Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Alkydere posted:

They'd have to be early game ones. The enemy -> builder mulching is done only by their unique warrior. And I'm not sure how unique traits are carried over in unit upgrades in VI (probably completely arbitrarily like in V).

Then again, the early wonders are the best to use forests on.

Eagle warriors are surprisingly strong. They have 28 strength compared to 20 for the warrior and get a bonus versus spear units.

With a promotion or a few luxury resources you could probably use eagle warriors to fight swordsmen(35 strength) if you wanted to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Gamesguy posted:

Eagle warriors are surprisingly strong. They have 28 strength compared to 20 for the warrior and get a bonus versus spear units.

With a promotion or a few luxury resources you could probably use eagle warriors to fight swordsmen(35 strength) if you wanted to.

Ah, good to know they'll likely be good for a second, maybe third war too!

I really don't know the details/numbers because I haven't been watching streams. Wanna keep it fairly fresh for myself (and avoid hype-overload).

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

Also, that combat bonus goes to every Aztec combat unit (including religious units?), not just the Eagle Warriors. Most unique traits of other civs seem to add +5 strength for specific units or situations. If the Well of Souls site is anything to go by, there are at least twenty-four luxury resources the Aztec could potentially take, each giving +1 combat bonus. Even having a fraction of those luxuries makes them dangerous, and if you have a luxury he doesn't have, Montezuma's agenda probably guarantees a war between you and him. I'd imagine you'd want to take him out ASAP.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Davincie posted:

they have each others pictures...

I mean I don't know why people are saying daughter specifically, the relationship is depicted very vaguely.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ew, yeah. I wonder if the ability counts trading, too; if so, you don't necessarily want to trade with the Aztecs either (but conversely get even more out of trades than most people and want to be trading with anyone you're not murdering probably). Jeez.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
a

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 31, 2022

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I mean I don't know why people are saying daughter specifically, the relationship is depicted very vaguely.

Because she looks significantly younger than him, and people are generally charitable, so they assume "daughter" instead of "child bride."

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Pretty sure that early Monty and Scythia plays are going to involve just murdering the poo poo out of the nearest city state(s) as an alternative to building settlers. I have a feeling that in a patch somewhere down the line, city-states will start with ancient walls, just to avoid aggressive civs from getting a stronger start because they murdered the nearest city-state for a better city than they could settle and get up.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Huh, Steam's giving me the option to preload the game on my Mac.

Does this mean a simultaneous PC / Mac release?

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.

Peas and Rice posted:

Oh god I hope so, please update accordingly

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Peas and Rice posted:

The people at civ fanatics say the Mac preload is just a placeholder. Aspyr is hoping for a simultaneus release but makes no promises. http://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/release-for-mac.600009/

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The one thing I take away from the whole 'settler/builder incraesing costs' thing is that warfare is now a much better way to expand your empire. Capture a city stuffed with districts? Score!

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

Serephina posted:

The one thing I take away from the whole 'settler/builder incraesing costs' thing is that warfare is now a much better way to expand your empire. Capture a city stuffed with districts? Score!

counterpoint: War Weariness

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Captain Gordon posted:

counterpoint: War Weariness

Also, conquered cities don't grow unless you a) get a peace deal ceding control or b) you wipe the enemy player off the map.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Alkydere posted:

Also, conquered cities don't grow unless you a) get a peace deal ceding control or b) you wipe the enemy player off the map.

Doesn't apply with city-states.

Edit: Well I guess that's technically B.

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Sure, but CS bonuses are pretty significant, so you might not want to simply conquer them.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Oh god I hope so, please update accordingly

I won't have a Mac that can hope to run it until Thursday but I'll update then.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Alkydere posted:

Yes, but they produce, don't they? And if you can take one city, you've already won the war. The city now not going up in pop for the ten turns it takes for the AI to stop crying is a better deal than what you got in Civ5. The standard smash&grab of civ5 warfare just got a lot more appealing.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
It was a mistake to preload, because now I've got the icon on my desktop and I keep clicking it.

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.

Ein Sexmonster posted:

So if you're willing to do the vpn activation rigmarole you can start playing noon thursday est.

Guess I'm taking Thursday off too.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Will VPN shenanigans get you in hot water with Valve? It's fall break and I aint doing poo poo Thursday. It's so tempting.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Roland Jones posted:

Ew, yeah. I wonder if the ability counts trading, too; if so, you don't necessarily want to trade with the Aztecs either (but conversely get even more out of trades than most people and want to be trading with anyone you're not murdering probably). Jeez.

