Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Dashlane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Housh posted:

I swear to god outlook is still the best for professional iOS email use

Does Outlook support Activesync as in hosted Exchange accounts?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

kiwid posted:

Does Outlook support Activesync as in hosted Exchange accounts?

Yes but a lot of IT departments block it since it ignores security policy. It's more suited towards O365.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

LmaoTheKid posted:

Yes but a lot of IT departments block it since it ignores security policy. It's more suited towards O365.

Ah well thank gently caress I'm the IT guy then. I'm going to give it a go.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

O365 on iOS is great. I got the IT dept to figure out the licenses to get the apps authorized. Who would've thought Microsoft Office is amazing on iPad Pro. Honestly Word, PowerPoint, and Excel run the best on iOS.

OWA got dramatically better over the years. They scrapped all that windows phone tiles poo poo and made native apps. I used it through two work environments. Outlook is all I use for all email and I prefer to do my emails on my iPad or phone then a desktop.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

What do the colours mean on the route tracking part of the activity app? I assume they're about how fast you're going or something, but I'm not sure if red is fastest or slowest.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Housh posted:

I swear to god outlook is still the best for professional iOS email use

Hmm there seems to be two apps. Outlook and OWA. Which one were you referring to?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

kiwid posted:

Hmm there seems to be two apps. Outlook and OWA. Which one were you referring to?

Has to be Outlook.

I don't think OWA is even supported anymore. It's hasn't had an update in over 10 months.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Outlook. OWA was the weird windows phone tiles poo poo. Outlook is the app that came out with O365.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Housh posted:

Outlook. OWA was the weird windows phone tiles poo poo. Outlook is the app that came out with O365.

Outlook is re-branded Acompli. O365 had been out a while. Before they bought Acompli, OWA was the only "official" app from MS for O365.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Has anyone had problems with Outlook and gmail lately? It never seems to know when I get an email anymore. I got a notification for 9 emails at once today, and the oldest was timestamped for yesterday morning.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

I was recently gifted $100 in iTunes credit and have no idea what to spend it on. Comedy answers are for sure encouraged, but some serious ones would be nice. Any apps you've thought about buying but the price point prevented you from doing so?

The first app I bought was an iMessage eggplant sticker pack for a buck. Then I bought Leo's Fortune which is a pretty fantastic game. I should have bought it a while ago, honestly.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

ShoogaSlim posted:

I was recently gifted $100 in iTunes credit and have no idea what to spend it on. Comedy answers are for sure encouraged, but some serious ones would be nice. Any apps you've thought about buying but the price point prevented you from doing so?

The first app I bought was an iMessage eggplant sticker pack for a buck. Then I bought Leo's Fortune which is a pretty fantastic game. I should have bought it a while ago, honestly.

Well all I can recommend is stuff I've bought -- the Square Enix "Go" games (Lara Croft, Hitman), a password manager, Dark Sky.

Oh yea! MacID is worth it if you use a Mac and don't own an Apple Watch for its unlocking ability.

enojy fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 16, 2016

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Buy me the Artemis directors viewfinder app plz

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Plex, Tweetbot, ScannerPro, Minecraft PE, This War of Mine, Papers, Please.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Ghost Trick is a great game with a bunch of super charming characters. Same with the Ace Attorney games. Worth buying them for sure.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Ok so I think I have a solid mail setup now.

I have both my google apps (personal) and my office 365 (work) accounts syncing everything except mail with the native iPhone integration. Then I'm using Inbox by Google for my google apps mail and I'm using Outlook for my Office 365 mail. Using the native iPhone calendar and contacts and everything seems to be working great, and I'm getting notifications from Inbox and Outlook.

Unrelated to this, does anyone know what the best twitter app is? I don't Tweet much myself but I follow 3 very important people related to my career and want something where I can get notifications for these 3 people or something.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
If you don't use it much and only follow three people just get the Twitter app and turn notifications on for those people.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

enojy posted:

Well all I can recommend is stuff I've bought -- the Square Enix "Go" games (Lara Croft, Hitman), a password manager, Dark Sky.

Oh yea! MacID is worth it if you use a Mac and don't own an Apple Watch for its unlocking ability.

I bought Dark Sky while living in New York, and while it's accurate, I found that the notifications weren't as prominent as I'd have liked them to be. That is probably just a fault of iOS 10 literally clumping together every single notification you get in chronological order and have to be dismissed individually or altogether for the entire day regardless of what app it came from. Super annoying. Anyway, I just recently moved to LA and Dark Sky is useless because it's bone dry out here.

I bought Tomb Raider Go when it was on sale for a buck but it didn't really do much for me.

Password Manager is a good suggestion, though. I use 1Password but should probably pay for it and clean up some of the overlapping login stuff I have. Thanks!

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Quantum of Phallus posted:

If you don't use it much and only follow three people just get the Twitter app and turn notifications on for those people.

Ok thanks.

Also is there a list of touch commands somewhere?

I've had the phone for a week and just learnt about force touching apps to get pop downs for more actions. I've tried googling but and seem to find a complete list.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Tap, tap-and-hold, 3D Touch. That's basically it for how you interact with the screen by pressing on it. But you can also swipe from the left edge toward the right to go back a screen in a lot of apps, you can swipe down to refresh the feed of most apps (including Awful, where you can also swipe up from the bottom of the page of a thread to advance to the next page). You can swipe notifications from the lock screen or notification center to clear them individually (3D Touch them for more options, etc).

