULAR OR COOL ANYMORE AND EVERYBODY HAS MOVED ON TO poo poo LIKE SNAPCHAT OR INSTAGERM OR CLOWNCAR OR WHATEVER! So we're going to simply copy the quickest and easiest way to generate revenue in the history of the universe, which is do it the Star Citizen way!

If you donate now, I will personally draw and email to you a jpeg spaceship OF YOUR VERY OWN! Completely unique and amazing, each digital spaceship will have its own stats, numbers, weapons, and various other poo poo I come up with the drunker I get. The more money you donate, the bigger and better and more awesomer spaceship you will receive! Like if you donate under $10, I'll just send you a copy of six lines which may or may not intersect with each other, but if you donate $100,000,000... hoo boy, I'll spend at least 10 minutes on your drawing. It'll have the best stats, the biggest numbers, a bunch of weapons, all that poo poo. Nobody will be able to beat your awesome digital jpg spaceship!

And just like Star Citizen, these spaceships WILL ACTUALLY BE PLAYABLE in a future release! We guarantee it! You'll be able to shoot other spaceships with your spaceship in the upcoming SA Forums MMO: Spaceman Spaceship Wars (In Space), which will ship with SA Forums 20.0!

This is not a joke! I'm dead serious, especially about the being broke as a clown part, and I'm ready to start pumping out digital jpg spaceships for all the brave Goon Citizens who volunteer to take yet another hit in their wallet for the sake of a dumb outdated gay dead forum.

Please send us all your money now and reap the amazing rewards digital jpg spaceships of your dreams!

I saw this and realized that I've probably gone a dozen years without paying anything for this forum. Considering the endless hours of entertainment over the years, I donated $50 to get a decent but not spectacular collection of lines that might even intersect at some point.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

The Titanic posted:

Dang that's nice. :3:

I kind of kept track of the ED thread, but lost out months/year+ ago when the issues I've already explained took place. Just kind of wrote it off as one of those things. I was not an early backer, but when it came out I bought it that first week.

I want to do the planet landing stuff, but I don't have more than that starter ship, so never bought it.

Contrary to popular belief, gameplay isn't limited by your ship. The sidewinder can load a SRV and you can do all your exploration in that.

My own opinion, the Cobra is the end game ship, with it, you can do everything and do them pretty well. Anything more is just creme and meta-gameplay, if you're into that kinda thing.

I've flown with a bunch of friends in railwinders (sidewinders with twin rail guns) to PVP. It's good, cheap fun. Sure you die, but the rebuy / insurance is so low its negligible.

Also dying in a starter ship is free, so feel free to die. (ba dum tshh)

Side note, with all these "ships" that Star Citizen has for so many unique roles, what was / is their solution to ship transfers and the like? Was this asked before? Will it be like EVE?

Cause having several ships now in ED is such a pain in the rear end the manage, ship transfers can't come soon enough.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Marching Powder posted:

Squeaky toy continues to squeak.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

trucutru posted:

In the end he concludes that the guy with the shittier ship has the actual advantage. (In SA I would be 100% certain he's trolling, but in that subreddit I have not idea)

Thefuck did i just read.
Why did i just read it.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Marching Powder posted:

You're a nosecandyman.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I randomly decided to check the thread again and yup it's still all about Marching Powder

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Sunswipe posted:

Just hit me that Shitizens are like Charlie Brown trying to kick the football. Lucy Roberts keeps setting it up, Charlie Shitizen convinces himself that he'll get it this time, Lucy snatches it away at the last moment. Then Lucy asks for another few million dollars to hold the football again, only Charlie will get to kick it this time, honest.

Humility is Linus.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Marching Powder posted:

i'm loving candyman.

I don't mean to dox, but is this you?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

orcinus posted:

You're a nosecandyman.

hahaha nice

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
i got bored and did some hardcore spreadsheeting

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

ComfyPants posted:

Godspeed and congratulations on purchasing an actual chariot that exists, no sarcasm intended.

How can you be sure?
Maybe it was a Tesla Model 3.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

CrazyTolradi posted:

Squeaky toy continues to squeak.

Swesteel 3 points 4 hours ago

So classy, much clever.

Not bothering, this is just more low-level trolling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Wise Learned Man posted:

It's comfortingly predictable. I keep seeing shitizens on various forums saying that all of us doubters will finally learn our lesson once 3.0 hits, but I also remember them saying the same thing about every patch (and even the original release of the baby PU).

Just as The Ship On Sale Is Always The Best Ship, The Next Patch Is Always The Jesus Patch.

The truly funy part is - they interpret this as ”instigators moving the goalposts”, not as ”CIG keeps not delivering”.

• Locked thread