I believe the ability specifically states "for each unique luxury resource with an improvement in Aztec territory".

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Will VPN shenanigans get you in hot water with Valve? It's fall break and I aint doing poo poo Thursday. It's so tempting.

They will absolutely go after you if you violate regional pricing.

They don't seem to care about unlocking stuff so much, as I've done it a couple times.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The common wisdom is that VPNing to get another region's price will be punished, while VPNing to get a game a couple hours early is fine (and very popular).

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.

Kibbles n Shits posted:

I've done it a few times without issue. As the others already said, as long as you don't do it to purchase something cheaper, you'll be okay.

Just log out of Steam (log out, don't just close it), turn on the VPN, and log back into Steam. Then either keep the VPN on or use Steam in offline mode until your area's unlock or the game will relock.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gamesguy posted:

I believe the ability specifically states "for each unique luxury resource with an improvement in Aztec territory".

Ah, fair point. I didn't check that, but that's good to know.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Sjonnar posted:

Because she looks significantly younger than him, and people are generally charitable, so they assume "daughter" instead of "child bride."

Fair, I can't really place their ages to be honest, maybe I'm having some trouble with the style and also I've been conditioned to assume a man and a woman being introduced together are more likely husband and wife rather than daughter and single father.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
It'll be 9pm PT time, which is good enough for me. I should be wrapping up Dragon Quest Builders by about then :). Still can't decide if I want to watch vids or not...they somehow feel spoilery to me, but I'm a bad player so I probably need the info.

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
I'd say most of the preview videos demonstrate that you'll do fine without spoilers if you start on Prince and remember to fear the barbarian hordes.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Yeah, if the barbs capture a city then they raze it to the ground, so you probably don't want to let them do that.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011

CaptCommy posted:

If anyone else waited forever to pre-order and missed the other discounts, wingamestore has it for 20% off with voucher 20offciv6

http://www.wingamestore.com/product/5698/Sid-Meiers-Civilization-VI/

Just bought it myself, got the key immediately.

Thanks you, it still works! But it's saying '20% off Civ VI Mac Pre-Order', and I clearly want it for windows.

Is that, uh, just a display error or something.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Cosmic Afro posted:

Thanks you, it still works! But it's saying '20% off Civ VI Mac Pre-Order', and I clearly want it for windows.

Is that, uh, just a display error or something.

It must be, because I ordered it just now and it's in the process of preloading on my Windows PC.

After watching people play the pre-release version on YouTube, plus the discount code from this thread, I realize just how damned vulnerable I am to the Civilization franchise.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011

paperwind posted:

It must be, because I ordered it just now and it's in the process of preloading on my Windows PC.

After watching people play the pre-release version on YouTube, plus the discount code from this thread, I realize just how damned vulnerable I am to the Civilization franchise.

Did you have the Mac Preorder thingie, too? I suppose it's just weird.

Cosmic Afro fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Oct 18, 2016

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Cosmic Afro posted:

Did you have the Mac Preorder thingie, too?

I did. It threw me, but I figured since it was a Steam key that it literally wouldn't matter. Now to pass the time until Friday by playing Civs of bygone years.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Still waiting on my GamersGate key. Technically I don't need it yet, and it was earlier confirmed (or at least stated) that it would arrive within about twelve hours at the latest, but still. The anticipation is intense and I want to start preloading.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Luckily the preload is only 4gb, which is about 10% the size of what I would expect of a game nowadays. Civ V with dlcs is around 8gb, also way less than I thought.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Odobenidae posted:

Luckily the preload is only 4gb, which is about 10% the size of what I would expect of a game nowadays. Civ V with dlcs is around 8gb, also way less than I thought.

Strategy games tend to be smaller than most. Hearts of Iron 4 is 1.6 GB, for example.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Don't need silly amounts of space for fmv or voice acting or super detailed textures, plus you proc generate most maps

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Fair, I can't really place their ages to be honest, maybe I'm having some trouble with the style and also I've been conditioned to assume a man and a woman being introduced together are more likely husband and wife rather than daughter and single father.

Also fair. And perhaps she's intended to be his wife, and it's just the anime eyes making people assume she's significantly younger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Astronaut lady has a photo of World War II man so it's clearly a generational thing and I've already written too many words about the intro video to a Civ game