Basically just swipe, tap, tap/hold, and 3D Touch things to figure out what they do. You'll get the hang of things quickly.

ray_finkle_himself
Sep 7, 2012
So is 1password free to use on iOS but costs money on windows? If I store all my passwords in the app am I stuck typing them in manually on windows?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

ShoogaSlim posted:

If you run out of apps to buy you can pay your netflix subscription with it.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

~Coxy posted:

If you run out of apps to buy you can pay your netflix subscription with it.

I actually won a $100 gift card to Netflix a few months back and just kicked that off recently. I would love to pay my Spotify bill with this credit, though. Not sure if that's possible in the same way.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

ShoogaSlim posted:

I actually won a $100 gift card to Netflix a few months back and just kicked that off recently. I would love to pay my Spotify bill with this credit, though. Not sure if that's possible in the same way.

It was until recently, but Spotify didn't want to pay Apple the portion of App Store revenue it's supposed to get for all in-app purchases, so you have to pay directly through the Spotify site now.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

ray_finkle_himself posted:

So is 1password free to use on iOS but costs money on windows? If I store all my passwords in the app am I stuck typing them in manually on windows?

https://1password.com/ you're in a 30 day free trial. It will end and you will no longer be allowed to add passwords until you've paid, although you'll still be able to retrieve. Reading the descriptions of the Apps you download and maybe checking their websites is recommended before posting the most basic of questions about them.

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop

Grassy Knowles posted:

https://1password.com/ you're in a 30 day free trial. It will end and you will no longer be allowed to add passwords until you've paid, although you'll still be able to retrieve. Reading the descriptions of the Apps you download and maybe checking their websites is recommended before posting the most basic of questions about them.

1Password for iOS uses a different model and is truly free, with limits.

You can only use one local vault unless you pay for the "pro features", or login with an account. You CAN sync the vault to Windows, if you have the paid Windows version and are using Dropbox or WiFi sync, and you're okay with using the old (v4) version of the Windows app.

It's not a great experience overall and yeah you should probably try out the 1Password account service.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

One look at the App Store tells me that Apple made a mistake by not having their own DNG capture/export client built into iOS.

What's the best app for that that isn't an attempt at rent-seeking Adobe.?

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Is there such a thing as an app that strings together short audio news stories? I was using NPR One until it started randomly playing when I wasn't touching the phone, and I don't spend much time in the car at once, so I prefer shorter chunks rather than 60 minute episodes that'd take me 2 to 3 days' drive to finish.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

dont be mean to me posted:

One look at the App Store tells me that Apple made a mistake by not having their own DNG capture/export client built into iOS.

What's the best app for that that isn't an attempt at rent-seeking Adobe.?

I know! It pains me to think that a contributing factor to them excluding RAW support in the default camera app is because they know a lot of dodos use iPhones, and RAW image captures can tend to look much worse than a processed JPEG. All of a sudden, oh no don't buy iPhones anymore, the camera sucks and file sizes got even bigger.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Befor I updated to iOS 10, when I opened the stock clock app I could tap on a location to open a big full screen clock. I don't seem to be able to do this after updating. Is this no longer possible with the clock app? If so, any suggestions for displaying a clean clock face without any ads or other nonsense?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Celery Jello posted:

Is there such a thing as an app that strings together short audio news stories? I was using NPR One until it started randomly playing when I wasn't touching the phone, and I don't spend much time in the car at once, so I prefer shorter chunks rather than 60 minute episodes that'd take me 2 to 3 days' drive to finish.

So you want, what, shorter podcasts?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

tuyop posted:

I can definitely relate to the OP as my drives are rarely longer than 15 minutes but having some quickcasts (copywriting that poo poo right now brb).

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
Listen to short podcasts, like:

• 99% Invisible
  • Reply All
  • Lore
  • The Memory Palace
  • Monster in My Podcast
  • Robot or Not?
  • Dan Carlin's Hardcore History

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

Wrist Watch posted:

Befor I updated to iOS 10, when I opened the stock clock app I could tap on a location to open a big full screen clock. I don't seem to be able to do this after updating. Is this no longer possible with the clock app? If so, any suggestions for displaying a clean clock face without any ads or other nonsense?

If you're Xcode-development-inclined, I threw together a super-simple clock app for my sister because she begged me enough. It's super no-frills and not appstore-worthy by any means.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

cbirdsong posted:

Listen to short podcasts, like:

• 99% Invisible
  • Reply All
  • Lore
  • The Memory Palace
  • Monster in My Podcast
  • Robot or Not?

That last one is dope, and I appreciate the list.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

cbirdsong posted:

Heh

:stare:

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

Wrist Watch posted:

Try rotating the phone and sliding over.

I am on iOS 9 and tapping a location does nothing. When you rotate to landscape you get the map view, then when you slide over from that you get the big jumbo clock.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

tuyop posted:

Well, I was thinking more along the lines of the individual news stories that NPR One plays. Some further research after that post found a section on the App Store where people read articles from various sites (the "Spoken Version" collection), and the list that was posted is also helpful (thanks cbirdsong!).

I guess I was being picky - NPR One's big feature is that I can turn it on and it just plays a couple articles back to back, like a Pandora-esque thing. I wasn't aware that there wasn't a large quantity of that type of content (I sort of assumed all the major publications put one out, seems like a lot of them don't?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

cage-free egghead posted:

I can definitely relate to the OP as my drives are rarely longer than 15 minutes but having some quickcasts (copywriting that poo poo right now brb).

I'd love something like Reuters TV, but for audio.